Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

- It costs money to put things in the vault, it's free to take them out. So, if you find some gear that looks like it'd be great for a class you want to try later, stick it on in and guarantee yourself an easier start for next time.
- Escaping from some elite enemies can be difficult. It takes 12 turns for a town portal to open after triggering the skill. If you think you might be in over your head, hit the portal button sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a tip I think could be very important to any Endless Legend newbie that's as dumb as a certain someone who shall not be na-okay it's me:

- The game-length you pick affects the production cost of improvements/units/etc'

So say you're just starting to play and decided to go for Endless-length (600 turns) games to mess around in, but then keep thinking to yourself 'man, it takes forever to build anything! I'd say maybe twice as long as it should!', then yeah, just play on Normal-length.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

We require more vespene game. I mean tips for Kholat (no idea where to start the game) and tips for Infectionators: Survivors.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Any tips for Sheltered?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know it just came out a few days ago but i feel that 6 Ages is just so much harder of a game in general than King of Dragon Pass ever was. It's really hard to keep food in good supply AND keep people happy AND have lots of money.

Unless of course you fine folks have some advice :D

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

absolver is an interesting game and is a ps+ this month. Give me your tips

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm finally playing Tyranny, and I recommend turning off the indicators that tell you the disposition results [gain wrath/fear/loyalty etc] of your dialogue options for your first playthrough. First of all, there's a lot of goddamn dialogue options in this game, and you only slow yourself down if you try to metagame every single conversation, but also, it seems like this is a game of cause and effect, and it's more satisfying so far if you make your choices first and learn what happens later.

This is subejctive, of course, but I'm noticeably enjoying myself a lot more now that I've turned that option off.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 4, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

1redflag posted:

The best thing to angle for with your move deck is that you should be able to pick between a light and heavy attack at every opportunity. Some moves are better than others but you’re better off experimenting.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It seems pretty straightforward, but anything for Northgard?

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

1redflag posted:

Have a move that goes under high attacks like a sweep so you've got an answer for people spamming jabs.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Sundance Shot posted:

Have a move that goes under high attacks like a sweep so you've got an answer for people spamming jabs.

I have at least a sweep and maybe another move that goes low like that.

I also set up my moves so they flow through the stances, right now the regular attacks go through 3, and the other one has a strong attack that I can get to by using the alternate attacks that cycle through the stances in a different order from the regular attacks.

I'm not sure if this is a good strategy per say but it's been working out fairly well so far against AI fighters and the one twat that attacked me immediately when I entered that main chamber after the tutorial area.

I've been finding it difficult to learn moves, like does it just take forever or is there a way to learn them faster than just using your special defensive move (I went with Avoid)? Like I know blocking the moves works but it's slower, not sure if dodging does or if there's something faster like doing a counter to it, say the sweep on a high punch.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

MockingQuantum posted:

It seems pretty straightforward, but anything for Northgard?

Expand, but don't do it too much too early, or you'll have pissy vikings. You can fight at the edge of a zone and dodge out. Fights do not cross zone lines. Healers only heal if you are in your territory. Food is extremely important. It can be worth it to generate much more than you think you'll need, due to nasty events, and possible trade routes later. You will rarely have enough stone or iron to upgrade everything you want, so focus on what you think will be the most important. If you're fighting against Clan Raven, guard your coastline or you are straight up hosed.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything for Nioh beyond what's in the wiki? It's throwing a lot of stuff at me right from the beginning, which seems fine for the Souls-like game I take it to be. But I have so many consumables whose use is unclear and I keeping getting destroyed whenever more than one guy attacks me at the same time. Also, I sort of picked starting weapons at random -- how much does your selection of two weapons to specialize in matter?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Gonna start playing Hat in Time soon. Now I'm pretty sure it's not a game that requires a whole lot of forethought, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything for Nioh beyond what's in the wiki? It's throwing a lot of stuff at me right from the beginning, which seems fine for the Souls-like game I take it to be. But I have so many consumables whose use is unclear and I keeping getting destroyed whenever more than one guy attacks me at the same time. Also, I sort of picked starting weapons at random -- how much does your selection of two weapons to specialize in matter?

The only consumable thing I can think of that it doesn't really explain is that if you use the spirit stones (that give you Amrita/exp) while in the world rather than just at a shrine, they also fill your spirit gauge so you can use your super attack. You're obviously risking all those souls you just popped if you die, but it lets you build meter in situations where you otherwise normally wouldn't be able to.

