Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Way, way the gently caress back in the early 70s (no later than 1973), my sisters got a record player for Christmas. It came with a big stack of cut-out 45s (each had a hole drilled into it like this):

There was one record I have been trying to find. I believe it was called "Ninety-Nine Years". It was about a man going to prison and saying goodbye to his girlfriend/wife.

The only line I remember is, "Give me ninety-nine years of your loving". I think the label was a dark blue with a silver-ish blue logo.

I have found several songs with the same title, but none are the song I am looking for.

Anybody have any idea?

I don't have any information that will help you but I also have that Rare Earth 45!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Way, way the gently caress back in the early 70s (no later than 1973), my sisters got a record player for Christmas. It came with a big stack of cut-out 45s (each had a hole drilled into it like this):

There was one record I have been trying to find. I believe it was called "Ninety-Nine Years". It was about a man going to prison and saying goodbye to his girlfriend/wife.

The only line I remember is, "Give me ninety-nine years of your loving". I think the label was a dark blue with a silver-ish blue logo.

I have found several songs with the same title, but none are the song I am looking for.

Anybody have any idea?

Googled a bit and came up with "Guilty of loving you" by Jerry Fuller. Has the blue label and the lyrics "Give me 99 years of your lovin' / Cause I'm guilty of wanting you so."

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

This is probably a tough one.

I've had this early 00's, maybe early 10's EDM song stuck in my head for like 3 years and I have no idea what it is or who it's by.

I think the album cover is red, or has a lot of red on it. The song itself is pretty chill, it's a really good jam for when you're driving around. Some of the synths kind of remind me of shifting through gears a bit. It sounds sort of like a cross between Above & Beyond and Tiesto, but I haven't found it listening to either of them. I saw it on a friend's iPod and I remember knowing who the artist was at the time, but I can't remember who or what it was now. I've gone through some of the more popular EDM stuff --- Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, etc. I have no idea who it is, and I know this is about as vague as it gets but if someone can help me find this deeply embedded earworm of a song I'd be eternally grateful.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 26, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

calicokitty posted:

Googled a bit and came up with "Guilty of loving you" by Jerry Fuller. Has the blue label and the lyrics "Give me 99 years of your lovin' / Cause I'm guilty of wanting you so."

That might be it, but I swear the label said "Niney-nine Years".

Thanks for the info.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MrSargent posted:

I don't have any information that will help you but I also have that Rare Earth 45!

The a-side "Gotta See Jane" was a minor hit, but "Back Street" is much better. It's so over the top.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

TremorX posted:

I've had this early 00's, maybe early 10's EDM song stuck in my head for like 3 years and I have no idea what it is or who it's by.

I think the album cover is red, or has a lot of red on it. The song itself is pretty chill, it's a really good jam for when you're driving around. Some of the synths kind of remind me of shifting through gears a bit. It sounds sort of like a cross between Above & Beyond and Tiesto, but I haven't found it listening to either of them. I saw it on a friend's iPod and I remember knowing who the artist was at the time, but I can't remember who or what it was now. I've gone through some of the more popular EDM stuff --- Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, etc. I have no idea who it is, and I know this is about as vague as it gets but if someone can help me find this deeply embedded earworm of a song I'd be eternally grateful.

bt - godspeed?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TremorX posted:

Kavinsky?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Not Godspeed, but that's pretty close. It's a bit slower. Not Kavinsky either, but some similarities. I want to say I've heard it in a video game, or maybe a TV show -- possibly Top Gear? -- but I'm not 100% sure.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

TremorX posted:

Not Godspeed, but that's pretty close. It's a bit slower. Not Kavinsky either, but some similarities. I want to say I've heard it in a video game, or maybe a TV show -- possibly Top Gear? -- but I'm not 100% sure.

This probably isn't it but I immediately thought of Wolfgang Gartner's "Illmerica". Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rQ6Av0gMY

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hybrid or orbital would be my next guess, both have had success translating to movie/game soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWAO9QSG2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xc2eNFFvzs

pinning down the era would help a lot, early 00's was in a flux and the 10's was in a different one. more 90s breakbeats? actual modern edm where you make the heart with your hands to the crowd? rave pianos???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody have any idea?

You sure it's not 96 Tears?

TremorX posted:

Maserati's album Inventions For the New Season has a red cover, and has songs that sound like driving an awesome car, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wNZgsa956A

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

precision posted:

You sure it's not 96 Tears?

