Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

quote:

This is a story about you. A tale about the inside of your body. According to a new study, the human body consists of approximately 37 trillion cells. These cells are hard at work every day within a world that is your body. From the oxygen carrying Red Blood Cells to the bacteria fighting White Blood Cells, get to know the unsung heroes and the drama that unfolds inside you!

Hataraku Saibou/Cells at Work! is basically Osmosis Jones by way of Japan. It's a story about the daily goings on of the human body with a particular focus on the always working immune system. The series is produced by David Production, who's mostly known for relatively unknown series called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

PV1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek39M_lYUtE
PV2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMXWvvjAJek

Erythrocyte/Red blood cell - Red blood cells carry oxygen and carbon dioxide throughout the body and keep them oxygenated. Our protagonist is a newbie RBC who frequently gets lost, but strives to do their best.
CV: Hanazawa Kana (You should know who this is)

Leukocyte/White blood cell (Neutrophil) - White blood cells are one of the major components of the immune system. The white ones shown are specifically Neutrophil, the most common type of WBC. Our protagonist is the strong silent type.
CV: Maeno Tomoaki

Killer T Cell/Cytotoxic T cell - Killer T cells are a type of lymphocyte that's specialized in killing infected, damaged or cancerous cells.
CV: Daisuke Ono (Notably, he's also the VA for Jotaro)

Macrophage - Macrophages are a special type of WBC that kills foreign bodies, cleans up dead cells and finds antigens for use by other T cells. They are very powerful.
CV: Kikuko Inoue

Platelet - Platelets are one of the smallest cells in the human body. Their job is to gather together and block wounds to stop bleeding. They are extremely cute and can stop your heart if you're not careful.
CV: Maria Naganawa (Notable roles: Kanna Kamui from Maidragon, Tamaki Hondafrom Magic of Stella)

Helper T cell/T helper cell - Helper T cells manage the immune response in the body by signalling other T cells to the presence of foreign cells and activating other cells in the immune system.
CV: Takahiro Sakurai (Notably, also the VA for Kishibe Rohan from Jojo)

Regulatory T cell - Regulatory T cells assist in the regulation of the immune system including autoimmune disease prevention and managing antigen tolerance. In this series, it's mostly assisting Helper T cell.
CV: Saori Hayami

Also appearing:
Eosinophil, Dendritic cell, Memory cell, Mast cell, B cell

The manga is currently published in English by Kodansha comics and is currently being streamed by Crunchyroll.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This show is incredibly cute. After Red Blood Cell starts waving her hand in imitation of the bacteria's claws, the Platelet beside her starts copying her.

The character designs are great, and the animation has a lot of enthusiasm to it. I'm on board.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Platelets a cute, Natural Killer Cell is best girl

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I like the thread title as is! :shobon:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought the first episode was pretty fun, the platelets are super cute and I hope they get lots of scenes :3:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I feel like every episode is going to result in me looking up all the new terms on Wikipedia.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This show seems like everyone is having a lot of fun in the production and its infectious

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Something I just learned is that there's a recently started spinoff called Cells at Work: Black, which seems to have the main two roles gender swapped and i guess is also more hardcore.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Cells at Work is very cute, I really like how the main characters sing the opening.

I'm deeply tired of people calling it "anime Osmosis Jones"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cells at Work is basically better in every aspect.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.
Watching this reminds me at least in concept of a cartoon I remember from years ago (there was a magazine that accompanied it in the UK) called once upon time... life. I think there was a full tv series too but I'm not sure and having trouble finding evidence of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6G986lpag

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there also an edutainment SNES video game about chain-smoking being bad for you or some such?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

El Burbo posted:

Something I just learned is that there's a recently started spinoff called Cells at Work: Black, which seems to have the main two roles gender swapped and i guess is also more hardcore.

now this i can get into

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Cells at Work is basically better in every aspect.

