Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

2 PP, 0 XP, d10 Mind Control complication

"Oh really, Mother, are you just going to stand there while some bluenose from Bed-Stuy condescends to us? He practically grew up in Flushing!" Patsy wasn't entirely sure why, but whether this phantom came from her mind or Purple Man's, it seemed uncannily accurate in one regard; Dorothy Walker was a woman of deep and fragile pride. When she sensed even a moment of stress, it was almost instinctual to hammer it as hard as she could. "Though I suppose Hedy has a point. I mean, her mother graduated from Sarah Lawrence..." the barbs poured out effortlessly, like water from the tap, as she attempted to swing her body the other way around: if she couldn't will her muscles to act against the commands, she would will them to relax and fail to comply altogether.

---
I'm... battling my complication by attempting to cause my own emotional stress emotional stress?! Are inner demons as susceptible to infighting as Martian demons? I guess it's time to find out. (send help!)

The pool is solo d10, Thrill-Seeking Socialite d8 for more of that high society snark, Enhanced Strength d8, Covert Expert at 2d6 because I'm working a bunch of angles, honestly, and spending the two plot points my last action bought me to activate two of your opportunities, to create a Covert "Mind Games" stunt at d10, and a reverse "Enhanced Relaxation" Strength stunt at d10.

3d10 + 2d8 + 2d6 = (9+4+9)+(1+3)+(3+5)
18 with a d10 effect, and one opportunity. I kind of wish I'd saved a plot point to create an asset or something, but whatever.
-2 pp = 0 remaining.

---

FLASH BACK - 1943, an allied Naval base somewhere in Scotland

Miss Fury posted:

"It doesn't seem fair to me. You can break your bonds with a deep breath! My chest isn't quite that robust, Excello. What am I supposed to do wrapped in chains and rope?"

Master Mind Excello posted:

"No, Fury, it isn't fair. War isn't fair. The Nazi's will expect you to force yourself free, but I expect you to think. With strength, even I have limits. With the mind, I only imagine limits. I'll be back in an hour. I don't expect to find you here when I return."

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

PP: 0 | XP: 7

There's barely a tremor in Slapstick's expression at the 'we should talk' line. Maybe she couldn't even react to that. After all, her current genre didn't exactly do complex romantic situations.

"I'm a cartoon, not a computer game, you silly goose!" Slapstick giggled. "Hmmm... how best to explain it... Have you ever seen a cuckoo clock? Well it's nothing like that. But it sort of is." Her explanation was much like everything about her. It explained everything, and absolutely nothing.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

Tinkerer's Lab

@Lager: 4d6+4d8+3d10 Doom Pool v Gobbo = (2+1+6+6)+(1+7+3+6)+(7+10+6) = 55; comes out to a 17 with a d10 effect and two opportunities. Goblin can take 2 PP for the opportunities, I'm growing the doom pool. So you get an asset! Phineas has the equivalent of Genius for the purposes of support actions, so the effect gets stepped up again to a d8, but stepped down again for my effect die being bigger. So enjoy your shiny new d6 asset!

Phineas helps Parker, making suggestions on design and implementation, as well as helping the younger man to decode his intricate organizational methods for storing his tools and spare parts. "I'm betting you've never used the Dewey Decimal System, either..." he grouses as he explains how he sorts everything based on function, size, shape, and age (for connection type variables) in a massive shelving unit on the back wall. Still, Phineas seems to be grateful (in his own way) to have someone to work with who has a basic knowledge of engineering. Sir Nicholas still thinks flushable toilets are the hot new thing, after all, and the others are no engineers either.

Soon enough, the pair of them have an array of small devices which can fit around a user's ear, with a small nodule that affixes onto the temple and - if all goes according to plan - will help them to resist the effects of mind control. Phineas mumbles something about how they could have saved themselves a lot of hassle if they'd just been able to find Magneto's helmet at some point over the years. Still, he tells the young man to hold on a moment as he fetches a couple glasses and mixes up a quick cocktail to celebrate with. Vodka, orange juice, and equal part kosher wine. Toasting with Parker, he mumbles, "Yasher Koach" before downing the drink.

Phineas delivers the devices, along with the dimensional tracker, to Captain America, explaining the usage with several choice expletives in the process. Looking at the assembled Avengers and Exiles, he coughs into one hand to attract attention without requesting it. "Listen, I don't know who any of you people are, and I don't really care that much. Just kill the bastard," he growls before turning and heading out a back door to another part of the lab away from prying eyes to finish setting up for Starband's big concert. The Tinkerer's work is never done, it seems.

Captain America puts his shield on his back as he coordinates every member of the team receiving a mind control inhibitor. "We're only getting one shot at this, people. We'll track down your friend, and make our way there as quickly as possible. I'm afraid that the garbage truck is going to be our best option, again, in order to stay off the radar and avoiding warning Kilgrave of the plan. We'll radio Phineas once we're in position, which will be the cue to start up our counter broadcast. At that point, we'll be on the clock. First priority is to extract your ally, and then it'll be time to take out Kilgrave quickly and cleanly."

