Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Action Jacktion posted:

JMS posted his memories of Harlan Ellison (too long to post here):

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/1999083533459833

That's a pro click, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Darth Freddy posted:

Saw that this was on amazon prime and geeked out a little to hard, wife made fun of me. Haven't seen this show since I was a kid so binging hard. Just hit the second season today.

Its not free in the UK, boo for that. At least there's Lexx though!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

Also:

That was a pretty unrealistic date even when they made that episode.

I don't know if it's so much unrealistic as in impossible as it is just unrealistic as in people stopped caring about the moon. It's probably possible to put down some buildings up there and even send people to stay there for years at a time, but there isn't really interest for it so far as I know. Everybody's just speculating about getting a human being to Mars.

Sci Fi where humanity's out there living in space just kinda implicitly assumes that there's a good reason to stay on some other celestial body, but so far as I know, nobody's really found one yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You mean aside from “keep the Russians from getting there”?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

I'm tearing up. :(

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know if it's so much unrealistic as in impossible as it is just unrealistic as in people stopped caring about the moon. It's probably possible to put down some buildings up there and even send people to stay there for years at a time, but there isn't really interest for it so far as I know. Everybody's just speculating about getting a human being to Mars.

Sci Fi where humanity's out there living in space just kinda implicitly assumes that there's a good reason to stay on some other celestial body, but so far as I know, nobody's really found one yet.

Mars has been fifteen years away my entire life (knowing about Mars). Let’s not even do the fusion chat.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Action Jacktion posted:

Also:

That was a pretty unrealistic date even when they made that episode.

Not if Gingrich were in the Whitehouse :argh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Reminds me of when colonies get brought up in Star Trek. The colonies are usually on pristine M class planets with like... a few thousand on them? Stargate too, usually a village cantered around the gate and little else on an entire planet.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
A lot of the colonies in Star Trek seem to be weird ideological enclaves, like the Scottish planet or the Irish planet or the anti-technology planet. That at least makes sense - there's no economic reason to leave Earth, but you might want to get away for other reasons once interstellar travel becomes easy enough.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
When your whole planet has the same biome, you don't need to spread out much to find other resources.

According to most sci-fi shows, earth as a planet is an anomaly in that it has a whole lot of different environments spread out over the surface.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The tiny Trek colonies are weird but I figured it was partly because humans hadn't been out there that long. Even by TNG era human deep space exploration is only about 200 years old, and Earth is paradise so I doubt there's a huge crush of people desperate to get out to the colonies. Natural growth without immigration would take a long time.

SG-1 was weirder since a lot of those planets had been populated for thousands of years. But there were some that they mention massive cities on and just didn't show because of budget, presumably.

Friendly Fire posted:

When your whole planet has the same biome, you don't need to spread out much to find other resources.

According to most sci-fi shows, earth as a planet is an anomaly in that it has a whole lot of different environments spread out over the surface.

Multi-biome worlds are good, but I also always was confused when people would say it was unrealistic to have a desert world or an ice world or whatever. Like, we have multiple desert and ice worlds in our own solar system. There's nothing unrealistic about them, you can go look at pictures of the real thing.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 7, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Grand Fromage posted:

Multi-biome worlds are good, but I also always was confused when people would say it was unrealistic to have a desert world or an ice world or whatever. Like, we have multiple desert and ice worlds in our own solar system. There's nothing unrealistic about them, you can go look at pictures of the real thing.

Them existing isn't in doubt. Single biome worlds being worth colonising is more to the point. A desert or ice world are unlikely to be able to support life as complex as human beings because the various ecosystems aren't in place to produce everything needed.

Planetary bases are fair enough but full community type settlements seem a bit iffy.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Exactly. Single-biome planets are fine, but the unrealistic thing is showing single-biome planets as more or less the same as Earth otherwise. I'm not sure it ever shows up in Star Trek much, but I can buy that planets like Tatooine in Star Wars only had sentient life because of immigration.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

There's all kinds of film flaws that show up on the Amazon Prime content.

I actually kind of like it, it's like an old school movie.

Also lol in Season 2 Ep 20 the guy who did the Civ 5 tech quotes is in this episode as a Narn.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2018

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

SG-1 was weirder since a lot of those planets had been populated for thousands of years. But there were some that they mention massive cities on and just didn't show because of budget, presumably.

