Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I guess I should grab her book, I've heard very good things about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

business hammocks posted:

The issue with both Frost and Nagle is partially that they’re both academics who aren’t used to having their arguments misrepresented or discussed in reductive terms by people they see as on their side, and they are genuinely hurt and offended when people treat them uncharitably. It is kind of lovely to have twitter teens posting pictures of my mom’s house to prove that I’m too bourgeois and an enemy of the people, but also none of that matters and there are plenty of people getting endless daily death threats and unspeakable harassment from actual nazis, so get some perspective Amber and Nagle.

I don't know if minimizing the amount of online stalking is a fair thing to do. Amber deleted her twitter but these people will find her personal facebook page just to continue to harass her. Just because she doesn't make a big stink out of it doesn't make it okay to go full "it's about ethics in journalism" on her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nagle's book loving rules because it came out right during the real swell of GG and all when we were all kinda unsure how deep it was gonna take root so her stance of 'if you think about it Tumblr telling people they have privilege radicalized many people' wasn't too controversial, then actual nazis just overtly came back and basically run the right in this country proudly and oh no it turns out those guys always just hated everyone not them and her book became almost adorably dated.

"Both Reddit and Tumblr have a hand in this polarized environment"

*nazis march in the streets shouting "THE JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" and "BLOOD AND SOIL" and the president says they were actually good guys and maybe that gal deserved to be hit by a car, Tumblr continues to be a completely insular social circle where half the bad poo poo is either alt-right trolls faking it or literal children being dumb*

"Well poo poo."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sexpig by night posted:

her district is like +50 Dem last election and her opponent is a weird family court dad's rights loser no one knows exists, she's p. secure

I know it's nice to hear this, but don't let a perceived easy victory keep you at home. Enough people complacent that their candidate will win without their vote is how upsets happen. Politics are won by slim margins because of this. Go for the overwhelming victory and crush your enemies harder than Germany crushed Brazil at the last world cup.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 9, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's nice to hear this, but don't let a perceived easy victory keep you at home. Enough people complacent that their candidate will win without their vote is how upsets happen.

oh yea if you're in her district absolutely go vote for her, just saying us outsiders probably shouldn't bite our nails too hard when there are other races to give us stress ulcers already.

For sure never assume you're gonna win in politics.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I live in a state that has mail in ballots for all elections, so I have literally no excuse. It not being a thing across the country is what 100% convinced me that voting suppression is real.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You need look no further than "Important votes aren't a national holiday/gimme day off" to see that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

Nagle's book loving rules because it came out right during the real swell of GG and all when we were all kinda unsure how deep it was gonna take root so her stance of 'if you think about it Tumblr telling people they have privilege radicalized many people' wasn't too controversial, then actual nazis just overtly came back and basically run the right in this country proudly and oh no it turns out those guys always just hated everyone not them and her book became almost adorably dated.

*nazis march in the streets shouting "THE JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" and "BLOOD AND SOIL" and the president says they were actually good guys and maybe that gal deserved to be hit by a car, Tumblr continues to be a completely insular social circle where half the bad poo poo is either alt-right trolls faking it or literal children being dumb*

"Well poo poo."

I think she had a point to an extent about how if you let weird fringe people on tumblr and such be the loudest voices it hurts the social left a bit. she was never saying, "Weird loud tumblr types are on the same scale as nazi." its more "if they are the loudist ones, people will think they = the left instead of fringe minority. i mean yeah, no poo poo. now its obvious that tumblr is nothing and reddit was worse.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

You need look no further than "Important votes aren't a national holiday/gimme day off" to see that.

Yes exactly, for an embarassingly long time I'd thought that people complaining about this were stupid because "Just mail in your ballots dummies" :downs:

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

sexpig by night posted:

oh yea if you're in her district absolutely go vote for her, just saying us outsiders probably shouldn't bite our nails too hard when there are other races to give us stress ulcers already.

For sure never assume you're gonna win in politics.

