Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I thought all those clips of Monarch's timeline leading to Skull Island release were pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I don't think MechaG would work with Legendary Godzilla. To me, one of the most distinctive things about Legendary's take on Godzilla is that the military quickly gives up trying to fight him at all. He is completely and utterly beyond humanity's capacity to harm, so the military barely tries.

Well then you go to his original backstory, where he's an alien cyborg built by gorillas from a black hole.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jet jaguar would be a better fit for legendary than mechagodzilla

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Big Man Japan worth watching if I've already seen the final fight scene?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, its a pretty tight movie and that joke ending doesnt have anything to do with the movie.

It still rules tho.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

I’m ready for some PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH on the big screen.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I desperately want to see Legendary Godzilla and Jet Jaguar shaking hands and talking monster talk in tyool 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can see Jet Jaguar as a crazy genetic experiment combining Kaiju DNA with human or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a friend who thinks Ultraman is terrible because Game Grumps or something ragged on a terrible Ultraman SNES game.

I've made his contact photo in my phone a picture of Jet Jaguar out of spite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have a friend who thinks Ultraman is terrible because Game Grumps or something ragged on a terrible Ultraman SNES game.

I've made his contact photo in my phone a picture of Jet Jaguar out of spite.

If we judged franchises on awful video games

Nothing would be good

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Burkion posted:

If we judged franchises on awful video games

Nothing would be good

Except for Robocop vs Terminator.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Except for Robocop vs Terminator.

That game was loving awesome. Finding the hidden ED-209 or Terminator plasma rifles early on that you could equip and blow through the levels were fun as hell. Also the SNES cartridge was black, which made it badass.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't think I ever beat that game - I think when you get to the Terminator hellscape it gets like really loving hard.

Such a good game tho - excellent graphics and sounds. Felt so chunky.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

Don't think I ever beat that game - I think when you get to the Terminator hellscape it gets like really loving hard.

Such a good game tho - excellent graphics and sounds. Felt so chunky.

Never played the Genesis version, but the SNES gameplay was clunky as hell, with some of the cheapest hitboxes in recorded history, and you could fall into a pit if your toe went over the abyss.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monarch is a decent attempt at some kind of ARG/underlying thread for the movies but yeah it's boring as gently caress, which is a shame because the "human" elements of Shin Godzilla were great while they were a weakness in the Legendary Pictures film. If we're going to be following people around on the same scale as previous movies for the next go, I hope they get a way better cast/script/loving everything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I recently played both the SNES and Genesis versions of Terminator vs RoboCop back to back on my SNES Classic. The Genesis is hands down better. I never played any of them back in the day so it's not nostalgia talking either.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean if we wanna talk bad Snes games, Super Godzilla is bad on a level where I don't see how it could ever have been good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of how the Phantom 2040 game on the SNES is apparently ridiculously ambitious and good, having dozens of alternate endings and routes depending on what you do in the story.

I still like that MONARCH's earliest timeline point for possible kaiju activity is The Great London Smog, because I really want to see what their take on Hedorah looks like.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean if we wanna talk bad Snes games, Super Godzilla is bad on a level where I don't see how it could ever have been good.

I really love this game, though it's likely heavily covered in the nostalgia lense. However, it was nowhere near Godzilla 2 - War of the Monsters. Let's get a modern take on organizing Kaiju-defense. I'll even take an Xbox Arcade title or something, we don't need a full game.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

McGann posted:

I really love this game, though it's likely heavily covered in the nostalgia lense. However, it was nowhere near Godzilla 2 - War of the Monsters. Let's get a modern take on organizing Kaiju-defense. I'll even take an Xbox Arcade title or something, we don't need a full game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Breach?wprov=sfla1

From the makers of FTL. Technically mecha vs kaiju, but similar gameplay and spirit.

I had Godzilla 2 when I was in elementary school, and it seemed really good, but I didn't progress very far due to it being a little beyond my age level at the time.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Super Godzilla is a very bad game, but it did give me one of my favorite absurdist anti-LPs to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb3ElugexOw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The other SNES Godzilla game, the Japanese fighting game, was the first ROM I ever downloaded as a kid. It's a lot better than Super Godzilla.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm positive that Super Godzilla was supposed to tie in to Godzilla vs Space Godzilla back in the early stages of the script when it still was Bagan instead.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'm positive that Super Godzilla was supposed to tie in to Godzilla vs Space Godzilla back in the early stages of the script when it still was Bagan instead.

His transformation at the end is exactly the same design except with horns instead of crystals, so yeah.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well it's more than that. There's the implanted remote control, plus the boss order follow the heisei film order up til the end. Though what's really weird is the U.S. version replaces mechagodzilla with his Showa counterpart, complete with a changed moveset.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can see Jet Jaguar as a crazy genetic experiment combining Kaiju DNA with human or something.

here's my idea: they should make Jet Jaguar a big robot

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I vote this one.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Choco1980 posted:

Though what's really weird is the U.S. version replaces mechagodzilla with his Showa counterpart, complete with a changed moveset.

IIRC that's because Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II hadn't been released in the US in any way when Super Godzilla was released (this is also probably why the US manual refers to Battra as "Battle Mothra")

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Make Jet Jaguar a literal rocket-powered jaguar.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 12, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Kaiju must be made of incredibly strong and exotic materials just to beat the square cube law, Pacific Rim even played on how Kaiju bodies are gold mines for scavengers. Wouldn't be surprised if both the Pacific Rim and Godzilla sequels played on humans finding uses for Kaiju body parts. Apparently one version of Mechagodzilla was already basically an EVA.

monster hunter Monster Hunter MONSTER HUNTER MONSTER HUNTER :dance:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pollyanna posted:

Pacific Rim already did this. There was a thriving black market for kaiju remains in PR1, and the drones and evil mech in 2 used kaiju gribblies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

The Kaijuu Busters games on the DS are basically Monster Hunter in the Ultraman universe. Really.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You gotta admit though, a Monster Hunter movie would be choice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good thing there's one in development right now!

It's by Paul W.S. Andersen, the director of the Resident Evil films and he put his wife in as the main character AGAIN.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Waffleman_ posted:

Good thing there's one in development right now!

It's by Paul W.S. Andersen, the director of the Resident Evil films and he put his wife in as the main character AGAIN.

Oh I forgot about that. :cripes: I was hoping for something less...stupid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Pacific Rim already did this. There was a thriving black market for kaiju remains in PR1, and the drones and evil mech in 2 used kaiju gribblies.

Pacific Rim 2 kaiju list is also a list of movies I'd like to see.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished Shin Godzilla on YouTube, rather than just trying to synthesize it all from disparate clips on the net.

Were the bodies on the tail at the end really people it stomped on? Way I understood it, the implication is that Maki's DNA ended up in Godzilla and that's where it got the ability to make humanoid versions of itself. Did I miss something?

vvv 👍

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 12, 2018

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Were the bodies on the tail at the end really people it stomped on?

No

quote:

Way I understood it, the implication is that Maki's DNA ended up in Godzilla and that's where it got the ability to make humanoid versions of itself.

Yes

quote:

Did I miss something?

No

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Godzilla 2014 literally has an army guy say "I guess we're monster hunters now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit, now I wanna spin World back up.

I’m listening to Mothra’s song from SOS, and I really hope they do her justice in the next movie. A movie centered around the mysticism and wonder of Mothra would be super awesome too.