Also, the Goa'uld coming by every so often to just wreck poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

skooma512 posted:

There's all kinds of film flaws that show up on the Amazon Prime content.

I actually kind of like it, it's like an old school movie.

Also lol in Season 2 Ep 20 the guy who did the Civ 5 tech quotes is in this episode as a Narn.

You missed his first appearance as the Soul Hunter, then? W. Morgan Sheppard is hugely underrated, he pretty much made that episode work.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

You missed his first appearance as the Soul Hunter, then? W. Morgan Sheppard is hugely underrated, he pretty much made that episode work.

And he was almost cast as G'kar. Would have made for a very different show...

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jedit posted:

That guy has one of the most distinctive voices, and knows how to use it. He's great.

Everyone probably knows this, but his son is Mark Sheppard, who you might recognise from a bunch of sci-fi.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Exactly. Single-biome planets are fine, but the unrealistic thing is showing single-biome planets as more or less the same as Earth otherwise. I'm not sure it ever shows up in Star Trek much, but I can buy that planets like Tatooine in Star Wars only had sentient life because of immigration.

I think Tatooine was supposed to have been a much nicer planet in ages past, though I may admittedly just be remembering old EU stuff that has no relevance any longer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polaron posted:

I think Tatooine was supposed to have been a much nicer planet in ages past, though I may admittedly just be remembering old EU stuff that has no relevance any longer.

No, Tatooine was always a desert shithole. The only reason people are there at all is because at some point a few centuries back they thought there might be valuable minerals there. So they rolled up with heavy mining platforms and went scouring the planet in the hopes of striking rich... only to realize there was sweet-gently caress-all on that dirtball aside from Jawas and Tusken Raiders. So they abandoned their mining platforms to the Jawas (the Sandcrawlers they now all live in) and anyone with a lick of sense got the hell out of dodge.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

This was suggested by a bit of Tusken lore in one of the Star Wars CRPGs, but I won't guess where that fell in the old layers of canonicity.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
This loving show. It's intresting to watch with the faint memorie that hey thus right now tied into something later down the line.

I also enjoy spotting the random sci fi actor. Just watched soul mates and who was in it but none other then.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Homn

And he actually had speaking lines.

Also one of the telepath is the kid in the orginal Star Gate movie who gets killed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are so many. Even beyond Lost in Space Kid.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Season 3 Episode 8:

It starts out with Sheridan and Garbaldi astonished that Ivanova has been served bacon and scrambled eggs. A tremendous luxury, since you can't get them out to Babylon 5 due to distance.

In the exact same episode "It's two days travel time to Earth space". :psyduck:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s the cost for shipping. In another episode they talk about the price per ounce of stuff. Just like Oranges too. It’s basically not economical unless you are really determined and/or wealthy.

It’s kind of like Kobe beef. Why would I pay ridiculous prices for exporting it from halfway around the world when I got regular beef (or in their case whatever substitute) right here?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Season 3 Episode 8:

It starts out with Sheridan and Garbaldi astonished that Ivanova has been served bacon and scrambled eggs. A tremendous luxury, since you can't get them out to Babylon 5 due to distance.

Refrigeration on ships might be cost prohibitive?

That was a dumb but fun scene. Even in the 50s people for freezing eggs for later use. In all likelihood feed/farm animals would be shipped and raised to every planet capable of supporting them. If they could afford to maintain a bunch of gardens/plants in B5 then they could raise a few dozen chickens and farm them for eggs.

I don't know who much water a chicken needs, but you'd think some enterprising entrepreneur would've imported chickens into B5 and sell the eggs at a high enough price to offset the costs.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
At this point I figure it's more about tonnage and how much you pack into your holds to sell, and stuff like fresh bacon and eggs isn't worth the price because you couldn't carry enough to make it economical compared to other stuff. Especially as there's already freeze dried, shelf-stable eggs. But as a freighter captain, you've probably got a private freezer where you can stash a few things that you can give to station ops officers because hey maybe the order of docking can be rearranged a bit to get your ship higher up the list.

Basically, Ivanova is god.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

skooma512 posted:

Season 3 Episode 8:

I think B5 has a whole is pretty bad at remembering distances and things like that. It's sort of like how after a few rewatches you note that there are a lot of very similar place names but they're all different (Beta Colony, I think, comes up a lot like that.)

