Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Rigging games would be the most mafioso thing I could do! But no, they are honest (that's not a scumclaim haha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also I don't like that flerp doesn't want to participate after being challenged by other people.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Slamburger posted:

AA: Longshoes
IcePhoenix: Mr. Fluffums

Wager: $20

Mr. Fluffums narrowly defeats Longshoes!

IP has $170
AA has $50

*Sets Longshoes free*

"I know you're all hosed up from fighting, but please enjoy the rest of your probably brief life! Byeeeee~!"

##unvote
##vote IcePhoenix

Mrs. Rockems enters the arena

$50 on Mrs. Rockems versus Mr. Fluffums

ALL IN

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Slamburger posted:

Also I don't like that flerp doesn't want to participate after being challenged by other people.

he shook af

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
She rolls her eyes. It's an impressive swivel, two swirls of green and brown making full rotations about their respective sockets. She's quite proud of her attempt, overall, and believes that she's conveyed her disdain for the practice just enough. Really, she thinks, it's startlingly barbaric. No skill to it at all, just venom, claws, and glistening viscera.

Still, there's a smile on her face as she saunters up to the scorpion fight bettors. She looks in her purse, leafing through bills of questionable validity, then pulls out $30, slapping it in front of the individual — she can't make out features in the hazy atmosphere, but she thinks it's a man — running the betting ring.

"$30 on Precious," she says, picking out a particularly nasty looking black specimen. She delicately grabs the creature, careful to hold its stinger in place, and looks around for a partner. Oh, they'll work, she thinks. Gotta make the proper impression though.

##unvote
##vote The Ninth Layer

She walks up to them, feigning distaste for the arthropod clutched between her fingers. She smiles and makes the offer: $30 on her girl — she has no idea whatsoever of the scorpion's sex — against however much they're willing to bet on some other, lesser scorpion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

*Sets Longshoes free*

"I know you're all hosed up from fighting, but please enjoy the rest of your probably brief life! Byeeeee~!"

##unvote
##vote IcePhoenix

Mrs. Rockems enters the arena

$50 on Mrs. Rockems versus Mr. Fluffums

ALL IN

##unvote
##vote AA

BRING IT

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
You're drat straight I will!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Slamburger posted:

Rigging games would be the most mafioso thing I could do! But no, they are honest (that's not a scumclaim haha)
:captainpop:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will replace in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Drugs are my vice, not gambling

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

AA: Mrs. Rockems
IcePhoenix: Mr. Fluffums

Wager: $50

Mrs. Rockems narrowly defeats Mr. Fluffums!

AA has $100
IP has $120

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
:slick:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Max posted:

Drugs are my vice, not gambling

Hm.

##unvote

Alright.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I call shenanigans

##unvote
##vote slamburger

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
What the gently caress flerp. Challenge me

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

b-minus1 posted:

What the gently caress flerp. Challenge me

challenge this bicht

##unvote
##vote bee movie

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GeneX posted:

She rolls her eyes. It's an impressive swivel, two swirls of green and brown making full rotations about their respective sockets. She's quite proud of her attempt, overall, and believes that she's conveyed her disdain for the practice just enough. Really, she thinks, it's startlingly barbaric. No skill to it at all, just venom, claws, and glistening viscera.

Still, there's a smile on her face as she saunters up to the scorpion fight bettors. She looks in her purse, leafing through bills of questionable validity, then pulls out $30, slapping it in front of the individual — she can't make out features in the hazy atmosphere, but she thinks it's a man — running the betting ring.

"$30 on Precious," she says, picking out a particularly nasty looking black specimen. She delicately grabs the creature, careful to hold its stinger in place, and looks around for a partner. Oh, they'll work, she thinks. Gotta make the proper impression though.

##unvote
##vote The Ninth Layer

She walks up to them, feigning distaste for the arthropod clutched between her fingers. She smiles and makes the offer: $30 on her girl — she has no idea whatsoever of the scorpion's sex — against however much they're willing to bet on some other, lesser scorpion.

"Feh, and feh! Scorpion fighting, such a savage practice. Far better to be wagering on gladiators, who at least have the intellect to grasp the majesty of combat." I glance into the eyes of my challenger and see my own disdain reflected in hers. But it does not prevent me from feeling that old familiar thrill of a hastily made wager on an uncontrollable outcome. I know nothing of scorpions, and of course that only adds to the appeal.

