Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to get some serious loving heat in this thread, but that twat Notch always struck me as someone who was just looking to sell out and justify it later, and he sure did.

I don't think anyone on this website is gonna defend Notch, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Syndlig posted:

code:
New music track inspired by Winnie the Pooh.
:shepface:

New "Taco Night" event incoming.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not sure how you meant this parroting of my last few words, but I will go on record as saying that I do not respect nor admire the wealthy or the hollow and miserable pursuit of wealth.

Haha no, you're not going to find anyone here who means it the other way. I know what he is today (a friendless, wealth hoarding white-apologist sexist and right winger). His good joke on Craig Ferguson about the building on fire was a one off I guess.

Red no doubt has better intentions and you can tell that in Terraria's quality consciousness alone

Notch did ONE good thing, managing to make the concept of "categories of voxels" into an interesting game in spite of the limitations of simple voxel engines. (edit: That and redstone). Notch lucked out into an untapped yet wildly demanded market niche (volume based sandboxes) but besides sticking his foot in he did barely anything with the concept once in there, compared to what is technically within reach right now.

Besides that one thing I assign all the credit of making the experience of Minecraft so good to c418 (who I presume was compensated very little for the game's music).

Speaking of which I hope this guy made a good chunk of money for what he did for Terraria too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvg412e6FqI

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 2, 2019

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Notch's core Thing has always been greed. I remember way way the gently caress back during Minecraft's development he actually had the loving gall to suggest wanting to charge modders a subscription fee to get a "license" that allows them to make mods for the game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Listen man, he had dreams of a jelly bean room in a depressingly empty home ever since he was a little boy, so he was working on making that happen.

I don't know what terraria's mod scene is like but I would imagine Red and the various devs are more of a "shrug and do whatever" type system with no real goals other than attempting to put it on various different consoles and maybe make a Terraria 2. Maybe. It's not like they're hurting for cash and Terraria is really just one of the best games ever.

Also, if anyone else remembers, I think the developer dude released the game earlier than anticipated because he gave an advance copy to a promoter with, like, no security/protection and the promoter put it online or tried to blackmail him or something?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is Revengeance mode for Calamity recommended? I'll just be playing solo so I wasn't sure how useful/balanced it is for that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

graynull posted:

Is Revengeance mode for Calamity recommended? I'll just be playing solo so I wasn't sure how useful/balanced it is for that.
Do you think Expert mode isn't hard enough?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

graynull posted:

I've been playing through Revengeance solo and besides a bit of early hardship it has been smooth since. If you're already comfortable with expert the jump to rev isn't nearly as big and mainly consists of more boss hp and tweaked attacks. The extra items are also pretty neat. It also gives you the option to toggle Death mode on/off for even harder bosses if that's your thing.

Absolutely not recommended if you haven't beaten/and or are comfortable with the vanilla game on expert before.

E: One thing I love about Rev mode is that it just showers you in money because fully modded weapons and gear are essential.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 26, 2018

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

graynull posted:

It has some fun stuff attached but the stupid insanity meter thing is reallyfucking annoying

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to get some serious loving heat in this thread, but that twat Notch always struck me as someone who was just looking to sell out and justify it later, and he sure did.

Notch's transformation from indie gaming elder statesman to MRA candy hermit is one of my favorite indie gaming things.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

grimcreaper posted:

It has some fun stuff attached but the stupid insanity meter thing is reallyfucking annoying

Insanity was removed for exactly that reason.
It was replaced by two new bars that instead of causing debuffs are used to trigger direct damage buffs on demand: One raises from taking damage and the other is triggered by not taking damage during a boss fight for a period of time.

The old version sucked, new version is fun.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Awesome. Glad to find that out. Might be time to mash another 30 mods together and play.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I don't know what the hell my phone is doing but sorry for the double post.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just found an Amarok in normal Terraria. This is supposed to be the best weapon out there? I've never used a yo-yo in Terraria before any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

Just found an Amarok in normal Terraria. This is supposed to be the best weapon out there? I've never used a yo-yo in Terraria before any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

Yo-yos get a lot better with their supporting accessories but I wouldn't call them the best weapons in the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Yo-yos get a lot better with their supporting accessories but I wouldn't call them the best weapons in the game.

