Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Does he really not have the time to show a little?

You just linked a thread where he said this was the case, so I think it's safe to assume that this is the case. The scope of the mods and the frequency of updates is probably a part of that... or he might just not like documenting things, he doesn't seem particularly bothered by it.

Plenty of people in the thread have played with Bob's so can probably help you out if you want more information though. I tend to find those bigger mods overwhelming and avoid them, the smaller QoL mods I use tend to be fairly well documented. There's also a dedicated sub-forum (just for Bob's) on the official site so that might have some of the information you're looking for: https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=51

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Bob is terrible about descriptions and documentation. His mods generally add more tiers of things. So assembler 6 or oil refinery 4 kind of stuff. And add more tiers of materials to make them with like cobalt and titanium. The vehicle equipment adds equipment grids to vehicles and vehicle specific versions of things you would stick in your armor so no exoskeletons in a car.

For anyone going down the angel/bob rabbit hole you should get FNEI or 'What is it really used for' which lets you search items and recipes which makes figuring out how their crap goes together. Helmod is also very useful for production ratios but its totally lacking instructions.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I will say as well, the type of people who are attracted by Factorio are vastly different in mindset than say, starbound. The former has you thinking and figuring things out from a long term automation perspective, almost like a programmer. The latter is a side scrolling explorer with little thinking involved.

I'd wager mods for the latter aren't picked up much unless there's a clear description for the audience where mods for Factorio are almost implicitly assumed to be "here figure this poo poo out"

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DelphiAegis posted:

I will say as well, the type of people who are attracted by Factorio are vastly different in mindset than say, starbound. The former has you thinking and figuring things out from a long term automation perspective, almost like a programmer. The latter is a side scrolling explorer with little thinking involved.

I'd wager mods for the latter aren't picked up much unless there's a clear description for the audience where mods for Factorio are almost implicitly assumed to be "here figure this poo poo out"

Which is why mods like Factorio NEI and What is it for have become so popular.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

LtSmash posted:

His mods generally add more tiers of things. So assembler 6 or oil refinery 4 kind of stuff.

This is my biggest complaint against Bob's stuff. I get that he needs to justify titanium ball bearings and all, so some recipe must use them, but god drat is the build panel cluttered.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Galvanik posted:

This is my biggest complaint against Bob's stuff. I get that he needs to justify titanium ball bearings and all, so some recipe must use them, but god drat is the build panel cluttered.

This feels a bit like an indictment of the crafting menu design, rather than just Bob's mod.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Galvanik posted:

Seeing nitinol pop up in industrial use is also hilarious to me as someone who works with the stuff.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Prism tower upgrade for laser turrets when though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNJj5lz0BYk

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure Factorio needs that because it seems like a fun engineering problem.

Like instead of solar panels you have mirrors that redirect sunlight to a central point. Then you place prism towers around your factory so the game can use them to direct the beam wherever its needed.

Vaporizing biters, heating up fluid storage to produce steam, smelting, etc.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Galvanik posted:

Dancer posted:

This feels a bit like an indictment of the crafting menu design, rather than just Bob's mod.

The crafting menu is really not designed for having the absurd number of things mods add. Its annoying but the search box at least keeps it usable. And think of it as an incentive to automate production of everything so you don't have to look at the crafting menu except when setting up machines.

Personally I find the totally disorganized tech tree more frustrating. Researching something should mean you are now able to make it. But lots of technologies unlock recopies that need materials you can still be a long way away from unlocking.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

What's the most efficient vanilla way to generate pollution continuously? I want to dedicate a small island to some sort of contraption whose only purpose is to spew as much pollution as possible. Bonus points if it doesn't create any physical byproducts to manage, and mega bonus points if it also has no inputs besides power.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think a continuous loop of barreling/unbarreling creates pollution.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Matazat posted:

What's the most efficient vanilla way to generate pollution continuously? I want to dedicate a small island to some sort of contraption whose only purpose is to spew as much pollution as possible. Bonus points if it doesn't create any physical byproducts to manage, and mega bonus points if it also has no inputs besides power.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Pollution You could rig up a bunch of pumps in a circular pattern, add water to the circle with an offshore pump, remove the offshore pump, then replace a couple pumps/sections of pipe to create some air in the system. Should just pump the same fluid around forever.

