Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's induction and how can you use it to make ice cream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Induction burners use magnetic fields to induce currents in your cookware, which in turn heats them up. I'm using my portable induction burner to prepare ice cream mix because the Duxtop model I have has a built-in thermostat feature, so I can quickly heat up the mix but I won't risk overdoing it. It doesn't replace an ice cream maker. Unfortunately, the same magnetic mojo that heats the pans interferes with the circuits in my Polder temperature alarms - they start beeping randomly, changing settings, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.bestbuy.com//site/kitchenaid-kp26m1xer-professional-600-series-stand-mixer-empire-red/8812736.p?skuId=8812736

So, the mixer I’ve been interested in is on sale and I have enough rewards points for BBY that I could pay nothing for it. Thoughts? Any reason NOT to buy it? Background: I have a 4.5qt but it high capacity enough for double batches I want to do, and sometimes it struggles w the doughs.

Thoughts between these two beaters: https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/accessories/p.6-quart-flex-edge-beater.kfew6l.html

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/accessories/p.f-series-6-quart-bowl-lift-flex-edge-beater.kfef6l.html

I like how little surface area is in the first one, but the second would better match the accessories it comes with.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 8, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Imo get a bosh or w/e since you already have the 4.5 qt. I view more in a bread rather than cookie lens though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

If I'm eating more fish now, is it worth getting a fillet knife to cut off the skin and such easier? If so, Victorinox (like the chef/pairing knife from them thanks to the OP rec) has like 7 different kinds, so uh how do I decide?

The victorinox are probably fine.

As a teen I worked deck hand for party style fishing cruises and myself and the other mates would use what ever el-cheapo you could find for a couple of bucks to fillet the tourists catch for tips. A little practice and you can fillet a couple hundred porgies an hour with pretty much anything with an edge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good electric kettle? my third bonavita in 5 years has died and it lasted long enough I can't keep the chain warenties going.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just make ice cream bases in a vita-mix. Put your thermometer probe through the hole it the lid and cut it when it gets to 160° F, strain it, and put in an ice bath.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Imo get a bosh or w/e since you already have the 4.5 qt. I view more in a bread rather than cookie lens though.

I ended up pulling the trigger cause it’s a good deal, and I had a bunch of certificates to use, so it only cost me $100 and tax. Could have done free but I like having some on hand for random splurges. Now I just need to decide on which flex beater. I’m thinking the first one is the way to go, even if it won’t fit in w the rest.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Murgos posted:

The victorinox are probably fine.

As a teen I worked deck hand for party style fishing cruises and myself and the other mates would use what ever el-cheapo you could find for a couple of bucks to fillet the tourists catch for tips. A little practice and you can fillet a couple hundred porgies an hour with pretty much anything with an edge.

Are there any important differences in the types/styles though? Getting that sort of choice paralysis with too many options (obviously the white ones are just aesthetic, but everything else I have no idea about).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Get the 6 inch curved semi-stiff to start with. It’s almost certainly the right length and shape, but YMMV with the stiffness.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I like my straight flexible but next time I'll probably get a curved flexible. All depends on how you like to cut. Curved is way nicer for skinning but for a beginner straight is probably best I guess?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

Are there any important differences in the types/styles though? Getting that sort of choice paralysis with too many options (obviously the white ones are just aesthetic, but everything else I have no idea about).

The point I was trying to make is that it probably doesn’t matter for what you are trying to do.

What size fish are you going to be breaking down?

If you are routinely doing 100lb+ grouper/amberjack/dorado/Black tip then you probably want a larger stiffer knife. Something like a large butchers knife with a curved blade.

A huge stiff butchers knife is going to suck for filleting 20 3-5ib fish in a row though.

If you are filleting trout or or the smaller salt water fish like porgie or sheepshead or etc... then whatever is comfortable to you. You really just want to be agile enough to not lose a lot of meat with the carcasses. I preferred a curve because if you are doing a hundred fish in a row you want economy of movement and I felt I could sweep along the line quicker. It was probably in my head.

e: If you just want to clean up a side of salmon from the grocery store just use your sharp chefs knife.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’ve been making my own cold brew for a while and I’m wondering if there was a way I can make nitro cold brew. Or is this too “industrial” for an individual to make?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nitro cold brew is just normal cold brew that is dispensed through a tap driven by nitro, like Guinness. It just makes it a little creamy, and is like 90% gimmick. If the nitro cold brew you get is way better than your own iced coffee, it's because the iced coffee itself is way better than yours and you'll get a lot more value out of improving your cold brewing method/ingredients.

All that being said, if you really want to, you totally can setup your own nitro system. Ballpark like $250 for a cheap small one. I have been out of the game for a while, but go ask in the home brewing thread. A bunch of homebrew goons have setup systems for their beer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Nitro cold brew is just normal cold brew that is dispensed through a tap driven by nitro, like Guinness. It just makes it a little creamy, and is like 90% gimmick. If the nitro cold brew you get is way better than your own iced coffee, it's because the iced coffee itself is way better than yours and you'll get a lot more value out of improving your cold brewing method/ingredients.

All that being said, if you really want to, you totally can setup your own nitro system. Ballpark like $250 for a cheap small one. I have been out of the game for a while, but go ask in the home brewing thread. A bunch of homebrew goons have setup systems for their beer.

