Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
errol is definitely one of those guys who's is too risky to fight for the money you get for fighting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Garcia and Thurman will avoid Spence, but porter will immediately take that fight. You can’t include him with the others

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thurman beats him

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Thurman beats him

I guess I could see a scenario where Spence just wasn't ready and Thurman outfoxes him but as of now I cant see Spence-Thurman as a whitewash for Spence. Spence has the physical advantages (height, reach adn likely weight on fight night), a greater amateur pedigree, I believe more power and a superb body attack. Keeping in mind Luis Collazo once hurt Thurman to the body badly I think he would get taken out within 6 rounds.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 19, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Thurman beats him

Don't see it. Thurman's 5'7 and gives up 3" in reach to Spence. He's an average sized welterweight with average power at the world class level. He won close decisions over Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter, good fighters but not special fighters, and he's been inactive and injured lately. Who knows if he can even get all the way back, but even if he does he gives up basically every advantage to Spence, besides experience, which would be a wash anyway by the time they got in the ring together.

Spence has the size (5'10, 6'0 reach), as well as the power and skills to easily move up to junior middleweight, maybe even middleweight at some point, depending on how truly good he is. He knocked out Kell Brook (a guy who beat Shawn Porter fairly handily), who I'd say is bigger and better than anyone Thurman's beaten. Thurman would need the fight of his life to even eke out a decision against Spence.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TBH I don't really think Thurman beats Spence, I'm just like Thurman and am sick of seeing people poo poo on him online since his activity stopped and thought it would be fun to post "Thurman beats him" with no explanation.

Spence is the truth, and while I think people underestimate Thurman, Spence is clearly the best guy in the division.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

TBH I don't really think Thurman beats Spence, I'm just like Thurman and am sick of seeing people poo poo on him online since his activity stopped and thought it would be fun to post "Thurman beats him" with no explanation.

Spence is the truth, and while I think people underestimate Thurman, Spence is clearly the best guy in the division.

I feel like hes kind of earned that enmity. I cant hate on how hes performed in the ring (he seems to fight down to his competition but his fights against Garcia and Porter were strong wins) and I'm not going so far to :tinfoil: that he faked injuries but he really went from being a guy who would call anyone out for any fight to demanding multiple "get back" fights before facing another top opponent.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Bud Crawford might have something to say about that next year.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I think Crawford beats everyone not named Spence at 147. Spence/Crawford is obviously the marquee match-up in the division. Thurman is a good fighter, but his inactivity - won't have fought in a year and a half by the time he does fight - means he has a lot of catching up to do.

It will be interesting to see who he takes as his return fight. Ideally it would be against someone like Jesse Vargas, but that's probably expecting too much.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
where do you think josh kelly's ceiling is?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I think he's not quick or powerful enough to pull off his bootleg Roy Jones impression at world level

The other Josh who's fighting Postol this weekend looks more like the real deal

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Dejan Zlaticanin got stopped by an opponent against whom he was favored 100 to 1

https://twitter.com/ryansongalia/status/1010020058708361219?s=19

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

where do you think josh kelly's ceiling is?

A GQ or Esquire magazine feature?

Haven't seen too much of him to be honest, and it's probably too early to say. I'd want to see him in against a legit top 10 level opponent before passing any real judgement though. I will say that he's definitely not Spence/Crawford level, so it's tough to see him being anything more than a paper world titlist at best while those two are around, and for that matter he's probably not on the Thurman/Garcia/Porter level either.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bryant Jennings has signed to fight Alexander Dimitrenko on August 18th, who’s a 6’7 cream puff who’s failed every time he’s stepped up. This will be a very good indicator on how much Jennings has left.

Also, looks like Joshua/Wilder is off in favour of Joshua fighting Alex Povetkin. Pretty weak. Wilder will probably fight Dominic Breazeale now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Also, looks like Joshua/Wilder is off in favour of Joshua fighting Alex Povetkin. Pretty weak. Wilder will probably fight Dominic Breazeale now.

This was pretty much always going to happen. Hearn had said he wanted the fight for next year and it was a bit of surprise it seemed like it might happen quicker than that. I personally don't really think putting it off until next year is that bad anyway, this is one of the only big fights I can think of that actually could get bigger if it was given time.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the wilder fight was never going to happen this year because summer's due to end in a week and you can't fight at wembley in winter

they should make fury vs wilder. could easily just have that at the men or somewhere

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Fury would have to be insane to fight Wilder. It's far too much risk for not enough upside - Fury-Joshua as the unification fight isn't all that much bigger than Fury-Joshua with AJ coming in as the unified champion, and if Fury loses to Wilder that's his shot at the mega payday pushed back for a couple of years at best, gone forever at worst.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the fury who got warned for inactivity against a bum? that fury? fighting who?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

fury would beat wilder

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The Fury that beat Klitschko, maybe. The Fury who looked like poo poo against Seferi, maybe not.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Wilder is going mental on his Twitter timeline, honestly makes me believe his side more.

Would like to see him KO fury so he can gently caress off forever

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Julio Cruz posted:

The Fury that beat Klitschko, maybe. The Fury who looked like poo poo against Seferi, maybe not.

i don't think fury was particularly motivated for the seferi fight like he would be against someone Actually Good tbh

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Top Rank prospect Alex Saucedo is in an absurd bloodbath fight right now on ESPN

EDIT: https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1013234033470394368

Fight of the year so far no question

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 1, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
That was some good poo poo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it was a good fight.

also, in slightly funnier news: Manny Pacquiao's trainer for the Matthyse fight is...

