Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Soarer posted:

I'm finding myself in a bit if paralysis at really starting the game. I started when it first launched but then lots of people were blitzing the game and talking about how easy everything is. The first major patch seemed to address some of that then another major patch coming out making some pretty big changes to the game and now a DLC looming close with another big patch along side it. I feel like I don't know when I should start a play through.

I’m a FIG backer but with limited gaming time and much knowledge of Obsidian’s tendency to release games that could use updates plus their pretty robust FreeLC, patching and DLC plans I have decided to treat this summer as an extended pre-release beta season. Looking forward to playing Deadfire in the Fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

doingitwrong posted:

I’m a FIG backer but with limited gaming time and much knowledge of Obsidian’s tendency to release games that could use updates plus their pretty robust FreeLC, patching and DLC plans I have decided to treat this summer as an extended pre-release beta season. Looking forward to playing Deadfire in the Fall.

yeah I think I'm leaning that way too. Also backed the FIG campaign. I really enjoyed the first one after dropping off the first one at pretty much the end. Ended up coming back and doing both DLCs then wrapping up the main story.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Basic Chunnel posted:

PoE2 will probably have a long tail but Tyranny didn’t seem to, so who knows.

Man remember Tyranny

tryeanny sold 562,631 copies

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
double post

TEENAGE WITCH fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 11, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Digital Osmosis posted:

There's also the idea that real time games are dying, the only genre that really exists is MOBAs and those are probably leaking viewers to Fortnite or whatever. Meanwhile turn based games have had a banner couple of years with poo poo like the divinity games, the XCOMs, the battletechs, etc.

I freely admit my analysis might be biased by the fact that I think RT games are loving terrible and turn based games super fun.

I would argue MOBAs haven't been a thing for a while now, they were superseded in popularity by team shooters like Overwatch and then by Battle Royale games. Most MOBAs nowadays are either dead or stagnating growth-wise, games like Dota 2 aren't getting bigger any time soon, despite having Valve behind.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm playing through Pillars1 and wondering if anyone ever made a savegame cleaner? My load times are slowly getting longer and longer and maybe they wouldn't if the game didn't have to keep track of the literal thousands of junk weapons and armors I vendored?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Azran posted:

I would argue MOBAs haven't been a thing for a while now, they were superseded in popularity by team shooters like Overwatch and then by Battle Royale games. Most MOBAs nowadays are either dead or stagnating growth-wise, games like Dota 2 aren't getting bigger any time soon, despite having Valve behind.

DOTA2 hasn't been stagnating, it's been actively losing players. I think it lost 20% in 2017 alone. MOBAs are basically dead and, in my experience, they've all gone to Battle Royales.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Jinnigan posted:

I'm playing through Pillars1 and wondering if anyone ever made a savegame cleaner? My load times are slowly getting longer and longer and maybe they wouldn't if the game didn't have to keep track of the literal thousands of junk weapons and armors I vendored?

Delete unnecessary saves. Load times are a Unity engine problem based on the number of save files, not the size.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

isk posted:

Delete unnecessary saves. Load times are a Unity engine problem based on the number of save files, not the size.

What??? I had no clue about this, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr_Gee posted:

What??? I had no clue about this, thanks!

Yeah, I think it has to fully open each one to get the screenshot and name and time instead of keeping them separate or doing a partial read.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know anything about designing game engines but that seems like a bit of a design flaw.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Can someone explain the Shady disposition to me? I'm playing with the Show Qualifiers option turned on in conversations and have been actively avoiding Shady responses, yet I still manage to rack up half a bar of Shady reputation after only exploring two hubs in Neketaka.

Is it because I've been trying to find the peaceful, nonviolent resolutions to Principi interactions and thus become technically complicit in their crimes? So far I've convinced Zamar the shipwright to take the exclusive Principi patronage and talked Degnos out of betraying his captain to the Principi but did not turn him in.

How big of a hit am I taking with my Kind Wayfarer's Faith and Conviction bonus by having this amount of disfavored reputation?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

moot the hopple posted:

Can someone explain the Shady disposition to me? I'm playing with the Show Qualifiers option turned on in conversations and have been actively avoiding Shady responses, yet I still manage to rack up half a bar of Shady reputation after only exploring two hubs in Neketaka.