Looking at Starband, Captain America gives her a warm smile and extends a hand. "If you're as good as your allies say, I know that our world is in good hands. We appreciate you doing this for us. We've actually got an idea on how to bring you along for the ride!" He gestures towards a doorway as Hercules open it, pulling out a massive, retro robot. Berlin or Bust! is painted on the chestplate of the robot, and it's face is a video screen - currently completely blank.

"Meet Electro. We found this old warhorse a couple months back in an old warehouse. Quite a bit of history in these old circuits. Unfortunately, most of its systems are damaged well beyond repair, but Mason is pretty sure we can get it to act as a sort of virtual presence robot for you. And it'll project the signal from your broadcast, once it's going, allowing you to assist the team further in resisting the effects of Kilgrave and his pawns."

We'll need to coordinate on a temporary character sheet for you as Electro, but the gist will be that you get to use superhuman strength, godlike durability, and enhanced speed in exchange for losing access to some of your Starband powers that wouldn't make sense to use if you're not physically present.

Undisclosed Location

@Lager: 3d8+1d10 Reaction to Miss Fury = (1+5+2)+(2) = 10; Comes out to a 7 with a d10 effect die. You are done with the complication, and have broken the Purple Man's control! At least, for now...Take a pp, too!

Dorothy Walker crosses her arms, glaring at Captain America and Hedy, both. "Hedy, my dear, I would let you finish, but I'm worried that you'll forget to breathe with all of this talking. If you want to talk about upbringing, surely your mother must have told you that you hardly need to use so many words for such small thoughts." She sneers next at Captain America, "As for you, you shouldn't try to hurt yourself. I know the only use you have for your head is to keep rain out of your neck."

The other two begin to fight with Dorothy, then, verbally sparring as well as they can, but neither can match Patsy's mother, who seems to know a cruel way to say anything and everything. As the three phantoms begin to fight amongst themselves, Patsy realizes rather quickly the she is no longer in the chair. Her muscles work again! Apparently, stopping herself from pushing back against the control, and focusing on putting her own mental state in order, made all the difference. The three ghosts have faded from view, now, and she is alone in the room with the television, still featuring the grotesque four-armed troll telling her all about the history of fondant. Her victory may be short-lived if she doesn't do something about the screen, and quickly, before whoever the producer of Sugar Man's show is begins to exert control!

You're free!

Lager fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 25, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"Wow. Cool robot. Right, back in the truck. You guys better not get killed or anything!" Slapstick says "Especially you~!" She taps Gwenpool on the nose. Skipping over to the dumptruck and diving inside like a dolphin.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PP: 2, Stress: 0, XP: 8

She sighs as she fixes her fauxhawk in the mirror, "No offense, and I'm not particularly picky, but you do realize that you could empty the garbage out of the truck and it'd still work as a disguise... right?"

She then follows the others outside to the garage, ready to go.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 10 XP, No stress

"Sorry Steven. Sometimes we have to fight dirty. Now, let's see about this..." Patsy's head told her to quietly unplug the television, but her heart and newly liberated limbs said it was time to make some noise. And so she did, kicking open the door to the room, and hurling the offending appliance as hard as possible into whatever stood on the other side. Her weapons had seemingly been confiscated, but her claws remained hidden and ready to strike.

----

Since I'm free now, I'm going to go ahead and claim the 10xp for being captured by our enemy in the first place. I'm also shutting down World War Weapons, to gain an extra PP. The whip is technically part of the magic suit, but I had it in hand when I was caught, so I'm just going to shut it down as well for now, since that makes sense to me, narratively speaking.

+1 pp.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

PP: 0 XP: 3 Stress: 0 Complications:

Peter puts on the anti-Control disc and then puts his mask on over it, then pockets another one for Miss Fury, for later.

He lowly whistles in appreciation at the Electro-bot, and chuckles. "So that's Electro, huh? Taller than I remember him being."

He presses the button his belt and his glider flips down off the ceiling and parks itself in front of him, he hops on, if only to ride it to the garbage truck. Another button press as he hops off and it affixes itself to the bottom of the truck. "This is...the least dignified way to travel." He nods at Bullseye's comment. "Luckily, the mask serves as a gasmask so, I'm filtered. Sorry about the rest of you though."

The Goblin clambers in the truck.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

PP: 1 | XP: 0 | Stress: n/a

Whistling, Gwenpool says, "Wow, you guys are really going Golden Age, huh?", looking up at the robot. She puts the disc on, and then says to Tinkerer, "I've never been mind-controlled, but it seems like it would suuuck. Thanks." There's a moment as she steps into nowhere, then steps back into existence, loaded down with grenades, guns, some extra knives. You know. Maybe not full nineties, but half nineties. Just enough to be faintly ridiculous. "There. Let's teach him there isn't any purple in the American flag, right?", she says to Captain America. "Though if you wanted to add pink once all this is done, that'd be rad."

