Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Morphix posted:

so here is an example of interpersonal conflict that's repeated at least twice in the same episode and a 3rd time with the black opa lady in like the 2/3rd half of season2:

Pilot likes cooking, it gives him a sense of commendatory with his team and a moment away from the madness. Cool. Solid idea, every Sci Fi military thing has a mess hall scene where bonding happens over food.

So Pilot cooks for everyone in season 1, that's set.

Season 2 rolls around and now the pilot has this exact same scene except this time with two individual characters on the ship, separately of course. And to top of the season the pilot lets the black opa lady cook and completely flips the script!

So that's just one example of what I'm getting at with this repetition thing. The biggest offender is the soldiers talking and the running theme being 'who can you really trust', it wasn't bad when it was just the core group introduce in season 1, but than they just keep introducing more and more characters. But to give concrete examples of this I'd have to watch s2 again because it really started to wash over me after a while. The one that really stood out was when they rescued the Mars ship and the Earth Diplomat is on the ship with the recently exiled Mars Recon Marine. Like we wasted at least 3-5 minutes of the show establishing that it's hard for these brand new cast of characters to trust the crew that just rescued them. loving why show, whyyyyyyyy, like havn't we had enough scenes where someone who is rescuing someone doesn't trust them. gently caress we've had an entire episode plot lines centered around this concept. But gently caress it here are some throw away characters, lets run the trust script again because always gotta keep the drama high stakes, every scene, every interaction.

The scene should of been 'mars marines rescued, they revolt, they get forced to take a message after failed revolt' 15 seconds blim blam done. If the budget or time constraints of the episode don't call for massive action in the revolt, make it short like they did in the episode. But the loving lead up to it, to be reminded why it's about to happen, and why this makes sense in the universe they've created. It's like I'm constantly being hand holded through every scene.

Have you considered not watching a show that you find so much to take exception to? Curious what you find enjoyable about the show.

Sure the food bits are somewhat repetitive, but it helps to lend humanity to the characters and helps illustrate the nature of their humanity and various life experiences. Gonna go on a limb here and assume that your life's not jam packed full of action and adventure. The Expanse isn't really a space opera ala star wars or something of that ilk. It's more of a semiserious space politics drama with bits of space adventure thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Since this conversation is stupid, I want to ask a question about Drummer's elevator ride. During the ride to the reactor, she unlocks the magboots on her mech suit thing and looks all relaxed as she floats up. How was that any different from the zero G she was already experiencing?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

She wasn't in zero g before that, she was in the spinny part of the Nauvoo (hah, I spelt it right this time!)

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
hahahaha "There's more than one scene of people cooking things! SO REPETITIVE!"

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

sebmojo posted:

On the one hand I get what you're saying, on the other "everything has changed, who can you trust" is p basic human drama and it happens in the context of some major Actual Things happening so eh

and totes, and that's why I loved season 1, one of the overall themes was about trust, miller trusting his gut/heart, the team trusting each other, etc etc. There are a bunch of fun themes in this show, but it's like they're all explored nicely in Season 1, and than instead of finding new themes to explore, they're just dragging the plot to rehash the old stuff. Like one reason I've stuck with this is I'm really curious what the world dynamic changes like when everyone knows there are aliens. Suddenly maybe old lines erase, common enemy, who knows, but it'd be an interesting setting to revisit these universal themes.

dog nougat posted:

Have you considered not watching a show that you find so much to take exception to? Curious what you find enjoyable about the show.

a lot, a lot about the show is great, the characters, they're multi facteted, the story and world building are done great for the most part even in season 2/3.

quote:

The Expanse isn't really a space opera ala star wars or something of that ilk. It's more of a semiserious space politics drama with bits of space adventure thrown in.

again I don't understand what's so hard. I'm not asking for more loving action scenes. I'm asking not to be beat over the loving head with the same variation of themes sometimes multiple times per episode. the politics stuff is great, when it moves the plot forward, it's not great when once again we have to have two politicians loving talking about WHATS BEST FOR THEIR SIDE AND HOW CAN YOU EVER UNDERSTAND THAT YOURE FROM THE OTHER SIDE! Shorten that, give me an update on the war front, give me another flash back to tech being developed for the universe, anything but just that same thing.

BlackJosh posted:

hahahaha "There's more than one scene of people cooking things! SO REPETITIVE!"

it loving is when once again people learn to trust each other with the power of food, do anything but bond over food, gently caress on it, use it as pranks, anything but two people sitting down over some super and hashing things out.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 8, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Did a food hurt you once, Morphix

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ashpanash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLZff9ioko

Oh my god it's so much worse than I remembered

Edit: now in HD!

Oh gently caress, this is so much dumber than I remembered.

