Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Bond in his retirement years, totally broken as a person. Spends his days balls deep in whatever he can find, mainlining every drug ever invented.

Spends his nights shaking in a corner of his room, pointing an illegal gun at the door while an endless parade of the ghosts of his past victims scream his crimes into the ether. Waiting for organisations which no longer exist to send assassins who will never come.
A twitchy, pockmarked Q bursts into his hotel room to give him a new device to rectally administer heroin while he sleeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They keep trying to do that “bond retires a bitter and broken man” plot in the movies, but then the queen is in danger or some poo poo and he’s magically better in ten minutes

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

A twitchy, pockmarked Q bursts into his hotel room to give him a new device to rectally administer heroin while he sleeps.

I was just reading in the Star Trek thread before I came here. So, when I read this post, my main question was, "To whom is Q giving this inter-butt-ular heroin delivery system, and does whoever he's giving it to even want it? Can it be removed without reappearing? Does it have John de Lancie's face on any part of it? Does that part talk? Picard! It's Picard, isn't it!"

Then I remembered where I was: the Venture Bros. thread. And Q is from James Bond... which everyone is talking about right now.

Geez. It's like I'm channeling dead crazy people.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

as with all gadgets, bond uses it to kill a man instead

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

tarlibone posted:

I was just reading in the Star Trek thread before I came here. So, when I read this post, my main question was, "To whom is Q giving this inter-butt-ular heroin delivery system, and does whoever he's giving it to even want it? Can it be removed without reappearing? Does it have John de Lancie's face on any part of it? Does that part talk? Picard! It's Picard, isn't it!"

Then I remembered where I was: the Venture Bros. thread. And Q is from James Bond... which everyone is talking about right now.

Do you think it's a cry for help?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

tarlibone posted:

This but also I made the QAnon thread and now I never know what I'm reading.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Wait... you guys are nazis! Seems to have gotten more relevant.
https://youtu.be/vspxFHqQh4Y

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, Doctor Quest is the only one of the Quest family who hasn't shown up at some point. Possibly also Jessie, which makes Race's last words pretty hosed up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
You have eight months to take that dog und to make a beautiful, pink, sweet baby HitLER!! ... (drops back to his inside voice)

I love the random dynamics of the head Nazi's tone of voice. Also, "Herr Doktor" literally means "Mr. Doctor." Not even these guys are going to just call him "doctor."

FYI: I'm not a comic book guy, so I had no clue what the CGC thing in the corner was, or why the value started to go up with each subsequent appearance on screen. I didn't figure it out until the scene where the value begins to visibly decrease as Hank starts thumbing through the pages. That made me laugh so hard that I cried a little.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 9, 2018

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
My original viewing of that episode was the airing where they played the first half twice. I remembered being so confused and unable to spot any changes between the two.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Comrade Quack posted:

Wait... you guys are nazis! Seems to have gotten more relevant.
https://youtu.be/vspxFHqQh4Y

I've said 'great some loving master race' more times in the last couple years than I ever thought possible

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

Also, "Herr Doktor" literally means "Mr. Doctor."

It's also a totally normal form of address in Germany.

quote:

Unlike the English-language usage, Doktor may be repeated for double doctorates (Doktor Doktor). It can also be combined with other honorifics (Herr Doktor or Frau Doktor Doktor). In oral address, doubling the doctorates only appears in very formal occasions (beginning of speeches, introducing a person etc.)

revolther
May 27, 2008

Comrade Quack posted:

My original viewing of that episode was the airing where they played the first half twice. I remembered being so confused and unable to spot any changes between the two.
This was great given the episode's out of sequence nature it was a literal 15 minute mind gently caress like, "what am I missing?"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yeah they call the movie's director in Shadow of the Vampire herr doktor.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Well, crap. I thought it was much cooler than it actually was.