Good thing I'm moving up to her district in August, so I'm definitely going to cast my ballot for her in November!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think she had a point to an extent about how if you let weird fringe people on tumblr and such be the loudest voices it hurts the social left a bit. she was never saying, "Weird loud tumblr types are on the same scale as nazi." its more "if they are the loudist ones, people will think they = the left instead of fringe minority. i mean yeah, no poo poo. now its obvious that tumblr is nothing and reddit was worse.

The problem has always been that included in her categorization of "weird fringe people" are campus protesters and similar "Political Correctness" bogeymen.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also she's pretty much Ross Douhat if he had a bit more political savvy. The only reason people on the left actually gave her an actual read was due to the podcasts' endorsements and for being pals with the right folk, otherwise she'd be easily eaten by the Wife With a Purpose and Dipshits Who Shoot Fireworks at Migrant Boats blob.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

"Well poo poo."

The book analyzes internet rhetoric 2012-2016 in terms of a brutal antihuman irony that predates the alt-right. It does not make the claim that tumblr radicalized people into becoming nazis, but that the neoliberal consensus of the Obama years made it seem like the only way to reject the status quo was by going nazi and that being on the left meant seeing the status quo as basically sound. Nagle the person turned out to be a disappointment, but the book accurately predicts a number of things, including the open embrace of fascism by kids who hadn’t yet solidified into a nazi bloc and the almost total withering away of “alt-light” figures like Milo Yiannopolis for want of offering a comprehensive political program.

I don’t see Nagle equivocate at any point in the book.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't know if minimizing the amount of online stalking is a fair thing to do. Amber deleted her twitter but these people will find her personal facebook page just to continue to harass her. Just because she doesn't make a big stink out of it doesn't make it okay to go full "it's about ethics in journalism" on her.

I haven’t heard her respond to anything other than unfair or dishonest criticism, which is qualitatively different from harassment, but I would never want to excuse or dismiss harassment and she certainly doesn’t deserve to be treated that way.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kunster posted:

Also she's pretty much Ross Douhat if he had a bit more political savvy. The only reason people on the left actually gave her an actual read was due to the podcasts' endorsements and for being pals with the right folk, otherwise she'd be easily eaten by the Wife With a Purpose and Dipshits Who Shoot Fireworks at Migrant Boats blob.

This is dumb on so many levels, the only reason she has "pals" on the left because of her research.

People online who react to her mild criticism of identity politics act as if she's a crypto fascist kind of prove her point. Instead of justifying why there political strategy is above reproach they retreat into name calling because coalition building isn't interesting to them.

CYBEReris posted:

The problem has always been that included in her categorization of "weird fringe people" are campus protesters and similar "Political Correctness" bogeymen.

I don't think that take is controversial. Campus protests are great for affirming your personal beliefs but they don't accomplish what people think they do. Campus political orgs are a mixed bag but they are hindered by being removed from the community's interests. If your a college kid and want to get involved in racial justice, lgbt rights, mental health, or whatever then join an org off campus.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I haven’t heard her respond to anything other than unfair or dishonest criticism, which is qualitatively different from harassment, but I would never want to excuse or dismiss harassment and she certainly doesn’t deserve to be treated that way.

The people who hate her are obsessed. They have tried to get her fired or kicked out of the DSA multiple times, they even had a planned medicare for all canvassing event canceled just because Amber was involved.

This isn't a fair debate, it's just harassment.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kind of regretting my role in this derail so here's a car review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fxZ1OjVuo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Except there are people out there that genuinely believe crazy people on tumblr are equivalent to bigots and white supremacists and even mention them when they try to do their pathetic little centrist dance "oh i don't like the crazies on the left and right" as if some person on tumblr is going to have the same damaging effect upon society as a literal neo-nazi. One has aspirations of taking over society and would probably put me and a great deal of others into camps to die if they got their way and the other posts weird poo poo about cartoon shows

even people on this forum do this, the chudds will whine and bitch about the "annoying leftists" but never seem to have much time for putting in even a 1/5th of the energy into pointing out the harmful poo poo being spread from the center and right