Tucking the heart in one of her pouches, she says to Slapstick, "Aw, don't worry about me, I'm-" She pauses, seeming to consider her words. "- canon.", she settles on, and walks after to the truck. "Next time we get to infiltrate a high society event, though. I'm calling it in advance."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

Berenice looks the ancient automaton up and down as she returns Captain America's shake. "Oh yes, that will work just fine." She walks over and gently touches Electro's barrel chest. The robot spits out a tinny "I AM ELECTRO!" and flashes several lights on and off. "Audio quality could be better, but nothing I can't handle." The Starband looks extremely satisfied at the prospect of driving a giant robot with the power of song. "Alright, strap me in to whatever drives this thing. It's showtime."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Tinkerer's Lab

As the team piles into the truck, Captain Rogers helps Tinkerer with setting up the telepathic link between Starband and Electro. Mason grumbles as he finishes, "Well I can't promise the drat thing won't just crap the bed after the first punch it takes, but it's the best we can do. Go kick that purple dork's butt so we can all die in piece, would you?" Patsy snickers and takes up a bottle of spray paint, crossing out the "BERLIN" on the robot's chest, and writing "MANHATTAN" instead. With that, Hercules lifts up Electro and places the massive robot in the garbage truck along with the rest of the team. And then, they are off, leaving Starband and the Tinkerer to broadcast once everything is ready.

The Mark

The truck is as disgusting as they remember, though it seems that this time Hercules has been lucky enough to drive. Wearing a disguise consisting of a baseball cap (Mets all the way) and a denim shirt, he navigates them through the streets with...well, he's not a great driver, but an Olympian god with a driver's license is pretty impressive even so.

He follows a pinging noise coming from the dimensional tracker that the Goblin helped Mason construct, tracking Miss Fury's unique dimensional resonance. It takes a bit of time to orient himself, but soon the Lion of Olympus is gingerly driving the truck towards the upper east side of Manhattan. Soon enough they find themselves in front of The Mark on Madison Ave, pulling around to the back to find a service bay where they can begin their assault. Captain America quietly relays instructions to the team, "No surprise here, I would suspect Kilgrave is holed up in the penthouse."

Patsy chimes in, "There's a private elevator just for the penthouse, so we're going to have to find a way up there to get him."

Rogers nods, "If he's up there, and I'm sure he is, that means he has limited exit routes as well, though.There's no point sneaking around in here once we run into opposition - literally everyone we see is a potential spy for Kilgrave, and if we work our way up to him, he won't have any way to get out without coming past us.

"We also have to get your friend out while we're at it. That's our first priority. If Kilgrave is with her, all the better. Otherwise, our next step is to take him out so that he cannot reassert his control. Tinkerer claims that the broadcast will give out in fifteen minutes, but I know he's selling himself short as usual. I'll radio over to him once we begin the attack, and they'll start Starband's performance." He looks to Patsy and Sir Nicholas, his expression tired but hopeful, "With any luck, this is the day that everything changes. This is the day that we finally win."

He leaps out of the garbage truck then, landing softly and taking the shield off his back as he signals to the rest of the assembled heroes to join him. As the others hop out of the truck, he radios to Tinkerer to initiate the telepathic link to Electro. The giant robot hums to life, stuck down in the filth of the garbage truck, but as operational as can be expected for an octogenarian killer robot.

The Tinkerer's Lab

Tinkerer receives the call, looking to Starband. "Well, it's just about time to start the show. First things first, though, lets get you in your robot pants." He finishes connecting a small device to the back of her neck, allowing her to control the robot.

It is strange...She can still see the room, with Mason and the cameras and lights...but she can also see, well, trash. Lots of trash. It seems she's still in the garbage truck. She'll have to get out of there before anything else.

The Mark: Upper Floors

Patsy hefts the television, upon which the Sugar Man is eating frosting by the handful, and rips the plug out as she tosses it out into the hallway. One of the Secret Service agents outside catches the TV in the shoulder as he tumbles to the ground, glass and circuitry shattering against his frame. His colleagues stare for a moment, dumbfounded, before reaching into their coats and drawing their pistols to meet the attacker face to face. There are three of them still standing, shouting into their mics as they open fire on their erstwhile prisoner.

Combat time! There are three Agents - A, B, and C. Each has a pistol and Secret Service training, and each is mind-controlled to stop you at any cost! You will go first as you have surprised the hell out of them!

The Mark: Lower Floors

Hercules goes to the service door and flicks his finger at the hinges, shattering them and knocking the door out entirely. He extends a hand towards the now open doorway, inviting the others inside. Captain America moves inside, signaling the rest to follow. No opposition yet, but that is sure to change quickly. The service areas of the hotel are strikingly ugly and drab for what is one of the top luxury hotels in New York. They find an access stairwell fairly quickly and begin to make their way up.

For the first couple floors they find no real opposition. Soon, though, a group of armed guards bursts through the doors right in front of the team, running up the access stairs towards the upper floors. They pause only a moment before realizing that they are not alone, turning to face the interlopers with their guns at the ready.

You'll be facing a gaggle of guards - a 3d8 mob, to be precise. Shouldn't be any real problem to take them out so you can find out where they were going!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

She hops off her mattress perch and flicks a banana peel off her shoulder as she follows the others in, keeping pace. As they come across the guards, she immediately fires one of her makeshift gas arrows and at the wall behind clump of men.