Definitely not. That's one of my all time favorite songs.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

hifi posted:

pinning down the era would help a lot, early 00's was in a flux and the 10's was in a different one. more 90s breakbeats? actual modern edm where you make the heart with your hands to the crowd? rave pianos???

If I had to guess I'd say probably a little more late-90s, early-00s. I'd be surprised if it was after 2007, but I can't nail down when I first heard it. It was something that got used enough that I recognized it when I heard it. The part stuck in my head has a sort of buzzing-whistling sound, it reminds me of engine sounds from 90s video games which is why I probably make the driving connection. The melody in the opening music from "Test Drive 2" on the Amiga sounds a little like it, at least in terms of sounding like a similar synth.

It sort of reminds me of BT's stuff, but I don't think it's him. Orbital is sorta similar, but I haven't found anything by them that sounds like it. All of this stuff so far sounds a lot more 'upbeat,' if that makes sense?

I'm digging that Maserati tune, though, that's new to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TremorX posted:

If I had to guess I'd say probably a little more late-90s, early-00s. I'd be surprised if it was after 2007, but I can't nail down when I first heard it. It was something that got used enough that I recognized it when I heard it. The part stuck in my head has a sort of buzzing-whistling sound, it reminds me of engine sounds from 90s video games which is why I probably make the driving connection. The melody in the opening music from "Test Drive 2" on the Amiga sounds a little like it, at least in terms of sounding like a similar synth.

Is it something off Maxinquaye by Tricky? That has a red cover, and one of the big singles off it has a weird whistling melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOwFh-CMnU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I don't think so but I'll keep listening, if for no other reason than this track is dope.

I think it's more typical of 90s/00s trance/edm, very similar to stuff like Paul Oakenfold and Darude, but as best as I can tell, not them.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there a song by Manchester Orchestra (or an act that sounds similar, in the vein of Fleet Foxes) that has a duet with a male voice and a soprano female voice? I heard the end of the song while in a bathroom at a coffee shop. The place is attached to a church so it's possibly a Christian group. I'm not really familiar with Manchester Orchestra's work, I just know the Leave No Trace trailer song and it was that sort of style. The song I heard possibly had strings, or synth-strings in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kangra posted:

Is there a song by Manchester Orchestra (or an act that sounds similar, in the vein of Fleet Foxes) that has a duet with a male voice and a soprano female voice? I heard the end of the song while in a bathroom at a coffee shop. The place is attached to a church so it's possibly a Christian group. I'm not really familiar with Manchester Orchestra's work, I just know the Leave No Trace trailer song and it was that sort of style. The song I heard possibly had strings, or synth-strings in it.

Belle and Sebastian, maybe? They're Christians, too.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Probably not Belle and Sebastian, it didn't sound like her voice.

I found what I think it could be: Manchester Orchestra & Julien Baker covering "Bad Things to Such Good People". I just remember there being a little less mingling of the vocal lines together and don't recall hearing a piano; could just be the difference in hearing it on my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1upJ1ZkoTmA

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
Went to the David Bowie is exhibit and heard a song that I didn't know but somehow knew all the words to.

Unfortunately don't remember any of the words at this point, but I'm fairly sure it was a song that Nine Inch Nails covered which is how I knew it.

Google results are difficult due to their multiple collaborations, tributes, etc.

Songs I know it's not..
Hurt
I'm Afraid of Americans
I Can't Give Everything Away
Reptile

Edit: Nevermind, I think it was probably The Man Who Sold the World, and the cover I know is Nirvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

vogonity fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 2, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That exhibit is loving awesome

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

DeePee posted:

Went to the David Bowie is exhibit and heard a song that I didn't know but somehow knew all the words to.

Unfortunately don't remember any of the words at this point, but I'm fairly sure it was a song that Nine Inch Nails covered which is how I knew it.

Google results are difficult due to their multiple collaborations, tributes, etc.

Songs I know it's not..
Hurt
I'm Afraid of Americans
I Can't Give Everything Away
Reptile

Edit: Nevermind, I think it was probably The Man Who Sold the World, and the cover I know is Nirvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

Good that you remembered the song. David Bowie's list of influenced people/collaborators/people who covered him is so massive, it'd be insanely hard to find the right tune.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

A drum and bass artist. I'm remembering a specific song, but not a lot of details. A friend turned me onto them when we were playing cp_orange a lot in Team Fortress 2, so about nine years ago.