I am unfamiliar with the currency she has placed in front of me, but rummage what I believe is an equivalent amount. "Well then, let us compete," I say with a smile. Perusing the scorpion pen, I signal to the handler what looks to my untrained eye like an especially nimble, if small, specimen. Alkham, its tag reads, and the name speaks to me.

"I'll match, uh, the lady's wager on Alkham," I say to the pit manager, before turning to my opponent. "I don't suppose we've had the pleasure of an introduction yet. I am Magdalena, at your service, although some find the name hard to pronounce, so you may call me by my childhood name of Ninth instead if the name flummoxes you. And who might you be?"

##vote GeneX

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

flerp posted:

challenge this bicht

##unvote
##vote bee movie

Youre forgetting something. Lol this should count as a forfeit can I get a ruling

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Slamburger posted:

Also since I can't play in my own game I will ##vote flerp

Also an addendum to my rules is that any player that has a live critter will auto accept challenges.

>:O

we're criminals, not monsters!

##vote slam

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

Youre forgetting something. Lol this should count as a forfeit can I get a ruling

I think he's telling you to f off, not that he wants to scorpion fight you.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Unless "bicht" (sic) is the name of his scorpion.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Slamburger posted:

Unless "bicht" (sic) is the name of his scorpion.

nah, I think it's his flavor's name

whatever. ##unvote

##vote icephoenix
$100 on Zane

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Ninth Layer posted:

"Feh, and feh! Scorpion fighting, such a savage practice. Far better to be wagering on gladiators, who at least have the intellect to grasp the majesty of combat." I glance into the eyes of my challenger and see my own disdain reflected in hers. But it does not prevent me from feeling that old familiar thrill of a hastily made wager on an uncontrollable outcome. I know nothing of scorpions, and of course that only adds to the appeal.

I am unfamiliar with the currency she has placed in front of me, but rummage what I believe is an equivalent amount. "Well then, let us compete," I say with a smile. Perusing the scorpion pen, I signal to the handler what looks to my untrained eye like an especially nimble, if small, specimen. Alkham, its tag reads, and the name speaks to me.

"I'll match, uh, the lady's wager on Alkham," I say to the pit manager, before turning to my opponent. "I don't suppose we've had the pleasure of an introduction yet. I am Magdalena, at your service, although some find the name hard to pronounce, so you may call me by my childhood name of Ninth instead if the name flummoxes you. And who might you be?"

##vote GeneX

"Natasza," she responds, a smile quirking her lips. "Harder to spell than to pronounce, I've learned. GX is a name I've used often while working in and around Rossetia. You may as well use it, too."

Her eyes sharpen, the arachnids ignored for the moment.

"So what brings you here, 'Ninth'? Business, pleasure, or both?"

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Natasza (GeneX): Precious
Magdalena (TNL): Alkham

Wager: $30

The two scorpions circle each other. Precious is a much larger arachnid, and it wiggles its large black pincers as it sidesteps around Alkham. The smaller one hardly moves as it rotates in place tracking its foe. Then suddenly, Precious lashes out with its stinger. Alkham moves imperceptibly, but its slim body is no longer where the stinger was aimed as it nicks the dirt floor. Precious adjusts itself as it prepares for a second strike but then shivers and falls over dead! Did anyone even see Alkham strike?

Perhaps Magdalenda knew more than she was letting on when choosing her scorpion...

GeneX has $70
TNL has $130

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

b-minus1 posted:

nah, I think it's his flavor's name

whatever. ##unvote

##vote icephoenix
$100 on Zane

##unvote
##vote b-

Let's do this, Mr Fluffums. Time for redemption.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Hmmm those scorpions look tough

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

IcePhoenix posted:

I call shenanigans

##unvote
##vote slamburger

making animals fight is wrong, stay away from my sweet little parisa. also seems like a ~dick~ move, distracting us until the drat cops break in.

anpu i tunnel, am thick and overly paranoid. on that note, why are you asking?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
The thrill of uncertainty had begun to weigh heavily on young Sofia. The influence of Mary's Weed having waned, gambling proved to be an appealing substitute to placate her listlessness.

"Alright Mrs. Rockems, you did real good there girl, but you like a little worse for wear. Let's give you a once over, eh?"

Sofia runs a cautious finger over its ablative carapace. Mr. Fluffem's savage attacks left their marks on the arachnid's armor, but it reared up on its hind quarters proving itself ready to once more be tossed into the fray.

Sofia pushed a stack of coin towards the center of the table

$40

"Accost me, ruffians!"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GeneX posted:

"Natasza," she responds, a smile quirking her lips. "Harder to spell than to pronounce, I've learned. GX is a name I've used often while working in and around Rossetia. You may as well use it, too."