@Fuzz: 1d6+1d10+1d8+1d8+1d10+3d6 Team, Reflexes, Weapon (bow), Weapon (gas arrow), combat master, sfx area attack x3 = (3)+(10)+(5)+(6)+(1)+(6+3+2) = 36
16 with 2 d8s for effects. Effects: KO, choking.

Passing to SLAPSTICK.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah has been silently observing, as is his wont when he has nothing to add or complain about, especially when his player is super busy with life.

"Trust me, this is not the least dignified way to travel. That would be spending six hours in the trunk of a Model T to get the border guards in the Belgian Congo."

Pause.

"90 degree weather and wetter than a sauna."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

@Lager: 5d8 Mob Reaction (Team x3, Swarm, Combat Expert) = (6+2+3+6+7) = 24; 13 with a d8 effect, so that means the mob of guards takes a d8, d8, and d6 to their 3 affiliation dice.

Take a PP for your opportunity, Bullseye!

The mob of guards is taken by surprise by the gas arrow, and begin to cough uncontrollably. Unfortunately, it would seem that their mind-controlled brains are a bit less concerned with self-preservation than a normal person's would be, as they do not withdraw, but instead push forward towards the heroes.

Slapstick is up!

Seeing the hostiles, Captain America radios to the Tinkerer, "It's time! Start the broadcast!"

The Tinkerer's Lab

Having only just finished getting Electro online and functional, Mason gets a sudden call from Captain America to start the broadcast.

"Of course! Never a moment to breathe around here, dammit..." Mashing buttons on his control console, he gets the lights and cameras up and running. Suddenly, though, they all fade out. "Old pieces of crap, work!" Mason spits the words as he kicks some bits of machinery, and surprisingly that seems to do the trick. He looks at Starband and shouts, "You're up, Lady Stardust!" He gives her a countdown as they hijack the broadcast signal and begin to send their own signal of Starband's rock and roll extravaganza all over the airwaves.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Gas? Ha! What a hoot! What a pity it wasn't laughing gas! After all laughter is the best medicine. And these boys were going to need a lot of medicine. And years of psychotherapy. Thus dooming them to medical expenses for year and years to come as the brutality of the american medical system stripped them of money they likely never had in the first place.

Now that.

That was funny.

What were they doing again? Ohh, right, the murders.

Well... maybe not. Slapstick still had no idea what Gwen's stance on killing was. So maybe just... scaring them would be fine for now? It was worth a shot.

- - - -

@Arashiofordo3: 1d10+5d8 Slapstick Attacks the mob. Team D10 + Living Cartoon D8 + Weapon D8 + Streaching D8 + Psych Expert D8 + Stress Dice D8 = (8)+(4+4+2+6+6) = 30

Result: 12
Effect Dice: D10

Tagging Gwenpool

- - - - -

With the goons gasping in the gas, Slapstick's face distorted to a horrific caricature of a demon or other monster. Screeching at the goons through the smoke as it's maw opened to consume them whole. Their eyes popped out of their heads. One jumped into the arms of another. Another ran in place for about five seconds before he started to move anywhere. It was great.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PP: 1 | XP: 0 | Stress: n/a

"Still, it makes me seriously consider my no-pants policy.", Gwenpool says to Elijah, huffing irritably. "I was stuck in Ghost Rider's trunk once, it's... kind of like that? I mean, it's hot because the wheels are on fire, but also you're like listening to the howl of the damned the whole trip and it gets stupid old. Yeah, you're a terrifying specter of vengeance, I get it."

As they come to a halt, though, she hops out, circling around a bit. She's... well, she's quieter than one might expect, and takes a deep breath. Finally, as Bullseye and Slapstick keep them disoriented, she launches into a flying kick. Aiming to sweep the leg of another on landing, she finally comes up with one of her sheathed swords to try and hilt one of the guys in the gut.

Her battle cry is mostly "Mmmmmmmmf! Mmmf! Mmmmf mff!" since she's having to hold her breath. But at least she seems to have some skills. Probably a little savate in there, a little fighting game. Many teachers.

Gwen's area attack (Team d6 + Careless Daring d8 + Enhanced Reflexes d8 + Weapon d8 + Combat Expert d8 + Physical Stress d8 + Sup, Babies 2d6) is a 13 with 3d8 effect and 2 opportunities.

Tagging Elijah if there's any left!

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

1 PP, 10 XP, d6 emotional stress

"Try not to waste too many bullets, lads; I may need them later!" she chides, as she runs along the wall briefly, to dodge and gain some extra momentum for her aerial roundhouse kick.

---
Hoping I roll well enough to maybe hit two of them, but at least kicking one of them facewise.
Solo d10, A Regular Hellcat at d8, Enhanced reflexes d8, and Acrobatic Expert d8 = (7)+(6+8+4)
So 15 and I'm spending a plot point to buy an extra effect die, to hit agents A and B for d8 physical stress each.
And tagging them so that I feel like it's my choice that I'm about to get attacked possibly three times in a row.
-1 plot point = 0 remaining.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Gwenpool gets two pp.

