Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That crust is spot on for a thick pizza. Nice job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The dog thought so, too. :v:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

sirbeefalot posted:

These aren't usually as photogenic as the NP and NY pies, but I was pretty impressed with this.

Absolute unit.

I want to know everything there is about this pizza. I'll settle for the recipe, dough weight, diameter, and time/temp please.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

I want to know everything there is about this pizza. I'll settle for the recipe, dough weight, diameter, and time/temp please.

For these I use Kenji's recipe and method, which works fine on its own, but I also incorporate my sourdough starter into it. I've been replacing some of the flour and water in the recipe with the ~1 cup of discard from feeding the starter, but this time I just added it to the full recipe and it worked great. The starter really takes the flavor of the dough into a whole other realm. When I was replacing flour/water with starter, it made the crusts much thinner than just the recipe by itself. I make two pies with the recipe in 9" cake pans.

Baked at 500ºF in my gas oven for probably.... 20-25 minutes, until the top looks good. This had a light crushed tomato base with oregano, salt and pepper, then whole milk mozz, topped with garlic, grilled chicken, onions, and a swirl of bbq sauce, and finished with fresh parsley after it came out. This was probably the best pan pizza I've made yet.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

How hot does the PIzza Party oven get on the outside? Mine just arrived and I foolishly didn't buy the stand for it. Now I'm trying to figure out where to put it and the best I've got at the moment is a commercial grade plastic folding table that can hold ~250 lbs static weight. I'm just worried about the oven melting through it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Testing out a 24 hour refrigerated fermentation on my sourdough. A really good margherita resulted!

:chanpop:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

forbidden dialectics posted:

How hot does the PIzza Party oven get on the outside? Mine just arrived and I foolishly didn't buy the stand for it. Now I'm trying to figure out where to put it and the best I've got at the moment is a commercial grade plastic folding table that can hold ~250 lbs static weight. I'm just worried about the oven melting through it.

I have never felt the bottom, where the insulation may be thinner, but the top only gets to maybe 120f at full burn for an hour.

I'd probably go to Lowe's/Home Depot and just get one sheet of rock wool for like $12, set the oven on top, then cut off the excess.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

I have never felt the bottom, where the insulation may be thinner, but the top only gets to maybe 120f at full burn for an hour.

I'd probably go to Lowe's/Home Depot and just get one sheet of rock wool for like $12, set the oven on top, then cut off the excess.

I was thinking of just putting the pallet that the box came on between them, but this is a much better idea. Thanks!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright first batch out of the pizza party. Learned a lot, and they actually turned out pretty well. 65% hydration dough, Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour. 1 hour autolyze, 1 hour bulk room temp rise, ~18 hour portioned fridge rise. Next time I'll probably skip the bulk rise and go a little higher hydration.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Those look stellar! Great work. Are you using the included floor bricks, or the saputo ones they sell?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Those look stellar! Great work. Are you using the included floor bricks, or the saputo ones they sell?

The included ones. I am definitely interested in trying the saputo ones at some point, but I need to practice my fire management a bit more and do a few more bakes to really get a good idea how the floor/dome temperature effects my bake.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Alright first batch out of the pizza party. Learned a lot, and they actually turned out pretty well. 65% hydration dough, Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour. 1 hour autolyze, 1 hour bulk room temp rise, ~18 hour portioned fridge rise. Next time I'll probably skip the bulk rise and go a little higher hydration.

Kickass pizzas, looking amazing!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The included ones. I am definitely interested in trying the saputo ones at some point, but I need to practice my fire management a bit more and do a few more bakes to really get a good idea how the floor/dome temperature effects my bake.

As a heads up, the saputo ones are very different, not necessarily better. They conduct heat WAY more slowly, so you can get your oven up to 800+ and not burn the poo poo out of the bottoms. Your cooks will go to under 90 seconds, easily, under 60 seconds if you want to go hotter (I typically cook at 975-1050+). You'll get a softer, more traditional NP results. I actually honestly miss the slightly crisper, neo-Neapolitan that I got on the stock tiles sometimes.

It's not SUPER hard to switch back and forth, just make sure that you are super careful removing the stock bricks, and keep them in a dry place. I was an idiot and was like "Everyone says the Saputo are better, what do I need THESE OLD lovely BRICKS FOR?!?!"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone have a suggestion for high gluten flour I don't necessarily have to get in 50lb bags? I had a source for All Trump's in 50# but can't find it where I now live. I got a bag of Kyrol at the Costco business center, but so far I don't like it as much as all trumps. We will see after this next batch of pizzas. I'd just get all trumps shipped but $$$$$$$

This is for New York style in a 500F oven on a steel.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think King Arthur Sir Lancelot is around the same protein percent range as All Trumps

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

kirtar posted:

I think King Arthur Sir Lancelot is around the same protein percent range as All Trumps

Yeah, but do you like it? :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for high gluten flour I don't necessarily have to get in 50lb bags? I had a source for All Trump's in 50# but can't find it where I now live. I got a bag of Kyrol at the Costco business center, but so far I don't like it as much as all trumps. We will see after this next batch of pizzas. I'd just get all trumps shipped but $$$$$$$

This is for New York style in a 500F oven on a steel.