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 9, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It also doesn't really address that the alt-right has a pipeline in place for this stuff, they don't just "encounter it in the wild" or anything. Whole micro-communities form around cringe cultures that actively search out the most amusing or fringe elements of their political enemies that they can while unironically representing themselves with MLP, hentai, furry, etc. identity symbols. When they become particularly caustic you get places like KF that brutally harass their targets and try to push them into suicide.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hell, we literally had a reveal last year that Milo and a few other nefarious powerful figures were on a user group that shared their feedback together with mainstream journalists going back several years, including using Cringe Channels to go after specific targets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Except there are people out there that genuinely believe crazy people on tumblr are equivalent to bigots and white supremacists and even mention them when they try to do their pathetic little centrist dance "oh i don't like the crazies on the left and right" as if some person on tumblr is going to have the same damaging effect upon society as a literal neo-nazi. One has aspirations of taking over society and would probably put me and a great deal of others into camps to die if they got their way and the other posts weird poo poo about cartoon shows

even people on this forum do this, the chudds will whine and bitch about the "annoying leftists" but never seem to have much time for putting in even a 1/5th of the energy into pointing out the harmful poo poo being spread from the center and right

Agreed and those people are morons for making that false equivalency.

CYBEReris posted:

It also doesn't really address that the alt-right has a pipeline in place for this stuff, they don't just "encounter it in the wild" or anything. Whole micro-communities form around cringe cultures that actively search out the most amusing or fringe elements of their political enemies that they can while unironically representing themselves with MLP, hentai, furry, etc. identity symbols. When they become particularly caustic you get places like KF that brutally harass their targets and try to push them into suicide.

It’s because a lot of the alt right is born from troll culture. It’s all about projection and deflection. They do that poo poo so they don’t get turned on and torn down. It’s a toxic culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XI1TdauYAo

matt christman puts it better. also nagal is there. they hate themselves because they are lovely losers, so they punch down even more. deep down none of the ideology matters much. its a outlit for their lovely destructive outputs because they hate everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEDHftSJFgs

another good chapo video about the Charlottesville nazis.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 9, 2018

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Oh and important not to forget the editorializing, either. "SJW Feminist Snaps in Public" while the context of the woman being followed around for ages by a jeering mob issuing catcalls and death threats is conveniently left out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kunster posted:

Using Cringe Channels to go after specific targets.

That's why I hate this garbage so much and ~cringe humor~ in general, "EPIK CRINGE TRIGGURED COMPILATION #104821367" and it's like just some transperson pissed off about neo-nazis, wow so embarassing ha ha ecks dee they think they're people right. It's also the smokescreen people used to stalk and mentally torture Chris-chan back when, it being used that way's not some new thing at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

That's why I hate this garbage so much and ~cringe humor~ in general, "EPIK CRINGE TRIGGURED COMPILATION #104821367" and it's like just some transperson pissed off about neo-nazis, wow so embarassing ha ha ecks dee they think they're people right. It's also the smokescreen people used to stalk and mentally torture Chris-chan back when, it being used that way's not some new thing at all.

well yeah. alot of the online alt right types came out of the chris chan type troll groups and such. from what i have seen they have the same toxic group mentality. as a dumb kid who hung out on lovely IRC chat groups when i was teenager, i saw that poo poo incubate first hand. irony poisoning is hosed up to watch first hand. my guess is its the same type of environment, where you have to be "on" constantly and you gently caress up or show weakness or some poo poo. your the new target. it happend to me. that toxic poo poo loving destroys your self worth and it took me a couple years to get my head back in the right place. I can only imagine how much worse it is not that irony is dead.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 9, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah. alot of the online alt right types came out of the chris chan type troll groups and such. from what i have seen they have the same toxic group mentality. as a dumb kid who hung out on lovely IRC chat groups when i was teenager, i saw that poo poo incubate first hand. irony poisoning is hosed up to watch first hand. my guess is its the same type of environment, where you have to be "on" constantly and you gently caress up or show weakness or some poo poo. your the new target. it happend to me. that toxic poo poo loving destroys your self worth and it took me a couple years to get my head back in the right place. I can only imagine how much worse it is not that irony is dead.