@Lager: 4d8 Mob Reaction to Slapstick (Corrected since it's Emotional Stress I think? And Combat Expert doesn't really work there) = (5+4+5+1) = 15; 10 with a d8 effect and one opportunity. They're down to 2 dice!

@Lager: 4d8 Mob Reaction to Gwenpool (Team x2, Swarm, Combat Expert) = (4+5+2+8) = 19; 13 with a d8 effect, they're down to one die with a d8 stress on it. So basically a feather could take them out.

The mind-controlled guards, finding themselves within a bizarre cartoon nightmare, seemingly don't know how to respond. Several of them, finding the stress of it too much on their already compromised minds, simply sink to the floor, passing out. Several more are struck down by Gwen's sudden assault. Only a few remain, and they seem utterly lost.

The Mark: Upper Floors

@Lager: 3d8 Agent A Reaction (Team, Treasury Department's Finest, Combat Expert) = (2+1+3) = 6; Welp...That's a 5 with a d4. Which means he takes a d12, and these guys can't handle that much stress. Agent A is out. (Opportunity rolled)

@Lager: 3d8 Agent B Reaction (Team, Treasury Department's Finest, Combat Expert) = (8+6+3) = 17; 14 with a d8 effect, so he's taking a d8 stress.

As Miss Fury roundhouse kicks the nearest agent, she sends him flying into the stairs door. The force of the attack tears the door off it's hinges, sending the door (and the agent) careening down a flight of stairs, and right into...the path of the other Exiles.

These two scenes are one scene now! Elijah can go next, Agent B and C will simply join the list of folks who can be tagged in this scene.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah Snow

Elijah has no patience for fights. He doesn't especially enjoy hurting people...but he's also not going to shy away from it, if it's what he has to do, and when he has to, he fights dirty. He simply walks forward into the knockout gas, which spreads away the moment his face gets close to it, the heat removed so the pressure changes. Instead, he grabs one of them by the face, smashing him into a wall with barely a glance, breaking the man's nose. He turns, punching another in the gut before shoving him aside, and then slamming his knee into another's groin.

It isn't pretty or elegant, but Elijah's never really been one for elegant fighting.

"Ah, Miss Fury. Nice of you to join us."

@morsrattus: 1d10+4d8+1d6 dirty fighting (Team, Icy Exterior, Enhanced Reflexes, Dangerous, Enhanced Strength, Stress) = (10)+(4+7+4+1)+(6) = 32

17 with a d8 effect die, stepped down by Observer and stepped up by Dangerous. One Opportunity.

Tagging...Green Goblin.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 9, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Mark

Take a pp!

@Lager: 3d8 Mob Reaction (Team, Swarm...ish, Combat Expert) = (3+6+6) = 15; 9 with a d8, so they're history! Agents B&C are still up, though.

The remaining guards fall to the ground following the assault of Elijah Snow, leaving only two of Purple Man's bodyguards in the hallway with Miss Fury to contend with before the team has to continue their search for Kilgrave himself.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Peter had gamely taken the glider into the building, which sort of worked due to the whole flight of stairs thing. Especially as Miss Fury made her dramatic re-appearance. "Ha! Classic stuff!" The Goblin says approvingly as he launches up the stairwell towards the two remaining goons. Backwards-facing metal "wing-like" wrist guards popped out of the sides of his shock-gauntlets and he dove at the last two, off of the Glider. "Hey is it just me or is this whole thing going really, really well so far? I mean for us - not for you guys." He asks the mooks as he slams into them like a green bulldozer, flinging one aside as he cracks the other across the jaw.

Ok, Team d8, Wisecracker d8, Superhuman Strength d10, Weapons d8, Combat Expert d8

@LifeGetsWorser: 4d8+1d10 attacking yon mooks = (7+8+7+2)+(1) = 25

so a 15 with a d8 effect and 1 opportunity to try and take the mooks out. Assuming it doesn't quite do that, I will let Hellcat go next - just to make sure that A Patsy gets an opportunity to finish this off.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

0 PP, 10 XP, d6 Emotional stress

"Splendidly, even! Thanks for the assistance, Mister Green."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PP: 3 | XP: 0 | Stress: n/a

"Don't say that.", Gwen protests to Green Goblin as she comes out of the cloud, coughing slightly. "If you say that, that's a cue for things to get harder. We're only on Level 1, anyway. Things are always easiest on Level 1." She looks up the stairwell. "Wait, we're taking the stairs? I should've gotten a motorcycle if I knew we were just taking the stairs. Is it too early to say I'm defeated? Defeated by stairs?"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Mark

Goblin, take a PP!

@Lager: 3d8 Agent Reaction to Goblin = (1+4+3) = 8; 7...with a d4. Agent C goes to d10 stress (And Agent B still has a d8 stress)

@Lager: 1d6+2d8+1d10 Hellcat slashing an Agent = (1)+(8+5)+(1) = 15; 13 with a d4?

@Lager: 3d8 Agent Reaction = (1+3+7) = 11; Oh okay then, 10 with a d4. He's also at d10 and gone. Fight over!