I like the creamy feeling the nitro gives the drink. I don’t think I like it enough to spend $250 though.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Any microwave suggestions? I don't need anything fancy but would like to avoid purchasing a crappy one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anything that has 1000w should probably be fine

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Wirecutter likes GEs. Other than that, no idea.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Get a Panasonic inverter model. They have better partial power settings than other models, and the auto reheat actually works.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Recommendation on an induction burner that can be tucked easily into my luggage but also pulls its weight at home?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I have a recipe for taco chicken in my Instant Pot and the recipe cites chicken breasts and I have boneless, skinless thighs, do you think I need to change the cook time? (12 min for the breasts, btw)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

If I have a recipe for taco chicken in my Instant Pot and the recipe cites chicken breasts and I have boneless, skinless thighs, do you think I need to change the cook time? (12 min for the breasts, btw)

I'd add a couple minutes but you probably don't have to, thighs hold up to longer cooking than breasts so it can't hurt to add a couple minutes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd add a couple minutes but you probably don't have to, thighs hold up to longer cooking than breasts so it can't hurt to add a couple minutes.

Didn’t see this in time but 15 m ended up fine.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

After it had a little bit of trouble blending some soup last week, a cartoon stick blender ghost just floated up from my basic Cuisinart one trying to use it today.

All of the recent Amazon reviews basically say that they changed the model and the new kind sucks rear end (new two-button setup, gears wearing out fast, blades breaking on fruit and yogurt somehow). Are there any go-to choices around the $30 price point? I don't mind going higher, but I was really happy with the Cuisinart one for years.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
These babies right here are a Godsend.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Farking Bastage posted:

How long have you used it? I have trouble with oil seeping from the threads, plugging the sprayer, or dripping. Not on this particular sprayer but various ones over the years. My wife bought an aluminum one that makes oil go rancid for some reason.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

wormil posted:

How long have you used it? I have trouble with oil seeping from the threads, plugging the sprayer, or dripping. Not on this particular sprayer but various ones over the years. My wife bought an aluminum one that makes oil go rancid for some reason.

I've had that set for a couple of months. No issues whatsoever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Farking Bastage posted:

I've had that set for a couple of months. No issues whatsoever.

Cool. I might get one.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I too have had the aluminum sprayer kind and yeah it makes it go rancid really fast.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

They have different models, but the 6oz plastic ones are awesome. No leaks, hasn't turned any oil bad, no clogs, nothing. http://evooilsprayers.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
questions for the breville smart oven owners: is this thing good enough to toss out my toaster oven? our toaster oven is 10+ y/o and ugly AF

also, is is it safe to use on a kitchen counter, under a cabinet?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BraveUlysses posted:

questions for the breville smart oven owners: is this thing good enough to toss out my toaster oven? our toaster oven is 10+ y/o and ugly AF

I don't own one, but probably! Hope this helps, op/.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes to everything. We threw out our toaster oven. We have ours under a cabinet and it’s been fine. Though there is about a 8” gap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big fan of my smart oven. It's basically a toaster oven that bigger, more powerful, and has convection features.

edit: I can cook up to a 14" (i believe) pizza in it. I've only done frozen/ready to bake pizzas so far, but it sure beats heating up the whole kitchen with the big oven.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: I can cook up to a 14" (i believe) pizza in it. I've only done frozen/ready to bake pizzas so far, but it sure beats heating up the whole kitchen with the big oven.

If it's really losing that much heat too the room look under the stovetop to see if there is an opening into the oven space. Mine had a chimney sort of thing, like a 1"pipe that vented oven air up out under a rear element. I used tinfoil to more or less block this off and the oven now both hats up much faster and also doesn't increase the temps in the kitchen by 5C. It's not a gas oven and I have no idea why this was put into the design.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

If it's really losing that much heat too the room look under the stovetop to see if there is an opening into the oven space. Mine had a chimney sort of thing, like a 1"pipe that vented oven air up out under a rear element. I used tinfoil to more or less block this off and the oven now both hats up much faster and also doesn't increase the temps in the kitchen by 5C. It's not a gas oven and I have no idea why this was put into the design.

Well the oven is supposed to be vented like that. And ultimately, all the heat it generates ends up in your home. Because physics. It may release that heat more slowly depending on insulation, but that heat has to go somewhere.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Well the oven is supposed to be vented like that. And ultimately, all the heat it generates ends up in your home. Because physics. It may release that heat more slowly depending on insulation, but that heat has to go somewhere.

Bullshit. It goes back into the heating elements when it goes into zero-point energy saver mode.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I totally agree/understand but because the heat was being generated for a longer amount of time (as I was effectively heating a larger volume of space) there ended up being more energy being made into heat in general and as such the kitchen temps were more affected.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The oven vent allows moisture to escape. If you set a pot over the rear element it will be covered in condensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Farking Bastage posted:

Looks promising. Several years ago my wife and I had one of the pneumatic jars that pump up like a bicycle pump. It looked a bit like this. Cap was slightly different but everything else was the same.

Early one morning we were awakened by a loud "pop" in the kitchen. The top of the oil sprayer had come apart and sprayed an explosion of cooking oil over that corner of the kitchen. Took quite a while to clean all the extra virgin out of nooks and crannies. It was probably a freak incident but never the less, never again. I might consider an unpressurized hand pump though.