Edit: barreling/unbarreling is way more polution/tile.

quote:

0eNqlksFOwzAMht/F50Rau7GNvgESYhzghCaUtmazSNIoSYGq6rvjrFIRbANNnJo49efvT9tDqVt0nmyEogeqGhugeOoh0M4qnWqxcwgFUEQDA
qwyaadCQFNqsjtpVLUni3IOgwCyNX5AkQ1bAWgjRcKRd9h0z7Y1JXp+4XeSANcEbm5sMmCgzAV0/Mh4Rk0eq/GMq7ymg+ALaS3fVUQvS+U9aqYk6
ZAQwSHW0jR1qxO/WAyDOJLKJ6kQVfUqyQb0zDvWmY02+Xeb5Qnm/MKgf+dE42L3v6CLC4POfticQF5NSJc0z91YdkpnOfUarKk1EjWP8lRJ1+izLEZ
tx+Dc+PUXC9Cq5Dsp4H5z+/hws7nj0hv6MH6i9SrP19n1bJUPwyfFyv4T

Add about 50 barrels of water and it will run continuously.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 6, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could try my wood deleting system, it's a square of belts with a chest in the middle. Four burner inserters, two set to extract from the chest, two set to insert into the chest.

Not sure on the numbers but I think burner inserters are pretty high up for the amount of pollution they make compared to the work they do.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Matazat posted:

If you're ok with not being able to pick the location, an oil site with pumpjacks refining down to nothing but solid fuel (use basic refining, don't crack the heavy oil, do crack the light oil) that powers steam engines and a power sink of a shitton of radar is probably your best bet. With productivity modules in everything.

M_Gargantua posted:

I think a continuous loop of barreling/unbarreling creates pollution.
Actually this is a better power sink. Stuff them full of speed modules.

edit:

xzzy posted:

Not sure on the numbers but I think burner inserters are pretty high up for the amount of pollution they make compared to the work they do.

Burner inserters actually don't pollute.

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 6, 2018

simble
May 11, 2004

Loren1350 posted:

Clean coal is real

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Loren1350 posted:

Owned by google again.

In other news, an API issue with Steam let nerds get much more precise player data than they could previously, and it turns out factorio has been played by 1,706,659 unique steam accounts. That seems pretty good for a relatively small indie game.

Specifics of how they got the data (it's related to achievements):

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is it possible to make a mod that automatically harvests wood? Like a building that you plop down in the middle of a forest and it will gradually remove trees within a certain distance from itself and output raw wood?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Use a deconstruction planner with construction robots.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
TinyStart is amazing for this. It makes the early game so much better when you can clear forest and lay down buildings lazily.

For automated wood that doesn't affect the world there's plenty and the standard AngelBobs makes use of them but none that are designed around the landscape afaik.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I know I can use the deconstruction planner, but I specifically want a building that harvests wood from the world. There are mods that add greenhouses, but they just create wood themselves, they don't remove it.

Basically what I want is an electric mining drill, except it harvests trees and affects an area say 20 tiles in either direction around itself.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Was there a way to circuit magic in automatic blueprint placements or was that only available through a mod? If some of that behavior is vanilla, then roboport + deconstruction + circuit should do just that.

Otherwise https://mods.factorio.com/mods/DaveMcW/recursive-blueprints will do it. Third picture down should be what you want, just throw a roboport nearby and set the desconstruction planner to only target trees. Though ultimately this isn't really any different than selecting a wide area for deconstruction and dropping down a roboport + storage.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah I know I can use the deconstruction planner, but I specifically want a building that harvests wood from the world. There are mods that add greenhouses, but they just create wood themselves, they don't remove it.

Basically what I want is an electric mining drill, except it harvests trees and affects an area say 20 tiles in either direction around itself.

I'm terrible about updating my mods, but this is a feature I want to add to my next update to https://mods.factorio.com/mod/fws

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Loren1350 posted:

I'm terrible about updating my mods, but this is a feature I want to add to my next update to https://mods.factorio.com/mod/fws
I'm actually coding it now. Posted on the Factorio forums and turns out it's probably not that hard. It's probably going to end up an ugly hack anyway since it's been ages since i did any Lua and I've never coded for Factorio before.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I've been working on a "Great Wall" design for expanding to a far away site. Really happy with the design so far.

The artillery stations are enabled when I set a signal to their number, which automatically increments from the previous station when I place the blueprint. My artillery train also comes with the required rails and station bits. Once the expansion is completed I'll have a 2-4-2 artillery train rotating through the stations for upkeep.

