Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

3 articunos, one shiny, with an ad hoc group of randos that were down by the waterfront. good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I organized our city. We had 35 people and hit up 12 raids. Me and my bud got no shinies :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

13 articunos, no shinies, none above 93% ivs :smith:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm surprised at the rate of people NOT getting shinies for this event. I thought somewhere said it was like 10% chance to get one? Even some people doing around 20 raids in my town today didn't get any.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
14 raids, about 20 people, maybe 3 shinies? That ratio is brutal :(

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Three cars, 9 people
51 raids
Three hundos
One person didn’t get a shiny though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stumbled across a group of 4 young people in the last 20 minutes of the event, they offered to carry me through one before it ended. Stupid thing ran away but whatever, still an A+ experience, would chat with random people while playing Pokemon again.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

15 raids, 13 caught, 0 shiny. One 96IV and a couple 93 and 91. Burned thru 10 on a lucky egg in the first hour but I am already level 40 so it didn't really matter...

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

3 cars, 13 people, 36 raids, I got 2 shinies and there were 2 Hundos. It was fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Willsun posted:

I'm surprised at the rate of people NOT getting shinies for this event. I thought somewhere said it was like 10% chance to get one? Even some people doing around 20 raids in my town today didn't get any.

well you're likely to hear more from people who didn't get shinies than those who did, but even 20 attempts isn't guaranteed assuming the odds are 10% per raid

still sucks for people who did twenty raids in the hopes of getting one though. that's a lot of raiding packed into 3 hours

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I did 7 of them and didn’t get a shiny, but I did catch 6 weather boosted Articunos so that’s something I guess

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Can you guys add my girlfriend? She has few friends and would love some overseas gifts!

0287 8900 5895

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I got a shiny 93% Articuno, 15/15/12.

I went home after that, nothing was going to beat that and I was almost out of passes

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

loaded up 8 people in a car, and had two people following in another car. We did 31 raids and in those: two people got 2 shinys, and a 100%, three others got shinys. Me and one other got 0 shinys. I got 14 middle of the road stats regulars, and one 98% 15/14/15. Really wasn't even trying to catch most of the junk, and just ran from two for time. It was an absolute rush though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
We had several people who got no shinies after 20 raids... I got none after 10 raids or so, but did get a 96%.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
14 raids, one 98%, no shinies, but I had a fun time. Our group is well organized but still friendly and not too uptight.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Did six, caught 5 of them with the last one being a shiny. We had about 50 people raid training and they kept going after I had to leave for work. I was really surprised at the turnout since the temperature is well over 100 in the area.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was no one around in my town, not that I found, anyway. Oh well. If it had been for an actually good legendary I would have driven 40 minutes down the road to the next town down that has an active community.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Man I’m starting to feel really lucky.... my daughter and I met 5 random players while wandering around. We did 4 raids and we all got at least one shiny. Regardless, it was a lot of fun - hung out and chatted, got some new friends for gifts, and got my shiny freezerbirb.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My entire community met at a mall, then we ended up kind of splitting up by teams, then a miscommunication fragmented us even more. But it was all good. I was with 6 others for most of the time and we just were chill, said where to go as we wrapped up and kept the train going. Eventually I stopped early because I just too drat hungry.

A whole lot of people are salty about not getting shinies. I'm starting to think people don't understand the point of shinies anymore :thunk:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

seiferguy posted:

A whole lot of people are salty about not getting shinies. I'm starting to think people don't understand the point of shinies anymore :thunk:

Shinies have changed in the base games and in Pokemon Go since your day, grandpa!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
For almost two months I looked for a Ditto. Since I got past that research I've found like 5, I caught 3 since yesterday. This game.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

My entire community met at a mall, then we ended up kind of splitting up by teams, then a miscommunication fragmented us even more. But it was all good. I was with 6 others for most of the time and we just were chill, said where to go as we wrapped up and kept the train going. Eventually I stopped early because I just too drat hungry.

I think it's that with trading, some people really really want that edge for another good trade. A shiny legendary is pretty high.

It was over 110 here today and people were raiding like mad. I did four raids inside a mall and called it quits. Even for a shiny loving Dragonite, it's too drat hot.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Yeah for all the weather talk, I'm thinking about only doing the first 2 hours of community day tomorrow and calling it quits considering I get a shiny or two. If sunglasses Squirtle is too annoying I'll just get one and be done. Tomorrow's supposed to be just as hot today and it was already kinda killer.

