Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They should give the VA even more focus in the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I can't wait to see The Phantom Menace animated it's gonna be great you guys.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/kadeart/status/1015986290188169218

Why do most anime characters look 200% better in suits?

I cannot wait for all the Star Wars edits for The Phantom Menace

Darth Mirio when?

https://twitter.com/singto_u/status/1015987618008346625

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Here's a fully translated interview with Horikoshi.

http://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/175677002046

Notables:
-Horikoshi wrote All Might vs AFO as if he was ending the series because that's how he wanted it to come off.
-Horikoshi really likes dark, violent, troubling stuff and is fine with sad endings in general but finds it mentally/emotionally draining to write. He wasn't feeling how dark the Yakuza arc was in some areas.
-He has/is expanding/expanded on characters past where he expected due to fan reaction; he thinks Toga and Tsuyu are the ones he feels like he has expanded/will expand on the most.
-A while back he originally thought he was going to end the series at 30 volumes, but that's definitely not happening now and we're nowhere near the final battle.
-He feels like people can have lots of different ideas of what constitutes a true hero. Some people think that would be someone like Deku, some people think that would be someone like Bakugou, and so on.
-If he can get away with it, he would like to have a full feature for Mina and Sero. He would like to write more about the rest of the class in general, and has had a Shouji arc in the tank for a while he'd like to do.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 8, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Fabricated posted:

Here's a fully translated interview with Horikoshi.

http://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/175677002046

Notables:
-If he can get away with it, he would like to have a full feature for Mina and Sero. He would like to write more about the rest of the class in general, and has had a Shouji arc in the tank for a while he'd like to do.

Give Mina more screen time you cowards! Sero is cool too and I like his costume the most out of 1-A, so I'd be down with him getting the spotlight too. Shouji arc sounds interesting, I'd like to learn more about the guy.

There's like a million pictures of these two in that outfit now and I love every single one of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sero is basically Spider-Man with the personality of Michelangelo from TMNT.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also the movie is basically canon, and Horikoshi was fairly involved in it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Horikoshi not being comfortable with dark themes explains quite a bit about the way the Yakuza arc was run.

The Kirishima flashback was probably a much needed relief for him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Do this Horikoshi. DO IT!

Viridiant posted:

Horikoshi not being comfortable with dark themes explains quite a bit about the way the Yakuza arc was run.

Well he stated he likes them. He just finds it mentally hard to write.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm super down for a Shouji arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't even remember who shouji is

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

-He feels like people can have lots of different ideas of what constitutes a true hero. Some people think that would be someone like Deku, some people think that would be someone like Bakugou, and so on.

Hmmm.

hosed up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ball of Arms Man.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hmmm.

hosed up.

Sing, oh Goddess, of the wrath of Bakugou, Mitsuki's son, angry, exploder...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

"Kakashi, but terrifying."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Viridiant posted:

That's not what was written at all.

quote:

-Horikoshi really likes dark, violent, troubling stuff and is fine with sad endings in general but finds it mentally/emotionally draining to write. He wasn't feeling how dark the Yakuza arc was in some areas.

That should probably be interpreted as "Yakuza arc not dark enough".

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Manatee Cannon posted:

Replicant arms guy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's not what was written at all.

That should probably be interpreted as "Yakuza arc not dark enough".
He felt it was too dark. He does make it a point to say he's cool with very dark elements in media he consumes though- it just seems like he has a hard time writing it.

quote:

Horikoshi: It’s not because the arc was long, but more about the story that made it difficult. The story was much too dark, and during the middle of it, I just wasn’t feeling it.

Interview: The internship arc indeed also had a character who actually died, and this was a very heavy episode that had not happened thus far.