Her eyes sharpen, the arachnids ignored for the moment.

"So what brings you here, 'Ninth'? Business, pleasure, or both?"

The name doesn't ring a bell, but I nod politely anyway. Rossetia's criminal network is vast and the bosses' game draws from all corners. Not everyone has a reputation in the underworld, and indeed many of us would prefer not to have one. GX is an unusual name for a mobster to choose considering our local opposition goes by "Gen X," but I keep this observation to myself.

"I shall call you GX then. It is indeed a pleasure to have made your acquaintance. And to have taken your money too, it seems," I add with a sideways look at the pit. I once heard a tale of an assassin named Alkham and it pleases me to see his namesake demonstrate its own deadly skill. Accepting my winnings from an attendant, I take a quick check of the currency to make sure it's all there and that the coins are good. For a better to be shorted at a bosses' game is unheard of, but I've found it helps in all business transactions to show an eye for detail.

"I'm here for pleasure, mostly," I say as I put away the winnings. "Of course, events like this can be good for meeting potential business associates. But it's the gamble I'm here for. For me there's nothing quite like the moment between the throw of the dice and their settling on the table. Or that between the call of a wager and the flip of the cards."

Such thrills I can get at the local rings, but it's not the same. Those games exist for profit, running on the blood of civilians with too much wealth and not enough sense. Wolves preying on sheep. It may be profitable, but there's no sport in it. At a bosses' game, though...

A bosses' game is for us, by us. Even odds. No house cut. No colluding or cheating, or at least none beyond what is expected in any competition of thieves and liars. Skilled opponents. Rich, powerful opponents. Real stakes.

"I tend to think such moments are best experienced with worthy company, such as yourself," I say, looking back to GX. "And, I suppose, with our uninvited guests. All this drama only enhances the experience, don't you think?"

Watching the attendants clear away Precious' corpse from the pit, it occurs to me that perhaps this is all just a show put on by the bosses, an elaborate game of their own. Perhaps we are the scorpions, with lives no less disposable. I let this private thought leak through as a smile. If such is the case, all the better.

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...
Anpu rifles through his multiple pouches and produces a large Scarab Beetle, copper in colour, placing it into the arena.

“Who would wager their scorpion against this harmless beetle? A sure bet, surely. It does not even have a sting, after all...”

He taps the scarab Khepri with the edge of his dagger and it begins to circle and scan the area in a rhythmic staccato.

Accepting all comers!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I’m coming down off my high. Anyone got any other potions or tonics I can consume?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Anpu posted:

Anpu rifles through his multiple pouches and produces a large Scarab Beetle, copper in colour, placing it into the arena.

“Who would wager their scorpion against this harmless beetle? A sure bet, surely. It does not even have a sting, after all...”

He taps the scarab Khepri with the edge of his dagger and it begins to circle and scan the area in a rhythmic staccato.

Accepting all comers!

##unvote
##vote ANPU

$40 Mrs. Rockems vs Khepri

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...
##vote Anomalous Amalgam

$50 says your critter meets Osiris, friend.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
symon turned his face away from the bloodsport in disgust. he stroked parisa softly, the little rat nibbling on a piece of cheese he'd nicked from les gros fromage a few nights past. only the best for his parisa.

he hoped he wouldn't have to resort to feeding her the tiny scorpion bodies that now littered the ring. they had to get out of here before that happened. the body of boss julia crossed his vision. he flinched and looked away. this was bad.

his eyes avoiding the troubling spectacle he sidled over to anpu, who'd been asking strange questions earlier. he was curious about that. anpu loudly proclaiming he sought the trustworthy, asking personal questions. symon knew drat well that for now he trusted only himself. and parisa.

the rat nestled in his jacket, squeaking softly. he asked his question of anpu but his voice was lost amongst the baying crowd. he tried again.

"anpu, friend. can you tell me your reasons for your earlier questions?"

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

Anpu does not dare look away from his prized scarab, but answers earnestly.

“Only time will tell, friend. But I will tell you two things. One, the more who answer these questions the better for all who live in this world. Two, questions are important, but one must also remember the answers.”

Anpu reaches into his satchel and produced a small glass bauble, holding it up to the light.

“Symon, if you could fix any of your weaknesses, what would you do? How would you light the dark lands within you?”

