Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has The Tree of Life for pre-order at only $22.89, which is cheaper than it would be at 50% off at B&N or a flash sale:
https://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-Bl...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Also, I watched King of Jazz tonight and it was a blast. Most two-color Technicolor survives only as prints or dupes, so it's astonishing to see an example largely from camera negative. I think the only other feature with substantially extant camera negative in two-color is Toll of the Sea, but it's only on DVD and from a poor quality transfer at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has The Tree of Life for pre-order at only $22.89, which is cheaper than it would be at 50% off at B&N or a flash sale:

Nice.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Xenomrph posted:

Hold onto your butts, because I’m about to knock the Criterion release of Night of the Living Dead (a little).

1. Whoever thought it was a good idea to pack in the essay booklet as a fold-up mini-poster rather than as, you know, a booklet, might be an idiot.

2. The features on the Blu-ray are neat, but not exhaustive - I’ve got a really classy DVD release that has a ton of features that I wish were ported over to the Criterion, but I’m not sure any of them were. Here’s a photo of the DVD:

Some of those bonus features like the Romero commercials and the Stephen King essay I'd love, but a lot of that stuff is still readily available. Hell, There's Always Vanilla is on YouTube. Meanwhile, having the Night of Anubis workprint cut for the first time ever is a treasure.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Online order arrived the other day and I bought more than I should have. The Demy set was the only blind-buy and I'm really glad I got it, watched Lola last night and it was great.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Egbert Souse posted:

i get to order myself a late birthday present, fun!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah thanks for sharing that Tree of Life deal Ebert, I jumped right on it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon also seems to have a lot of Criterions for 40-45% off.

Looks like the only titles that are 50% off are Tree of Life, Dietrich/Von Sternberg set, Lady Snowblood, the BBS set, Complete Jacques Tati, and the World Cinema Project sets.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon also seems to have a lot of Criterions for 40-45% off.

Looks like the only titles that are 50% off are Tree of Life, Dietrich/Von Sternberg set, Lady Snowblood, the BBS set, Complete Jacques Tati, and the World Cinema Project sets.

They've also got Scanners for $17.24 and in stock. It's been that price a lot lately though often on backorder.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Ali: Fear Eats the Soul today. I figured I'd enjoy it since I liked All That Heaven Allows and Far From Heaven quite a bit and yeah I was right, its fuckin good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Claude Lanzmann died today; having watched so many, many films none has moved me as much as Shoah. Even though I'm probably never going to watch it again, it really is an essential Criterion release and I urge everyone to pick it up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've really wanted to see Shoah, but it's not streaming and Netflix only has the old Facets DVD, which I assume looks like poo poo.

Raxivace posted:

I watched Ali: Fear Eats the Soul today. I figured I'd enjoy it since I liked All That Heaven Allows and Far From Heaven quite a bit and yeah I was right, its fuckin good.

I haven't seen Far From Heaven, but I thought both the Fassbender and Sirk films were fantastic. Only other Sirk I've seen is Magnificent Obsession, which I didn't like much. I don't even know where to start on Fassbender besides that since it looks like he made a ton of great films.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It was my first Fassbinder and yeah I was mighty impressed by it.

I've also only seen two Sirks, though my other one was his version of Imitation of Life which was a fantastic film IMO.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Written on the Wind was Fassbender's favourite Sirk film, so you could go there next. Ebert's review is a delight. https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-written-on-the-wind-1956

Roger Ebert posted:

This is a perverse and wickedly funny melodrama in which you can find the seeds of “Dallas,” “Dynasty,” and all the other prime-time soaps. Sirk is the one who established their tone, in which shocking behavior is treated with passionate solemnity, while parody burbles beneath. [...]

To appreciate a film like “Written on the Wind” probably takes more sophistication than to understand one of Ingmar Bergman's masterpieces, because Bergman's themes are visible and underlined, while with Sirk the style conceals the message. His interiors are wildly over the top, and his exteriors are phony--he wants you to notice the artifice, to see that he's not using realism but an exaggerated Hollywood studio style. The Manhattan skyline in an early scene is obviously a painted backdrop. The rear-projected traffic uses cars that are 10 years too old. The swimming hole at the river, where the characters make youthful promises they later regret, is obviously a tank on a sound stage with fake scenery behind it.

The actors are as artificial as the settings. They look like Photoplay covers, and speak in the clichés of pulp romance. Sirk did not cast his films by accident, and one of the pleasures of “Written on the Wind” is the way he exaggerates the natural qualities of his actors and then uses them ironically.

Unfortunately there's only a not very good French blu-ray of the film available, so you might as well settle for the DVD.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That probably will be the next Sirk I watch, but Googling around a bit and I see that apparently there is a rumored Criterion blu-ray coming? I think I'll just hold out for that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A Criterion edition of Taxi Driver is up on Filmstruck. The newsletter says it's a limited engagement, but not how long it's going to be up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

I've really wanted to see Shoah, but it's not streaming and Netflix only has the old Facets DVD, which I assume looks like poo poo.
I caved and bought Shoah from B&N yesterday, I hope it’s as uplifting and life-affirming as I think it is! :kiddo:

I think I’m cutting myself off from buying any more sale stuff until watch more of what I’ve got. I’ve got movies from 2 sales ago that I haven’t gotten around to watching yet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

I think I’m cutting myself off from buying any more sale stuff until watch more of what I’ve got. I’ve got movies from 2 sales ago that I haven’t gotten around to watching yet.

yeah... I had a small stack of unwatched movies already, then bought a bunch during the sale, then I got the Zatoichi set... I don't know when I'm going to get around to watching all of these.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Payday was today, so I ordered...