I haven't used this vendor yet but plan to someday https://brickovenbaker.com/collections/all

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kirtar posted:

Are all your flours named after made-up tyrants?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

godDAMN these look good, what are you cooking them in? outdoor pizza oven?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

godDAMN these look good, what are you cooking them in? outdoor pizza oven?

Thanks! Cooking them in the Pizza Party 70x70.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God I wish I had a wood fire pizza oven.

I have a grill and a regular oven, but they’re not the same.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Ola posted:

I measure all my poo poo to the gram, every time. My dough is never the same twice. I've resigned my fate to the gluten god.

wormil posted:

Would the water make a difference? The first time I used tap water. The second time I used purified water because I had some left over from fermenting.

Whatever difference water has will have (probably very close to zero unless you are using some really funky water) is massively overshadowed by atmospheric (humidity and temperature) and ingredient differences (even the same brand of flour will not be the same from bag to bag). Or variations in kneading.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Whats everyones take on the pizzacraft stove stop oven? I do love my big freaking hunk of steel in my normal gas oven but during the summer months having my range blasting full power for over an hour is like running my literal furnace. If I ever do pizza parties I will still use the steel and the big oven but I am thinking the pizzacraft pronto might be nice for quick pies?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

For these I use Kenji's recipe and method, which works fine on its own, but I also incorporate my sourdough starter into it. I've been replacing some of the flour and water in the recipe with the ~1 cup of discard from feeding the starter, but this time I just added it to the full recipe and it worked great. The starter really takes the flavor of the dough into a whole other realm. When I was replacing flour/water with starter, it made the crusts much thinner than just the recipe by itself. I make two pies with the recipe in 9" cake pans.

Baked at 500ºF in my gas oven for probably.... 20-25 minutes, until the top looks good. This had a light crushed tomato base with oregano, salt and pepper, then whole milk mozz, topped with garlic, grilled chicken, onions, and a swirl of bbq sauce, and finished with fresh parsley after it came out. This was probably the best pan pizza I've made yet.

I tried this recipe (just as written for the dough) and got only a small 2-3x rise out of it after 20 hours. I divided it into the two pans, and it basically completely collapsed. No sign of a second rise at all, so I popped it in a slightly warm oven, praying that it does something, because it doesn't even come close to filling the pan.

EDIT: The rise seemed to work out OK when I kept them warm for the last 2 hours. The top & sides cooked well, though the bottom of the pizza took ages to get done. I had to cover it so the top wouldn't totally incinerate and then cook it for nearly 20 more minutes for the bottom to be not a soggy mess. I was doing the same two 9" cake pans, and they're aluminum so they should be conducting heat just fine, I would think.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 12, 2018

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

For those of you with the Pizza Party oven, do you guys use 1.) the flame separator and wood stand, 2.) just the flame separator, 3.) neither?

I've seen videos of people doing all of the above, and to be honest, I'm definitely leaning towards #2. The wood stand just seems to get in the way and make it more difficult to control how high the flame is once you've got a nice solid bed of coals.

My last couple batches have been...ok. But I've been experimenting every time with different mixing techniques, different rising techniques (especially bulk vs. ball), and different yeast content (the most recent batch? a 24 hour rise with only 0.2g of IDY).

Here's one from a recent batch that was with a 1 hour autolyze period and a 3 day cold, bulk rise. About 3 hours as balls in a proofing container.

Just finished getting a batch ready for tomorrow that will be a 12+12 bulk/ball, all ~72F rise. No autolyze, but I mixed the yeast into the dough instead of starting it in the water (which oddly seemed to make a huge difference). I did about 12 total stretch and folds with a ~10 minute rest period in between each group of 3. We'll see!

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 19, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Only the flame separator for me. A log stand just gets in the way in an oven this size.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The 12+12 batch turned out pretty well. I still don't quite have the fire management aspect of the oven down - timing putting a log on the coals with firing a pie is still tricky for me. Out of 6 pies, only one was worth taking a photo of, but it turned out really well.

