Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a way to have a regular (dumb) switch along with a smart switch in a 3-way setup? Or do both switches have to be smart switches?

I watched some videos and they mention "add-on switch" but I don't know what that is.

You need a smart add-on switch. They’re cheap compared to a full smart switch since they don’t have all the radio components and such of the full smart switch. They literally just signal back to the main switch what to do. I went with the GE models, and they are ~$20 a piece. They can be used with smart switches, dimmers and fan controls.

Note that you need to likely get one of the same brand you’re using for a smart switch and that the wiring connections are different than a normal three way but use the same wires (you only use one traveler for connecting back with the GEs, the other traveler wire gets hooked up to the load if I recall correctly).

I just hooked up a ceiling fan with a separate fan speed smart switch and a smart dimmer both with three way configs using add-ons at the secondary site. Work like a charm and I love having the option to use the switches as well as voice and automation.

housefly fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I've had an original model Ring Doorbell for the last year and have been extremely unimpressed. The two biggest issues are the lag between action and record time and the inconsistent low-battery warnings that often don't show up at all. (The Ring app is also a large steaming pile)

Any recommendations for its replacement? Skybell, Nest Hello, Blink, etc? I'd simply like something that captures decent video without the action/record lag. If it's extensible to add a driveway cam, etc. that would be a huge bonus.

Thanks thread!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fireside Nut posted:

I've had an original model Ring Doorbell for the last year and have been extremely unimpressed. The two biggest issues are the lag between action and record time and the inconsistent low-battery warnings that often don't show up at all. (The Ring app is also a large steaming pile)

Any recommendations for its replacement? Skybell, Nest Hello, Blink, etc? I'd simply like something that captures decent video without the action/record lag. If it's extensible to add a driveway cam, etc. that would be a huge bonus.

Thanks thread!

I've had the Canary Flex outdoor cameras and I hated them because of the lag time between action and notification.

I replaced the one at my front door with a Nest Hello, and the lag time between action and notification is probably less than a second. Very happy with it. Of course, you can add the other Nest cameras as needed.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Housefly, in addition to advice you’ve been given, I’d like to add that I recently had a four-way dumb switch setup (3 locations with old rockers, 2x 4T8 luminaires) that’s been upgraded to a smart-smart-dumb setup (Leviton Lumina RFs).

Existing wiring was such that the last remaining dumb rocker was never touched. Thrown, it totally turns off the two overhead fixtures, while in the on position it just lets the radios in the smart switches function normally.

/recent anecdote

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Fireside Nut posted:

Thanks thread!

The regular nest cameras have no real lag between someone being in your front yard and you getting a notification. I have 3 outdoor and 1 indoor and they are flawless.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thanks for the recommendations, Thermopyle and Piggy Smalls!

To clarify further, the big lag issue I have with Ring is that it's always capturing video many seconds after someone walks up to the door. I often get alerts pretty quickly on Ring but when I go to review the video it's missing a big chunk of time from when the person first approached the door.

Is Nest good at capturing the whole sequence of movement from start to finish?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Best Buy has a lot of Google Chromecast and Home products on sale this week, if anyone's interested.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nest is wired in and has continuous capture, so you won’t be missing anything unless the wifi connection drops.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Fireside Nut posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, Thermopyle and Piggy Smalls!

To clarify further, the big lag issue I have with Ring is that it's always capturing video many seconds after someone walks up to the door. I often get alerts pretty quickly on Ring but when I go to review the video it's missing a big chunk of time from when the person first approached the door.

Is Nest good at capturing the whole sequence of movement from start to finish?

It is continuous and you can go back to before the person got to the door.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I hope this is the correct place to ask about Google Home alone without any added smart home stuff. If not I can take it to the Android thread or something.

I'd like to set up a Google Home for my grandfather as he moves into an assisted living facility. His vision is very poor (cannot see screens or books well enough to use/read them). He has some dementia issues. He'll be moving into a place where he has his own room and constant caregivers available. My goal is to have something he can interact with through voice alone. The more intuitive and easy to use, the better. If it's used for nothing but calling up music, that's just fine, as even that's something he has trouble doing now. I live a little ways away, so I'd like to have this just work after my initial in-person setup.

