Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Welcome to the World of Duel Monsters!

This game is for 23 people. For lack of a better term we are going to call it "Role Insanity" because honestly that's what it is. There will be many players starting with Vanilla roles, however, owing to game mechanics they will not remain Vanilla for long.

Basic Information

Days will be 48-72 hours in length. Nights will be 24 hours. These are flexible based on when I want to be up and doing things. I’ll aim for midnight EST deadlines.
We’ll be using a combination of googledocs and Discord to manage everything, so please make sure you have access to those for the game.
Alignment changes are not part of this game.
This game will be co-modded by Podima who will handle flips when I'm asleep.
As signups come in a discord will become available for the game. I would ask that all players join so that I can grant easy access to spectator docs / other things.

Game Mechanic

The major mechanic for this game is that as a Yu-gi-oh character, you will be able to draw and play cards throughout the game.

Basic Card Rules

1. All players start with 1 normal card. Some characters start with one Special Card instead. A special card is typically a card that grants persistent or powerful effects. They are unique to their characters. Special cards may be affected by abilities in the same way as normal cards.
2. A player may opt to either draw or act with a card at night.
3. Players draw during twilight, cards drawn may be affected by night actions
4. When a card is played its ability resolves and the card is discarded. This happens even if the ability fails. So a roleblocked player will lose a card they chose to play if they chose to play one that turn.
5. A discard pile is maintained but is not observable apart from by certain card effects
6. Cards are not replaced. There are 77 normal cards available. Once the supply is exhausted, players may not draw cards.
7. Cards have a preset resolution order, with some taking priority over others. This order is not revealed to players.
8. Effects with multiple potential targets resolve at random unless stated otherwise. E.g. I target Podima with destroy monster. Podima has two monsters. A creature is chosen at random from those two and destroyed.

Card Types

Monster Typically a card that targets a player for an effect.
Spell Typically a card that alters hand state or game state.
Trap A card with various effects that resolve when targetted by another player. Trap cards are played as a lower priority action. They are considered "Set" once played. A "Set" trap will automatically activate when its activation criteria are met. Usually when targetted by another player.

Card Keywords

1. Hold: This card grants an effect through being held in hand.
2. Priority: This card acts at the beginning of the resolution order. If two priority cards are used, they resolve at the same time.
3. Low Priority: This card acts at the end of the card resolution order. This is before traps are set but after all other effects. If two low priority cards are used, they resolve at the same time.
4. Lower Priority (aka Trap Priority): This is resolution level for all trap cards when they are set. Trap cards are set after low priority but before lowest priority cards. Trap cards are assumed to have the lower priority keyword as they are traps.
5. Lowest Priority: This card acts after all other effects in the resolution order, no exclusions. If two lowest priority cards are used, they resolve at the same time.

General Mafia Rules (That have been stolen from Somberero)

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. If you post fewer than ten times across a day that comes within 12 hours of finishing, I will grant a free vig to be used by the player that posts the most targetted at you. This goes through any and all protection.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to an Obs doc if you want to chat poo poo.
5. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about non-game stuff.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum are backed by elaborate fakeclaims. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.
10. If you are affected by a Day Action, do not post under any circumstances until we post the result of the Action. Everyone else is good to keep going

A note about result language

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. "You successfully x your target"
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. "Your action fails."
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result, this is a mod error.
4. A "successful" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.

I am aiming to start the game mid to late July, so somwhere around the weekend of the 21st ideally (if signups permit). This should allow us to dodge the majority of games that are currently running.

And with that.

I have one final statement:

Signups
  1. 50 pounds of bread
  2. Anidav
  3. Anomalous Amalgam
  4. Anpu
  5. Asiina
  6. b-minus1
  7. Beetphyxious
  8. Bifauxnen
  9. Dancer
  10. give head or get dead
  11. IcePhoenix
    IllegallySober
  12. Iron Chef Ramen
  13. Jeabus Mahogany
  14. Khris Kruel
  15. King Burgundy
  16. Monathin
  17. Mr. Humalong
  18. Nep-Nep
  19. SalTheBard
  20. The Lord of Hats
  21. Xad
  22. Zyxyz

Replaced out
Yami Fenrir

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Yep

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
aw yisss

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sure what the gently caress could go wrong in a Nat20 run, anime based game!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SalTheBard posted:

Sure what the gently caress could go wrong in a Nat20 run, anime based game!