Have a strong urge to get the Saputo tiles. Balancing the fire is hard enough without having to worry about the floor being 900+ degrees and incinerating the bottom of the pizza.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Still a beautiful pie. Kudos.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

cr0y posted:

Whats everyones take on the pizzacraft stove stop oven?
Disclaimer: I'm a supersnob. Just looking at it, I don't think it is doing anything to cook the pizza from the top, so you won't get any of that tasty, tasty leoparding. It might have other problems but I'd consider that to be the most salient. You're cooking from the bottom.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The 12+12 batch turned out pretty well. I still don't quite have the fire management aspect of the oven down - timing putting a log on the coals with firing a pie is still tricky for me. Out of 6 pies, only one was worth taking a photo of, but it turned out really well.

Have a strong urge to get the Saputo tiles. Balancing the fire is hard enough without having to worry about the floor being 900+ degrees and incinerating the bottom of the pizza.

That's a beautiful pie!

For flame management, you can "cheat" like a lot of places do and build up a solid bed of coals for heat, put in a pie, then dump a handful of wood chips onto the coals for a blast of quick flame for top heat without risking overheating the oven with another big log. You can find wood chips in the grilling section of your supermarket. Supposedly at those temps, no distinctive flavor survives, but I get oak anyway.

Saputo tiles just trade the floor problem for a sides problem. At the temps that you need to cook at with Saputo tiles, with as small an oven as the PP is, you can't let the pizza sit with one side facing the fire for more than about 15 seconds, tops. Any longer, and you incinerate the sides. You will end up with the softer, more pillowy crust that's more traditionally NP. You will also want to reduce the amount of tomato you put on there, since with such fast cooks, almost none of it evaporates.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

That's a beautiful pie!

For flame management, you can "cheat" like a lot of places do and build up a solid bed of coals for heat, put in a pie, then dump a handful of wood chips onto the coals for a blast of quick flame for top heat without risking overheating the oven with another big log. You can find wood chips in the grilling section of your supermarket. Supposedly at those temps, no distinctive flavor survives, but I get oak anyway.

I bought this thing:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200647343_200647343

It should let me break down my logs into much smaller strips. I've seen people "pre-heating" a log after they pull a pie, so when you're ready for the next pizza, you can plop the smoldering log on the coals and it ignites instantly. Going to try this method for the next batch.

I've been using apple since it's the cheapest around here, can't say I've noticed any flavor. I think apple and pizza probably go well together anyways?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

This might be a bit heretical, but I've really nailed my basic neo-neopolitan dough process/recipe and I am getting silly with the toppings now.

Any suggestions on how to best execute a pad thai pizza? I've gotten a sauce/protein(shredded chicken or baby shrimp) consistency that works well on the crust, but I'm struggling with the sprouts/basil/carrot part of the equation. I don't want them cold, and I don't want them to cook too much and start releasing their liquids thus ruining the whole thing. The first attempt I tried just a quick pass under the broiler then garnishing on the pizza before slicing, but that seems clunky and like there's probably a better option.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Wife wants me to make a salmon pizza. I’m gathering you cook the crust first or at least partially?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Lox, added after the fact?
Edit: When lox is on a bagel, you can eat salmon anytime. 🎵

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sextro posted:

I'm struggling with the sprouts/basil/carrot part of the equation. I don't want them cold, and I don't want them to cook too much and start releasing their liquids thus ruining the whole thing.

I'd consider cooking them separately in a hot wok or similar, and adding them at the end of the cook or just before serving. Using tongs as a way to drain off any unwanted juices.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Talking about pad thai pizza made me think of trying to make banh mi pizza, and now I must try it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Let's talk pizza ovens. I want a dedicated oven for my back yard and realistically I am never going to find the time to build my own. Currently looking at the Pronto and Uuni, but curious if any of you guys have other recommendations. I like that the Uuni burns wood (pellets) and runs hotter than the Pronto, but I wish I could make a pizza larger than 13" in it. Ideally I'd like something that actually burns wood and with a capacity to fit pizza up to 16" , but seems like that's just not possible without going up into the thousands of dollars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sextro posted:

This might be a bit heretical, but I've really nailed my basic neo-neopolitan dough process/recipe and I am getting silly with the toppings now.

Any suggestions on how to best execute a pad thai pizza? I've gotten a sauce/protein(shredded chicken or baby shrimp) consistency that works well on the crust, but I'm struggling with the sprouts/basil/carrot part of the equation. I don't want them cold, and I don't want them to cook too much and start releasing their liquids thus ruining the whole thing. The first attempt I tried just a quick pass under the broiler then garnishing on the pizza before slicing, but that seems clunky and like there's probably a better option.

sounds like too much work, might i recommend leftover thai satay chicken or pork, cilantro, julienned carrots and green onions with peanut sauce instead of pizza sauce

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Pepperoni and mushroom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ogopogo posted:

Pepperoni and mushroom!

goddamn