Green Goblin slams into one of the Agents, who goes flying into a nearby wall. Hellcat leaps in immediately after him, slashing at the second agent and slamming his head into a doorframe. Both agents slump to the ground uselessly, as the heroes take a moment to breathe.

This world's resident Patsy Walker breaks the silence by putting a hand on her hip, looking Miss Fury over with a bemused expression before shaking her head. "Now this is not remotely fair."

Lager fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 12, 2018

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Patsy unconsciously mirrors her other self, save for the expression of mild disbelief on her face. "My... you're... oh, how strange. So do I call you a copy cat, or vice versa?"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I AM ELECTRO

As the last of the goons fall, the slow and heavy steps of Electro come to a halt as it catches up to the Exiles. Suddenly, the lights on the wartime robot begin to flash in a rapid pattern. "INITIATING BROADCAST MODE". Electro's body begins to transform as various hidden panels slide away to reveal even more speakers. Some of them still in their original housing, others clumsily smashed into spaces too small for their intended design. The Tinkerer was definitely going for speed over aesthetic design on this one. Electro's chest opened up to reveal a holographic Starband preparing to perform. Music began to emit from the automaton in distorted waves before being adjusted into....

Starband

"This is going to be blasting doublepace to get through the broadcast, Mason. It's not safe to look directly at me until we finish." Starband warns. Then it's showtime. Her time. Berenice relaxes, lets go of her physical form until she's shining. No need for costumes, the entire purpose is her light. She remembers the sizzling of neurons at the broadcast she observed. Hold it in memory, reverse, amplify, return. Fry every bit of brain control with the purifying sound of the Starband. The Big Bang set to scale, the cosmos conducted. The song wouldn't do anything but the sound would be turned to light and the light would free the world in a joyous burst. The others probably expected rock and roll rebellion. They'd be disappointed because this was not rebellion but restoration. The revolution, after all, would not be televised. She begins to dance. There's three of her now, two light copies. Now four. The music swells.

The Starband Idol Explosion begins

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Seeing her old tank destroying robot friend transform into whatever this was immediately adds a pile of extra questions to her inventory, the most pressing of which simply falls out of her mouth "Does Doctor Zog know what you've done to his robot?" followed by the barely audible "Did Japan win the war?!?"

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 10, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

"Huh. Was NOT expecting cutesy J-Pop to cure the world. Hopefully Hypno-Barney is watching and losing his loving mind about it." she looks up the stairwell, then glances to the Goblin, "Hey, Little Green, wanna scout up further? Your wings, my luck, let's keep the streak going." If allowed, she swings herself up onto the back of the glider, hanging onto the Goblin for support, though not too tightly. "Don't mind me."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Wow, uh...that's not what I was expecting out of our little David Bowie clone." Peter comments on the music, but he's distracted by Bullseye asking for a lift. "Oh, yeah, uh...good idea and all but you really think we oughtta split up? I mean the last time we did Miss Fury got captured and we almost beefed the ....uuuuh I mean Gweenpool and I totally aced The Controller and Dr. Bong. So yeah that's totally a hip idea and I am down for it."

Remembering, Peter reached into the pouch where he had stored it, and tossed the extra Anti-Control unit to Miss Fury. Well, his Miss Fury anyway. Er, the Miss Fury that was an Exile, like him, as opposed to the Miss Fury who was native to this universe. Yeah, that clarified things. "Hey red - catch!" He called to her as he tossed it, and then hopped back onto his glider, which had obediently set itself to a hover as soon as he had lept off at the goon. He extended a hand to Bullseye. "Little Green sounds too uhm, well cutesy. I'm not a cartoon character. The fans back home call me Gobbo, though, if you want." He suggests.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Mark

Hellcat smirks a bit to Miss Fury. "Let's see, which of us is the mini-me...you're definitely younger, but you're from, what, the 40s? God, mom would've loved you..." As Starband's insane idol explosion begins, however, Hellcat's attention is diverted. "ohmygod, you guys seriously know how to party." She looks over to Elijah Snow, "Can I just join your team when this is all said and done? I'll take J-Pop robots over garbage trucks and garages filled with old man smell any day."

Goblin and Bullseye, meanwhile, fly up to the top of the stairs as the rest of the team trudges up the staircase as quickly as they can. The stairs end at level 15, right below the penthouse. On the way up, they encounter several guards who are freaking out with each other, trying to figure out how long they've been under the Purple Man's control. One of the men is frantically calling his family, trying to find out if they are alive. Tears stream down their faces as they panic. They will offer no opposition, but the tragedy of what has happened to this world will mean the Exiles will find no more allies here. Only broken people, traumatized by their total and complete loss of agency, and the years that have been stolen from them.

The rest of the team is almost caught up now, to level 15. They will have to find a way up to the penthouse, either by the emergency stairs or the private elevator.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

"I don't know how our...whatever the drat thing is that jumps us between universes will like it, but remind me to give you my card later. Planetary may be able to find you some similar work when they come in to do the followup."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

"We shoudl probably do a two pronged attack," she offers to Gobby, "Maybe they take the frontal approach, and we flank him?"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Peter nods. But this wasn't the time for jokes - he glanced over his shoulder at Bullseye and tilts his head. "Ok, listen, I get the sense you've had to do some things...and if this Kilgrave is like the Kilgrave I had to deal with...which he seems like only worse - we have to be quick and we have to make sure he does not talk, right? No matter what. He gets his hooks into any of us and this could all be over real quick. Pincer's a good idea - but we can't give him any chances to turn it around. You understand me?"

