Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This gif breakdown of all the damage DC did to Stipe is really good. In like the 3rd gif you see him trying to set up the finish even earlier in the fight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/8x71sk/spoiler_main_event_winner_did_an_insane_amount_of/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

We Need To Talk About Keven. Just Keven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sklWAl7qk

lmao never saw that before

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Matt Lindland posted:

My primary concern was load potency, Kimbo305.

How did you get on with this? I found ZMA helped the most in this area.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Yeah Zma is good. Or if you don’t wanna buy that just zinc seems to do most of the heavy lifting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gaining even a miniscule advantage at the very top level of a sport is an extreme effort. Steroids make that effort even slightly less extreme and that's why they're a huge advantage.

Regular Joe is never going to outperform an ungodly athlete like Jon Jones even if you turned him into a Vitoresque steroid elemental, but if steroids turned Jon Jones the world beater into Jon Jones the world beater+1, then it's hard to say what his true level actually was, even if that true level was one where he'd still plaster everyone with consummate ease.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What if it turned out the steroids didn't help but the coke did

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Le Saboteur posted:

This gif breakdown of all the damage DC did to Stipe is really good. In like the 3rd gif you see him trying to set up the finish even earlier in the fight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/8x71sk/spoiler_main_event_winner_did_an_insane_amount_of/

This is super dope and really shows how sharp DC is on the feet and in gameplanning. It probably helped that Stipe has been in some wars so there is plenty of tape to figure out his bad habits.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What if it turned out the steroids didn't help but the coke did

It would still be a PED pop? I mean, using trucker meth on a cut to make weight still pops, IIRC.

Edit:

Le Saboteur posted:

Man, those jabs just keep landing and landing hard.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 9, 2018

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

spb posted:

Steroids give you the body of a woman with the penis and mind of a man

I am on these drugs; they are in no way performance enhancing

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

henkman posted:

Yeah but my understanding is that they don't just pick a guy out of the audience, pump him full of steroids and tell him to go to town

They got this all screwed up, kid. My knuckles actually say "Drug Me"

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, Stipe's face was already looking pretty swollen with around 90 seconds left to go in the round.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

There's actually only one of those you could realistically call a jab, the rest are crosses and are almost unanimously considered power punches.

If it's the hand nearest, it's a jab.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's actually only one of those you could realistically call a jab, the rest are crosses and are almost unanimously considered power punches.

I feel like at least the first four gifs show a leading hand jab but I aint a boxer

EDIT:

I love this punch if only because I cannot remember the last time someone limp wristed a jab around guard and then tightened it up before it hit https://gfycat.com/PolishedCleanFirefly

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 9, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ That's a hook DC is throwing because his jab was so effective. Defending straight punches leaves you open for looping ones. I wish more fighters would do this. The Diaz bros and Whittaker are good at it.

He's jabbing and hooking off the jab to set up his right hand. He landed all of them quite a few times.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 9, 2018

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Weren't there good posters sometimes in this subforum once? Where did they go and where do I read their comments instead of these?

I was just looking at the UFC schedule and I see "Shogun vs. Smith" is the headliner for an upcoming event. I don't know who this Smith fellow is, but I approve. I see Smith has achieved headlining status by securing victories over the corpses of Hector Lombard and Rashad Evans. What a cool sport.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

the good posters are gone, like lamentable dustmen in the wind

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Weren't there good posters sometimes in this subforum once? Where did they go and where do I read their comments instead of these?

I was just looking at the UFC schedule and I see "Shogun vs. Smith" is the headliner for an upcoming event. I don't know who this Smith fellow is, but I approve. I see Smith has achieved headlining status by securing victories over the corpses of Hector Lombard and Rashad Evans. What a cool sport.

Sincerity was swapped out for ironic shitposting but there are still good ones around tbh

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

?
jab: https://gfycat.com/ParallelExhaustedErne
jab: https://gfycat.com/OrnateSpryCattle
jab: https://gfycat.com/SoggyGraveGrassspider (Stipe got no credit from the Redditor for answering effectively)
jab after stance switch on break: https://gfycat.com/BronzeMassiveLeafbird
jab at 36s: https://gfycat.com/WaterloggedScornfulGrub

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Shogun was supposed to fight Volkan Oezdemir but he can’t leave the country on account of a pending felony assault charge. So Anthony Smith gets his shot.