Pod's description upon review is that "It looks like fun."

Whether this is fun for him to observe and laugh at or fun for the players is unclear.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Yuuuuuuuuuugi boiiii

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I play three blue-eyes white dragons

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I will observe unless you absolutely need me to play

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Whether this is fun for him to observe and laugh at or fun for the players is unclear.

it's the same thing I said about the DBZ2 setup :getin:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
This sounds interesting. I'm in.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Heck yeah I am ready for this one

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Nat20, can you promise me there will be no rewards for "most spammy poster" :v: ? In that case I'm in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dancer posted:

Nat20, can you promise me there will be no rewards for "most spammy poster" :v: ? In that case I'm in.

I have a small sheet where I write down all of my good game ideas.

That rule is not in that sheet.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

I'm in

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

sup fitty

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Natural 20 posted:

Confirmed.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

What up meng.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Let's do this.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

still in cali? I start grad school in the fall

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Yeah, half way between LA and SD.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I will give this a shot!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
MY grandfather's deck HAS no useless mafia roles, Kaiba! I'm in!

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...
TIME TO DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DUAT!

ANPU IS IN.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Nat20 how dare you do this to me, I literally had a Yugioh rant in the SGDQ thread.

Ugh, in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We're at 14 with that. 9 more! Tell your friends!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Tell your friends!

FRIENDSHIP IS THE BEST THING EVER!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY SIGNUP CARD!

With its power, I'm able to join your game and relentlessly post lovely Yu-Gi-Oh memes!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I will not be bringing lovely YuGiOh memes.

Instead I will be bringing lovely YuGiOh trivia and game design rants.

You have been warned.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
from now on i see a yugioh meme, i dayvig the player who posted it

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Monathin posted:

I will not be bringing lovely YuGiOh memes.

Instead I will be bringing lovely YuGiOh trivia and game design rants.

You have been warned.

Pot of Greed.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yami Fenrir posted:

Pot of Greed.

Pot of Greed is funny because it's a free +1 Hand Advantage and that's the easiest trade in the world to make, but on the same time there's so, so much more I can examine in terms of hosed up designs.

Goyo Guardian is a HELL of a stupid card that only recently got unbanned. Gorz, oh god, TeleDAD...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Monathin posted:

Pot of Greed is funny because it's a free +1 Hand Advantage and that's the easiest trade in the world to make, but on the same time there's so, so much more I can examine in terms of hosed up designs.

Goyo Guardian is a HELL of a stupid card that only recently got unbanned. Gorz, oh god, TeleDAD...

Honestly i don't know much about yugioh cards other than the ones that were posted in the murphy's thread when they decided it was dumb card combo thread.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Monathin posted:

What about exodia decks that let you win literally before your opponent even gets a turn

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Totes in

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Are you trying to tell me that Beet and I are destined to play Mafia games with each other for all eternity?

Best. Destiny. Ever.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I know nothing about Yu-Gi-Oh, or pretty much any topic Nat20 wants to make games about.

But I like his games anyway.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Are you trying to tell me that Beet and I are destined to play Mafia games with each other for all eternity?

Best. Destiny. Ever.

Fist bump!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

King Burgundy posted:

I know nothing about Yu-Gi-Oh, or pretty much any topic Nat20 wants to make games about.

But I like his games anyway.

I've had a quick google and there are no dong themed characters in this game which makes the flavour 30% less interesting compared to persona

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Best. Destiny. Ever.

I also have a bunch of new bif puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Beet merrily takes us up to 16, 7 more to go.

• Locked thread