Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also, MedievalDukemon, MameTyramon, DinoRexmon, DinoTigemon, GrandisKuwagamon, and GigaSeadramon and the entire Dorumon and Ryudamon lines are great original designs while also being X-antibody Digimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also, I'm gonna be honest, I don't see how Craniummon X is less solidly built than his normal design

He's not super narrow in the abs department but hes not what I'd call heavyweight either. His proportions are more overall normal adult human proportioned, really, and his biceps are pretty small. He's kind of got Mega Man character arm syndrome going on without being overly thin like LordKnightmon or made of tubes like Omegamon.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 20, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LordKnightmon X is just gonna be a mass of ribbons in the shape of a man

Examon X will be a huge pair of wings with a tiny dragon at the center

Gankoomon X just gets a bigger beard

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Gomamon X is cuter than normal Gomamon.

I also like PrinceMamemon X more than normal PrinceMamemon

PrinceMamemon X is more debatable but I absolutely agree about Gomamon X and I can't believe I forgot about that super cute thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gentlemen, I present you Jesmon X

you know how people say some pokemon look like digimon

this guy looks like an shin megami tensei boss

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
specifically, he looks like he'd be right at home with the SMT4 angels

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Might have been designed by the same guy? The angels were guest designed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wouldn't be the first time we get SMT designs in Digimon, seeing how the Devil Survivor guy designed the humans of the modern Digimon games.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wouldn't be the first time we get SMT designs in Digimon, seeing how the Devil Survivor guy designed the humans of the modern Digimon games.

There's a reason I can't name the protagonist in Digimon World:ReDigitize anything but "Abel"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

X-Antibody Digimon are typically designed by an artist called Az'maria, who has never done anything with SMT, to my knowledge.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Digimon Tri is pretty much SMT, down to the force of chaos and order fighting for control with a bunch of kids pulled in the middle.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Digimon owes a lot of itself conceptually to SMT in general. None of those elements originated in Tri, to be honest. All that's differed has been the tone, usually.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I remember someone described Digimon as being the tonal mid-point between Pokemon and SMT. I don't totally agree since Digimon is usually more towards Pokemon than SMT, but it's not a particularly bad way to think about such things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Digimon and Pokemon have very little in common, anime wise.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Nodosaur posted:

Digimon owes a lot of itself conceptually to SMT in general. None of those elements originated in Tri, to be honest. All that's differed has been the tone, usually.

That's fair enough, I just feel like Tri gave me the most vibes. Ordinemon even looks like an SMT final boss.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm sure plenty of you guys are aware of that one site/app for doing Pokemon Fusions(and it's more recent ones for Dragon Ball and One Piece), apparently they recently released a similar app for Digimon(a dedicated site for that one hasn't materialized yet though), and it's got a decent selection right now that lead to some interesting combinations

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Digimon and Pokemon have very little in common, anime wise.

Yeah, aside from having kids as the protagonists and the whole unique monsters that can evolve into other forms aspect they're completely different beasts (Digimon is much more story-driven for example). Also, I don't remember if the games, anime or manga started first but doesn't Digimon technically predate Pokemon at least by a few months (in Japan anyway)?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Also, I don't remember if the games, anime or manga started first but doesn't Digimon technically predate Pokemon at least by a few months (in Japan anyway)?

Actually no. The very first Digimon V-Pets, the inception point for the franchise, were released in 1997. Pokemon Red and Green version came out in 1996. I believe the original Digimon V-pet may predate the Pokemon Anime, but it doesn't predate Pokemon as a whole.

Of course the two series come from divergent points of evolution. The story of Pokemon is that it was inspired by Satoshi Tajiri's love of bug catching and the Japanese sport of beetle wrestling whereas Digimon was basically Tamagotchi for boys.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The V-Pets did come out before Pokemon was even announced in the US, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we have a profile for Erismon now that ReArise is out in Japan.

quote:

It is brimming with curiosity and will lose sight of its surroundings once it finds something to fixate on, although it is also highly cautious and will make its hard, needle-like quills stand on end when it is afraid, curling up into a ball until no sign of danger remains. However, it gets very attached to those it has warmed up to, and will show them its favourite treasures that it keeps stashed in its fur. It seems to have a habit of going on guard whenever it spots a Tailmon, due to having been bullied several times in the past. Its Special Moves are attacking the opponent by shooting lightning-coated quills (Lightning Fur), and curling its body up into a ball and charging forth (Kenzan Dive).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Are hedgehogs and cats natural enemies or something? It's the only explanation I get for randomly namedropping Tailmon here.

