Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

AzraelNewtype posted:

I guess I've mostly been getting bad luck then, because I rarely even see all three in a single run. Usually it's one of the block+ types or the other, and if Body Slam appears it's so early that I don't trust it to be worth taking due to lack of strong blocks. Random numbers gonna random.

Yeah body slam is always worth it as a one off. Upgraded, throwing out a defend its a 5 damage 0 cost card which is OK.. and if you throw out a defend and a strug it off it's a 13 damage amazing card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think with Ironclad in general it pays to be selective when adding attacks to your deck (outside of aggressive decks where you can and want to kill everything asap). And to value strong blocking cards like True Grit+/Feel No Pain appropriately. It's easy to mess up your offense/defense ratio thanks to the relative scarcity of defense cards compared to Silent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Body Slam is a very good card...as long as you can upgrade it real fast and/or you have a deck that's already stacking a lot of block real fast. I wouldn't take it early on Act 1.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I think body slam is worth picking up early and upgrading in basically every type of deck you can have for ironclad. There aren't many good 0-cost attacks for him to pick, and even if you don't end up getting a strong block deck but DO end up getting str scaling (demon form or upgraded limit break + a starter), it ends up working out fine.

It's hard to regret a single body slam+.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I took like 6 months off and wasn't around when Defect dropped but this duder is dope:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Even unupgraded with two defends body slam is 10 attack and 10 block for 3 energy, which is pretty good early. And unlike dash it scales really well the whole game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Body Slam (especially once upgraded) is actually fine with no synergy as long as you maintain a good number of defensive cards in your deck. Early on you're often making the choice between dealing damage and defending your face - Body Slam lets you do both.

I think in general you should be on the lookout for cards like that - that are decent with no synergy but with a very high upside in the right deck, and which can help inform future drafting decisions. Sword Boomerang is another good Ironclad example. If you insist on already having the perfect deck before you take any synergy cards you'll never put anything together.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

pyromance posted:

I think body slam is worth picking up early and upgrading in basically every type of deck you can have for ironclad. There aren't many good 0-cost attacks for him to pick, and even if you don't end up getting a strong block deck but DO end up getting str scaling (demon form or upgraded limit break + a starter), it ends up working out fine.

It's hard to regret a single body slam+.

Eh, every time I decide to pick one early I feel like it's at the expense of a better early-game card, and if I don't get to upgrade it it's a VERY awkward attack. It's less damage per energy than just Strikes and although it's technically Dash when upgraded it doesn't have the benefits of being an attack that gives you block for Nob, for example.

It's not a bad card, it's actually super good, but it's one of those super good cards that don't help you a lot early on.

edit: although I guess a VERY early Body Slam would be a pick depending on what I was offered. I'm still taking an Uppercut over it the way I play.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Even unupgraded with two defends body slam is 10 attack and 10 block for 3 energy, which is pretty good early. And unlike dash it scales really well the whole game.

It would be better to draft basically any other 1-energy common attack than Body Slam in this instance though, since they don’t require you to draw and play two Defends that you may not actually need or want.

Not that Body Slam is a bad card, it’s a very fine card that really doesn’t need a ton of investment to be at least decently useful, but if my first draft is Body Slam and pretty much any other common attack, I’m gonna take that one.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 9, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How are you playing Ironclad that you don't want Block???

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PMush Perfect posted:

How are you playing Ironclad that you don't want Block???

:black101:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The issue isn’t that I’m not going to have good block eventually, the problem is that if I don’t have good block now and I have other upgrade priorities it makes Body Slam an unattractive choice relative to the others.

If I’m putting my early offensive chips down on Body Slam and my first elite is Gremlin Nob, welp

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gremlin Nob is a dick.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
It doesn't take that much for body slam to be better than a strike. It takes a e:power through (not wild strike, was just thinking about wound cards), shrug it off, true grit, or even a rage will even out as a strike with 2 attacks played.

Yeah, it's not a great card vs gremlin nob, but not every card you pick is going to be good in every fight. Hell, a block potion + body slam is better for gremlin nob than basically anything else you can do, though, and it's not that crazy to think you'd save a block pot for nob.

pyromance fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 9, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It doesn’t take anything for any other attack to be better than a Strike. Twin Strike does 10 damage by itself.

There’s a lot riding on neatly winning the early elite fights, so if it’s going to be a detriment to draw against Nob, then no, I don’t want it.

It’s a common card anyway, I can just take it later.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Dias posted:

edit: although I guess a VERY early Body Slam would be a pick depending on what I was offered. I'm still taking an Uppercut over it the way I play.

I am not high on uppercut at all, but especially not early game. It's like a worse clothesline or bash, and working off 3 energy, you can't even really get value off the vuln until you upgrade it. It feels like I need to upgrade it to get any value out of it in a1, when there will likely already be better, higher priority upgrade targets.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Ryoko and I are kinda approaching this from the same angle. In Act 1, I need ways to kill stuff NOW. Ironclad has a number of cards that do that better than Body Slam or that have more utility NOW. Plus, a lot of them also scale better with Strength and Vulnerable because they're multi-hitting.

pyromance posted:

I am not high on uppercut at all, but especially not early game. It's like a worse clothesline or bash, and working off 3 energy, you can't even really get value off the vuln until you upgrade it. It feels like I need to upgrade it to get any value out of it in a1, when there will likely already be better, higher priority upgrade targets.