The supply train includes everything else. Its station is enabled if any item falls under the desired buffer amount and comes by to refill it.

So far the quad uranium turret with flamethrower in the middle has kept up with everything. I've lost maybe 2 turrets when destroying bases directly ahead as the flamethrowers don't reach the middle. When I know that's going to happen I'm generally there in a tank to assist with any behemoth spitters, but the turrets still do most of the work.

There's some automation I can still do with this, but I can place several of these an hour with minimal effort at this point.

edit: I have a variation with concrete but have decided to apply that later. I'm already overloading the bot construction queue by doing this and a huge solar array at the same time.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

I'm actually coding it now. Posted on the Factorio forums and turns out it's probably not that hard. It's probably going to end up an ugly hack anyway since it's been ages since i did any Lua and I've never coded for Factorio before.

The old TreeFarm mod did it with custom roboports, and is similar to how I want to do it. Most of the stuff I [want to] do in my mods has been tackled elsewhere, but, y'know, I wanna do it MY way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm imagining a forestry mod to go along with regrowing trees. Trees take 20x normal to chop down by hand, but yield 5x more wood. There is a forestry building that slowly chops down trees like a mining drill. And obviously you'd have to automatically de-tree a big chunk of the starting area.

Its like coal, but renewable!

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/ ( https://lua-api.factorio.com/ if you want to poke around other versions)

If you come from a programming background the best place to start is more specifically

https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Data-Lifecycle.html

You also have local copies of these, appropriate to whatever version you have installed, in your Factorio directory.

The structure of the game defining Lua table files (data.lua etc) is less well documented but is reasonably consistent and your best shot at those, especially at first, is referencing the base "mod" (which is the vanilla game).

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm imagining a forestry mod

Take a look at {your Factorio install directory}\data\base\prototypes\entity\demo-trees.lua and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how simple this is!

edit: one minor peeve I have is that there's no way to increase the mining time for bots.

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 7, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well I've got the actual harvesting part down. I now have a building (a 3x3 container with a single inventory slot) that automatically kills one tree every 5 seconds in a 10 tile radius around it and adds the appropriate amount of wood to itself.

However it doesn't draw power and it's not animated. Can you make a container consume power, or would it be better to work from another prototype?

edit: assembling-machine requires a recipe, and I can't figure out how to instance the underlying CraftingMachine prototype...

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 8, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Well I've got the actual harvesting part down. I now have a building (a 3x3 container with a single inventory slot) that automatically kills one tree every 5 seconds in a 10 tile radius around it and adds the appropriate amount of wood to itself.

However it doesn't draw power and it's not animated. Can you make a container consume power, or would it be better to work from another prototype?

edit: assembling-machine requires a recipe, and I can't figure out how to instance the underlying CraftingMachine prototype...

Base it off of a mining drill rather than a container, and just have it plot out like a drill, either onto a belt or into a container.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Foresting is an interesting idea. The building you made is a bit weird though. It would kill all the trees around it as fast as you'd put it down... Literally place it, and by the time you get back it's all done.

I would rather it be a more permanent fixture. Have it just slowly generate wood based on how many trees are in the area, with no tree killing to simulate automatic replanting. Also, this building should generate a sizable amount of pollution, may be the same as an electric miner?

But I'm not really sure why you'd want to farm for wood. Maybe as an infinite fuel alternative to coal?

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 9, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ass_Burgerer posted:

For eating is an interesting idea. The building you made is a bit weird though. It would kill all the trees around it as fast as you'd put it down... Literally place it, and by the time you get back it's all done.

I would rather it be a more permanent fixture. Have it just slowly generate wood based on how many trees are in the area, with no tree killing to simulate automatic replanting. Also, this building should generate a sizable amount of pollution, may be the same as an electric miner?

I think its meant to be used in conjunction with the mod posted earlier that causes forests to regrow.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Most of the actual behavior of entities is baked in, so your best bet is to find something similar and make it work as you intend (to my knowledge no container uses power), or better yet find a way to use existing mechanics to accomplish what you want because performing game logic in a Lua loop is [relatively] expensive - as a general rule you should try to avoid putting anything the player is likely to place hundreds of in on_tick. (This is why the "use a roboport" method is a good approach to automatic tree harvesting; instead of trying to simulate mining or perform math of any kind, just mark the tree for deconstruction and let the Factorio engine naturally handle everything else).