I have a Google Home Mini myself, so I'm familiar with how they work. I could use some help or advice for some things:
  • The facility apparently just has one big "Guest" wifi network for him to use. Will that be an issue? I'm not concerned about security, as I'm creating a fresh Google account for him and he's never used the internet, so it's not like there is information to steal. But I don't know if there are issues using something like a Home on an open facility-wide network. It seems like at a minimum it would be a problem if there is another Google Home out there on the network somewhere, right?
  • Is there any way for him to receive voice calls/chat through the speaker alone? It'd be perfect if something like "PersonX is calling you. Would you like to answer?" through the speaker. I don't care if it's Duo, Whatsapp, or whatever, as long as it's simple voice calling of some sort. He has no cell phone, and the tablet will not have a SIM card. I understand that you can make outgoing wifi-only phone calls, which I assume don't need a phone plan to work. That'll be great for him, but receiving calls would be even better.
  • I assume it'd be useful (or necessary?) to have a device of some sort to interact with the Home, even though he cannot see screens well himself. I can donate a cheap Amazon tablet to that cause (I already have the Google Play Store on there), and leave it for a caregiver or the like to use if need be. Is there anything in particular I should be sure to do when setting up the tablet?
  • Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience using a Home or Echo for this sort of thing? Anything I'm overlooking? Any possibly interesting uses for an elderly person who has no technology experience?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Evis posted:

Nest is wired in and has continuous capture, so you won’t be missing anything unless the wifi connection drops.

Piggy Smalls posted:

It is continuous and you can go back to before the person got to the door.

Perfect - thanks so much!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

incogneato posted:

It seems like at a minimum it would be a problem if there is another Google Home out there on the network somewhere, right?

I haven’t owned Homes, but I know many people who have multiple on the same network. What do you think would go wrong?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The biggest concern I'd have about being on a shared network is the Chromecast functionality. Anyone else on that network could cast media to it at any time of day or night.

I really wish that Google had a better solution for cast functionality on semi-public networks.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Fireside Nut posted:

Perfect - thanks so much!

You can also listen with camera. And has night vision that is super clear.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t owned Homes, but I know many people who have multiple on the same network. What do you think would go wrong?

Nothing in particular. I know multiple Homes work on the same network (god knows Google wants us all to own dozens), but I assume they're usually registered to the same Google account and users. As wolrah said, casting with multiple cast-capable devices can get weird. I didn't know if the same was true for Home devices generally. Will anyone with the Home app be able to muck with settings, etc?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You could put it on its own cellular hotspot, or if that's cost-prohibitive, put a wireless AP in the middle to firewall it off from other guests.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Configuration of a Home or Mini requires authentication except when doing initial setup, by my recollection (and hope).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wibla posted:

A dedicated AP with a sector/beam antenna could help?

So looking around, these are really pricey, 400-1,200 bucks, and they look like they're meant for getting your wifi connection across town. I was hoping for a router just a bit more powerful then what I got to extend the wifi by a few extra feet, namely being able to penetrate the stucco walls that make up my garage.

I was looking up meshes, and saw this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N75V1P6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

If I'm to understand, I can have one plugged to my modem and then set the second one wherever, without being hardwired, to extend the signal? I can place the second one right smack in the corner of the house and ideally with its supposed 1,500 ft radius it can get a signal going past the stucco walls, no? Also a two pack is only 60 bucks for some reason, half the price of a single.

E: Google wifi also looks interesting, but it looks like I have to daisy chain additional routers with an ethernet cable?

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 9, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Installing my first smart switch today. I'll probably gently caress it up somehow and burn down the house. Should be fun.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Leal posted:

So looking around, these are really pricey, 400-1,200 bucks, and they look like they're meant for getting your wifi connection across town. I was hoping for a router just a bit more powerful then what I got to extend the wifi by a few extra feet, namely being able to penetrate the stucco walls that make up my garage.

If I'm to understand, I can have one plugged to my modem and then set the second one wherever, without being hardwired, to extend the signal? I can place the second one right smack in the corner of the house and ideally with its supposed 1,500 ft radius it can get a signal going past the stucco walls, no? Also a two pack is only 60 bucks for some reason, half the price of a single.

E: Google wifi also looks interesting, but it looks like I have to daisy chain additional routers with an ethernet cable?

IIRC

If it's just a repeater every one you add will reduce your available bandwidth by half. Mesh networks need some back channel, either hardwired or something of a different wavelength.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Leal posted:

Seriously just run a cat6 into the garage and be done with it. Anything else you consider is a waste of time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

uPen posted:

Seriously just run a cat6 into the garage and be done with it. Anything else you consider is a waste of time.

I'm all for the lazy "smart" solution, but this is the answer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am expressly forbidden by the guy who can decide to make me homeless to drill holes into the house.
The camera is wireless only.
The garage gets extremely hot during the day, well above 105.

Wireless is my only option

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can get cheaper sector/beam ap's, ubiquity has some. They're like <150 for a pair.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Google WiFi is a mesh system, wires are NOT required between units. They will establish a wireless backhaul,I believe the upper limit on units is 9.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incogneato posted:

I hope this is the correct place to ask about Google Home alone without any added smart home stuff. If not I can take it to the Android thread or something.