He really, really didn't like saying this sort of thing - even if that was the mission the Tallus gave - but the Purple Man was...well, his own special kind of a jerk. And this was writ large. Still, he half hoped Bullseye would tell him that there was a better way, and all that. That would be a nice reminder of home.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

She arches a brow at the green mask, "Out of all of us, I'm the one you have to worry the least about doing what needs to be done and getting my hands dirty... and you're the one we'd have to worry about the most. Why do you think you and I are up here? I'm here to take the shot that you can't, the two prong attack was the plan all along when I asked you for the ride, I'm just trying to be polite." Her cold expression matched her words, but quickly melts into a smile as she playfully flicks him in the forehead.

"Now let's get moving so we're in position when they breach." She looks down to catch Cap's eye and uses a few Universal Tactical Hand Signals to indicate that they were going out and around to flank while his team did the primary breach. As soon as she gets confirmation from him that he's received the message, she pats Gobby on the shoulder and surely says, "Let's go."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

He arcs the glider around the building to where Bullseye had indicated. He was a genius, but he wasn't much of a tactician himself so he figured she'd be better at that sort of thing anyway. "Trust me...I might not like it, but I won't flinch if it comes to it. Probably the rest of the crew we'll have to explain ourselves to if it comes down to it." He sighs, setting the glider to a hover once they were in position. "Not a fun conversation, but...well, if it gets it done and gets us all closer to home - not mention helps this world out, then it'll be worthwhile."

Seemingly unconcerned with the heavy subject matter, he drops into a sitting position, letting his legs dangle over the edge of the glider. "I uh...I get the sense your world isn't really a lot of fun though, so uhm, sorry. About that. If there's anything I can do, like...send you home a care package or something if I get a chance to make you something..."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Business cards aren't exactly a multiversal threat.", Gwenpool says to Elijah. "Unless dimensional vibrations make it into a bomb that threatens all that exists, but that's only ever happened, like, twice, I'm pretty sure?" Dragging over a chair towards the center of another room, she then stacks them on top of each other. "Anyway, I'm sure he'll be looking to the door, but-" She hops onto the chairs and reaches into her belt, starting to plant gummy explosive stuff on the ceiling as she looks down to the others. "If you have a choice between exploding stuff and not exploding stuff, it's pretty obvious, right?"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"Let's not talk about mother for now. I think I've had enough of that for today. But if you've got time for a Soixante Quinze after all of this, we really should catch up."

Patsy absently catches the Goblin's invention as they begin the trek up the stairs. "Really, I just have so many questions! What is this thing, for example?" she says gesturing to the anti-control device, "Is that really Cap?" she whispers, "And who is the hunk?" she does not whisper.

----
near the top of the stairwell

"Oh, I very much agree, Miss Poole. It's time for fireworks." perhaps it was a lingering effect of the mind-over-matter exercise, or Starband's focusing on other things, but at that moment Patsy's fashionable disguise faded away, revealing the Black Fury beneath.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 13, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Mark

Hellcat nods, a half-smile on her face, "Oh, believe me - if we survive this thing, we'll be going out on whatever is left of this town! Glam-rock can come too." She gestures towards Starband's image on Electro's screen, "I've been cooped up in Tinkerer's lab for way too long."

Captain America watches as some of the Exiles begin getting down to business, thinking through their objectives and assets, as well as the layout. "Alright, it sounds like Bullseye and the Green Goblin will be going around the building to flank from outside. Gwenpool, was it?" He looks to Gwen, verifying that he got the name right, albeit with that drat missing "e," and continues, "looks to be setting up explosives to attack from below. Slapstick, Miss Fury, and Hellcat can join her in an assault through the floor.

"A team should head up the stairs, but we'll wait for the explosion before we attack - they're likely watching that door like hawks. Sir Nicholas and I will join you there.

"Herc - we'll need you to take out the elevator, to cut off escape from that direction. We hit from all sides. The explosion will be our cue."

After setting up the attack

Captain America leads Sir Nicholas, Elijah Snow, and Electro up the stairs, holding up a hand to signal them to wait as he whispers into his communicator.

"Now!" The sound is all Gwenpool needs as she triggers the explosives and leaps into action. She, Starband, Miss Fury, and Hellcat all leap into the room from below - though unfortunately they didn't seem to manage to blow up Kilgrave from below. Would have been a bit too lucky...

Instead, they find themselves in an incredibly posh - and absurdly large - hotel suite. The ceiling goes up two floors, massive windows allowing natural light to flood the space. It would be a beautiful sight, if it weren't for the smoke from the explosion, and the villainous occupants of the room. Purple Man is on the far side of the room, flanked by a pair of beautiful, but deadly, white tigers. Shocked by the explosion, he is barreling towards his panic room.

