Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

I've kinda kicked an idea around in my head that Side Control is probably the most dominant position when you have no striking and both parties know how to roll, because you can control the attachment to your opponent either switching to loose or tight when you need it and switching to either side of the body to maintain control, while on mount and back you're pretty much stuck to your opponent regardless of if your opponent has gotten "control" and started working an escape. This vaguely kinda jive with anything you or Yuns have experienced?

See: Demetrious Johnson getting side control on everyone he takes down and rarely getting reversed. When people do get up it's usually at great expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

I've kinda kicked an idea around in my head that Side Control is probably the most dominant position when you have no striking and both parties know how to roll, because you can control the attachment to your opponent either switching to loose or tight when you need it and switching to either side of the body to maintain control, while on mount and back you're pretty much stuck to your opponent regardless of if your opponent has gotten "control" and started working an escape. This vaguely kinda jive with anything you or Yuns have experienced?

I prefer side control and have some sneaky chokes from there but I still prefer to go for the North South - Paper Cutter - Arm Bar transition. Also, I have really absurdly good results with the elbow push escape from bottom side.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I 100% prefer back control no matter what. I think I prefer front headlock to side control, as well.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I also feel most comfortable in side control, but most of my submission wins are from the back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Most of my sub wins in competition are from knee on belly, with my opponent trying to post to create distance and getting armbarred. And I don't even like armbars and rarely do them in practice.

I've gotten a few scissor armbars from scarf as well.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

In Japanese, the Kimura, americana, and probably the key lock straight arm bar, are all "ude garami" so likely it's something related to that.

I'm guessing that the Koreans (Coreans) are probably not big on using the Japanese terms.

They use japanese terms every now and then but yeah it's mostly the English terms they throw out. Probably because that's what they're being taught from the head guy John Frankl.

Also my highest percentage finnish at the moment is Ezekial. I really need to work on setting up other stuff better. I can sneak in an armbar if I'm planning it but I for some reason end up in top position a lot and the ezekial is just always there undefended.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 9, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Think I fractured something in my wrist last night, got flung forward while I was in mount and heard it crunch when I posted. Now it's pretty tender but not sharply painful, and my grip strength is about 50%. I think it's one of the little bones, not a finger bone in the palm.

I guess I won't roll, but I'll tape it and try to drill. Sucks that my blue belt probably isn't very far away, and I was thinking I might compete once before I got it.

Doesn't feel bad enough to go to a doctor, but I might just go to find out exactly what's wrong. I'm guessing like when I snapped my sternum in a car accident there's nothing much to be done about it except waiting, it's well supported by the rest of the bones and ligaments around it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Oh yeah, I wanted to say - not every roll after class is life or death. I was trying to be chill so I could also do the next class, but my partner, a newish guy, was going a bit ham. I don't blame him for me getting hurt, but it's definitely better when you're not trying to kill each other unless you agree to.

My fault for not telling him outright to take it easy, I did with my other partners before him, I just stupidly assumed it would be okay with him because he was a bit of a wet noodle when I rolled with him a few months ago.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

New people always go hard. Train accordingly.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JaySB posted:

New people always go hard. Train accordingly.

Yeah, lesson learnt

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

starkebn posted:

Yeah, lesson learnt

Sorry about your hand. Basically sounds like what happened to mine courtesy of a wrist lock.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah, as a relatively new guy, control can be really hard.

For one thing, you dont really have a clear sense of how to go less than 100% You dont have the context to know how to manage your energy or effort.

Secondly, you sort of instinctively want to supplement your lack of skill with higher exertion.

Finally, moments of offense are so rare you sort of panic and lose your composure because you are so excited to actually have an opening

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'll give it a shot but I usually use my legs to control the other arm when I go for it. Can try to lock in the hold and then make the transition into n/s

You only need one shin to control that other arm. You can step the top leg over and move around to north/south while keeping it pinned.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Defenestrategy posted:

Top side control is an excellent controlling position that feels better to the less experienced grappler because it gives the top person more mobility but back control is better and more dominant for the more experienced grappler. I can switch anywhere from back as well.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, as a relatively new guy, control can be really hard.

For one thing, you dont really have a clear sense of how to go less than 100% You dont have the context to know how to manage your energy or effort.

Secondly, you sort of instinctively want to supplement your lack of skill with higher exertion.

Finally, moments of offense are so rare you sort of panic and lose your composure because you are so excited to actually have an opening
I was rolling with a kid today and wanted to tell him, "Doing the wrong thing twice as hard and twice as fast, doesn't make it the right thing."