Also the website is dying and there’s hardly anybody left here.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i thought it was fuckin weird that ngannou didnt do poo poo bc as soon as he threw like 2-3 quick jabs with that huge reach in the second or third round or whatever they landed with ease, then he quit doing it again immediately

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Remember when you spent every day posting in the hearthstone thread begging people to watch you stream but then gave up because you couldn't draw more than one or two viewers at a time because you are even less interesting in real life than your gimmick is on here

Fuckin' lol at you acting like you are above it all constantly when you begged people to watch you stream a card game and couldn't get anyone to give a poo poo

wow. uncalled for

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Twitter

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

i thought it was fuckin weird that ngannou didnt do poo poo bc as soon as he threw like 2-3 quick jabs with that huge reach in the second or third round or whatever they landed with ease, then he quit doing it again immediately

seems to me like he went too far the other way from shooting his load in round 1 of the stipe fight

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

The mental game is extremely important, and that is a great example of losing your confidence after a big loss.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I.N.R.I posted:

seems to me like he went too far the other way from shooting his load in round 1 of the stipe fight

I agree. He learned the right lesson, he just learned it too much.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

i thought so too but then he didnt start throwin like crazy in the last half of the 3rd round or somethin

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

The mental game is extremely important, and that is a great example of losing your confidence after a big loss.

yeah totally agree, but its just weird to me bc its not like stipe hurt him really bad or totally destroyed him for 25 minutes. clear win for sure and he took some punishment but wtf

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, it wasn't like he got a really bad KO, though who knows, maybe his brain got rocked. But he probably went in thinking he had a very real shot of destroying Stipe, and not living up to that was probably extremely hard to square in his mind.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lewis does have huge power so i can appreciate its pretty scary and dangerous to just start winging at him for 2 and a half minutes at the end if you were conserving energy. i think it would be good for francis to bring in some serious heavyweight boxers/kickboxers to beat him up a bit and really wear him out in sparring so he gets comfortable with it

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, it wasn't like he got a really bad KO, though who knows, maybe his brain got rocked. But he probably went in thinking he had a very real shot of destroying Stipe, and not living up to that was probably extremely hard to square in his mind.

yeah i think youre right on. theres prob a lot of truth to what dana said

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really want Ngannou to pull back around though. He’s great for the division and UFC in general.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think he will, hes still pretty young(48 years old) and doesnt have a lot of experience at the highest level

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really want Ngannou to pull back around though. He’s great for the division and UFC in general.

After the Stipe fight, I was like, is Ngannou gonna change camps?

He did, but not sure how much direction he got.
https://www.flocombat.com/articles/6216950-ufc-226-francis-ngannou-ready-to-start-new-chapter-vs-derrick-lewis
Reads like he didn't ask for a ton of structure and they didn't push much on him.

I want him to get over it, but definitely wonder if it can be done at UFC level.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

nobody watches ufc any more for the exact reasons you noted

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Lone Goat posted:

nobody watches ufc any more for the exact reasons you noted

Well, asking that question still brought out some familiar avatars. It's good to see not everyone is dead.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DC has definitively proven that you are a better fighter when you don't have to worry about cutting weight

okay now explain his LHW reign
and also the reign of every other champion in the sport except maybe Frankie Edgar

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlBCsqRAkAs/

francisngannou posted:

I am not proud of my last performance. I have carried my fear from the last fight to this one. I completely understand the frustration & anger that it has caused to my fans, coaches, teammates, family and friends and I am truly sorry for that. I won't let everyone down again. All I can do now is prove myself and make you proud again. #UFC226

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

okay now explain his LHW reign
and also the reign of every other champion in the sport except maybe Frankie Edgar

fraud champions who never fought a fat dude

mewse
May 2, 2006

Terror is the best base for mma

e: also lol that the only picture he could find was one of him whiffing a punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Winston Duke from Black Panther is gonna play Kimbo in the Kimbo film "Backyard Legend"

• Locked thread