Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

exploded mummy posted:

an at bat is defined as a plate appearance that does not result in a walk, hit by pitch, defensive interference, or sacrifice

:saddowns:

I should have known that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

:saddowns:

I should have known that was it.

your homework is to go and figure out what an earned run is

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

exploded mummy posted:

your homework is to go and figure out what an earned run is

I mean, I knew the difference between a PA and an AB, I just didn't think to look at how big the gap was between Judge and Stanton.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lumpy posted:

He should emulate the guy leading the Yankees in hits.

Hits is a relatively meaningless stat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Hits is a relatively meaningless stat.

How do you feel about wRC+? OPS+?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hits are an ok stat in the sense that home runs are hits.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

How do you feel about wRC+? OPS+?

Better than hits... I'm not arguing that Stanton is having a bad year.. He's not, he's been fine. I'm just commenting on the optics of some of his AB's that are a bit rough.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hits are an ok stat in the sense that home runs are hits.

But since Triples are harder to hit than HRs, does this mean Triples are better than dingers? If so, would we even want to live in that world?

mcmagic posted:

Better than hits... I'm not arguing that Stanton is having a bad year.. He's not, he's been fine. I'm just commenting on the optics of some of his AB's that are a bit rough.

They should move him in the order so the guys in front of him have lower OBPs to lower his GIDP rate. Make it happen Boone.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Lumpy posted:

But since Triples are harder to hit than HRs, does this mean Triples are better than dingers? If so, would we even want to live in that world?

Triples ARE pretty cool.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Make the Triple count as a run, and then if the hitter crosses the plate it's another run on top of it.

CALL ME, ROBERT MANFRED.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Make the Triple count as a run, and then if the hitter crosses the plate it's another run on top of it.

CALL ME, ROBERT MANFRED.

Make a fancy chart showing it will improve the Pace of Play™ and it's a done deal.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Triples ARE pretty cool.

They're no Home Run

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

They're no Home Run

Three-run homers are the triples of home runs. Grand slams are, of course, the home runs of home runs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Three-run homers are the triples of home runs. Grand slams are, of course, the home runs of home runs.

*nods sagely*

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Now we just need someone to hit four grand slams in a game

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees have 4 guys hitting under 200 in the lineup today. Yeesh.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees have 4 guys hitting under 200 in the lineup today. Yeesh.

True, though the Orioles are hitting .227 as a team lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

True, though the Orioles are hitting .227 as a team lol

The Orioles aren't great. That is true. And the Yankees have 13 games left with them.

Going 3-4 against the worst team by far in baseball isn't how they are going to win this division.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 10, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Fuckin' O's and the Rays, eh?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees are 10-12 against the Orioles, Tigers, Marlins, Rangers and Rays. Boston does not give games away to awful teams like the Yankees do.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Didi starting the day off clutch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What the gently caress was that? Since May 1 Didi has been a miserable player. That will also need to change if they are going to win the division.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 10, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

What the gently caress was that? Since May 1 Didi has been a miserable player. That will also need to change if they are going to win the division.

He had a pretty good June, I dunno why people ignored that.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Inspector_666 posted:

He had a pretty good June, I dunno why people ignored that.

Yeah he really turned around most of the month. The bigger issue with his bat seems to be he's not really hitting lefties.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey, good job Cessa!

Man, Gallegos isn't very good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I really hope they don't trade for Machado.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

I really hope they don't trade for Machado.

There's no way the Yankees are serious about Machado. He doesn't want to play 3B, and there's no way the Yankees are going to start him at SS over Didi.

I assume it's just the O's trying to drive up his price.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

There's no way the Yankees are serious about Machado. He doesn't want to play 3B, and there's no way the Yankees are going to start him at SS over Didi.

I assume it's just the O's trying to drive up his price.

Or the Yankees trying to drive up his price for any other AL contender who is interested. That's my guess, because that trade makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I don't believe for a second there's any chance we trade for him.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I am not interested in Machado at all as a SS

Trade for fourteen pitchers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm confused by Machado's continued insistence that he only play SS because he seems way better at 3B (but not even in a "He's a bad SS" so much as "He's an otherworldly 3B") and it seems like he's just driving his own value down.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm confused by Machado's continued insistence that he only play SS because he seems way better at 3B (but not even in a "He's a bad SS" so much as "He's an otherworldly 3B") and it seems like he's just driving his own value down.

I really like playing short stop is probably the thing

Like Jeter

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Trade for Zach Britton please, the 2016 model

We'll actually use him in the wildcard game!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

I really like playing short stop is probably the thing

Like Jeter

Yeah, I mean, he can do what he wants and I don't want to come off as a tut-tuting "SURPLUS VALUE!" flogger here, it's just weird since he has primarily been a 3B, and was amazing at it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I mean, he can do what he wants and I don't want to come off as a tut-tuting "SURPLUS VALUE!" flogger here, it's just weird since he has primarily been a 3B, and was amazing at it.

Yeah no I getcha

Thankfully we have andujar my handsome baby boy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Right now I'm good with them trading for Happ+ a Bullpen lefty. They should go absolutely nuts spending on pitchers this offseason both in the rotation and the bullpen. They can leave the lineup alone.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 10, 2018

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Now...I may be wrong here but isn't 3B the position they put a player who is so-so in the field but has a bat worthy of a mlb team?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AkumaHokoru posted:

Now...I may be wrong here but isn't 3B the position they put a player who is so-so in the field but has a bat worthy of a mlb team?

*checks historical data* Yes, the Yankees did keep A-Rod at third for a while. Check out.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

For the Yankees, that is short stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

For the Yankees, that is short stop

now the reason I don't feel that way about SS is because they are a part of the round the horn double. have to be there for infield pops. have to cover for the 2b position in a lot of plays and have to keep their heads up for grounders/liners that more often than not tend to head right their way so they have to be more than just competent for SS

• Locked thread