Is it because I've been trying to find the peaceful, nonviolent resolutions to Principi interactions and thus become technically complicit in their crimes? So far I've convinced Zamar the shipwright to take the exclusive Principi patronage and talked Degnos out of betraying his captain to the Principi but did not turn him in.

How big of a hit am I taking with my Kind Wayfarer's Faith and Conviction bonus by having this amount of disfavored reputation?

Some disposition gains are in a way "hidden" even if you have qualifiers on, depending how you deal with situations or how other people may interpret what you meant

See the bartender in Port Maje having trouble with the guy upstairs not giving up the room, the player can ask "You want me to kill him?" and it won't show as Shady, but the Bartender will interpret as it is and it will show at the end of his dialogue that you did gain the disposition "accidentally"

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I think it has to fully open each one to get the screenshot and name and time instead of keeping them separate or doing a partial read.

My impression was that this affected the time it took to open the list of savegames to load from, not the actual time of loading the save (or moving from screen to screen). e.g. quick-load wouldn't be affected at all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's lame, the dialogue options should be labelled based on how they'll be interpreted. If not then they're telling you what your character is feeling when they say it, which is frankly none of the dead author's business

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kujeger posted:

My impression was that this affected the time it took to open the list of savegames to load from, not the actual time of loading the save (or moving from screen to screen). e.g. quick-load wouldn't be affected at all.

When continuing from the main menu it has to find the most recent one, but quicksave shouldn’t be affected by my understanding. I might have misunderstood the complaint!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

frajaq posted:

Some disposition gains are in a way "hidden" even if you have qualifiers on, depending how you deal with situations or how other people may interpret what you meant

See the bartender in Port Maje having trouble with the guy upstairs not giving up the room, the player can ask "You want me to kill him?" and it won't show as Shady, but the Bartender will interpret as it is and it will show at the end of his dialogue that you did gain the disposition "accidentally"

I do remember Port Maje's Bartender shady response and reloading to avoid it, I just wish I could remember where I somehow picked up this Shady response between there and the start of Neketaka.

EDIT: You know what, I did jack the Kraken's Eye at the bar and did hear the bartender lamenting about it later on. Maybe they implemented Shady disposition into pickpocketing/stealing?

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 8, 2018

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm not sure how emblematic I am in the market, but I think I occupy a somewhat different space than many posters on these boards. First, I love RPGs and have been playing them since the 90s. Enough that when I remember that Baldur's Gate was considered casual and roundly condemned by grognards as a superficial game valuing style over substance.

And I like RPG combat mechanics--in turn based games. I still replay Wizardry 8, and with a speed mod, still have a great deal of fun with it. The Original Sin games were very much my jam, and they're not RPGs, but I also loved XCOM (and X-COM) and Battletech. With that said, I don't enjoy the combat in either Pillars of Eternity that much and play it on the easiest difficulty level. Why? Like others in this thread, I really don't like real time combat, at least not real time with pause combat. Others have articulated the reasons perfectly well, so I won't dwell on that.

But I get a lot of enjoyment out of the interactive story telling elements of RPGs as well. Even RPGs with combat I don't enjoy I'll get a great deal of fun out if I can interact with a well written story. I generally don't like shooty games, but Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite RPG of all time because of the various ways you can define your character and their relation to the story, as well as the reactivity of the story line and characters. Even relatively minor and superficial things I really get a kick out of, like characters reacting to your outfit/gear and character stats giving slightly different options in dialog. This is also why I love Arcanum despite it having an admittedly awful combat system. Obsidian is currently the developer that does this the best, and perhaps the only major developer with a serious commitment to this (Original Sin 2 is often praised for this, but I didn't notice it all relative to to Obsidian games).

I liked the story and writing in Deadfire, but I think it came up short in some important ways for me. Perhaps this was an early version bug, but the disposition system seemed rushed. NPCs reached max disposition very early, and it didn't seem like there was that much of an effect on their actual disposition. Likewise, it seemed far too quick and easy to max our the character traits, and the dialog selections for character traits weren't really well thought out. It was quite frustrating that sometimes there was only one dialog option but it would still trigger a disposition shift. I love the concept of characters having reputations for their disposition, and I've only really seen it in this series. I thought it was much better implemented in Pillars of Eternity 1 than 2 though. I think even KOTOR2 and Neverwinter Nights 2(at least with Mask of the Betrayer) got party interaction down better, at least mechanically.