Dietrich and Von Sternberg in Hollywood
The Color of Pomegranates
The Silence of the Lambs
Tom Jones
Midnight Cowboy

Might get Shoah when I pick up A Matter of Life and Death when it comes out on the 24th.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

A Criterion edition of Taxi Driver is up on Filmstruck. The newsletter says it's a limited engagement, but not how long it's going to be up.

It's on the Sony Blu-ray. Which is a fantastic release from one of their usual perfect 4K restorations. Even the shootout at the end looks way better than previous editions. Also has two more commentaries - one by a film historian and another with just Paul Schrader. Also has about 3 1/2 hours of documentaries, interviews, and video essays. I have the first edition that comes in a deluxe digipak with a set of poster/lobby card reproductions.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Xenomrph posted:

I caved and bought Shoah from B&N yesterday, I hope it’s as uplifting and life-affirming as I think it is! :kiddo:

Nop

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Netflix does have the Criterion but it's a gamble as to which you'll get. When I got them in the mail I got a few of the old DVDs and a few Criterions.

IIRC the older DVDs were put out by New Yorker Films and they're slightly cropped and don't look as pristine either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really am so glad they changed the Tree of Life cover

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I really am so glad they changed the Tree of Life cover

Me, too. I can't even find the picture of the cover they first put up but it completely misrepresents the film

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
I know this is off-topic, but probably the best place to ask: a theater near me is doing a 26-film Bergman retrospective (with mostly new digital restorations). Have only ever seen Fanny and Alexander (loved) and Cries and Whispers (lukewarm, but should probably watch again). Which of these are must sees and which can I skip?

They’re showing Wild Strawberries, Summer Interlude, Smiles of a Summer Night, Secrets of Women, Summer with Monika, To Joy, Seventh Seal, Sawdust and Tinsel, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, The Magician, Shame, The Virgin Spring, Hour of the Wolf, The Devil’s Eye, Scenes from a Marriage, Magic Flute, Persona, Passon of Anna, F&A, Cries and Whispers, The Touch, Autumn Sonata.

Some are more obvious than others, but any advice would be appreciated.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MystOpportunity posted:

Wild Strawberries, Smiles of a Summer Night, Seventh Seal, Winter Light, Shame, Scenes from a Marriage, Persona, F&A, Cries and Whispers, Autumn Sonata

Here's ten films I would absolutely go out of my way to see at the theater.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MystOpportunity posted:

I know this is off-topic, but probably the best place to ask: a theater near me is doing a 26-film Bergman retrospective (with mostly new digital restorations). Have only ever seen Fanny and Alexander (loved) and Cries and Whispers (lukewarm, but should probably watch again). Which of these are must sees and which can I skip?

They’re showing Wild Strawberries, Summer Interlude, Smiles of a Summer Night, Secrets of Women, Summer with Monika, To Joy, Seventh Seal, Sawdust and Tinsel, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, The Magician, Shame, The Virgin Spring, Hour of the Wolf, The Devil’s Eye, Scenes from a Marriage, Magic Flute, Persona, Passon of Anna, F&A, Cries and Whispers, The Touch, Autumn Sonata.

The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, and Persona are absolutely essential.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Besides Fanny & Alexander, I'd say The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Persona are all amazing. The Virgin Spring is also great, and Hour of the Wolf is a cool surreal horror flick, if that's your thing, and a bit of a departure from his usual chamber dramas.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MystOpportunity posted:

I haven't seen a lot of them, I hear The Virgin Spring is good. I like the chamber dramas and recommend Through A Glass Darkly, The Silence, and definitely Persona.

Persona is a movie that should be seen in a theater, film print if possible, but a good digital restoration works, too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If possible, watch Persona without knowing anything about it.

That's what I did at 1 AM one night and lol what an experience.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Raxivace posted:

If possible, watch Persona without knowing anything about it.

That's what I did at 1 AM one night and lol what an experience.

This. I watched it at the art museum and the presentation was phenomenal, but I went in totally blind.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
No love for The Magic Flute, thread? For shame.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only Bergmans I've seen are The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, and Fanny & Alexander theatrical. Filmstruck has 44 of his films, so I've been meaning to catch up a bit.

Also, I have The Innocents in from Netflix, so I'll be watching that tonight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

No love for The Magic Flute, thread? For shame.

That is the only Bergman I’ve seen that I haven’t liked but I’m not much of an opera guy

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Autumn Sonata hit me hardest of the Bergmans but that could be more of a personal issue

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Autumn Sonata is similar to Cries and Whispers for me. Absolutely amazing and unforgettable films, but because they're so emotionally taxing I'm not sure I'll ever want to revisit them, and so I don't really have a reason to buy them on blu ray.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't remember seeing a Bergman which I didn't enjoy. Even his "lesser" works are worth it. So go watch as many as you can, I'd say.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I saw Autumn Sonata last week and drat Woody Allen really ripped from it hard for September.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hour of the Wolf is the closest thing he ever did to a horror movie, so if you like that kind of thing I'd see that, it's pretty creepy. If you are only going to see a few, The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries are essential.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Frankly, all the Bergman films I've seen except magic flute have been horror. At minimum existential horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Frankly, all the Bergman films I've seen except magic flute have been horror. At minimum existential horror.

I wouldn’t quite go this far but I do consider Persona a kind of horror movie and the first dream sequence in Wild Strawberries is a great horror scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bergman's films tend to be more honest about the human experience than most, and that's I think what leads to them having elements of horror even if they aren't actually horror films. There's existential horror, which of course Bergman does extremely well, but then there's the more mundane "sometimes a relationship can never be properly repaired" or "your mother married a complete shithead" and that stuff can be just as horrific when it's presented the right way.