"Stop them, NOW! I command it!" He shouts his order to a large group of villains that he's apparently brought in for protection. A spindly man in purple and green, with facial hair to rival Bentley himself - Diablo. A massive, hairy creature with a skullcap and a less-than-visible mouth - Xemnu, the Living Hulk. A strange, massive purple creature that looks...alien - Hybrid. A massive, winged, green woman - Harpy. And a heavily muscled woman with cropped red hair and an expression filled with rage - Amazon. The two tigers leap down to join the villains, apparently having been at least somewhat trained to attack.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Oh, wait, whaaat, you've been undamseled. Cool.", Gwenpool says to Black Fury as she pulls out her detonator, pressing it as the explosions go off. "You're invited to the party, let's go!"

Coming out of the smoke, Gwenpool lands in a dramatic crouch, and looks up. "Oh. Huh. I guess I should have brought some friends." A slight pause as some of the others come through. "'Oh, hey, I did. Sup, friends?" As Kilgrave flees, she calls out, "Sit tight, I'll be with you in a moment!" That's a mostly bulletproof crowd, but- she looks to Diablo. "Oh, hey, Esteban." A step forward, and she vanishes for a moment, reemerging into reality in a close-up panel to his right. "Let's talk outside."

With that, she tries to plant a hand on the alchemist's shoulder and pull him into the Gutterspace, the dimension between panels. Would Purple Man's control keep up there? Was Diablo even being controlled? Well, one way to find out!

Trying to inflict a Lost in the Gutters complication on Diablo, spending 1 PP to borrow a Doom d10 and turn it into a d8. The roll is Team d6 + Careless Daring d8 + Panel Control d8 + Combat Expert d8 + Beat the Devil d10 = 11 with a d10 effect, no complications.

I'll tag... hm. Green Goblin.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

The Mark

@Lager: 1d8+1d8+1d8+1d8 Diablo's Magical Mystery Tour (Team, Centuries of Experience and Research, Teleportation, Acrobatic Expert) = (5)+(2)+(3)+(4) = 14; 9 with a d8...Not good enough, so I'mma spend a d8 from the doom pool to make it a 12 with a d8 and cheese his way to victory on that roll.

As Gwenpool appears behind Diablo, she can clearly see the control mechanism built into his neck - a tube feeding purple goo into his body, just like on Faustus and the Controller. That answers that question, definitely under the control of the Purple Man.

The ancient alchemist is taken by surprise, but only for a moment. He reaches into a pouch and pulls a small pellet out which he shoves into his mouth as she wrenches his shoulder back. He is nearly trapped in the gutterspace when he simply...vanishes, leaving her holding a shredded piece of his mantle and a handful of smoke. He appears on the opposite side of the room, twirling his ridiculously ostentatious moustache.

"Whoever you are, my dear, you shall have to do much better than that! The great Diablo - Master of the Lost Arts - does not fall prey to such simple parlor tricks!" the spindly man gloats, positioning himself for safety behind the massive bulk of Xemnu even as he boasts about his skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

PP: 0 XP: 4 Stress: 0 Complications:

Well, that all happened pretty fast. Faster than Peter was expecting, even. And was that XENMU, the Titan!? Aww man, that would be a pain - his world's Xenmu was a regular issue.

Oh well, no matter. That wasn't even his target, Kilgrave was, despite the fact he had run off into a panic room. Aptly named, anyway. Peter couldn't help but smirk. He raised his arm and shot something at the window from his Shock Gauntlet. It landed with a dull thud and an electronic, almost rodent-like chirp as it activated. It resembled a bat, with a blinking yellow light.

"Oh uh, you might wanna cover your ears." He looks over his shoulder at Bullseye for a moment, and then presses a button on his belt. A high-pitched squeal came out of the bat-bit, and as it increased in volume and intensity spider-web like cracks impossibly appeared in the glass on the outside of the window. Even Peter had to put his hands over his ears as it continued, impossibly, getting louder.

"ALMOST THERE!" He shouts, likely only really coming through as an indistinct murmur to his passenger. And then, just as it was about to become unbearable...

...the glass shattered, exploding inward as the bat-bit finally burst apart.

The Goblin whistled in relief. "Phew...that was some tough glass!" He nods appreciatively as he kicks the glider into high gear and into The Mark, Pumpkin Bombs already in hand. And that dude with the mustache was a good target, but of course he was running behind Xenmu. Well, that made a good enough target number one.

"Okay then, big guy! Sorry, this isn't anything personal - but you've all gotta get out of the way!" He shouts by way of introduction as he flings a Pumpkin Bomb, fastball style, at the Titan.

Team d8, With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility d8, Superhuman Strength d10, Weapons d8, Combat Expert d8, d6 to Inflict the Stunned Complication on Xenmu

@LifeGetsWorser: 4d6+1d10+1d6 Stun Grenading Xenmu = (1+6+2+3)+(2)+(1) = 15

...thaaaaanks, Sidekick. That's a 9 with a d10, stepped up to a d12 due to the Stun Grenades Complication, and 2 Opportunities.

1 XP for declaring Xenmu an old enemy, though.

Also, tagging Bullseye!