Still less dumb than the current discussion. :smugdog:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm gonna rationalize the so-called repetitive nature of the plot devices and character interactions as illustrating the repetitive nature of our lives. Well everyone except for Morphix who apparently has only done and will only something once and then never for fear of becoming boring (shitposting not withstanding obv).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the food scenes. People eat a lot in real life so those scenes are like poetry. They rhyme.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

sebmojo posted:

yes, I once was beaten by a ham at a formative part of my life

but also it's more like passion for the things you love, if I didn't care about the setting/world/characters, I wouldn't even be posting here. People validating my tv watching likes isn't what keeps me up. I was honestly curious if anyone else shared the take if the show got better, or if maybe there was talks of a different direction. There's been a drought of good hard sci fi and this show really wet that appetite in the first season. I've been sticking with it largely out of a love of that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Morphix is the welwala of the Expanse thread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maybe you could watch it on fast forward with subtitles?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm puzzled by the first season thing tbh because that is nothing but people working out if they can trust each other, it's like you watched season one of MONSTER TRUCK GANG BANG and you're disappointed at later seasons' focus on enormous vehicles and group sex

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Legend of the Rangers was the first Babylon 5 thing I ever saw and I immediately knew it would be my last.

no don't

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Morphix posted:

so here is an example of interpersonal conflict that's repeated at least twice in the same episode and a 3rd time with the black opa lady in like the 2/3rd half of season2:

Pilot likes cooking, it gives him a sense of commendatory with his team and a moment away from the madness. Cool. Solid idea, every Sci Fi military thing has a mess hall scene where bonding happens over food.

So Pilot cooks for everyone in season 1, that's set.

Season 2 rolls around and now the pilot has this exact same scene except this time with two individual characters on the ship, separately of course. And to top of the season the pilot lets the black opa lady cook and completely flips the script!

I can't even remember this egregiously repetitive food-cooking scene in season 2, but do you not think the purpose of naomi cooking in season 3 was her trying to find a way to defuse the tension/apologise after she gave the belt the protomolecule, with the different reactions from the crew to her food being indicative of how they feel about her and what she did? like, this is an example of the show trying to avoid a big dull conversation about feelings by subliminating it into something else

with the martian marines, it's not a question of trust. they just want to fight the war so they can save their friends, and a bunch of belter scavengers with a stolen mars ship are stopping them from doing that. getting convinced to stand down is a proxy for avasarala convincing the martian government to not fight the bogus war, which is a direct consequence of the episode. if the martians just rolled over and agreed to help, the conflict would have no weight and there would be no accomplishment for the characters in stopping the (toothless) war

e: like the thing going on here with this episode is that war has a certain inertia to it, and people will wanna fight even a stupid senseless war because people they care about got hurt or could get hurt, so they gotta fight the war that hurts their friends to stop the war from hurting their friends, and it's pretty hard to get out of that kind of rigid thinking just by asking 'pretty please stop fighting, we're the protagonists in a cult science-fiction television show'

again it sounds like you want to watch something like star trek tng, where there's no disagreement or tension, everyone's friends with each other and more importantly friends with you, and there's a problem and they solve the problem and everything's wrapped up and no one changes. thankfully I don't think this show can give you that

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 8, 2018

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Morphix posted:

The scene should of been 'mars marines rescued, they revolt, they get forced to take a message after failed revolt' 15 seconds blim blam done.

What the gently caress

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Morphix posted:

black opa lady
Pilot
Earth Diplomat
Mars Recon Marine

Are you doing a bit, or do you legitimately not remember a single character's name?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate the trend of stupid grimdark shows where the main cast all have X-TREME personal drama between each other and it's just all drama and tension all the time. It's exhausting and the drama always feels so contrived, two characters have a big falling out due to some idiotic miscommunication and everyone does or says the one little thing that keeps the drama going, even if it seems out of left field for the character. I didn't not care for BSG beyond the mini-series, I hate the new Star Trek, I just really hate contrived drama.

But the drama in the expanse never feels contrived, the characters, even minor ones, are all so solid that their actions always make sense. Everyone's doing what seems reasonable to them, even trying to diffuse situations the best they can, but there's still conflict. Most everyone are good people too, sure they have flaws and demons but it's not again this modern trope where every character has to be deeply broken dark anti-heroes because that's so gritty and real. The drama in the expanse is well written and earned, not contrived, and that's what makes all the difference. It's also rarely drawn out or milked like so many other long-running series.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kaedric posted:

What the gently caress

I'm imagining this as a scifi blipvert and it owns.

morph you should try the books I think they are more 'crew does crew stuff, solves space crimes' than the show

E: also ^ yeah this is what I think. I recognise the repeated beats talking about but only felt it was a problem in the middle of season 2

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 8, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

sebmojo posted:

I'm imagining this as a scifi blipvert and it owns.