As for your starting weapons, it affects which two stats you get a +1 bonus in at the start of the game (which is nice at the start but you're going to be bumping all your stats at least a little anyway), and which two weapons you're guaranteed to get a lovely version of in the first stage. You'll find your first choice on the first body on the beach and the second in a field about halfway through. Beyond that, it affects nothing, so feel free to use whatever weapon you want. You're not locked in based on your starting choice, and stats are what determines how effectively you use a weapon in the long run as it is.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Brightman posted:

I also set up my moves so they flow through the stances, right now the regular attacks go through 3, and the other one has a strong attack that I can get to by using the alternate attacks that cycle through the stances in a different order from the regular attacks.

So I managed to find and join the school that teaches the Stagger Style (drunken kung fu) and when using that the deck is locked and you learn the moves by using them and they were setup like I described here except flowing through all the stances, although I forget if the alternate attacks went the other way or just kept going in the same pattern as the regular attacks.

Also I beat the story...apparently Absolver is really short, there's still some decent pvp and combat challenges and stuff I guess but I really didn't expect to be done with the "campaign" in like 4 or 5 hours.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Anything for The Evil Within 2 besides what's in the wiki? (I never played the first game)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Morpheus posted:

Gonna start playing Hat in Time soon. Now I'm pretty sure it's not a game that requires a whole lot of forethought, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

I genuinely cannot think of a single thing that isn't easily figured out or definitively spelled out for you in game. It's just a friendly platformer.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Anything for Two World's II? I never played the first one

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Here's a random tip I found from a speed runner that I wish I had known when I started playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

After you complete a shrine and accept the spirit orb, wait until the moment the camera starts to pan out, then go ahead and press skip. The overworld will load much much faster!

Damonic fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 8, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
the before I play wiki is down :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

skooma512 posted:

Seems to be loading fine for me now, so if it was down it must have been temporary. :toot:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Not sure how long it was down for, but there wasn't any maintenance scheduled or anything - not sure what caused it.

Edit: Also I checked out the stats for June and saw some links from a Reddit thread, so I went there and saw people suggesting that tips be changed, but they couldn't edit the pages. I changed them, even though they were suggested 8 months ago. Feels good.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 8, 2018

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I kinda like that only a handful of people can edit it. I feel it helps keep the wiki a quality resource.

Does anyone have anything helpful for The Escapists besides don't try to blitz through it. I realized my previous trouble with it was all down to my trying to rush through (having an achievement for escaping on day one was why) but I'm sure there are other things people have figured out that would be helpful. For instance if you craft together a lighter and a plastic knife (I THINK I used a knife it might have been a plastic spoon) you get molten plastic which is contraband. Also you can cut through a ceiling vent with a plastic knife though it takes 3 or 4 knives and I don't know if they cafeteria can run out of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

juliuspringle posted:

I kinda like that only a handful of people can edit it. I feel it helps keep the wiki a quality resource.
Agreed. Giving someone editing privileges is trusting them not just to edit responsibly, but to also share responsibly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
:same:

But you should totally give me editing privileges.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy: Dimensions
  • You do not get enough JP to level all your classes to the maximum just as part of the story, you realistically can only get about 4 max level jobs per character with some loose levels on top so dont spread levels around.
  • Jobs tend to get a great capstone skill at 20, for ninjas its dual weild and for black mages its a flat 50% boost to magic damage. Therefore for the most part if you start a job plan to max it.
  • Despite introducing tails and fangs very early you cant do anything with or about them until chapter 4, and theyre basically end game sidequest grinding at that.
  • In every single section where you switch between the groups and are working towards unlocking a new job, there is a bonus dungeon with a summon at the end. These dungeons tend to be trickier than the final plot dungeon of that area but have commesurate rewards. You can go back to do them if you missed them but its better to just hold off on beating that section of the game until you beat them.
  • The game only tells you what the condition for unlocking an F-ability is after youve unlocked it, making that completely useless. Add in that F-abilities are random triggers even if you have both abilities so its not a guarantee of learning them and have limited job points you have a system where youre probably best off looking up what they are.
  • You dont need F-abilities to beat the game or most postgame content but some are absurdly good and not having them if you plan to fight the superbosses who guard more job points is not the best plan.
  • when the two parties merge people not in your active roster may not be getting xp or ap but their healing magic works just fine so use that to power through dungeons.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
any tips for Chess? I'm really bad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Odd posted:

* the more you play, the better you'll become
* like sun tzu says, you learn more when you lose, than you do when you win
* when you get high, sometimes play chess against the AI
* chess is a skill, but it isn't marketable.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Odd posted:

I enjoyed reading books about tactics as a way to get into Chess, but this is probably a good thread to start in, and the folks there probably have a lot of good ideas:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The Disgaea page has some duplicate and somewhat contradictory bullet points so I had a go at merging and tidying them up. I also split them into general and item world/transmigration tips as there was some debate whether a first time player needs to worry about the latter. Also I expanded one or two points I thought could be clearer.

General
  • Make sure Laharl learns to heal himself (and pals). Do this by making a Cleric pupil for him and have them stand right next to each other, this allows Laharl to access all the cleric's spells. If he uses the spell enough times while standing next to the pupil, it will level up and he will be able to use it on his own.
  • You can, and probably should, just focus on Laharl for the main game. When equipped with your best gear and levelled properly, he can tear through anything the game throws your way.
  • For the most part don't bother with the item world or transmigration until you start doing the bonus dungeons and have beaten the main story. The exception is getting one item to level 10 for story progression. Buy the cheapest consumable and breeze through it, you only need to kill the boss on floor 10. Skip the rest if you wish.
  • Anyone can steal, provided they use a stealing hand item. However almost everyone is absolutely DREADFUL at it. Except Rogues! Keep one good and levelled up to steal things; as the chance to steal an item is reliant on the level of the person using a steal hand, and the steal hand's accuracy.
  • Capturing monster classes (and their items) can be useful, if you have lots of disposable guys in your summoning panel. Reduce their HP before throwing them in there for the non summoned units to beat up.
  • If the enemy is more than a turn away from your base panel, try bringing out an unwanted character to lure them in, then once they're within range, have your main team pop out and alpha strike them.
  • Learn to cancel moves to your advantage. Assemble your fighters into a T formation to do a team attack then cancel the moves of the three who didn't attack and form another T to get another team attack.
  • In dealing with narrow passages blocked by an enemy, you can lift that enemy up with one character, send whoever you want through, then cancel the first character's move. It's like rewinding time selectively.
  • You can throw diagonally. Just hit the confirm button as you're changing directions.
  • (Does this only apply to the DS version? Wiki says she's only in DS and PC and you just start with her in the PC version)When you first fight MidBoss lose to him on purpose. You will be allowed to make a second cycle, and from there you will be able to get Pleinair (the NPC with the blue hair and white dress). She is an extra character, a really drat good one. Her Speed allows her to dodge almost everything if she's the same level as the target. You can give her fist weapons and she'll pretty much solo the game.
  • First time through the main story you can ignore trying to pass bills that aren’t about unlocking items.
  • Don't worry too much about stat aptitudes. But be sure to give your characters weapons they are proficient with.
  • Try to do regular attacks from the side or behind as these do more damage.
  • Try to take advantage of techniques that reposition the user or target. Most fist specials will move the target, while most spear specials will move the user.
  • Generally speaking equip gear that further enhances your units strengths, but if you want your spell casters to be slightly less squishy it’s not the worst idea to throw some muscles on them.
  • Level on maps that have lots of Exp squares or have multiple enemies that can be killed very quickly from the start.
  • The stores reload their inventory every time you go into the menu so keep going in and out until you find what you want.
  • Try to avoid creating new characters at good for nothing and aim for at least average. It's also not worth it to create at distinguished or genius, because of the mana cost and requirement to pass bills at the Dark Assembly.
Item World/Transmigration
  • If you don’t mind a little grinding and want some slightly more powerful backup for Laharl then the item world can be useful. Look for bonuses that give exp, as these affect everyone out on the field when the battle is won (note that you have to defeat all the enemies to get the bonus, using the portal to go to the next level won’t give you any bonuses you’ve earned). It's a great way to keep your healer(s) levelled. Look up some geo panel guides if you’re having trouble, there are a couple of reliable strategies.
  • To get Mr. Gency's Exit items for the item world, buy the cheapest item you can, like fairy dusts. The enemies will be a joke, and you can stock up on Exits just by reaching levels 10, 20 etc. It's a good idea to have several exits in your inventory.
  • If you just want to improve an items base stats you only need to kill the tenth floor leaders of Item Worlds to get a large bonus increase. You can skip the rest if you’re not bothered by taming specialists or getting bonuses.
  • To get through the item world quickly, have your characters pick each other up in a chain until you have a giant tower, then just throw over and over till you reach the exit.
  • Fists moves Gatekeepers off of the panels and giving your Fist users three shoes, is very efficient.
  • When making powerful classes (above average), transmigrate instead of creating from scratch. That way you don't need to get approval from the senate. Requires promoting the unit to rank 3.
  • Transmigration lets you start a character over at level one. If they belong to a generic class, you can change their class as part of this process. A good time to do this is when your character is pretty high in level, and you can afford to do it at "Genius" level. This will give you the highest possible stats to start out with. The higher a stat is at level one, the faster it will grow, which lets your character get stupidly powerful fast.