I was thinking Clothesline, but I'll probably still take Uppercut if I have to upgrade it anyway.

edit: to wit, I started an Ironclad run where I got offered Body Slam in pretty good circumstances (late Act 1, a Shrug it Off and a Power Through in my deck, a fire right in front of me). It was pitted against a Flex and a Rampage, so it felt like the better choice. That's kinda when I'd draft the card in A1, I already had Clothesline, Carnage and good blocks, so it's all upside, really...

... and then Hexaghost killed me with like, 5 HP left. Can't blame it on the card, but I did fall into the Power Through (20 damage for FREE?) trap and got hosed on the draw on its Inferno turn. Wah wah.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 9, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

In the first act there are plenty of situations where that unupgraded body slam is either detrimental or neutral, eg: turns where you want to spend all your energy on attacks (nob or any turn where you don't need to block), turns where you only need to spend one energy on blocking, and turns where you want as much defense as possible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My follow-up Ironclad run went a lot better. That Thunderclap could've been a Body Slam. See, Body Slam, terrible card, that pick won me the run, not the fact I lucked into Rupture Brutality on the FIRST PICK. Also two Offerings. Also Demon Form.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One thing I appreciate about upgraded Body Slam is that at zero cost, it still gets attack power from accumulated Strength and feeds into Kunai/Shuriken, so it's almost never a pure dead draw.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't think I've ever taken Body Slam willingly, I'm very much in favor of the blockless deck.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Toshimo posted:

I don't think I've ever taken Body Slam willingly, I'm very much in favor of the blockless deck.

Who are you and at what ascension level? It's more fun to do damage than win for some folk (like me).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ILL Machina posted:

Who are you and at what ascension level? It's more fun to do damage than win for some folk (like me).

As shown, I am Toshimo the Ironclad on Ascension 15. Does that work for you?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like blocks, I just like damage racing bosses better. See Double Sunder Echo Form Defect decks.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I've enjoyed todays daily as I've managed to make runic pyramid + 3 innate curses work with Storm of Steel :V

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Toshimo posted:

As shown, I am Toshimo the Ironclad on Ascension 15. Does that work for you?

What the Christ. How do you deal with Time Eater?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Judicious use of potions probably.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can see Donu/Deca in the background, so the answer is "he doesn't." :haw:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They should make Donu and Deca the fourth class. Together. :thunk:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

A dual hero class sounds pretty cool. Two hp bars, some cards do things from both, some just from one or the other, bonuses for doing things together or when one is guardian our something.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Man, I cannot seem to win with The Defect to save my life. I had a pretty easy time with Ironclad and Silent, grabbing my first win after a run or two with each of them. With The Defect I either build a junk-rear end deck/relic set, or die twice to the Awakened because I'm running a power deck that has too many powers, or I just brainfart against an enemy with thorns and use a multi-hit move to finish it (and me) off :(

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

aw sheeeeit you can do it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
defect probably has the strongest deck in the game at the moment. keep trying!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Finally won as the silent, what should I know about the next dude?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

lmao.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gyshall posted:

Finally won as the silent, what should I know about the next dude?

its honestly hard to go too awry w their deck. energy relics are kinda optional if you have the right cards. go hog wild

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Echo Form is a ridiculous card, Echo Form plus Focus generators is amazing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Echo Form's downside is also kinda hilarious. "You need to use this now!" says the card. "Well, if you insist," says the player, as he forgets next turn that he had Echo Form on and uses Consume.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are also more new relics in the beta branch.

Ring of the Serpent -- boss relic, Silent only: Replaces Ring of the Snake. At the start of each turn, draw +1 card.

Frozen Core -- boss relic, Defect only: Replaces Cracked Core. At the end of each turn, if any of your orb slots are empty, channel 1 Frost.

Hovering Kite -- boss relic, Silent only: +1 Energy per turn. At the start of each turn, discard 1 card.

Hand Drill -- shop relic: Whenever you break an enemy's block, apply 2 Vulnerable.

Sling of Courage -- shop relic: At the start of each elite fight, gain 2 Strength.

I picked up Ring of the Serpent and, as you might expect, it's ridiculously good. I took it over energy relics and easily sauntered to a win. Hovering Kite seems really strong with appropriate discard relics, especially since I think you get to choose your discard, so you can use it to skate around curses and such too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Man, I cannot seem to win with The Defect to save my life. I had a pretty easy time with Ironclad and Silent, grabbing my first win after a run or two with each of them. With The Defect I either build a junk-rear end deck/relic set, or die twice to the Awakened because I'm running a power deck that has too many powers, or I just brainfart against an enemy with thorns and use a multi-hit move to finish it (and me) off :(

I'm in the same boat with Defect, I almost have everything unlocked and still haven't gotten the win. I was literally one turn away on donu and deca, but died by 1 hp last night.

Defect is also the most interesting though, with all the powers and ways to get more powers.

My favorite combo though is Core Surge + Biased Cognition for 4 free focus :v: