Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I believe that most suffering artists were outliers who were great in spite of their suffering. I mean, life experiences certainly inform your art, so that bit holds, but having like an addiction or chronic illness is not conducive to shipping good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I will admit that after almost giving up on art due to lovely life circumstances, a bad weeks-long trip on the wrong prescription drugs blew my mind right open. But it wasn't until I got off them and regained some sanity that I started writing in earnest

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah it seems like most artists who benefit from suffering do so once they're in a position where they're no longer suffering

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also i loving hated when people were like "at least all the suffering will fuel great art" after trump got elected because holy poo poo gently caress that noise

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Great art is sometimes cathartic and you can only make something cathartic if you understand what it means to suffer, and it can only be understood by people who have also suffered. It's less about the actual act of suffering and more about what you construct out of whatever your life experience is

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone that uses Clip Studio Paint know if there is a way to select an area and say "hey blur it by x amount"? Blurring background stuff can be inconsistent when I do it by hand but more importantly if I'm trying to blur a large area the program lags like hell.

Select the layer you want to blur and select Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. This also works on a selection if you don't want to do the whole layer.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Kanine posted:

ive never actually met another disabled person who thought their suffering made their art better enough that they wouldnt make it go away if given the choice
it's complex! i have a congenital brain injury, and a lot of the pain that i'm in at the moment, as well as issues throughout my life, are due to muscular problems caused by that (both from effects of the injury on my general muscle tone, and the various weird things that happen around the surgical site). so right now it's actively loving with my ability to create art. but on the other hand, the differences in my brain have definitely contributed to my, um, interesting personality - which is where the art comes from. without the damage i wouldn't have the problems, but i might also not have the art. so i guess if i could have it my way, i'd keep my strange brain but encase it in a tungsten shell of terrifying power, and be able to shoot rockets out of my tits and rear end

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mirage posted:

Select the layer you want to blur and select Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. This also works on a selection if you don't want to do the whole layer.

Hey thanks.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

avshalemon posted:

it's complex! i have a congenital brain injury, and a lot of the pain that i'm in at the moment, as well as issues throughout my life, are due to muscular problems caused by that (both from effects of the injury on my general muscle tone, and the various weird things that happen around the surgical site). so right now it's actively loving with my ability to create art. but on the other hand, the differences in my brain have definitely contributed to my, um, interesting personality - which is where the art comes from. without the damage i wouldn't have the problems, but i might also not have the art. so i guess if i could have it my way, i'd keep my strange brain but encase it in a tungsten shell of terrifying power, and be able to shoot rockets out of my tits and rear end

same but id get tired carrying around the rockets so i'd prob just want normal bullets or some kind of energy weapon even

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah, anyone who says you need to suffer for your art has no idea how much chronic pain makes it difficult to get anything done

This old belief clings because back in the before-times, artists needed to be in pain all the time because the paints were all dry powders so you needed a portable irrigation solution and the only way to get a nice taught canvas was to water it with your tears before stretching it over the frame.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Nowadays artists need to be in pain because crying's the only way they can afford the saltwater for their macaroni dinners.

I want my superpower to be tazer-eyes.

Edit: obviously so I can also cook the macaroni.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 6, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Shhh, you've got to keep the myth going - it wearing down is why there's so much competition and no-one can make a living off art.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna start charging for my art on the pain scale depending on how much of a pain in the rear end they were to make.

"This piece is going cheap, it was only 2-noodlecupfulls of tears"
"This one was is a bit pricey, a saltwater aquarium on the pain scale"
"Behold my Magnum Opus, a full saltwater pool"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm gonna start charging for my art on the pain scale depending on how much of a pain in the rear end they were to make.

i do something similar, but i only take payment in equivalent pain, so while a small gif might be pulling out one or two fingernails, a larger piece might require permanent scars

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Sort of a sliding wail? :rimshot:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I really don't like losing bits, how much of a gif can I get by dislocating my knee? I can toss in a couple of hard bitedowns on stones if need be.