Basically, when it comes to real time with pause games I don't care about all the fiddly mechanics that get stressed over and picked over in this thread. But I do love RPGs as interactive stories. Deadfire does this better than most games in the genre(it's only real competition is other Obsidian games), but I think there are either bugs or design oversights that really stick out related to the disposition and party interactions. This really lessened my enjoyment of the game. I'd don't know if that would have any effect on game sales--I doubt it, since it's not something word of mouth would really focus on--but that's my perspective on the game as someone who might have inconsistent preferences with the rest of this thread.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea the disposition system as is seems like an afterthought and very much like it was plastered on rather than something natural. Not much would be lost if it was cut I feel. Not a big enough complain aside of a companion leaving you permanently if you have diplo/shady at one point though.

One expection is Atsuurak (sp?) actually making great use of it but that's the only one I can think off. Edit: Beat me to it, agreed. :D

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 8, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Yea the disposition system as is seems like an afterthought and very much like it was plastered on rather than something natural. Not much would be lost if it was cut I feel. Not a big enough complain aside of a companion leaving you permanently if you have diplo/shady at one point though.

Without the disposition system Atsura would be a far lesser character and that alone justifies its inclusion IMO.

And yes, the disposition system was bugged at release. It was patched pretty quickly but wasn't retroactive, so the disposition gains made that way stayed that way.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I just finished up with Hasongo and when I left the world map seemed to have almost tripled in size. Is there really that much to do or is it just deceptively huge?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's pretty big. I think it's supposed to open up like that after Nehetaka or whatever, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jokes posted:

It's pretty big. I think it's supposed to open up like that after Nehetaka or whatever, though.

Yeah, it opens up after you hit neketaka, hasongo, or I think Fort Deadlight. I think it's just intended to point you towards Neketaka quickly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It opens up once you've been to Neketaka I think. I didn't go to Hasongo until I'd done almost all the other side quests in the game

E: as to how much there is to do, reports seem to vary. I finished the game just shy of 90 hours, but I never used Fast Mode when running around and played all the combat slow. People around launch were finishing at 40-50 hours; presumably they did use Fast Mode

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, and there's a lot of semi-hidden and easily missable content, too.

Overall I think the game probably has about as much content as the original base game did, but more of it is easily skippable due to the open world structure.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

2house2fly posted:

It opens up once you've been to Neketaka I think. I didn't go to Hasongo until I'd done almost all the other side quests in the game

E: as to how much there is to do, reports seem to vary. I finished the game just shy of 90 hours, but I never used Fast Mode when running around and played all the combat slow. People around launch were finishing at 40-50 hours; presumably they did use Fast Mode

It took me around 40 hours without using fast mode, but I pretty much skipped all the bounties. I think I got most of the other content though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I don't know how you can play the game without fast mode.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Would you (or anyone really) be interested in mods that added brand new companions that were 100% text?

Hell yeah that'd be awesome!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Man I hope someone mods in cosmetic slots because I like how various outfits look, but I want good armor effects.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's, honestly, the only mod I would actively seek out.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Man I hope someone mods in cosmetic slots because I like how various outfits look, but I want good armor effects.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's probably easy enough to change armour models, you'd just have to know the name of the model you want it to look like and then edit the text file for the armour to use that

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
man i'm bummed about the sales figures on this game, but it makes sense that just like in tabletop D&D, video game D&D is doomed to regressive lovely design being the most popular while anything actually good flounders.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know how you can play the game without fast mode.

Fast mode tends to break pathing and collisions for me for some reason

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Impermanent posted:

man i'm bummed about the sales figures on this game, but it makes sense that just like in tabletop D&D, video game D&D is doomed to regressive lovely design being the most popular while anything actually good flounders.

what's up, presumably 4E grognard buddy?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
corpse eater sounded real good til it turned out you'd be fighting ghosts and skeletons all the loving time, or exploding every other non skeleton body with massive gibs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Corpse Eater can eat the forbidden pie on rest to get +2 to all power levels.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

corpse eater sounded real good til it turned out you'd be fighting ghosts and skeletons all the loving time, or exploding every other non skeleton body with massive gibs

You can turn the gibs off but yeah that is weird design.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’d go so far as to say it’s broken. Subclasses should not switch between being viable and non-viable based on graphical options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You’d think you’d at least be able to eat the gibs or something yeah.

If you pick corpse eater, do your companions ever comment on it? You’d think at least Eder would have a kind about not remembering you being so much of a cannibal