Like, as far as I know, the natural enemy of a hedgehog normally is a fat guy with a cool moustache.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, a hedgehog is called a “harinezumi” or “needlemouse”in Japan, do they may just be going for the cat vs. mouse thing.

That being said there’s a Plotmon that evolves into Tailmon in the cast so maybe they have an adversarial relationship and it’s based on that.

Hedgehogs are usually under threat from dogs more than cats.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/1012191222293782534

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Funko Pops released that might look decent except for the horrifying eyes. News at 11.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Funko Pops are Nendoroids for assholes
Also they look like poo poo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Gabumon will follow me in my nightmares, even more than normal Funkos do.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new Digipets have a secret digimon that seemingly is the fusion od Durandamon and Bryweldramon

https://twitter.com/Dynastea_Chrome/status/1013148936993890304

GT translates the name as Ragnaludomon and is a virus.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

I get their idea of making new Omegamons, but it'd be neat to see ones that are fusions of existing Digidestined Digimon instead of making up new Digimon for them.

Like imagine some sorta Vikemon/HeraklesKabuterimon combo. That would rule.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh. I prefer focusing on using new Digimon or ones for other seasons for that instead of more Adventure wankery.

We’re overdue for a ShineGreymon + MirageGaogamon and VictoryGreymon + Z’dGarurumon. And stuff like Ordinemon and GraceNovamon break the mold from and do fusions differently in interesting ways instead of just sticking two hands onto a Royal Knight.

Look at groups that actually go together and compliment each other. A fusion between Marsmon, SlashAngemon, and Cannondramon because they're the DW3 protagonists. A Three great angels fusion into a one of those elaborate and terrifying angelic beings from the Bible instead of another big winged humanoid in armor. Jupitermon and Junomon. Heck, try Dukemon and Beelzebumon, maybe.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 1, 2018

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Eh. I prefer focusing on using new Digimon or ones for other seasons for that instead of more Adventure wankery.

We’re overdue for a ShineGreymon + MirageGaogamon and VictoryGreymon + Z’dGarurumon. And stuff like Ordinemon and GraceNovamon break the mold from and do fusions differently in interesting ways instead of just sticking two hands onto a Royal Knight.

Look at groups that actually go together and compliment each other. A fusion between Marsmon, SlashAngemon, and Cannondramon because they're the DW3 protagonists. A Three great angels fusion into a one of those elaborate and terrifying angelic beings from the Bible instead of another big winged humanoid in armor. Jupitermon and Junomon. Heck, try Dukemon and Beelzebumon, maybe.

Oh yeah, that would be good too, those two were the first to come to my mind though. And realistically if we do get new combos it will probably be Adventures stuff. It just seems that every new big mega level fusion is just an armory Gundam knight instead of something more out there like some of the ones you suggested.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ordinemon is very much not the sort of thing. And GraveNovamon at least breaks the mold by not just sticking Apollomon and Dianamon onto its arms and just generally approaches it from the angle of two stellar-themed Digimon becoming an even more vast stellar themed Digimon.

But honestly, making them all "armory" is an easy way of combining so many disparate elements. I can't think of a way to combine Vikemon and HerakleKabuterimon that just doesn't look like one wearing the other as a suit of armor, or an Omegamon/Chaosmon type with beetle and walrus heads for hands.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, back in January I preordered the 20th Anniversary Digimon Pendulums. They just arrived, and it's not too complicated. Only problem is that it's complicated enough to warrant reading the manual... which is in Japanese.

I've figured out how to clean up the poop, at least

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’ll see about finding you a guide or something.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I've pretty much figured it out at this point. Right now I have a Ganimon and a Yokomon.

EDIT: after doing some research, it looks like the only way to get Ragna Lordmon is to also have the 20th Anniversary V-pet, because the pendulums don't have the Zubamon line

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 7, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.squishable.com/squishables/digimon_agumon_7.html

Digimon squishables are out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/FakeBali/status/1017410908518150144

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

see, this is much more fitting than doing something like fusing Rosemon to Hououmon just because they were both in Adventure.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oh that's cool as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope we get proper artwork of Rafflesiamon soon because that's a really good combination.