Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

You're hardly the only person I've seen say stuff like this but it's hilarious to me, as someone who grew up where you had to drive everywhere, since now I can't even consider moving somewhere I'd have to own a car again.
I've found a really happy medium with no car ownership, walk to work, public transit (with my transit pass that my employer pays for) mostly otherwise, and car shares for Costco and large grocery runs. I'm renting a car for the first time for a wedding I have to go to out in the boonies next month, but just thinking about all the money and headache I've saved from not having to worry about car payments, insurance, maintenance, gas, parking ($300 a month in my building, $250 a month at my office) etc... So nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Thanatosian posted:

I've found a really happy medium with no car ownership, walk to work, public transit (with my transit pass that my employer pays for) mostly otherwise, and car shares for Costco and large grocery runs. I'm renting a car for the first time for a wedding I have to go to out in the boonies next month, but just thinking about all the money and headache I've saved from not having to worry about car payments, insurance, maintenance, gas, parking ($300 a month in my building, $250 a month at my office) etc... So nice.

As someone who used transit for a decade and a half its also limiting. Ive had good opportunities I had to turn down because I didn't drive. Plus the amount of wasted time. 30 min drive vs 2 hour bus ride each way for one job. Winter is also a killer. Standing at a bus stop in -35 plus wind chill sucks. The added expense of a car does suck, but unless your city is built around public transit then it's always going to be the most inconvenient choice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Inspector_666 posted:

You're hardly the only person I've seen say stuff like this but it's hilarious to me, as someone who grew up where you had to drive everywhere, since now I can't even consider moving somewhere I'd have to own a car again.

It's just really nice to be able to go to an event that ends at like 2am, then just drive home without having to pay for a taxi, that plus i'd rather not have to walk back with 2 weeks worth of food shopping. I still play ice hockey too, trying to get your kit around on public transport is kind of an rear end in a top hat move.

Bonus points if you can drop your friends off along the way in the drive home thing is cool too, because my friends are chill and usually fill the tank for me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

As someone who used transit for a decade and a half its also limiting. Ive had good opportunities I had to turn down because I didn't drive. Plus the amount of wasted time. 30 min drive vs 2 hour bus ride each way for one job. Winter is also a killer. Standing at a bus stop in -35 plus wind chill sucks. The added expense of a car does suck, but unless your city is built around public transit then it's always going to be the most inconvenient choice.
I mean, a lot of it is that I've chosen to live places with easy public transit access. The ubiquity of car shares has made it waaaaayyyy easier to do without.

Also, living someplace where the temperature rarely drops below 30 or gets above 90. You know, someplace where human beings are meant to live.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

blackswordca posted:

lol what how do you live without a car in edmonton.

The LRT exists only to make driving worse. See: Princess elizabeth infront of nait.
I guess its okay if you're a student going to U of A

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2018

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I mean, a lot of it is that I've chosen to live places with easy public transit access. The ubiquity of car shares has made it waaaaayyyy easier to do without.

Also, living someplace where the temperature rarely drops below 30 or gets above 90. You know, someplace where human beings are meant to live.

Where I live transit is great if you want to go from major residential areas to the downtown core or a couple of major malls. Outside of that transit is terrible. One place I had a job prospect at was 4 hours from my condo to work over 6 buses. It was a 35 minute drive there.

There are cities where transit is not only a viable option but the best option. A lot of cities though, particularly in North America, transit is an underfunded afterthought used by the poors. I'd bus to work if it wasn't a 2.5 hour shitshow of transfers and hoping each of the 4 busses I need are on time. The other option is 20 minutes of rush hour driving each way.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Methanar posted:

lol what how do you live without a car in edmonton.

The LRT exists only to make driving worse. See: Princess elizabeth infront of nait.
I guess its okay if you're a student going to U of A

I don't transit anymore. Kingsway is a gongshow for everyone and the new lrt to the west end is going to be worse. I have a buddy who is going to live less than a block or so from the west end line. He barely avoided having his property eminent domained.

Part of the advantage of transit, the lovely Edmonton drivers are someone elses problem.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

blackswordca posted:

I don't transit anymore. Kingsway is a gongshow for everyone and the new lrt to the west end is going to be worse. I have a buddy who is going to live less than a block or so from the west end line. He barely avoided having his property eminent domained.

Part of the advantage of transit, the lovely Edmonton drivers are someone elses problem.

As an Edmontonian, who takes transit to and from work, this whole conversation is triggering my PTSD and now I'm gonna have to go watch City Hall gently caress the entire city up just to feel better about my life.
Bonus trigger points for mentioning -35C bus stops.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We had a power outage long enough to drain all of our UPS batteries and have everything shut down last friday.