It’s telling how so many of them immediately jumped back into gamergate mode once people started swinging back at the nazi marches. They just shift around to any position that lets them ignore their own pain by hurting others. It’s actually really troubling that the 4chan crowd has shifted around to venerating school shooters, several of which have come from their ranks in the last year.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

It’s telling how so many of them immediately jumped back into gamergate mode once people started swinging back at the nazi marches. They just shift around to any position that lets them ignore their own pain by hurting others. It’s actually really troubling that the 4chan crowd has shifted around to venerating school shooters, several of which have come from their ranks in the last year.
yeah. most of these dudes "thankfully" are bullshiters and talkers. classic bullies who double down because "gently caress you dad" type poo poo. for many of them, they will never go beyond that outside emotionally torturing people, the even more broken ones , who knows.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 9, 2018

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I mean I already can't think of anything cringier than being one of these cringe people because they literally have no friends, which is kind of an accomplishment in this whizzbang world of instant communication

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thompsons posted:

I mean I already can't think of anything cringier than being one of these cringe people because they literally have no friends, which is kind of an accomplishment in this whizzbang world of instant communication

its because they hate each other and everyone else.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Can you shift around to something that you've always done

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well I have a, hopefully, rather giant callus under my middle finger, palm side. Presumably from the forklift driving. It doesn't hurt or anything but man is it loving weird to brush against the knob on the forklift, or picking up boxes.

Hopefully its a callus and not that other thing that you should really really worry about having an internal, painless lump for.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm sorry Leal, it's the dreaded middle finger cancer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I'm sorry Leal, it's the dreaded middle finger cancer.

Looks like the customers get the last laugh from me flipping them off behind their backs

OH GOD DAMMIT THIS ISN'T THE RETAIL JOB THREAD

im fuckin stupid

that doug walker guy sure is bad huh guys

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 9, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Leal posted:

Looks like the customers get the last laugh from me flipping them off behind their backs

OH GOD DAMMIT THIS ISN'T THE RETAIL JOB THREAD

Where's that thread at? I get good stories working Guest Services at Legoland near daily.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Roth posted:

Where's that thread at? I get good stories working Guest Services at Legoland near daily.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3323091

Come suffer with us :unsmigghh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

that doug walker guy sure is bad huh guys

yeah, i guess. I am kinda amused/sadded that alot of the rumors i heard from those old chan posts, is probably true. that he is just a egotistical loser who got lucky with a bit and sucks at everything else and now is trapped doing that bit forever while everyone else has moved on the better(mostly) work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Edit: posted on other thread.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 9, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hell yeah

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i guess. I am kinda amused/sadded that alot of the rumors i heard from those old chan posts, is probably true. that he is just a egotistical loser who got lucky with a bit and sucks at everything else and now is trapped doing that bit forever while everyone else has moved on the better(mostly) work.

He’s a lazy hack and a bad person. I can’t get over it. It’s just so galling when someone is both at once. Like whenever I see that photo of Rob Liefeld eating ribs, I think, “at least he’s very earnest and comes to work on time and excited every day.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

He’s a lazy hack and a bad person. I can’t get over it. It’s just so galling when someone is both at once. Like whenever I see that photo of Rob Liefeld eating ribs, I think, “at least he’s very earnest and comes to work on time and excited every day.”

isnt Liefeld like a decent dude, yeah his art is well, his art but i have never heard anything actually bad about him.

I never read the full autopsy of how bad walker was. i just heard he was lovely writer and a dickhead who looked the other way when poo poo went south. I kinda grew out of his poo poo and moved on to we hate movies and then RLM.

like the rumors i remember are ellis and jones were cool and doug was whiny shithead who went off about poo poo and linkara was weirdo who would get uber prudish about poo poo and was just socialy akward in a annoying way.

that and jew wario ended up being a pedo and everyone covered him for year apparently.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt Liefeld like a decent dude, yeah his art is well, his art but i have never heard anything actually bad about him.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo god no

Even if you're not super into comic books, you should probably check out the SFDebris series on the rise and fall of the comic empire because A. it's really good and B. it shows just what kind of horrible shitheel Liefield is. Among a bunch of other people.

Long story short for the relevant bits though, conning Kirby's grieving widow, throwing hissy fits over characters he wrote bits for but didn't own later coming out as gay, embezzling, and not doing work he was paid to do. Among other things.