In your specific example, you might consider using a custom radar and performing your tree code in response to on_sector_scanned (the event provides a reference to the radar that did the scanning). You get a machine that performs properly re: power consumption (consuming, and slowing down when underpowered) and only have to call code when necessary. Of course, radar don't have an inventory. I'm pretty sure you can make a custom radar that has directionality though, so you could have it act just like a miner and dump wood onto a specific spot (or chest) in front of it. Or you could track when such a thing is built (or destroyed) and pair it up with an actual chest. Or vice versa.

Another option would be to create a new resource category and resource to go with it, a miner entity and some other dummy entity. Miners can't be placed where there's nothing to mine, which is why you need the dummy entity (which the harvester item has a its place_result). When the dummy is placed, swap it out for the miner (which has the same spritesheet) and call a function that takes a position, locates an appropriate tree a distance from that position, kills it, and creates the new wood resource (probably with an invisible sprite) in that position, with a quantity appropriate to the destroyed tree. Let the miner operate normally, catch the on_resource_depleted event, call the function again from the location of the depleted resource. You'll kill another tree and give the harvester more/another "resource" to mine. When no trees are in range, no wood resource is renewed and the miner stops. (This reminds me that I should add something to FWS that other mods can use to be notified of a new tree.) If the miner is removed early (destroyed or mined by player or robot, all triggered events), destroy the wood resource under it to avoid weirdness with future placements. This integrates nicely with existing mining mechanics (like mining productivity and letting the Factorio engine handle dropping off the results), which you may or may not want. Dummy placement entities can also cause problems with blueprinting, depending on how they're done.

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 8, 2018

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to make trees work the same way as mineral nodes, ie 1000 wood/tree, harvesting gets 1 wood at a time?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Probably. Leave trees as hit boxes with sprites and add an invisible ore under them that produces wood. Would be an interesting workaround to not allow them to be mined by regular drills though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uranium does it somehow.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

necrotic posted:

I've been working on a "Great Wall" design for expanding to a far away site. Really happy with the design so far.

The artillery stations are enabled when I set a signal to their number, which automatically increments from the previous station when I place the blueprint. My artillery train also comes with the required rails and station bits. Once the expansion is completed I'll have a 2-4-2 artillery train rotating through the stations for upkeep.

The supply train includes everything else. Its station is enabled if any item falls under the desired buffer amount and comes by to refill it.

So far the quad uranium turret with flamethrower in the middle has kept up with everything. I've lost maybe 2 turrets when destroying bases directly ahead as the flamethrowers don't reach the middle. When I know that's going to happen I'm generally there in a tank to assist with any behemoth spitters, but the turrets still do most of the work.

There's some automation I can still do with this, but I can place several of these an hour with minimal effort at this point.

edit: I have a variation with concrete but have decided to apply that later. I'm already overloading the bot construction queue by doing this and a huge solar array at the same time.

Have you tried mixing in some land mines? Bots can auto-replace them. Yeah you will be losing some bots when they go to rebuild exploded mines in the middle of a swarm, but the fact mines insta-kill 3/4 of the bug types and apply a 3 second stun to anything that lives make them handy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well, Ive made the jump into Angels/Bobs.

I've watched the Nilaus series up until now. Firing up the modpack I realized I watched the video about getting up the starting steps 5 months ago.

It felt exactly like the day I did forgot to do the prelab for my chem class. God drat is that a wierd thrill to relive.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

SergZpartan posted:

Have you tried mixing in some land mines? Bots can auto-replace them. Yeah you will be losing some bots when they go to rebuild exploded mines in the middle of a swarm, but the fact mines insta-kill 3/4 of the bug types and apply a 3 second stun to anything that lives make them handy.

I haven't built a single mine in over 1500 hours. So far my setup hadn't shown signs of needing them, and I'm around 93% evolution (not at home to confirm). I'll have to look at adding mines if it can't keep up later, but I don't think it will be necessary after some more turret/bullet/flame damage upgrades. Uranium ammo is just too drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

necrotic posted:

Is that an isolated straight-line logistic network? I've been finding that when I expand spurs outwards attached to my main network bots will wander between the spurs through biter areas and get killed, especially because they don't have the range to make the trip and end up going back to recharge again and again.