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 10, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

Top side control is an excellent controlling position that feels better to the less experienced grappler because it gives the top person more mobility but back control is better and more dominant for the more experienced grappler. I can switch anywhere from back as well.

Actually, side control is better because you can't win by pin from the back :colbert:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually, side control is better because you can't win by pin from the back :colbert:
True true.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

Oh yeah, I wanted to say - not every roll after class is life or death. I was trying to be chill so I could also do the next class, but my partner, a newish guy, was going a bit ham. I don't blame him for me getting hurt, but it's definitely better when you're not trying to kill each other unless you agree to.

My fault for not telling him outright to take it easy, I did with my other partners before him, I just stupidly assumed it would be okay with him because he was a bit of a wet noodle when I rolled with him a few months ago.

This happened to me last week. Pinky went 45 degrees the wrong way and back because a guy tried super hard to pass my open guard and welp, now I cant grip much of anything. Sometimes I just wanna roll all chilled out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

As we get older (and thus more fragile), we have the exciting luxury of being able to choose our training partners.

One of the bigest things that Roy harris espouses in his BJJ after 40 is that you have to be super picky with your partners (if nothing more to save your own hide from spazzes).

It is a hard lesson to learn, because nobody wants to actively duck people in the gym. But then you roll a spaz and are out of commission for a few weeks, so...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If I get stuck rolling with a spaz, I'll typically just pull them into half guard and casually wait out the round or sweep to side control and stay there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of injuries, any recommendations for lower back pain after rolling? I picked up some stretches that help a lot, but was wondering if anyone else had any recs.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Has any one tried rolling high?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Has any one tried rolling high?

Go for a gentle background buzz rather than getting completely stoned. Some people it works great for, others it just doesn't work.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm already picky about my training partners at 36. There are days where I will roll with the spazzes - because I know the spazzes have something to learn from me - but I treat those as my "hard sparring" days. There's one spazzy dude who was a blue belt when I started and who has a tendency towards diving into poo poo and hurting people (our nickname for him is his first name + Harris). He shows up only intermittently and one of my coaches says that he can measure my progress based on how the rolls against that guy go. Last time we rolled (6 months ago?), Harris and I went about 1-1 for subs in a 5 minute round, but apparently was exerting himself like he was fighting for gold in the overtime of an EBI tournament, and I looked like I was having high tea with the Queen. Rolling with him has taught me how to reduce the damage that spazzy people can do.

I have several training partners who smell faintly of weed on the mat like 1/3 of the time. I have another one who used to smell like french fries and vinegar but then he stopped washing his rash guards with vinegar. Now he often smells like french fries and bbq.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

we have a dude at our gym who randomly goes on several week spirit journeys and are instructor once randomly found him living homeless in Ireland while on a trip

I feel like when he would know

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I did a trial class yesterday.

I trained a bit a few months ago, but before that it was years, so I'm really out of practice and shape.

The place was tiny, the class was only 4 people, but the purple belt instructor was nice and knowledgeable. We did triangles from z-guard (I'd never done that position before). He was great to roll with, and just destroyed me. He'd go for a kimura grip from seemingly anywhere and when I defended the armlock he'd take my back. I felt like a stupid weak baby trying to pass his guard.

Funny you guys were just talking about Von Flue. I remembered the name finally today, as I was telling my training partner about it yesterday. He ended up getting Von Flue'd by the instructor for doing the wrestlers thing of holding a headlock while in bottom side.

My neck is so loving sore today from having that wrestler guy headlock me from everywhere, jesus.

In conclusion, BJJ is good.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of injuries, any recommendations for lower back pain after rolling? I picked up some stretches that help a lot, but was wondering if anyone else had any recs.

Strength training. I only get lower back pain from BJJ if I've been slacking on deadlifts. Some people also swear by reverse hyperextensions, but the machine for that is a little uncommon.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

old.flv posted:

I wish there was a better way to track seminars. If feels like it's just word of mouth and facebook.

I found out about this one because I follow Richie Martinez on Instagram.

Honestly, this was one of the best seminars I have ever been to. Through each one of the instructors you kind of got a feel for how they approach their game. Each taught for about 2 hours and the lineup included the Martinez brothers, Eduardo Telles, Keenan Cornelius, Yuri Simoes, Jean Jacques Machado, Vinny Magahales and BenEddy/Jeremiah Vance and Kevin Berberich.