...just read the mitts.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Troy Queef posted:

it was a good fight.

also, in slightly funnier news: Manny Pacquiao's trainer for the Matthyse fight is...

...just read the mitts.

Manny is doing the promotion through his company too and supposedly a bunch of deadlines to pay Matthyse have come and gone so I dont think the fight will even happen at this point. Lucas might end up fighting Crawford in October if it falls through.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

Manny is doing the promotion through his company too and supposedly a bunch of deadlines to pay Matthyse have come and gone so I dont think the fight will even happen at this point. Lucas might end up fighting Crawford in October if it falls through.

I would much rather see the Pacquiao fight.

If Matthysse fights Crawford, it'll be loving brutal

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

ozymandius1024 posted:

I would much rather see the Pacquiao fight.

If Matthysse fights Crawford, it'll be loving brutal

Crawford vs Pacquiao would be equally brutal at this point.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Crawford vs Pacquiao would be equally brutal at this point.

Sorry, I should've been clear that I meant Matthysse vs Pacquiao. Both guys are washed, so at least it's kinda competitive.

I'm with you that Bud slaughters both of them.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Horn and the judges in Australia tried to do Pacquiao a favour but he just won't take it

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can you guys recommend any matches if I want to explore cuban boxing techniques? Can be new or old, as long as it's possible to watch them somewhere.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

Sorry, I should've been clear that I meant Matthysse vs Pacquiao. Both guys are washed, so at least it's kinda competitive.

I'm with you that Bud slaughters both of them.

Well it seems that someone came up with the money so the fight's on. It'll be streamed on ESPN+ next Saturday night.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/7/7/17544338/pacquiao-vs-matthysse-to-air-on-espn-in-united-states

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 8, 2018

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Monday Bandele posted:

Horn and the judges in Australia tried to do Pacquiao a favour but he just won't take it

Marquez tried to help him into retirement from the beginning, but yeah...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I picked up ESPN+ for the Crawford fight and have kept it mostly out of being too lazy to cancel a $5 a month service. If it gets me a free boxing match to stream over my computer every month then I'll consider it an ok price. There's not a ton else on it that appeals to me tbh, it's not a full ESPN streaming service so for example I couldn't watch Top Rank's event yesterday on ESPN+ and needed a cable subscription for their main stream. The stream quality was good and I had no issues with it which is more than I can say for some PPV events I bought over cable. I'd much rather pay $60 spread over a year to get a Pacquiao-Matthysse fight and several others on top of it than pay $60 just for one fight, and if they ever stop bringing fights over I can cancel out of it.

Pacquiao-Matthysse should be a good fight style wise. It's not the match it might have been 4 or 5 years ago but it still has a lot of the same old appeal. I think Manny should have the edge in skill and speed but maybe not enough to keep Lucas from catching him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Can you guys recommend any matches if I want to explore cuban boxing techniques? Can be new or old, as long as it's possible to watch them somewhere.

The best recent example would be Guillermo Rigondeaux against Nonito Donaire. Going into the fight Donaire was a top 10 pound for pound fighter and a slim betting favorite but was dismantled by Rigondeaux's supremely efficient defensive style. It was a masterclass in boxing skill and especially in outside movement and distance control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3V5V_19fW0

I don't know too much else about other Cuban fighters or the Cuban school of boxing specifically, but searching around found me this post on Bad Left Hook ranking the top 10 best Cuban professionals and providing videos for a few of them: https://www.badlefthook.com/2013/4/17/4233752/10-greatest-cuban-pro-boxers-rating-guillermo-rigondeaux

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thisdude23 posted:

Marquez tried to help him into retirement from the beginning, but yeah...

Well I am predicting that it will be the second time Pacquiao regains consciousness and asks for Buboy after a brutal knockout.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mike12345 posted:

So many of the great Cuban boxers were amateur only. I'd say their style was very tailored towards that, but in a really balletic way. Really good balance, good movement, good ability to read the opponent. Using technique to do damage -- landing right at the very end of a punch to maximize reach. Able to draw out their opponents without using a lot of energy to bait.

The heavyweights, which are still pretty light, have some of the most eye-poppingly good technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAbGvmIWxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvQUyA470

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Billy Joe Saunders has been ordered by the WBO to face his mandatory, Demetrius Andrade. Between Saunders continuously dropping out of fights and Andrade's inactivity and generally bizarre management of his own career, I'd be pretty surprised if the fight does end up happening. If it does happen, I don't expect a great fight. When he's on, Saunders likes to box and move; not the type to get into exchanges, and for all his talent, Andrade is equally inconsistent and tends to fight to his level of opposition. If the fight somehow does happen and takes place in the UK I could see Andrade winning 7 or 8 rounds close and then getting jobbed on the cards.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

kimbo305 posted:

So many of the great Cuban boxers were amateur only. I'd say their style was very tailored towards that, but in a really balletic way. Really good balance, good movement, good ability to read the opponent. Using technique to do damage -- landing right at the very end of a punch to maximize reach. Able to draw out their opponents without using a lot of energy to bait.

The heavyweights, which are still pretty light, have some of the most eye-poppingly good technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAbGvmIWxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvQUyA470

:wtf: I didn't expect commentary about Savon "He's not very fluid" uhh...yeah he wouldn't win a gymnastics floor routine but I watched some of the Olympic fights as a kid, he had nice footwork. Politics robbed the world of some awesome heavyweight pro fights over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking of Cubans Robeisy Ramirez who won gold in 2012 and 2016-beating Shakur Stevenson in 16-recently left Cuba and will probably defect soon so hopefully we can get a good career out him.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/7/9/17548022/robeisy-ramirez-abandons-cuban-national-team-expected-to-defect