I'd like to set up a Google Home for my grandfather as he moves into an assisted living facility. His vision is very poor (cannot see screens or books well enough to use/read them). He has some dementia issues. He'll be moving into a place where he has his own room and constant caregivers available. My goal is to have something he can interact with through voice alone. The more intuitive and easy to use, the better. If it's used for nothing but calling up music, that's just fine, as even that's something he has trouble doing now. I live a little ways away, so I'd like to have this just work after my initial in-person setup.

I have a Google Home Mini myself, so I'm familiar with how they work. I could use some help or advice for some things:
  • The facility apparently just has one big "Guest" wifi network for him to use. Will that be an issue? I'm not concerned about security, as I'm creating a fresh Google account for him and he's never used the internet, so it's not like there is information to steal. But I don't know if there are issues using something like a Home on an open facility-wide network. It seems like at a minimum it would be a problem if there is another Google Home out there on the network somewhere, right?
  • Is there any way for him to receive voice calls/chat through the speaker alone? It'd be perfect if something like "PersonX is calling you. Would you like to answer?" through the speaker. I don't care if it's Duo, Whatsapp, or whatever, as long as it's simple voice calling of some sort. He has no cell phone, and the tablet will not have a SIM card. I understand that you can make outgoing wifi-only phone calls, which I assume don't need a phone plan to work. That'll be great for him, but receiving calls would be even better.
  • I assume it'd be useful (or necessary?) to have a device of some sort to interact with the Home, even though he cannot see screens well himself. I can donate a cheap Amazon tablet to that cause (I already have the Google Play Store on there), and leave it for a caregiver or the like to use if need be. Is there anything in particular I should be sure to do when setting up the tablet?
  • Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience using a Home or Echo for this sort of thing? Anything I'm overlooking? Any possibly interesting uses for an elderly person who has no technology experience?

Does it have to be a Google Home? This might not be a bad application for an Echo or even an Echo show. There's easy drop in calling and no worries about the casting stuff, etc.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Maneki Neko posted:

Does it have to be a Google Home? This might not be a bad application for an Echo or even an Echo show. There's easy drop in calling and no worries about the casting stuff, etc.

No, I just went that direction because it's what I'm familiar with. Good point, I'll take a look at the Echo to see if it does what I want better. Is Amazon's voice recognition up to par with Google's? My grandfather doesn't always speak very clearly these days.

My understanding was that the Echo calling was only between other Echos. Is that still true?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Drop in is between echo devices, calls can go to cell phones with (I’m pretty sure it’s needed) the Alexa app installed.

E: this may help. https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16713667011

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Google Assistant is also built into Android phones, for what it's worth.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This talk reminds me that I just recently found out that I can go "hey google, broadcast I'll be home in 15 minutes" and Assistant on my phone will broadcast that to the Home's in my house.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

This talk reminds me that I just recently found out that I can go "hey google, broadcast I'll be home in 15 minutes" and Assistant on my phone will broadcast that to the Home's in my house.

Certain broadcasts will also trigger sound effects, like saying "broadcast dinner time".

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a Dropcam (now Nest) and the support and reliability for it absolutely sucks hard. It seems like Nest just fired all their technical support people and got a bunch of super-overworked, really bottom-of-the-barrel people to replace them. I've been on phone support hell with them for the past hour.

With that said, I am looking for a basic online camera that can detect motion and send me a text, email, or an app alert. I was stoked at the cost of Amazon's Cloud Cam (both for the product and monthly costs, and it's free for the most basic cloud monitoring), but not having email or SMS support is a real potential dealbreaker, unfortunately. However Nest has gone so far down the tubes that I might be able to deal with just the app alerts if they work, versus Nest's alerts that seem to work whenever they feel like it.

I just need something that's reliable, if it costs a little more, so be it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I have a Dropcam (now Nest) and the support and reliability for it absolutely sucks hard. It seems like Nest just fired all their technical support people and got a bunch of super-overworked, really bottom-of-the-barrel people to replace them. I've been on phone support hell with them for the past hour.

With that said, I am looking for a basic online camera that can detect motion and send me a text, email, or an app alert. I was stoked at the cost of Amazon's Cloud Cam (both for the product and monthly costs, and it's free for the most basic cloud monitoring), but not having email or SMS support is a real potential dealbreaker, unfortunately. However Nest has gone so far down the tubes that I might be able to deal with just the app alerts if they work, versus Nest's alerts that seem to work whenever they feel like it.

I just need something that's reliable, if it costs a little more, so be it.

Wow, that sucks.

I had a problem yesterday where the web portal had a corrupted video stream and Nest support got me ironed out in like 5 minutes.

Seems like maybe their support is not consistent...