Does anyone know more about the bit I bolded?

e: vv yeah that seems reasonable

Overminty fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 10, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe change the line about the character molesting everything in the game

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I got a bunch of emails, and I assumed there'd be a post in this thread about it, but: Someone changed a few page titles so that their entry in the Games List is sorted by a number, rather than a Roman numeral.

That is, the sorting is done according to "Dragon Quest 8", rather than "Dragon Quest VIII".

This doesn't affect how the title is displayed in the list - it still says "Dragon Quest VIII", so I think I'm fine with this idea. I also think if it's NOT done it's not a huge issue, since the games will be in the correct area of the Games List as long as the start of the name is similar.

One thing I will say is that ideally the title will still be accurate even with the number replaced - "Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky" was left as "Dragon Quest 9", despite the full title not affecting the ordering.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Do you seriously need to know all that poo poo before you play Disgaea? The wiki for that game is basically GameFAQs at this point

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

shits.ridic posted:

Do you seriously need to know all that poo poo before you play Disgaea? The wiki for that game is basically GameFAQs at this point

There's a fine line between "before I play" and "how do I break."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bruceski posted:

There's a fine line between "before I play" and "how do I break."

Especially with Disgaea. The game can take ten years to finish or only five, depending on your grinding/minmax tolerance.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Centipeed posted:

I got a bunch of emails, and I assumed there'd be a post in this thread about it, but: Someone changed a few page titles so that their entry in the Games List is sorted by a number, rather than a Roman numeral.

That is, the sorting is done according to "Dragon Quest 8", rather than "Dragon Quest VIII".

This doesn't affect how the title is displayed in the list - it still says "Dragon Quest VIII", so I think I'm fine with this idea. I also think if it's NOT done it's not a huge issue, since the games will be in the correct area of the Games List as long as the start of the name is similar.

One thing I will say is that ideally the title will still be accurate even with the number replaced - "Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky" was left as "Dragon Quest 9", despite the full title not affecting the ordering.

Yeah, if there was a way for me to add comments on changes retroactively I would have done that. I mainly did it in certain cases where it where titles were out of order which was often due to roman numerals. So I didn't rename the games, just the name of it in the index.

And some games were out of order because they switch to/from roman numeral and then to arabic numerals e.g. Silent Hunter went II, III, 4, then 5.

And sometimes in a series the first game would appear at the end like Disgaea.

So I didn't displace any game, just tried to put them in order where applicable which would only be noticeable to someone scrolling down the list instead of just searching for a specific game (like me, a pedantic rear end in a top hat.).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

shits.ridic posted:

I took the axe to the Persona 3 and 4, and Final Fantasy Tactics pages for the same reason. But not knowing Disgaea I don't know how to cut it down to the necessary.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PMush Perfect posted:

I took the axe to the Persona 3 and 4, and Final Fantasy Tactics pages for the same reason. But not knowing Disgaea I don't know how to cut it down to the necessary.

Thats the thing about Disgaea. All of that is necessary... Or none of that is necessary. There is no real line or single bullet point that doesnt hang. The game is pretty good about not forcing you to go into crazy town for main plot progression, maybe make the first bullet

• This game series is loving nuts. None of this matters if you want to see anime hell characters be mean to penguins... but the true Disgaea starts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Counterargument: People said that about Persona, too, and that was just fluffy words around erasing the line between "here's what you really need to know" and "Allow me to disembowel your sense of discovery and put sticky labels on the entrails. You're welcome."