It also kinda sucks we can't stack the same Pokemon in gyms anymore even if it's just for Squirtle Squad aesthetics or a Pikachu hat party. I get that they don't want a Blissey tower, but allowing as many of lower evolution stage Pokemon in a gym shouldn't be that bad barring Chansey. Probably too much :effort: for Niantic to code.

e: Oh yeah since I was talking with people trying to decide what moves to give Tyranitar (they didn't do Larvitar community day), I went and counted what legendaries are good to use rock or dark type moves on with a Tyranitar:

Rock is good against 12 legendaries: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, Tornadus, Thundurus, Reshiram, Yveltal, Blacephalon

Dark is good against 16 legendaries: Mewtwo, Lugia, Latias, Latios, Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie, Giratina, Cresselia, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma (all 4 forms), Blacephalon

I'm assuming a lot of things here by counting all forms and Ultra Beasts. Basically rock type moves do better on most of the legendaries that are already out and that may be reused again, while dark type moves do better for future legendaries.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 8, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
my interest in community day died the instant I saw those ripped sprites of what Squirtle actually looks like, so kinda same. If I get two I'll make a sunglasses blastoise and that's fine but I'm still in awe that Niantic managed to gently caress up probably the second most iconic look from pokemon

just gonna take it easy tomorrow unless, by some miracle, they hotfix that poo poo between now and then.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Shout out to the person who spent 15+ golden razz berries defending the bar I'm at. I'm a hair away from level 30 and can open gifts like crazy

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Wow the raid event was kinda fun today. Our local discord split into manageable car groups to keep moving fast and did hardcore/medium/casual depending on #of raids being done and if they'd wait for people.

We did two raids with a group of 19 ( barely losing one ttar) before splitting off to help a friend and his kid. We could take it out with just 3, so having 5 was very fast.

Our accounts each got one shiny, but they didn't get one. We caught every single Articuno, so I wonder if the catch rate was high since I was just flinging balls randomly at most of them. It helped it was a small group and I had 13-15 balls too. Did 8 raids, while the hardcore group did 32.

Looks like we can handle every upcoming old boss with just our 3 accounts, except groudon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Gifts to people and from people are easily my favorite part of the game now. I’m not downtown to often, but I’m going to start making a point of getting a gift to send to people in other parts of the world of whatever is somewhat iconic here. Even something like the city library for me is pretty cool (someone on here got the St. Louis city library from me tonight).

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Psion posted:

my interest in community day died the instant I saw those ripped sprites of what Squirtle actually looks like, so kinda same. If I get two I'll make a sunglasses blastoise and that's fine but I'm still in awe that Niantic managed to gently caress up probably the second most iconic look from pokemon

just gonna take it easy tomorrow unless, by some miracle, they hotfix that poo poo between now and then.

I think it has something to do with licensing issues; even getting ones from bankrupt companies is a real kick in the dick.

Niantic was probably 'gently caress that noise' and just slapped on the beat cop aviators, called it a night

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Willsun posted:

It also kinda sucks we can't stack the same Pokemon in gyms anymore even if it's just for Squirtle Squad aesthetics or a Pikachu hat party. I get that they don't want a Blissey tower, but allowing as many of lower evolution stage Pokemon in a gym shouldn't be that bad barring Chansey. Probably too much :effort: for Niantic to code.

Theme gyms are an exercise in futility but it would be nice if different pikachu hats etc. were all allowed.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Got my standard two skinnies during community day, plus got an 84% squirtlesquad from my daily research thing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

going through and adding people finally, there's so many and it'll take forever but, eh

also forgot that i caught a shiny wailmer today, i guess that was me using up my luck and is why i did not get a shiny articuno

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I’ll take it

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The Squirtle Squad research task is catch 5 squirtle and you only get it during the 3 hour window. Just clear out your existing research. They're actually also useful as being high-IV squirtles during the event - I caught very few high-IV standard ones, so most of my evolves were from the level 15 research ones.

Got a 100% shiny squad one. Aw yiss.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Shiny shades squirtles are tied to the specific stop that gives out the quest. So tell your friends where you got the quest if you're rewarded one.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Shiny shades squirtles are tied to the specific stop that gives out the quest. So tell your friends where you got the quest if you're rewarded one.

All pokestops give the same "Catch 5 Squirtles" research task. So stay on the move and complete as many as you can.
EDIT: Unless you mean the shiny ones specifically come from certain stops but, I'm not sure that's the case?

I got off to a bit of a rocky start but managed to get 75 normal Squirtles and 43 aviator Squirtles.
Among those were 5 regular shinys and 6 aviator shinys. Best IV I got was a 97%.

This isn't Squirtle Squad Day, this is State Trooper Blastoise Day.

pod6isjerks fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 8, 2018

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

pod6isjerks posted:

All pokestops give the same "Catch 5 Squirtles" research task. So stay on the move and complete as many as you can.
EDIT: Unless you mean the shiny ones specifically come from certain stops but, I'm not sure that's the case?

It is, a stop that gives you a shiny encounter will give everyone a shiny encounter.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I wonder if they're testing this out. Honestly a guaranteed shiny for people would probably be an interesting idea. Decent ivs too for those that care.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

pod6isjerks posted:

that's what I mean and it is the case. regular shinies are per individual but reward shinies are linked to the specific stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Didnt get a single Squirtle, plenty of garbage pidgeys and rattatas though. What a crock

• Locked thread