Its been hot as gently caress in San Diego and Jean Jacques taught for 3 hours and dropped knowledge every 20 minutes in 110 degree heat. Its also the session where I feel I got the most out of how I play, plus just general concepts that were reinforced. He basically showed a way to guarantee that you get an Americana from mount if your opponent is defending.

Amazing seminar. Ill definitely go next year too.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone train at Combat Sports Boston?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Popping advil like candy today. I had a sore neck already and had a guy drop his full weight onto my head today. Normal people's risk of having a big man sit on their head is 0%. It's hard to even explain this injury to a non grappler.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Drewjitsu posted:

As we get older (and thus more fragile), we have the exciting luxury of being able to choose our training partners.

One of the bigest things that Roy harris espouses in his BJJ after 40 is that you have to be super picky with your partners (if nothing more to save your own hide from spazzes).

It is a hard lesson to learn, because nobody wants to actively duck people in the gym. But then you roll a spaz and are out of commission for a few weeks, so...
I never turn anyone down because I feel as a black belt I should be able to handle things no matter how big or spazzy someone is. But luckily as a black belt I have the privilege of choosing first so I generally roll with black and brown belts. I do end up rolling a lot with huge guys when other people duck them. We have one European MMA fighter who is 6'5" and 300+ and people will duck him so I've offered to roll with him whenever he doesn't have a partner. Then again in support of Roy's position, my body is wrecked.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How big are you in comparison?

I'm 90kg at the moment (my heaviest weoght ever :( ) and last week I had to roll with a guy who was 100+kg who was also brand new. It felt like death from bottom position until I was able to "sweep" him, if you could even call it a sweep. Also didnt help I basically have one hand to grip the gi with at the moment.

Also quick reminder, UFC Fight Pass has Polaris 7 and Quintet 2 this and next week. Dates and links are in the Fight Pass thread.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Count Roland posted:

I did a trial class yesterday.

I trained a bit a few months ago, but before that it was years, so I'm really out of practice and shape.

The place was tiny, the class was only 4 people, but the purple belt instructor was nice and knowledgeable. We did triangles from z-guard (I'd never done that position before). He was great to roll with, and just destroyed me. He'd go for a kimura grip from seemingly anywhere and when I defended the armlock he'd take my back. I felt like a stupid weak baby trying to pass his guard.

Funny you guys were just talking about Von Flue. I remembered the name finally today, as I was telling my training partner about it yesterday. He ended up getting Von Flue'd by the instructor for doing the wrestlers thing of holding a headlock while in bottom side.

My neck is so loving sore today from having that wrestler guy headlock me from everywhere, jesus.

In conclusion, BJJ is good.

Congrats on jumping back on the horse. That sounds like a perfect class for learning! No big egos in front of forty people, just four newbies and a purple.

Icy/Hot neck packs work for a sore neck. :)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mekchu posted:

How big are you in comparison?
Last year I was 240 lbs (109 kg). I am currently 192 lbs (87 kg). I am trying to get to single digit bodyfat.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah gotcha. I was 187 when I moved to korea in 2016. Now I'm close to 195lbs and have a good bit of fat (last i checked 20% BF in 2016/2017) thanks to being depressed/stressed due to this current school. As well as just general lovely diet which im cleaning up a bit.

Goal for end of the year is 185 walking which I'm slowly making progress on.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Rolling while high is fine and good so long as you're cool with people out pacing you, and likely not performing to your maximum ability. I find I get less exhausted when I've smoked before class but that's probably just me exerting myself less.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I just rolled for my first time in 7 months and got loving smashed

:feelsgood:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You dudes are all huge

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm 150 lbs and I try not to roll with huge people but when I do I spend 80% of the roll whining at them that they're going too hard

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I roll casually with a former college football player who is like 6'3 260 blue belt. It's really annoying when he decides to just lay on me in side control or north south cause I am trash and don't know what to do. I'm a legit white belt. I just work on maintaining my frame and not getting subbed. Ocasionally attempting to hit an armbar or guillotine. Literally all I got.

E: I'm 5'11, 187 walking but I'm a former athlete and am in shape.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

We don't have a lot of super large people, but it's often easier for me to give up size. I'm 170 and the 200+ dudes that I encounter don't move that fast. Some of the 145, 150 guys are just spinning and flipping and squirming with speed and endless stamina. That poo poo is exhausting. I'm used to getting smashed by now. It's not so bad. Trying to keep up with the small guys is worse.