Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yep. Because they are using the original NES resolution. Why Nintendo did not give this option is beyond comprehension to me.

Now try snes9x and be prepared to shed a tear at how beautiful it looks

You're right, it's honestly amazing how good it looks. Definitely the best way to play (S)NES games for me!

univbee posted:

Yes. What Uncle at Nintendo and others are alluding to is the "pixel perfect" mode, which is technically the wrong aspect ratio but it's exactly 1 pixel per 3DS screen pixel so it looks really good.

There's also a correct aspect ratio option but that blurs things somewhat, which is inevitable because of how the NES and SNES work.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing!

Very satisfied with my purchase of the 3DS so late in its lifecycle. Not only is there a buttload of games to play but you can hack it to play a lot of Nintendo's output from the past 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hacking my 3DS and Wii U to play GBA and GC games natively is still the coolest thing to me.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Caved in and got sx os

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it easier to do GBA injections now or is it still a hassle of having to edit files etc

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is it easier to do GBA injections now or is it still a hassle of having to edit files etc

I don't have the link on hand but someone made an injector tool that works really well. The only game that hasn't worked with it so far was Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo, and I'm not sure why.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nonviolent J posted:

Caved in and got sx os

I kinda want to, considering its pretty cheap, but really would only like to if it could be done in emuNAND so I can leave my stock switch NAND clean.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For the first time in over ten years, I'm actually, genuinely excited to play Wii games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are there any good ones? I never really got any. I was super excited for the Wii and then it kind of ended up being a wet fart. Twilight princess was fun, but probably would have been better on gamecube. Skyward Sword was ok. I rented super mario galaxy which was pretty good. Raving Rabbids was kind of fun. Every once in a while I look through those "Best Wii Games" lists in hopes of finding something I want, but I never do.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Are there any good ones? I never really got any. I was super excited for the Wii and then it kind of ended up being a wet fart. Twilight princess was fun, but probably would have been better on gamecube. Skyward Sword was ok. I rented super mario galaxy which was pretty good. Raving Rabbids was kind of fun. Every once in a while I look through those "Best Wii Games" lists in hopes of finding something I want, but I never do.

Looking back I think there are only a couple of games worth playing (Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 3), almost everything else got a port in a better system.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Donkey Kong Country Returns is awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's a few noteworthy games that never got a port like The Last Story, Excite Truck (actually a super fun racing game), MadWorld, uhhh Punch Out is great but you can download it on Wii U, Galaxy 1/2 obv, WarioWare Smooth Moves has super fun multiplayer

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I need to be able to play wii sports resort on my switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Really, I'm greatly looking forward to Zack and muthafuckin Wiki.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
MadWorld and No More Heroes 1 & 2 were really the only Wii games I owned, but I enjoyed them. Give em a try

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rufio posted:

I need to be able to play wii sports resort on my switch

100% :yeah:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MohShuvuu posted:

MadWorld and No More Heroes 1 & 2 were really the only Wii games I owned, but I enjoyed them. Give em a try

I had No More Heroes, but the video gameyness at the time just turned me off of it. I feel completely different now and would be willing to give it another try, plus the sequel.

A modded Wii and a TB hard drive are a truly wonderful combination. I rented Excite Truck a few times back in the day and always wanted to replay it.

Honestly, one of the biggest cons of the Wii were all of these experiences that didn't necessarily match the asking price, but are really good, even excellent if you have kids (which I now do).

Until I get a Switch, my Wii should do just fine.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The Wii was a massive failure because literally every light gun game wasn't ported to it.
(Wii had some underrated games, but they are probably hard to play in TYOOL 2018 because of the forced pointing and or wiggling in games)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My dad and I spent about 500 hours playing Ghost Squad. Even to this day when I come home to visit that's all he wants to do. Play Wii Sports bowling and Ghost Squad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

My dad and I spent about 500 hours playing Ghost Squad. Even to this day when I come home to visit that's all he wants to do. Play Wii Sports bowling and Ghost Squad.

Thank you for this! Adding it to my list! :toot: Any other hidden gems?

Edit: vvvvv yes! It's incredible! Super ugly but very useful.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 9, 2018

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Holy poo poo Nintendont is so good why didn't I do this earlier :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nintendont isn't meant to be used on its own. You're supposed to plug it into a loader. I just load up USB loader on my Wii and all my gamecube games are listed with the rest.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

That's the general guide that I'm using to explore.
If you're looking for light gun games, House of the Dead: Overkill is a really campy horror movie of a campaign with knock off Samuel L Jackson.
There are also the Resident Evil Chronicles games, just replace camp with what I think are alternative looks at the stories of RE1 and 2.
I haven't played them yet, but you also have Dino Strike, Dead Space Extraction, and Arcade Hits pack are the supposedly good lightgun games.
Boom Blox: Bash Party is a great party game where you flick boxes to destroy towers.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade is a 2D Vanillaware ARPG with dual stories and beautiful art.