How the show uses the term sectors, for example, is basically impossible to pin down. JMS' 'Starfuries move at the speed of plot' approach is both good and bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're also forgetting that B5 is in space and Earth Alliance technology is still Newtonian. You have to pay get bacon from Earth into orbit on a ship with limited cargo payload space, AND transit time to Babylon 5.

For something that has to be done fast AND be kept refridgerated that is not logistically cheap.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skooma512 posted:

Season 3 Episode 8:

Isn't it two days' time for the White Star, though? I don't think your average freighter is hauling rear end like that. That said I think the transit time for Franklin and Marcus to get from B5 to Mars was like two weeks, although that was on a relatively circuitous route as to avoid being picked up, so maybe a week is more normal?

I'm also a little surprised that Babylon 5 can't accommodate some chickens - you'd think you could keep them fed on food waste or something, and you could use the chicken poo poo as fertilizer for the gardens, couldn't you?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Isn't it two days' time for the White Star, though? I don't think your average freighter is hauling rear end like that. That said I think the transit time for Franklin and Marcus to get from B5 to Mars was like two weeks, although that was on a relatively circuitous route as to avoid being picked up, so maybe a week is more normal?

I'm also a little surprised that Babylon 5 can't accommodate some chickens - you'd think you could keep them fed on food waste or something, and you could use the chicken poo poo as fertilizer for the gardens, couldn't you?

It's probably a balance between needing water, feed, space, and carbon offset. I'm going to pretend an enclosed space station like B5 with a quarter million humans and aliens has a pretty delicate balance of atmosphere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

V-Men posted:

It's probably a balance between needing water, feed, space, and carbon offset. I'm going to pretend an enclosed space station like B5 with a quarter million humans and aliens has a pretty delicate balance of atmosphere.

Pretty much. Planting space is locked down hard to the point Ivanova had to pull serious strings for her coffee plants.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's always worth remembering that Babylon 5 was the backup plan made from spare parts and last-ditch funding drives, Babylon 4 was the Cadillac of space stations with dual contra-rotating habitat cylinders that probably had room to spare for live cattle and private gardens and all those bells and whistles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

V-Men posted:

At this point I figure it's more about tonnage and how much you pack into your holds to sell, and stuff like fresh bacon and eggs isn't worth the price because you couldn't carry enough to make it economical compared to other stuff. Especially as there's already freeze dried, shelf-stable eggs. But as a freighter captain, you've probably got a private freezer where you can stash a few things that you can give to station ops officers because hey maybe the order of docking can be rearranged a bit to get your ship higher up the list.

Basically, Ivanova is god.

If memory serves, wasn't it Marcus who got her the bacon and eggs?

The episode where Ivanova reveals her coffee plants is unintentionally hilarious because its the episode where Claudia Christian broke her foot for real. She's totally zonked on painkillers at the end, but you can't help but think from some of her delivery that coffee isn't the only thing she's growing in the hydroponic gardens. Babylon 5 Red: your last, best dope for peace.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

If memory serves, wasn't it Marcus who got her the bacon and eggs?

It was indeed. The mystery of the scene being just how the gently caress he managed to get her bacon and eggs out in deep space.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Season 3 Episode 8:

Maybe hyperspace travel has an effect on the eggs or something :shrug:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Space = Territory perhaps? As opposed to proximity to homeworld?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Aside from the other points already raised, what about the disease risk? Quite aside from the bird flu issues, it's highly unclear whether having animals on the space station poses a health risk to the many alien species you expect to move through there. From what we see in Season 1, it's obvious the senate would point out that the safe alternative is considerably cheaper, too, leading B5's staff to make do with "bac'n" instead.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was indeed. The mystery of the scene being just how the gently caress he managed to get her bacon and eggs out in deep space.

"I always say, you can get more bacon and eggs with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with just a kind word."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

fist4jesus posted:

Space = Territory perhaps? As opposed to proximity to homeworld?

That's the thing. I'm pretty sure B5 uses 'Earth space' to mean both 'Earth Alliance territory' and 'local space around Earth.' Two days to the edge of the territory holds up if it's like two weeks to Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Narsham posted:

it's highly unclear whether having animals on the space station poses a health risk to the many alien species you expect to move through there.

Surely all the aliens would be more of a health risk to each other? Adding a few chickens doesn't seem like that much of a difference.