Oh my god we'd all explode.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think BSG is worth watching still but even during the original run I can recall the attitude towards a lot of the characters towards the end was "yeah is there anyone left that hasn't done some horrible rear end in a top hat thing?" and that was really exhausting after awhile

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Other repetitive scenes in the expanse:
In season 1 they put on space suits, we get it, there's no air in space, yet the show keeps re-using this plot device over and over.
In season 1 we see the space ships shoot down enemy missiles with their PDC's, cool concept, but we keep seeing PDC's and missiles again and again, lame.
In season 1 we hear this silly belter language, it made me uncomfortable because I didn't understand them, but then I realized that was the point, well done. But then they keep using this accent throughout the show! Repetitive!
In season 1 Miller talks about "Doors and Corners" and then again he re-uses this line, come on, can't you think of something else for miller to say?
In season 1 there's a scene were people are shooting at each other while taking cover, this keeps happening over and over. People shoot guns, people take cover, lame what is this gears of war???

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Other repetitive scenes in the expanse:
In season 1 they put on space suits, we get it, there's no air in space, yet the show keeps re-using this plot device over and over.
In season 1 we see the space ships shoot down enemy missiles with their PDC's, cool concept, but we keep seeing PDC's and missiles again and again, lame.
In season 1 we hear this silly belter language, it made me uncomfortable because I didn't understand them, but then I realized that was the point, well done. But then they keep using this accent throughout the show! Repetitive!
In season 1 Miller talks about "Doors and Corners" and then again he re-uses this line, come on, can't you think of something else for miller to say?
In season 1 there's a scene were people are shooting at each other while taking cover, this keeps happening over and over. People shoot guns, people take cover, lame what is this gears of war???

In Season 1 there's one scene after another of Miller taking off the hat.

Also lots scenes showing how the proto-molecule is blue, I think the audience knows what color it is after showing hours of the same proto-molecule scene

Why do they keep showing this to the audience?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Morphix posted:

it really started to wash over me after a while

I think I may have identified the problem. :350:

Seriously though. Those character interactions are important because each one of them is establishing character motivation and fills out the characters. Most shows don't bother with that at all or make the most cursory effort with vague archetypes.(see: Darkmatter) The Expanse has characters that do things that make sense because their motivations are so well established (for the most part, looking at you, Melba )

It's pretty galling to me that you can't see the value of those interactions to the plot, especially in a show where the dialogue is so tightly written. Pretty much every interaction between characters has a point and well as paying off somewhere down the line. There is so little chaff in the dialogue that saying it's repetitious seems like a message posted from bizzaro world.

It's hard to come to any conclusion about your perspective other than you just weren't paying attention. I'm trying, but you are making it so hard with the word soup you keep posting.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 8, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

listen everyone, he's made "award winning weed" so his opinion deserves respe

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh gently caress, this is so much dumber than I remembered.

Still less dumb than the current discussion. :smugdog:

sir, the ship's targeting systems cant fire off this many hot takes. we need someone to pilot the Morphix chamber:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bring back old gbs posted:

sir, the ship's targeting systems cant fire off this many hot takes. we need someone to pilot the Morphix chamber:

Holy poo poo how is this real.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SCREAMING MAKES MY LASER PUNCHES DEADLY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

etalian posted:

Morphix is the welwala of the Expanse thread.

Don't you pin him on us.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Holy poo poo how is this real.

I'm only 2 seasons in after more than a decade of people telling me that Babylon 5 is the best space show everrrr.
So far, it's a real roller-coaster of a show. When it's good, it's really loving good. When it's bad, it's so, sooo bad.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Svaha posted:

I'm only 2 seasons in after more than a decade of people telling me that Babylon 5 is the best space show everrrr.
So far, it's a real roller-coaster of a show. When it's good, it's really loving good. When it's bad, it's so, sooo bad.

It gets better.

Well, until season 4 ends. The first half of season 5 is pretty meh, but the back half is good.
No Ivanova in s5 though, which is sad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks all for the post season reminder to un-bookmark the thread. I always forget to do that in TVIV threads.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Thanks for the update. Make sure to let us know when you've rebookmarked it.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

What is that video of the lady punching/kicking lasers from her fists/feet from? Leaked Star Citizen footage from cutscenes?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Babylon 5

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Legends of the dangers

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Babylon 5

LOL well I'm never gonna watch that show now.

Seems like something Morphix would love though.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's leaked season 4 test footage from when the aliens arrive and Fred Johnson uses the protomolecule to turn Drummer into a human turret

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's Legend of the Rangers, not Bablyon 5.

Totally different beast. Lucky for you nerds can't fight, or I'd be punching you for getting them mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

B5 is intensely good scenes and drama layered with lots of cheesy sets and wooden acting, but overall it's really good. Legend of the Rangers is the star wars Christmas special of follow-ups.