The absolute best thing about the Nest cameras (at least the current gen) to me is how fast and reliable the app notifications are compared to the Logitech, Canary, and Arlo cameras I've used in the past.

edit:

Oh yeah, the reason I came into this thread. I mentioned a few days ago that I was moving away from my smartthings+HA-in-docker setup to a zwave-usb-stick+HA-in-docker setup.

Today I started on that and it was very simple if you have any amount of experience with linux and docker or even if not but you can follow basic instructions. Here's my brief tutorial:

1. Plug the Aeotec Zwave Gen5 USB stick into linux box.
2. Add this to to /etc/udev/rules.d/10-zwave-static.rules so the USB stick can always be found at /dev/zwave
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0658", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0200", SYMLINK+="zwave"
3. Reboot and make sure /dev/zwave points to your USB device.
3. Add --device=/dev/zwave:/dev/zwave:rwm to your docker command that starts HA (or the equivalent to your docker-compose.yml).
5. Follow the HA instructions to add the zwave component and then start pairing your zwave devices.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 12, 2018

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm trying to setup my Nest doorbell but keep getting a NC008 error, support has taken multiple days now and I've literally tried everything including connecting via a hotspot and they now want me to take my doorbell off the house and try it somewhere else... I wish I hadn't just bought a nest doorbell, cameras and thermostat...

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

That does sound like a firewall or maybe wifi issue based on the nest support pages.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Evis posted:

That does sound like a firewall or maybe wifi issue based on the nest support pages.

Yeah, I was going to say this as well. Not sure what Nest can do for you if your network is weird in some manner.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

It's definitely not my firewall or wifi, they don't use any special protocols or require any special NAT or open ports. According to support they're just making a web request and I'm not blocking any ports or anything. Also the fact that I had it connect over my phone network and got the same error makes me think it has nothing to do with the network at all.

I have an edgerouter and UAP from Ubiquiti, I know my way around networks, nothing is "weird" about it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Added a Skybell Camera to my house. Works pretty drat good and it was way cheaper than the Ring Pro.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Thermopyle posted:

Wow, that sucks.

I had a problem yesterday where the web portal had a corrupted video stream and Nest support got me ironed out in like 5 minutes.

Seems like maybe their support is not consistent...

Yeah, that's what so weird, since they've been top-notch in the past. I thought they went and did one of those "fire your good support people" things.

Scanning other places like Reddit make it sound like other people are getting extremely poor support for Nest, which in the past has really been top-notch. I know there have been outages that seem to be getting worse (check Nest on DownDetector http://downdetector.com/status/nest ). I've also been seeing some recent reports here and there (Reddit, Twitter, etc.) where people are claiming to have had their HVAC systems damaged and they are blaming the Nest thermostats, and there even was a HVAC guy who said their first step was generally "pull out the Nest thermostat".

So this is basically what happened to me here after my camera stops providing notifications:

• I called up once, waited 10 minutes, and the first person sounded like they were struggling to read from their script. I don't like doing this but I just hung up about fifteen seconds into the call I felt more sad than upset.
  • The second call, after waiting 15 minutes was where I got more upset, and to be fair at that point I was unhappy, and as the call went through the steps (including a few "You've got my file in the computer, why are we discussing this?" questions, I'm not talking about security verification stuff) I think I pissed off the tech. Before voices got raised I hung up. To be fair this was probably in part due to the "energy" I brought to the call with me, but I quickly knew after the benefit of the doubt and a couple of minutes that this was probably not going to go well.
  • Third call, after 20 minutes, I straight asked straight up for tier-two or escalated support. They pushed me through, but after another fifteen minutes I just gave up.

I also had a technical question about the camera that the support person logged a ticket for engineering with. That was a year or more ago. I was never contacted back about that. :shrug:

Thermopyle posted:

The absolute best thing about the Nest cameras (at least the current gen) to me is how fast and reliable the app notifications are compared to the Logitech, Canary, and Arlo cameras I've used in the past.

This is amazing. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad this is working for you, and hopefully it's working well for other people, but when I read that my jaw dropped open. Or maybe Nest is poor and the others are just so, so, so much worse.

Definitely want to look for a new camera, but I definitely don't want it to be a Nest product based on my experiences here.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Or maybe Nest is poor and the others are just so, so, so much worse.

No, for me the Nest isn't poor. The delay between activity and notification is less than 1 second. Probably less than 500ms.

I have two outdoor cameras plus the Nest Hello. The cameras work well and the doorbell chime on my phone is barely behind the actual old-fashioned physical doorbell chime when someone presses the button.

I'm not sure I would ding them for making you step through their support script. That's almost a given with any technical support. That's also why I usually don't call a support line. Support chat can often skip the script or at the very least it's easier to not waste your time on a chat then a phone call.

With support you can often cut through the bullshit Ron Swanson style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhHEOIYgMY

Of course, tier-two not helping you sounds pretty poo poo.