Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
A good glass screen protector pops into place nicely without any air bubbles. I've never bothered with protectors for smartphones since they have to withstand my greasy fingers and dirty pockets anyway but my Switch is a precious baby I want shield from all the world's ills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

:same:

the air bubbles would drive me crazy.

Mine doesn’t have air bubbles, and the touch screen feels 1000% better when it’s glass, and the colors look better on the glossy screen protector.

The guy who can’t get his bubbles to go away aside, there is no reason not to use a glass screen protector, it literally makes the screen better.

The real key will be when someone makes a glass digitizer you can just swap in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Learn to put a screen protector on, friend.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah I'm good. :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The AM Film Glass screen protector is so good that even with my gorilla hands was able to put it on absolutely perfectly aligned the first try with no bubbles.

I wasn't able to replicate this same feat of precision for my friend however. :negative:

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I use protection too. No bubbles on mine, but I hate how glossy it is. Makes it hard to play outside.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Panzerschwein posted:

I use protection too. No bubbles on mine, but I hate how glossy it is. Makes it hard to play outside.

Yes yes but what about your switch?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I love my screen protector. I got the popular $6 two pack, I forget the brand, but everyone was suggesting it at launch. I don’t notice it’s there, the 5 year old who notices every little thing doesn’t know it’s there, no bubbles or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Yes yes but what about your switch?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
mine refused to adhere properly in the very top right corner...but its on the bezel so I don't really care all that much. And i have the second protector out of my 2-pack if it ever starts peeling up

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every single device I've ever tried to put one of those protector things on has developed a bubble, or has one corner or part of the edge that refuses to stick down, letting air in and eventually making the thing start to peel off. Probably my big huge strong manly hands, which aren't suited to such delicate tasks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I never use screen protectors on anything but IMO it’s a must have on the switch. It just makes the screen so much nicer when you touch it. The plastic they used is kinda garbage :shrug:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Are the folks who are having trouble with the screen protectors applying a matte finish to the stock screen beforehand?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The perfect console with the perfect joycons and a perfect screen protector.

All it’s missing is Dark Souls Remastered.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You got some peeling or air in the top right corner buddy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight had been very good but last night it finally grabbed me by the throat.

Area spoiler: City of Tears

Poking around not sure where to go, I still needed to buy the lantern, but 1900 is a lot of dollars so I'm just sort of exploring and banking when I get 200-300, building up as I go, being pretty cautious. I get back around to the bridge that isn't there and realize I can get up to do the jump puzzle now, so I get through it and make it to NEW ZONE and no map. And the door closed behind me. Exploring around here, there are a lot of tougher enemies but I find the nail guy and start fiddling with this elevator puzzle. Then I find the vendor-trash guy and realize I can cash out for a couple grand. Except I don't yet because I know I'm still in danger mode.

I finally climb up up up and see the sheets and hear the humming and get excited ... but LOCKED DOORS. OK, big guy, I can kill the big guy on three hearts ... but you kill him and two more guys spawn and I panic and die. Back all the way down to ... somewhere? How did I even get to where I was? I spent a half hour making my way back (and paying attention to how) and after a couple more tries get past the fight, get the map, get the subway station, sell my vendor trash, and finally buy the lantern. Probably 2 full hours with no map and no way back carrying hundreds of geo and fighting monsters a LOT tougher than anything I'd seen up to that point.

It was the first zone that felt deeply curated as an experience vs an organic "poke around and see what happens, leave come back whatever" and it was exactly the right time in the game to hit you with it, after a lot of other obvious avenues in the first zones had been exhausted. The vibe and the pacing and the setting really hit home.

SO GOOD.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

You got some peeling or air in the top right corner buddy.

That's definitely glare.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello thread I have a switch now. Is the pro controller a must have? I don't hate the joycons but I don't love them either.

I haven't put a screen protector on yet but I used to work in a place where I had to install them so I've worked with protectors way too much. The key is to use the drat device after installing the screen protector. The heat from the screen will help cure the adhesive and it'll stick better in the long term. Again, I haven't tried myself yet on a switch, but I'm guessing a lot of people are having problems with a switch because they're installing the screen protector then plopping it in the dock and not allowing the screen to get hot.