He said Netsky, but it's not them. I listened to Eyes Closed and the production is different; the hihats are tighter, and the snare is harsher and higher in the mix. There is a woman singing, but the word/lyrics is/are on the tip of my tongue :I

The song I'm thinking of is a little faster than Eyes Closed, and I think the album cover (or image in the youtube video?) may have been reminiscent of cracked glass.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Heard a song on the radio that I can't find, usually I can read the band off my dash but this time the only words I could make out were "Data" and (I think) "Joy Division." You'd think great thats clearly the band but I'm almost certain its not. This sounded more current and was slower and more mellow than Joy Division (I'm not real familiar with them though besides what I listened to searching for this song). My dash will display other info like the station (very slowly) so I don't know if anything I read off it is a complete red herring.

If I recall it was just bass and drums with a catchy hook. It was on an alt rock station that plays a lot of hits so I'm hoping some one more familiar with current stuff will know what the hell I'm talking about.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8b4xYbEugo
This it?

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
For some reason today I thought of a music video I had on my iPod back in the 2002-2004 timeframe (though the video could have been from earlier). It was an animated sci-fi music video with a female protagonist with blonde hair. It also seemed to have Norse themes (they battled creatures) and the animation reminds me of Samurai Jack (angular faces and such). As far as the music goes I think it was like synth pop or something like that with a female singer. The music was pretty laid back and complemented the video well.

I looked at my iTunes purchases but it seems like it must have been something I manually put on there since there weren't any purchased videos.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I remember a particular song I heard sometime in the mid '90s, but I've never managed to find it online. I'm pretty sure it was in a style somewhat reminiscent of "Whatta Man". During the chorus, backup singers chanted (not sang) "I wouldn't change you if I could".

No, it's not the Ricky Skaggs song. That's all I can find when I try to Google.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 7, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I remember a particular song I heard sometime in the mid '90s, but I've never managed to find it online. I'm pretty sure it was in a style somewhat reminiscent of "Whatta Man". During the chorus, backup singers chanted (not sang) "I wouldn't change you if I could".

No, it's not the Ricky Skaggs song. That's all I can find when I try to Google.

Mase - Feel so Good?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mase - Feel so Good?

Yes! Thank you!

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Fuckin' nailed it, thank you!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I heard a punk song on Complete Control Radio a couple years back

in it the singer goes on about people he knew (i think literally the the chorus is something like "these are some people that I know") and where they wound up ie "Jenny committed suicide"

it's NOT the kids are alright by the offspring

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My guess is either "People Who Died"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKoU_W_mf8

Or Butthole Surfers "Pepper"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8vBVUaKvk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TremorX posted:

My guess is either "People Who Died"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKoU_W_mf8
def not bhole surfers but I think it could be this one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are a few different versions of "People Who Died" as well. It was pretty big when it was used in The Basketball Diaries so it's probably that version.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Possibly impossible, possibly easy? Got a tune stuck in my head that I THINK is from Glow season 2, but might be from a random Spotify playlist?

It's an instrumental synth tune, quite stacatto, with like bent notes, very smug 80s sounding? What I remember was just a synth line with possibly some bass (maybe synth bass?) And if there were drums just like one or two hits, but I don't think there were.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Alan Smithee posted:

I heard a punk song on Complete Control Radio a couple years back

in it the singer goes on about people he knew (i think literally the the chorus is something like "these are some people that I know") and where they wound up ie "Jenny committed suicide"

it's NOT the kids are alright by the offspring

Also going to take a stab at it, maybe this ? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4Ld5fOw28

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

!Klams posted:

Possibly impossible, possibly easy? Got a tune stuck in my head that I THINK is from Glow season 2, but might be from a random Spotify playlist?

It's an instrumental synth tune, quite stacatto, with like bent notes, very smug 80s sounding? What I remember was just a synth line with possibly some bass (maybe synth bass?) And if there were drums just like one or two hits, but I don't think there were.

Popcorn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Also going to take a stab at it, maybe this ? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4Ld5fOw28

I don't believe so, the tempo is way too fast. I'm not 100% on People Who Died but I feel like that pace was closer. Plus the vocals on this one are harder for me to decipher

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

What was the tempo like? And was the synth sound smooth or raspy? If there was reverb (echo), how much?

These all have drums and vocals, but if there are any similarities, let me know:

Gary Numan - Cars
Animotion - Obsession
Trans-X - Living On Video

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

Axel F?

https://youtu.be/Qx2gvHjNhQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, I listened to all of the glow soundtrack and its not that, so it must have been from Spotify auto generating a playlist after something finished. This means it's very likely something modern that sounds like 80s (like it could almost be a different trans x track), which kinda blows it wide open. I think this one is a bust, sorry.