Booooo, German language. Boooooooo! Mark Twain was right about you.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My heart jumped into my chest yesterday when I got an email notification that a book I preordered was on its way. Well turns out it was only some other dumb book I wanted! :mad:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just checked and Amazon is telling me they expect the book to ship on the 31st now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I just checked and Amazon is telling me they expect the book to ship on the 31st now.

loving aaaarhg!!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That's the 2031st.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just finished my rewatch. Fantastic show of course, but the best surprise was that I didn't even realize I hadn't seen season 6! I just watched a whole new season of the Blue Morpho, and it totally kicked rear end! I love this drat show, bring on season 7!

Thought the first few seasons are totally dated now, especially with the whole "gay!" thing they do a lot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Thought the first few seasons are totally dated now, especially with the whole "gay!" thing they do a lot

This continues into season 4, with Monarch using it a few times (which I guess makes sense for his character) and Pete at least once. Reaaally stuck out when showing episodes to a (gay) friend recently.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The pilot and seasons 1 and 2 feel like set up for the show to properly begin in season 3 now.

Fun set up though.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RandallODim posted:

as with all gadgets, bond uses it to kill a man instead

Take this pen. You never know when you might need a pen. Or is it?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Take this pen. You never know when you might need a pen. Or is it?

(takes cigarettes) These I can use! ... Do they do anything stupid?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The early episodes are full of things that are no longer ok. Lots of "gay" and "retarded" as a pejorative. When Dean says "dad? black guy" in the Brisby land episode it seems kind of bad.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cojawfee posted:

The early episodes are full of things that are no longer ok. Lots of "gay" and "retarded" as a pejorative. When Dean says "dad? black guy" in the Brisby land episode it seems kind of bad.

I actually kind of find it a fascinating when you think about how long the show has been on the air or in development. The first season has those lines and they are certainly not good, but where mainstay comments in that era of nerd culture (so to speak). Move forward to the later seasons where Shoreleave is one of the best characters and his relationship with The Alchemist is legitimately endearing to me as a gay man. I always took as the writers' of the show maturing as well as the culture that surrounds it.

It is one of the more interesting parts of this show when you look at the context of just how long it has been on air and how it evolved. It is not perfect though.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just because he's black doesn't mean he has the shining.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
No one in the thread has mentioned it so I will: adultswim.com streams Venture Bros 24/7 on their website and app. If you don't mind not picking the episode, you can just watch the whole thing straight through and loop it over again.

http://www.adultswim.com/streams/the-venture-bros

right now:
SCUBA SCUBA SCUBA SCUBA

Sounds funny

SCUBA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woah, nice!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
IT'S POWERED BY A FORSAKEN CHILD?!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what things do you want to see come up this season, personally I'd love to see how Venturestein and Abomi-Nation are doing, as he's currently the most successful of Rusty's "sons"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

obligatory check in with Kim. also if hank knocked up nikki

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd like to see if Action Johnny is still alive.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
All I wanted was Dr. Orpheus. And I get him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also would be good to see more of their own version of Spiderman again.

Oh and Brickfrog.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Real answer, I'd love something like O.R.B. again. Something diving way back into the insanity that created the current world. We've had a good dive into the fact that Jonas Sr. was sadistic and cruel and that the Guild was kind of loving stupid, but just some kind of vignette of what super scientist/villany was like in the late 1800s would be interesting.

then again I have no idea what would actually be good so gently caress it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

So what things do you want to see come up this season, personally I'd love to see how Venturestein and Abomi-Nation are doing, as he's currently the most successful of Rusty's "sons"

Definitely not something I want. I think season 6 did a really good job of looking forward and not backward, which they've occasionally got really tied up in at points. I want to see them keep moving forward and keep things fresh and new.

...that and more Orpheus/Triad.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’d like more Jonas Sr old Team Venture flashbacks. Those are always good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I got Dr.O and I'm very happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Cacafuego posted:

I’d like more Jonas Sr old Team Venture flashbacks. Those are always good.

Maybe a flashback where they learn why Col. Lloyd Venture chose the location of his millinery (now the Ventech Industries site)...and what treasures may yet be found there.