Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

The Bloop posted:

upon even further reflection this is a dumb derail and we should talk about cool poo poo like how we need a veemo emoji

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:woomy:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015416414088261633

The official art for the Global Splatfest.

Look at that Octoling/Agent 8. She looks like a bunch of thoughts are running through her head.

Her hair's on fire and it's burning red.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trust no one not even yourself

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Has anyone said “you’re making a mountain out of her molehills” yet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wrist Watch posted:

Has anyone said “you’re making a mountain out of her molehills” yet

Not yet, no.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lmao you loving losers

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
games poster here, currently crying at the thought of squid tit and squid rear end

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fedule posted:

In news unrelated to whatever the hell all this is, I've rediscovered my first love, the .96 Gal, and I can't remember why I ever left, because I'm splatting squids/octos left and right with this god drat thing. Maybe I've just gotten better at aiming so I can actually hit people with the two shots per second you get from this thing.

That’s my main and I’ll never give it up.:hfive:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

what the gently caress happened in this thread

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
seeing octolings sexualized is definitely the first thing I see when playing a childrens' shooting game. /s

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This SR set so far is just not fun :emo:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Squid vs. Octopus @ July 20th 21:00 PT / July 21th 00:00 ET / July 21th 14:00 AET
  • JP Squid vs. Octopus @ July 21th 15:00 JT
  • EU Squid vs. Octopus @ July 21th 16:00 CET
All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

THE GREAT TURF WAR IS UPON US

Bonus feature: During Splatfest, the side you choose reflects your character, ie. you don't need the expansion to play as an octo.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Also shut up about Marina's outfit or I'll have to take drastic measures.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Also shut up about Marina's outfit or I'll have to take drastic measures.

Smoke their asses!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're only allowed to bitch about the bust size if you have photo evidence of you being July X Rank and own the pearl amiibo.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The Bloop posted:

upon even further reflection this is a dumb derail and we should talk about cool poo poo like how we need a veemo emoji

I've been thinking about making it, but haven't had the time/motivation so far.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah the last one happened while I was having a big meetup with old friends and now this one’s happening while I’ll be home for my dad’s birthday. dammit! just want one where I’m free the whole time.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah the last one happened while I was having a big meetup with old friends and now this one’s happening while I’ll be home for my dad’s birthday. dammit! just want one where I’m free the whole time.

Ah yeah, worth mentioning: Usually the Splatfests happened a week after announcement, but this time around the wait period is two weeks.

Just in case you glanced over the schedules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
His birthday is on the 22nd :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Fedule posted:

In news unrelated to whatever the hell all this is, I've rediscovered my first love, the .96 Gal, and I can't remember why I ever left, because I'm splatting squids/octos left and right with this god drat thing. Maybe I've just gotten better at aiming so I can actually hit people with the two shots per second you get from this thing.

That would be because .96 Gal was absolutely awful for a long time. The fact that it originally dealt 52 damage instead of 62 meant that it was super easy for it to become a 3 shot kill instead of a 2 shot kill. Though now, it's pretty much really hard for it to become a 3 shot kill thanks to the damage buff.

It also got some serious buffs that helped its accuracy. Several weapons in this game have a recoil mechanic where your shots get less accurate the longer you shoot for. (The game doesn't explain this at all, thanks a lot, devs.) .96 Gal's recoil got horrifically nerfed between games. Where most shooters start off having a 1 or 2% chance to shoot out of anywhere besides the inner reticle, and caps out at a 25% chance, for the .96 Gal, it started off at 15% and capped out at 40%. Now they got reduced to 4% and 30%, respectively. (For all you people who complained about the RNG on the shots, and were being shot down saying that it was just as bad as in Splatoon 1, don't worry. You were right, and it was in fact, a good deal worse before the buffs.)

The important thing to keep in mind for the .96 Gal is that after a while (9 shots is when you hit minimum accuracy), just stop shooting for a bit, and accuracy resets back to maximum. Doesn't matter too much for painting, but if you're in a firefight, that can mean the difference between dying and getting a kill. (Accuracy resets to maximum after 13/60ths of a second after you stop shooting.)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Finally playing through Octo Expansion and wow, gently caress these 8-ball levels.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

holy carp havent had to hard carry a shift like this in a while

also i really wish salmon run grants xp. theres another squid i see every once in a while that i dare say is even better than i am at salmon run but shes only level 15 and b-, which is kind of nuts. i think wed both be level 99* if it did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I see Pearl still hasn't caught on to there being actual Octolings living in Inkopolis, even after finding out Marina is one and then meeting another one with whom she worked to save Inkopolis

Oh, Pearl. You are a very unique squid, aren't you?