I can't wait for a performance artist to get in the thread to wiseass about their pain being the art.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 6, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I can't wait for a performance artist to get in the thread to wiseass about their pain being the art.

that's fine, i don't speak german anyway (for some reason i picture all of the self harming type of performance artists being german)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharpest Crayon posted:

honestly i already sort of factor this in when i give estimates haha

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also hey im curious how did you goons get into art?

i grew up being obsessed with lego, and i think that informed a lot of my early fascination with 3d spaces. then the forge mode in halo 3 transitioned into me making custom maps for pc games like counters-strike. from that i transitioned into game environment art because i found it a lot more fun making levels that looked really nice and wanted to become better at that than anything else.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also btw any other game devs in here should very much get involved with game industry labor organizing. especially in light of the recent bullshit arenanet firing and gamergate-style harassment campaign following it.

head on over to gameworkersunite if you want to find out more! https://www.gameworkersunite.org/

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I had a complete breakdown, ended up housebound for a fair while. I'd always wanted to be able to draw, so I figured I'd put my time to some use. Art has got me through some really rough times, it's one of the reasons I love it so much.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kanine posted:

also hey im curious how did you goons get into art?

i grew up being obsessed with lego, and i think that informed a lot of my early fascination with 3d spaces. then the forge mode in halo 3 transitioned into me making custom maps for pc games like counters-strike. from that i transitioned into game environment art because i found it a lot more fun making levels that looked really nice and wanted to become better at that than anything else.

It wasn't exactly a choice, I had an itch to draw since I was very young, I know from my parents I was drawing as early as 4 so far as they can remember. Eventually they started buying a shitload of paper so I wouldn't ruin every school book I had, but that didn't work. As long as I had a pen or pencil my hand itched to draw something. I tribal tattooed/art nouveaud all of my books and exams out of boredom. I only got calmer halfway through art school.

I got into 3D by the time I was 11 with Bryce, then Rhinoceros, then 3DS Max. Rhinoceros was a really bad stop because NURBs knowledge didn't carry over much, but it's what I had available at the time.

Edit: Actually it was Cinema 4D before 3DS Max. I still have my first render from when I was 12 or so:

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 7, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Oh man Bryce, the Bob Ross of modeling apps

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
re weed yeah i know its not helping me do poo poo but its helping me live rn and thats a slightly higher priority according to folks i know

re game industry workers organizing: hell yeah thats way overdue

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

If you (like me) have a lot of different art things you want to do, how do you decide which one you should do

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You have to pick one and develop the discipline to finish it. It's hard. You'll fail. That's OK; learning to make art is synonymous with learning to work.

Sometimes, though, you get a dozen hours in and you start to get a suspicion that it's not going to be worth finishing or it's not going to fulfill the requirements you had in mind when you picked that project over others. You'll have to learn how to recognize that and when to push through it and when to listen to it and kill the project in favor of spending that time on something else. That takes time and practice to learn too.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 8, 2018

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'd be interested in hearing what the different things you want to do are!

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i want to make a dildo the size of a dolphin (not a dolphin's penis but the whole dolphin) out of my own bones with my skull as the bellend but thanks to the tyranny of natural laws i can never realise this goal

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Its simpler thank you think; Just move to the ocean and spend the next several million years evolving into a dolphin, and then die and become a skeleton

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

FunkyAl posted:

Its simpler thank you think; Just move to the ocean and spend the next several million years evolving into a dolphin, and then die and become a skeleton

this is the most inspiring thing anyone's ever shown me. thank you, friend

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You guys all know about Man After Man, right?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lofi posted:

absolutely!! ive had a russian website that had an online version of it for years but recently died. thank you for this source of it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

lofi posted:

omg i've seen the tundra dwellers in memes before but never knew they came from an actual thing, this owns, thank you so much

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lofi posted:

man after man is one of my favorite things ever

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

don't doxx my dad

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

aren't physical copies of the book at least a million dollars now?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Doctor Dogballs posted:

aren't physical copies of the book at least a million dollars now?
i clicked on the amazon link, they're $150+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lookong forward to this new post apocalyptic transhumanist super mario game