Most of the other things I would recommend atm are known quantities (Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby Return to Dreamland, Punchout, etc)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you guys use for controllers with Nintendont

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have a super smash bros gamecube controller and an original wavebird that I just found in a box the other day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendont isn't meant to be used on its own. You're supposed to plug it into a loader. I just load up USB loader on my Wii and all my gamecube games are listed with the rest.

Ok, I thought I was doing this, but then it would just load the ugly Nintendont UI afterwards anyway, requiring me to once again select the game from the list. Any idea how I can have it just skip right to the game? The USB loader was great, but seemed pointless, and I want that not to be the case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if you're on Wii or Wii U, but on the Wii, I use USB Loader GX. There was just a setting I had to hit that enabled it to load games from Nintendont. You should be able to google whichever thing you're using to make it work.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I don't like how USB Loader GX requires my gamecube games to be set up in a particular way folder-wise while nintendont doesn't give a poo poo

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

How come if I do Nintendont through USB Loader GX it resets the entire wii when i hit the home button instead of bringing me back to the loader/nintendont/anything

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sky Crawlers is one of my favorite Team ACES games. It's so good.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Color Printer posted:

How come if I do Nintendont through USB Loader GX it resets the entire wii when i hit the home button instead of bringing me back to the loader/nintendont/anything

Might be talking out of my rear end, but it could be a side effect of reverting itself into a GameCube.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Color Printer posted:

I don’t know exactly but fun fact the Wii has no OS-level function for the home button, literally every single Wii game ever released had to code the home button function and add in Nintendo’s menu

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

BadMedic posted:

Also important: both hard drives also need their own power supplies, the WiiU's USB slots are below spec and do not provide enough voltage to run a hard drive off of.

It's really annoying actually, because my fully kitted out WiiU requires 4 power sockets and I ended up having to get it it's own power bar.

note for this if you dont want to have a shitton of extra power cables grab yourself a couple of these
https://www.amazon.com/Micro-B-Exte...s=usb+y+adapter
It lets you run power to an external drive on the wii u without plugging it into external power you just use 2 usb ports instead. Works like a charm.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

azurite posted:

Might be talking out of my rear end, but it could be a side effect of reverting itself into a GameCube.

Yeah but when I use Nintendont directly it returns me to the homebrew launcher. It's just weird is all

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

About to start doing research, but maybe someone here already knows.

I have a 2.0.0 Switch, but I want to play new games. Do we know if anyone's been banned doing a fuseless upgrade yet? I just want to buy some games on the eShop but I'd really like to not be banned for trying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Color Printer posted:

IDK about that, but use Z + R + B + Dpad down to go back to the loader if you are using a gamecube pad.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
So I got the sx pro in the mail today, and I wanna load up my switch with lakka so I can play some gamecube and GBA games, but I don't want to get banned for multiplayer splatoon. I have no interest in cheating or playing from backups at this point in time. What are the chances of getting banned with just SX OS and Lakka?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
90%

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FiestaDePantalones posted:

So I got the sx pro in the mail today, and I wanna load up my switch with lakka so I can play some gamecube and GBA games, but I don't want to get banned for multiplayer splatoon. I have no interest in cheating or playing from backups at this point in time. What are the chances of getting banned with just SX OS and Lakka?

Nintendo has tracked your package and already banned you. Sorry

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

KKKLIP ART posted:

I kinda want to, considering its pretty cheap, but really would only like to if it could be done in emuNAND so I can leave my stock switch NAND clean.

Dump your NAND now so you can restore it when emuNAND comes out

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Lakka is loaded before the Switch even starts so you won't get banned as N can't even tell you're using it

99% of bans are from either playing backups that you don't own online or using LayeredFS and injecting games

LayeredFS has custom errors that Sciresm was using to debug it and those custom errors go straight to Nintendo and throw up the biggest red flags imaginable

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

BadMedic posted:

Also important: both hard drives also need their own power supplies, the WiiU's USB slots are below spec and do not provide enough voltage to run a hard drive off of.

It's really annoying actually, because my fully kitted out WiiU requires 4 power sockets and I ended up having to get it it's own power bar.

FWIW I've had my Wii U for like 2 years, and I've been running an external 2.5" 500GB hard drive off a Y-cable from the rear ports without issue.

http://a.co/axkpsft

Only registered members can see post attachments!