Really different intentions, Osmosis Jones was a buddy cop deal with the body facts being played with fast and loose. Cells at Work (from what I'd read in the manga) is more of an edutainment deal that plays body facts as straight as possible and given it's overall length is more of a sitcom styled story. I like both really and have been looking forward to this anime. Gotta sit down with the first episode soon.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

now this i can get into

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agamembar posted:

Watching this reminds me at least in concept of a cartoon I remember from years ago (there was a magazine that accompanied it in the UK) called once upon time... life. I think there was a full tv series too but I'm not sure and having trouble finding evidence of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6G986lpag

Multiple media(books, enciclopedias, vhs specials), can confirm the tv series. It was french ("Il était une fois... la Vie") and it's pretty much the basis of every kid education in my generation(current 30-35 age bracket) here in :italy: where it was known as "Siamo fatti così"(tv series) or "Esplorando il corpo umano"(VHS w/ enciclyopedia in tow). As a matter of fact most of my friends called hataraku a clone of "siamo fatti così" and osmosis jones never came into mind since everyone knows the French series as a generational cornerstone(and osmosis jones was mostly ignored since it was considered by most people a second rate clone of the french series when it came out).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 8, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Looks like the true waifu/husbando was inside us all along. :unsmith:

But seriously, this show is great. I really like how they chose to portray the different cells and places and what they all do, and I'm looking forward to what other bodily hijinks we'll be getting into.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Not gonna lie - I wasn't really sold on the whole thing throughout, but Sneeze 1 was an absolute god-tier level joke, holy poo poo

I'm digging all the edutainment in there as well. I'm gonna see if I can get any of my microbiologist buddies to check this out, that should be entertaining (the amount of microbiologists who are way too much into anime is truly staggering).

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

*deeply nodding*

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't there also an edutainment SNES video game about chain-smoking being bad for you or some such?

Rex Ronan, Experimental Surgeon, yes.

It wasn't very good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Not gonna lie - I wasn't really sold on the whole thing throughout, but Sneeze 1 was an absolute god-tier level joke, holy poo poo

I'm digging all the edutainment in there as well. I'm gonna see if I can get any of my microbiologist buddies to check this out, that should be entertaining (the amount of microbiologists who are way too much into anime is truly staggering).

Moyashimon is also really good and I wish I could've gotten some merch when I had the chance. An A. Oryzae plush would've been good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I ship the regulatory T cell with the denritic cell

Also the neutrophil will be dead by next week

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also neutrophils have this trick where they vomit out their dna in giant sticky ropes to trap and kill bacteria (it will not survive the process)

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I'm awaiting the absolute mountain of Cancer fanart that will come out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's a few more spinoffs too other than the Cells At Work Black one

There's Cells that don't Work

and Bacteria At Work

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dang this is a whole extended universe here

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Good first ep. The manga caught me by surprise when I saw it on the shelves with how entertaining and engaging it was, so I'm looking forward to revisiting all these adventures!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I wish they were animating this

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Now I wish they were animating this

How many chapters/volumes are there? Maybe as an OVA.

As a reference, Hataraku Saibou has 5 volumes out iirc and vol. 6 should be soon. It's a monthly series and each volume has 5-6 chapters. There's already just enough material to make it two seasons if they wanted.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The opening is super cute and catchy, and the episode was hilarious. Off to a good start!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Platelets are extremely adorable, perhaps too adorable

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
If it makes you feel better/worse the platelets are extremely dumb and may/will kill you later in life. But I'm sure they'll look adorable while doing so :kimchi:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Platelets are extremely adorable, perhaps too adorable

Next episode is gonna feature the Platelets doing one of their most important jobs.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Once upon a time... anime

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Nine of Eight posted:

If it makes you feel better/worse the platelets are extremely dumb and may/will kill you later in life. But I'm sure they'll look adorable while doing so :kimchi:
honestly i'd probably be okay with this

edit: and if i'm going down this way then it'd have to be the dot-eyes distant shot versions

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 10, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xelkelvos posted:

Next episode is gonna feature the Platelets doing one of their most important jobs.

Plugging holes with their bodies?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Xelkelvos posted:

Thrombosis and embolisms? Curse my family's high platelet count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What day does this air again?

Also, massive, massive props to saying that pneumococcus can cause meningitis.

(Also don't look up meningitis while you're at it. It's loving scary)