Horikoshi: When I read other manga or watch movies, I really like stories that have dark plots. I also like stories that don’t have happy endings and can totally stomach gore and horror. However, when I’m writing it myself, it gets really difficult. I’m someone whose feelings fluctuate depending on the contents that I am working on.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah I don't know why people keep correcting me, nothing I said contradicts anything in that quote.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I didn't read the tumblr, that's why, sorry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I didn't read the tumblr, that's why, sorry.
:allears:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can respect people's desire to not read tumblr

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't know how you'd get darker than the Yakuza arc without becoming an entirely different series. The Yakuza arc featured: child slavery, a child being cut apart repeatedly to manufacture weapons, multiple grisly violent onscreen murders via internal explosion/disintegration, a mentor figure dying horribly via impalement/disembowelment, a student hero being crippled perhaps permanently, and an ending which featured the villains murdering another hero and then torturing a restrained man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't know how you'd get darker than the Yakuza arc without becoming an entirely different series. The Yakuza arc featured: child slavery, a child being cut apart repeatedly to manufacture weapons, multiple grisly violent onscreen murders via internal explosion/disintegration, a mentor figure dying horribly via impalement/disembowelment, a student hero being crippled perhaps permanently, and an ending which featured the villains murdering another hero and then torturing a restrained man.

Yeah but kill the students though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

Nighteye may as well have been a filler character and most of the outright murder was done to other villains and no-namers. It was a really dark arc, but it's not like anyone from the main cast died.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fabricated posted:

Nighteye may as well have been a filler character and most of the outright murder was done to other villains and no-namers. It was a really dark arc, but it's not like anyone from the main cast died.

I'm still really disappointed how little time we got with Nighteye. He was set up as Deku's next mentor, and while he did have a lot of impact it felt too quick to have much weight for me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Crain posted:

I'm still really disappointed how little time we got with Nighteye. He was set up as Deku's next mentor, and while he did have a lot of impact it felt too quick to have much weight for me.
The dude never even really recanted on how he thought Deku wasn't the right candidate. He was basically kind of an rear end in a top hat to him the entire arc until he was on his deathbed and was like, "Huh, he changed the future. That's kinda cool. BLEH-*dies*"

Even Mirio has to be like, "Yeah I know he was lovely to you Deku but he was a pretty good dude around me."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I mean, you don't need to start mass killing children for an arc to be ridiculously dark and edgy. Nighteye got more focus than many of the side characters in class A and was given an onscreen horribly gory death ending with him dying in a hospital bed while children watch. You could start killing the main cast kids for shock value, but that would be a very different series in tone, since MHA is fundamentally optimistic and "whoops trying to be heroes gave us a pile of teenage corpses" is fundamentally pessimistic.

Fabricated posted:

The dude never even really recanted on how he thought Deku wasn't the right candidate. He was basically kind of an rear end in a top hat to him the entire arc until he was on his deathbed and was like, "Huh, he changed the future. That's kinda cool. BLEH-*dies*"

Even Mirio has to be like, "Yeah I know he was lovely to you Deku but he was a pretty good dude around me."

I actually kind of liked this. It's a super shounen trope to have the protagonist prove naysayers wrong, but Nighteye is a dude who spent his entire life and career bound by the specifics of his quirk, to the point where he's not really able to conceive of things that it can't predict. Deku worked for him for very little time before the raid, so it's not like the two of them had a ton of time to bond or for Deku to prove himself, and Mirio fighting Overhaul to a standstill even after having his power knocked out only gives weight to the idea that if Mirio had OFA he would be an unstoppable hero to someone who doesn't necessarily believe in Deku.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

I mean, you don't need to start mass killing children for an arc to be ridiculously dark and edgy. Nighteye got more focus than many of the side characters in class A and was given an onscreen horribly gory death ending with him dying in a hospital bed while children watch. You could start killing the main cast kids for shock value, but that would be a very different series in tone, since MHA is fundamentally optimistic and "whoops trying to be heroes gave us a pile of teenage corpses" is fundamentally pessimistic.

I actually kind of liked this. It's a super shounen trope to have the protagonist prove naysayers wrong, but Nighteye is a dude who spent his entire life and career bound by the specifics of his quirk, to the point where he's not really able to conceive of things that it can't predict. Deku worked for him for very little time before the raid, so it's not like the two of them had a ton of time to bond or for Deku to prove himself, and Mirio fighting Overhaul to a standstill even after having his power knocked out only gives weight to the idea that if Mirio had OFA he would be an unstoppable hero to someone who doesn't necessarily believe in Deku.