What accessories? And this is where I got the info about how good they are from
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tier-list-early-to-mid-hardmode-weapons.49687/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

What accessories? And this is where I got the info about how good they are from
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/tier-list-early-to-mid-hardmode-weapons.49687/

Yo-yo Bag, which is the combined form of a bunch of things. A couple of which only show up on the skeleton merchant at specific times of day.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks, I see the Skeleton Merchant all the time.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Amarok isn't even the best Yo-Yo, though they do mention that they haven't put any post Plantera weapons on that list.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Is going all magic in hardmode any good? And is it really hard? I'm a bad player :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

Is going all magic in hardmode any good? And is it really hard? I'm a bad player :)

Magic has a rocky start til you get the space gun and meteor armor but it's fine after that. Be sure to make magic cuffs as soon as possible.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Space Gun and Meteor armor ok in early Hardmode? Currently wearing Cobalt armor and going for the pink armor I guess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lorini posted:

Space Gun and Meteor armor ok in early Hardmode? Currently wearing Cobalt armor and going for the pink armor I guess.

They're ok for entry into hard mode. Rescue the wizard from the dungeon and you should be able to craft some much stronger spells before you take on any new bosses.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I was just thinking about the thread title and i wanna give a shout out to our boy PBat for his years of service.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I've hit a titanium wall so putting the game aside for a bit until I feel like super grinding.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lorini posted:

Once you're in Hardmode, you should probably transition to Clockwork Rifle with Meteor Shot or something, at least until you get good Hardmode magic.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Exploding bullets and the Clockwork AR are a fantastic combo in early Hardmode. The bullets are cheap and easy to make (explosive powder from the Demolitionist & empty bullets from the Arms Dealer) and have enough knockback to deal with pretty much anything, just be mindful that the AOE can hurt you too,

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

Exploding bullets and the Clockwork AR are a fantastic combo in early Hardmode. The bullets are cheap and easy to make (explosive powder from the Demolitionist & empty bullets from the Arms Dealer) and have enough knockback to deal with pretty much anything, just be mindful that the AOE can hurt you too,

This but Onyx Blaster.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

I believe Party Bullets have fairly decent damage and are actually cheaper to make than it is to buy plain musket balls. Of course, once you have a Crystal Ball form the Wizard you can make a sack of infinite musket balls. (If you're playing modded, I recommend the mod which lets you do this with all the base game ammo types and many other mod's new ammo types.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I believe Party Bullets have fairly decent damage and are actually cheaper to make than it is to buy plain musket balls. Of course, once you have a Crystal Ball form the Wizard you can make a sack of infinite musket balls. (If you're playing modded, I recommend the mod which lets you do this with all the base game ammo types and many other mod's new ammo types.)

Party bullets are cheap and good but explosive bullets are amazing crowd control.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yo I'm on the way to take my first world into hard-mode and I'm still in the middle of a ton of projects I need to build but I'd be interested in any tips or things that you guys deem important to build/setup outside of the basics like a battle area and a herb farm.

Also, I'd like to make some fishing spots for myself and wonder what biomes I really need to create in my base area

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tin Tim posted:

Yo I'm on the way to take my first world into hard-mode and I'm still in the middle of a ton of projects I need to build but I'd be interested in any tips or things that you guys deem important to build/setup outside of the basics like a battle area and a herb farm.

Also, I'd like to make some fishing spots for myself and wonder what biomes I really need to create in my base area

make a sick castle with a lava moat

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I forget, did I ever post this gif of the game trolling me with a heart crystal?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Lowen posted:

I forget, did I ever post this gif of the game trolling me with a heart crystal?

There's a metaphor for the ankh shield in there somewhere.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WnWqp1qFvA

this is the best terraria vid I've ever seen

They spawned in 64 player characters in expert mode and now King Slime has 56,000 health

also somebody summoned the snow mafia

e: oh god the eye of cthulhu

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Does even a modded multiplayer server work? will be up for multiplayer if we have a good mod set for it. It'll be even better if boss health was always x32 or something.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

ssmagus posted:

Does even a modded multiplayer server work? will be up for multiplayer if we have a good mod set for it. It'll be even better if boss health was always x32 or something.

It does if everyone has the same mods as the host (and if those mods are multiplayer friendly). tModLoader can even download and sync your modlist to the host's, but I've seen it crash a time or two with bigger load orders.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I must have the worst luck with the angler. I'm past 30 quests and so far I've gotten three pocket guides and one tension line. I just wanna make that fish finder and if he gives me another damned mermaid costume I'm gonna put him in lava

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's ok to cheat in the fishing rewards, there are even browser-based tools for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wait you can cheat in items that you don't want to grind for? :aaa:

Well I've since gotten the golden net and some other drops and I'm only missing the radio and the tackle box so I might look into that!

Question, can you spawn the wall by having the guide doll equipped and killing the guide in a house that you made in the underworld? Just wondering cause I want to farm it for some drops but I don't look forward to grinding the dolls