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
symon laughed nervously, and shuffled his feet considering the answer. dark lands? it sounded portentous, but what did it mean, really? could it be a mere distraction, a chance for anpu to claim an ally to shield himself with? was it a tactic to get the measure of the men and women around him? a strange approach, if so. maybe there was something else at work, something symon did not understand.

symon had brought himself to answer the man's initial question; he knew his weaknesses, though he was not proud enough to think he'd identified them all. but what did he mean with his most recent query? symon strove always to be a better man, a better thief. he worked on at least the last part every day. what did anpu mean?

he eyed the glass bauble warily, and glanced again at the slowly stiffening body of boss julia. how had she died again? he felt his paranoia rising to claim him and tried desperately to shake it off.

parisa slept soundly in his jacket pocket, the rise and fall of her tiny breaths matching the ever quickening heartbeat that thudded in symons chest.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Anpu posted:

What do you think are your greatest weaknesses playing mafia?

Just about everything. I play this game primarily to feel bad about myself. I started out playing because I thought it would be fun to help piece together night-action puzzles but since things are never as simple as they seem (particularly in Eccogames) I wind up getting led around by the nose a lot and losing games for town instead (as I'm sure people here can attest to).

Anpu posted:

What would you say are your strengths as a player?

Related, being gullible enough that I somehow wind up lasting deep into endgame in most of the games I play because scum usually isn't worried about me. :sigh:

Slamburger posted:

Who wants to get in on some scorpion fighting from that picture in the OP? The fuzz won't keep us from gambling. Let's alleviate the boredom of D1 and play a content game:

1. Challenge a player you think is scum and vote for them.
2. Name your critter. Must be pronounceable in english, A-Z letters only. You can also tell us what kind of critter it is for flavor but only the name MATTERS.
3. Make a wager. Everyone has $100. Min bet $10, max $50.
4. The person you challenged must accept and name their own critter. If they have less $$$ than you wagered, the wager will be adjusted to their all-in. They don't have to omgus vote you back unless they want to.

I have a deterministic way of calculating critter power based on their names. If a critter has much more power than the other, they will win and kill it. The dead critter can't be used anymore. Fortunately there are lots of scorpions in Rossetia so losers can just pick new critters for future fights. If the power level is close, the loser will not die and can be used again.

Whoever has the most $$$ from playing my stupid game at the end of the game day will earn something cool! It may or may not be part of this game.

Example:

winvirus challenges Lumpen to fight his scorpion "Nancy" and wagers $20. He votes him.
Lumpen accepts and sends "Banker" into the fighting pit.
I announce that Banker has killed Nancy! Lumpen has $120, winvirus has $80.

This looks like fun, I'm sad I've missed a bunch of fights already. I will play.

I want to give TNL's super-scorpion over there a shot.

##vote TNL
Wager: $40
My scorpion: Elalix

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

"I tend to think such moments are best experienced with worthy company, such as yourself," I say, looking back to GX. "And, I suppose, with our uninvited guests. All this drama only enhances the experience, don't you think?"

A smirk.

"Indeed. I'm more than used to it in my line of work, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

She grabs a mottled blue scorpion, one with tiny claws and a very long stinger.

"Maybe Prudence here will do better."

She sidles up to the nervous looking guy talking to a man holding...is that a scarab? What? Well, no matter.

##vote Atomic Soda

"Any interest in a scorpion fight wager? No need to let Julia's little mishap ruin all the fun, I say. How does $35 sound?"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

b-minus1 (3): Murmur Twin, Moatillata, -Moatillata, flerp, IcePhoenix
The Ninth Layer (2): GeneX, IllegallySober
IcePhoenix (2): Moatillata, Anomalous Amalgam, -Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, b-minus1, -Anomalous Amalgam
Slamburger (2): Anomalous Amalgam, -Anomalous Amalgam, Max, IcePhoenix, Atomic Soda, -IcePhoenix
flerp (1): b-minus1, Slamburger, Anomalous Amalgam, -Anomalous Amalgam, -b-minus1
Anpu (1): Max, -Max, Anomalous Amalgam
Anomalous Amalgam (1): IcePhoenix, -IcePhoenix, Anpu
Dancer (1): Dancer, GeneX, -GeneX
GeneX (1): The Ninth Layer
Moatillata (0): flerp, IcePhoenix, -IcePhoenix, -flerp
Monathin (0): Moatillata, Dancer, -Dancer, -Moatillata
Max (0): Monathin, -Monathin
Murmur Twin (0): GeneX, -GeneX

Not Voting (1): Monathin

:h: With 15 players alive, it takes 8 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is July 12th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 20 hours from this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh, wait, right, Ecco’s thing

##Unvote
##Vote Atomic Soda

• Locked thread