You have no idea how many people I see mad the kids aren't getting killed in arcs, like legitimately furious because anything bad happening to anyone doesn't matter unless it's the kids and injury is nothing because they just "walk it off"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbf Deku gets injured very often, in fairly similar ways. So I can see that losing impact.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we're also dealing with utopian future-medicine so injuries are probably less of a big deal overall

shigaraki got pumped full of so many holes he probably couldn't take a drink of water without it comically trickling out of him, and he was dandy a month later

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's less wanting stuff to be grimdark and more wanting to know that any tension or fear you feel for the main cast outside of the MC is tangible.

If you know the author doesn't have the stones to kill the main cast members you like, then there's an element of tension that is removed. It's not totally gone because there's plenty of other dramatic aspects still in play, but you're not really afraid for the characters.

I mean a good chunk of the reason All Might vs AFO was so emotional and intense is that we really weren't sure if All Might was going to die or not. We know Deku can't die (permanently) but there could be tension in what other losses he suffers on the way to his ultimate destiny. Him having to say goodbye to one of his friends for good is one of those things he could have to deal with.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
is this the first major series of this manga author? its kinda neat seeing him acknowledging some stuff that he thinks could have gone better, but the talent is really really apparent. like i've reaad in retrospect he wishes he made bakugo less ridiculously mean, and that'd definitely be a good change because if you remove that sort of excessive bullying he becomes a pretty neat character (well, i think he has by this point anyway but that was definitely a tough part at the beginning)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tbp posted:

is this the first major series of this manga author? its kinda neat seeing him acknowledging some stuff that he thinks could have gone better, but the talent is really really apparent. like i've reaad in retrospect he wishes he made bakugo less ridiculously mean, and that'd definitely be a good change because if you remove that sort of excessive bullying he becomes a pretty neat character (well, i think he has by this point anyway but that was definitely a tough part at the beginning)

it's his third, but the other two got canceled early due to poor ratings

Gang Orca was a minor villain in the first one and his character design got transplanted wholesale into MHA

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

It's less wanting stuff to be grimdark and more wanting to know that any tension or fear you feel for the main cast outside of the MC is tangible.

If you know the author doesn't have the stones to kill the main cast members you like, then there's an element of tension that is removed. It's not totally gone because there's plenty of other dramatic aspects still in play, but you're not really afraid for the characters.

I mean a good chunk of the reason All Might vs AFO was so emotional and intense is that we really weren't sure if All Might was going to die or not. We know Deku can't die (permanently) but there could be tension in what other losses he suffers on the way to his ultimate destiny. Him having to say goodbye to one of his friends for good is one of those things he could have to deal with.

Right now the major stakes are at the societal macro level rather than the Class A micro level - i.e. will hero society be able to maintain its current status quo with All Might gone, or will there be a backslide into lawless chaos like the pre-All Might days - which is why we're suddenly getting Endeavor stuff and more information on the current top pro heroes.

Even if Horikoshi is gunshy about killing teenagers on screen, there's still a lot of ways for him to gently caress up their lives without doing so. I could envision an arc where UA runs out of chances and actually closes down forcing the kids to continue their education in some other way, or society begins to seriously crumble due to a loss of faith in heroes(which could ultimately lead to the kids having to restore it). I could also see a class member being removed from the hero game entirely, either voluntarily(fear of death/injury) or involuntarily(seriously injured or dequirked); for the latter, you can look at Mirio as a test case. He still exists as a character in the story but his dreams are basically dead, despite all his stiff-upper-lip optimism.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The way I see it there are two huge dangers to the main kid cast right now, sans death: That remaining quirk destroying bullet, and the identity of the traitor. Either of those could destroy a kid's future just as easily as death, though perhaps not as permanently.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Deku's gonna get shot by the quirk erasing bullet and he's gonna somehow give himself OfA, become his own successor, and grow even more powerful.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Feelin' bad for those limbs all over again.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Deku's gonna get shot by the quirk erasing bullet and he's gonna somehow give himself OfA, become his own successor, and grow even more powerful.

For some reason this feels both dumb and really plausible. Like it'd be a batman gambit moment where Deku says after the fact "I knew this could happen so I stored this hair"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

wacky comedy interlude chapter where koda's rabbit eats the hair and everyone has to try and catch a superstrong rabbit