I installed a glass protector on my phone. I was lazy and hosed it up, got a giant piece of dust under the screen that created a giant bubble that I couldn't get out. I bought a replacement screen protector and just left the lovely one on. By the time the replacement arrived, the bubble was mostly gone and the dust is completely invisible when the screen's on. I can only find it when I'm looking for it so I just left it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

Hello thread I have a switch now. Is the pro controller a must have? I don't hate the joycons but I don't love them either.

It's not a must-have, but it is very, very good, d-pad problems notwithstanding

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Play your switch a good bit to see how you actually use it and how much the stock controllers actually bother you.

I had a pro controller in my cart when I bought, but decided against it finally. In actual use, my switch turned out to be handheld 99% of the time and that pro would be gathering dust right now. I'm sure I would enjoy a Pro more than the pack-in grip thing, but for the once a month I play on the big screen I'm much more pleased having spent that money on 2-3 indies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Between the attached joycons and the joycons in the dogface controller, I dont feel a need for a pro controller

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah it's gonna change my life being able to play DS on the go.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Pro controller is great for splatoon. It just feels so right once you get used to the motion controls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Between the attached joycons and the joycons in the dogface controller, I dont feel a need for a pro controller
The buttons, particularly the shoulder buttons, are extremely tiny on the joy cons. For intense gaming like MK8 or Splatoon the Pro Controller is much more comfortable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got Tropical Freeze before getting Runner 3. Been playing Runner 3 nonstop, and sucked at the game at first. Like... I remember getting through levels and not getting 100% Perfect + and being like "gently caress that, never playing that level again!" Now I finished Runner 3 and am going back and playing the old stages and I am getting 100% Perfect Plus by only dying a few times rather than in the 30s and 40s. I am not trying to move onto the Impossible Levels, and god drat are they loving hard. I-1 there is a spot I just can't pull off no matter what. I can beat some of the others I've attempted, but nowhere near 100%.

So I went back to Tropical Freeze to give myself a break, and man do the controls feel like poo poo. After a good month of playing Runner 3 it just makes Tropical Freeze feel clunky.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jizz Festival posted:

Pro controller is great for splatoon. It just feels so right once you get used to the motion controls.

:yeah: :woomy:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pro controller feels good but it's very much a luxury, a spare set of joycons is a more useful buy as it functions as a separate controller and can also be used for 4 player single joycon stuff.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Astro7x posted:

Got Tropical Freeze before getting Runner 3. Been playing Runner 3 nonstop, and sucked at the game at first. Like... I remember getting through levels and not getting 100% Perfect + and being like "gently caress that, never playing that level again!" Now I finished Runner 3 and am going back and playing the old stages and I am getting 100% Perfect Plus by only dying a few times rather than in the 30s and 40s. I am not trying to move onto the Impossible Levels, and god drat are they loving hard. I-1 there is a spot I just can't pull off no matter what. I can beat some of the others I've attempted, but nowhere near 100%.

So I went back to Tropical Freeze to give myself a break, and man do the controls feel like poo poo. After a good month of playing Runner 3 it just makes Tropical Freeze feel clunky.

For Tropical Freeze you have to understand that the controls are deliberate, not clunky. DK moves with all the weight and momentum you expect of an 800 pound gorilla so he can’t make jumps with the same fluid grace as Mario and Sonic. Once you understand that and adjust the game should feel a lot better.

Or you can play as Funky and have the cool double jump which helps a fair deal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I wish I liked Hollow Knight half as much as you guys do. It's a good game, and I 100%'d it (on PC, before the DLC came out), but I don't think it's that good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you install it properly it doesn't have air bubbles

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Fallom posted:

If you install it properly it doesn't have air bubbles

Let's not start this again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Let's not start this again.

That statement is final

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

go gently caress yourself

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

don't put screen protectors on things, problem solved

like unless you carry your electronics around in a sack of razor blades it's a complete non-issue

Seriously it’s so weird to me. I can’t wait until goons get over the obsession with them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Don't think I saw it mentioned here yet but Hand of Fate 2 is hitting the Switch on July 17th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUifUIrE7hQ

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I put a screen protector on my switch but not on my phone. I'm a loving loose cannon

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Why are you all touching your Switch's screen?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cause it's a touchscreen...?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

gmq posted:

Why are you all touching your Switch's screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's the best way to play Darkest Dungeon by a million miles.

• Locked thread