Well either that or this Splatfest takes place before the Octo Expansion or something? I probably shouldn't try too hard to make sense of this.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 7, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha just got that too that’s funny as hell. I wonder if Pearl is the only one or if all squids think it’s just a weird hairstyle thing.

Also usually they both have equal viewpoints but Pearl’s loving sucks this time

Marina: *lists a billion things octopi can do*
Pearl: .....squids got more limbs!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1015416414088261633

The official art for the Global Splatfest.

Look at that Octoling/Agent 8. She looks like a bunch of thoughts are running through her head.

Her hair's on fire and it's burning red.

squid v octo battle is gonna be awesome

really fun twist on the splatfest this time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

So I see Pearl still hasn't caught on to there being actual Octolings living in Inkopolis, even after finding out Marina is one and then meeting another one with whom she worked to save Inkopolis

Oh, Pearl. You are a very unique squid, aren't you?

Well either that or this Splatfest takes place before the Octo Expansion or something? I probably shouldn't try too hard to make sense of this.

Nah its after the expansion chronologically, becuase Pearl points out that lots of people have "new hairstyles". So she's aware that there's suddenly octos in town, she just... found a way to ignore it :downs:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the expansion is set up to imply that Agent 8 isn't necessarily the first Octoling to make it to Inkopolis. (hence justifying how a player can start encountering playable Octolings before even starting Octo Canyon)

But I think you're not meant to think about it too much except that it's funny. Marina is definitely taking the piss here. (I don't think we've ever seen that zoom-in on any other Splatfest announcement, not to mention the additional condition being alluded to)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah its after the expansion chronologically, becuase Pearl points out that lots of people have "new hairstyles". So she's aware that there's suddenly octos in town, she just... found a way to ignore it :downs:

She doesn't see species, huh

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Are you talking about the splatfest announcement? I took that as her playing dumb. Like Marina does mention that topic being dangerous. Pearl essentially responds with 'how is it dangerous if everyone is an Inkling?'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jetpackhewy posted:

Are you talking about the splatfest announcement? I took that as her playing dumb. Like Marina does mention that topic being dangerous. Pearl essentially responds with 'how is it dangerous if everyone is an Inkling?'

Eh, I don't think she was playing dumb. Marina was like "Octos can camouflage, so there may be one right in front of you!" WINK WINK and Perl's response was just like "Eeek!" Went right over her head what Marina was saying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love winning 3v4s, but I think I love it even more when it was a 3v4 without someone on our side even disconnecting. Dude didn't disconnect--he just didn't do jack poo poo the whole match. Scored a whopping 6 points by the end. And yet we still won :allears:

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

But they were literally talking about squid and octopus. Not Inkling and Octoling. I don't know. It's not that important.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

How the gently caress are you meant to do the defend the orb level, this is utter bullshit.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kaethela posted:

How the gently caress are you meant to do the defend the orb level, this is utter bullshit.

be a spawncamping rear end in a top hat, or in the case of charger, killing them before they spawn onto the map.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaethela posted:

You can heal the orb by shooting it :ssh:.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tengames posted:

be a spawncamping rear end in a top hat, or in the case of charger, killing them before they spawn onto the map.

Haha you can splat them while they're all lined up on the back wall? If so :woomy:

It took me the most tries of any test probably, but it's doable. Intercepting them on/near the pads is key

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kaethela posted:

:gitgud:

Only did it once, I took the fight to them the moment I saw them incoming. This game doesn't reward defense in general.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can heal the orb by shooting it :ssh:.

Yes, I figured that out but that doesn't really outheal the damage they can push onto it. I've tried intercepting them as they spawn but there's too goddamn many of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Haha you can splat them while they're all lined up on the back wall? If so :woomy:

they leap in immediately if you shoot them or even point the charger at them, so you have to make it count