Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani absolutely could still play outfield because Shohei Ohtani can do whatever the hell he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Ohtani absolutely could still play outfield because Shohei Ohtani can do whatever the hell he wants.

Can Ohtani throw a pitch so sick not even he can hit it? :smug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

No, but it would then be caught by Ohtani in the field.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I stopped playing fantasy baseball this year but how does this guy work there?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grem posted:

I stopped playing fantasy baseball this year but how does this guy work there?

Depends on where you play. Most sites have it coded so you can choose to start him as a hitter or pitcher, similar to the way you would move a position player between eligible positions, and you'll get his stats for that position. So if he's pitching in an NL park (or the Angels give up the DH on a day he's pitching) you can start him as a hitter and not get his pitching stats that day or start him as a pitcher and not get his hitting stats that day.

On Yahoo he's two separate players because they're loving idiots.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Our fearless leader and future benevolent dictator has done it again. If you have not accepted him into your heart, it is time to repent.

https://streamable.com/ro0kc

It's pretty clear that the KC outfielders believe that to be just a routine double to the gap.

How is everything so easy for this kid?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Would you rather have this dude or Mike Trout if you are starting a new franchise?

trout, no question. as fun as shohei is, he screams injury risk to me. for a founding piece, you need to minimize risk as much as possible. trout's also been a god for years now.

have to take trout.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Didn't someone ask Grienke that?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

trout, no question. as fun as shohei is, he screams injury risk to me. for a founding piece, you need to minimize risk as much as possible. trout's also been a god for years now.

have to take trout.

I agree. We also don't know how he is going to adjust as the league adjusts to him.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Pancakes posted:

Somebody needs to do the needful and sim an all-Ohtani team in OOTP.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

He hasn't played the outfield in years. And there's only one outfielder/pitcher combination in my heart, even if it was years removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cSgDflCF98

But Ohtani is a good pitcher

And also a good hitter

I remember when Ankiel threw one so far off line against the Astros in the playoffs it went into the upper third of the net and caused the PBP guy's brain to short circuit and he yelled "Touchdown!"

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
He's a bust.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Agreed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing wrong here, don't worry about it. It's totally fine and you're all over reacting.

IT WAS A BLISTER, OK????

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's no way that blister heals properly if he continues to bat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
He's getting blisters from jerking off to all his press clippings.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Edit: double post

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 19, 2018

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

wtf is this

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black magic.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Haha I thought I was in the NBA thread

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hes probably pretty good at basketball too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

He hasn't played the outfield in years. And there's only one outfielder/pitcher combination in my heart, even if it was years removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cSgDflCF98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpCmWx22IA

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Johnny Bravo posted:

Hes probably pretty good at basketball too.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/MLB/status/990061642107908096

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Just a reminder to pay your respects to our lord and savior - currently has a ho-hum slash line of .348/.392/.658 in 69(!!!!) AB.

Oh - he had another 10+ strikeout day as well because he's baseball Jesus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
nice

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

From Deadspin may 21

"According to PITCHf/x data from Baseball Prospectus, hitters miss 60.26 percent of the time they swing for an Ohtani splitter. That’s the highest whiff rate for any pitcher since 2006, when PITCHf/x began tracking pitch data.

It’s not just that pitch that makes hitters miss, as Ohtani’s overall whiffs per swing percentage is 35.02, also the highest in the tracking era.

By any advanced metric, Ohtani’s splitter is fooling would-be hitters at a historic rate. The only counterevidence to Ohtani’s dominance is sample size—he’s thrown 158 splitters this year—which sums up how thoroughly the Angels pitcher is owning opposing batters right now."

https://deadspin.com/shohei-ohtanis-splitter-is-the-most-untouchable-pitch-i-1826202680

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
It's very reasonable to assume first year performance is the norm for mature star pitchers from Japan.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

:gas:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fuuuck. hes basically never going to DH again is he :(

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
We will all get to tell our grandkids how we saw a third of a season of Babe Ruth in 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pancakes posted:

I still love Albert. If Shohei Ohtani has more hits, RBI's or home runs than Albert Pujols during the 2018 season I will donate $250 to the National Eating Disorders Association. :toxx:

Please don't blame me.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Our lord and savior has returned. Praise be.

https://streamable.com/kzs0t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sab0921 posted:

Our lord and savior has returned. Praise be.

https://streamable.com/kzs0t

I'm the old japanese dude with the binocs

• Locked thread