The building management sent out a letter detailing the cause, here is an excerpt:

quote:

The building maintenance engineers, contracted service providers, and managerial employees have identified
the root cause to the building loss of power and the back-up generator failure as a main breaker shut down.
As a building code requirement enforced by the $city, the main breaker and generator
breaker are required to be located on the exterior of the building easily accessible to service providers and fire
responders. These breakers are designed to safely cut power to the building in emergency situations.
The breaker shut down is believed to have occurred shortly before 2am by individual(s) unknown.
Following
the shut down, on-call maintenance personnel received reports of system troubles and low battery. $buildingManagement
dispatched two maintenance technicians to the Building to assess the power loss and work to
safely restore power. After assessing the power loss and consulting with service contractors, the buildings
generator was turned on around 4:25am. Building power was transferred to the main grid power at 5:10am
followed by resetting several systems for reboot.

Sabotage!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dogstile posted:

Now that i've got a car I really don't ever want to use public transport ever again.

Plus I get to drive down to Paris in a couple of months for a thing, which will be nice!

Do you have the option of taking the Eurostar? Because that's really nice compared to the hellworld of dealing with Kent.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I commute about 1½ hour each way. The only benefit is that I get to sleep for an hour on the train.

Costs €240 per month for an unlimited use card that I can use in any of the zones I'm going through and is valid for trains/subway/metro and busses.

Of course I also then get a yearly tax deduction of about €7500 due to said commuting, so that is pretty nice.

I would still like to move to closer to work, since there really isn't any work in my hometown.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you have the option of taking the Eurostar? Because that's really nice compared to the hellworld of dealing with Kent.

I'm assuming this is based on some direct experience, but as someone who lives there I can't say I've ever had a problem with the motorways. You can drive the full length of the M20 in less than an hour.

Not that I'd malign the Eurostar, it's a fine train if you've got the cheddar.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

$121 for a monthly unlimited Metrocard for me, and a 35-40 minute Subway ride each way.

I work in the financial district and every now and then they close Broadway for something and it's an incredibly wonderful experience to not be crammed into sidewalks while people drive 60mph because they really need to get a block down to stop at the red light right loving now.

I'm on Madison, and I do the walk for the exercise, which I do not get enough of.

I've noticed in NY that there's a certain point where there's enough pedestrians to just stop giving a gently caress about traffic that has a green light. It's 5-10 people +/- depending on the weight class of the oncoming traffic. Taxis and BMWs are special modifiers.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 10, 2018

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MrBling posted:

I commute about 1½ hour each way. The only benefit is that I get to sleep for an hour on the train.

:stare:

You are being robbed of 3 hours in every day you do this. Yikes.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the job hunt and dreading the possibility of a Jersey job. Been commuting to the same place in the West Village just one month shy of 3 years now. Even if it involves a transfer at Newark Penn to the PATH and across the platform at Journal Square, it's maybe a 1 hour and 15 minute commute.

I may end up having to take the train back to NY Penn and then an A/C/E or 1/2/3 subway but so help me God I will not do that crosstown schlep to the B/D/F/M and THEN the subway somewhere else. That drat extra logistical step sucks rear end.

From where I am in NJ, if I go north on the Parkway or west on 24, it's a traffic nightmare. If I'm going west on 78, it's a longer drive to get to anywhere that'd hire a sysadmin/infrastructure engineer. Driving sucks, you can't watch shows while you're driving, unless you really wanna get hurt or killed by not paying attention.

EDIT: any NYC-working goons want to get together for drinks or something? I feel like I'm losing out by not networking but I feel weird going into a Meetup if I don't have one concrete thing that unites me with the group doing the meet.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carth Dookie posted:

:stare:

You are being robbed of 3 hours in every day you do this. Yikes.

Honestly that kind of commute when you don't have to drive isn't so terrible, sleep on the morning one (like they say) and then read or something on the way home (or maybe just sleep more?) I used to have a commute that was closer to an hour each way on the train and I got a lot of reading done, it was almost a nice way to unwind after work.

I had a ~2 hour by car each way commute the job before that (including 2 different ferries each way!) which was loving misery though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I lived in a lovely apartment for ages because it was literally 3 mins from my office.

Every couple of months I would weigh up the benefits of that versus moving to a much, much nicer place 30 mins away.

In the end, being able to walk home and have an entire hour for lunch there made it totally worth the compromise.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whatever ideas work towards ending the commute are good ones. It doesn't have to be full-time work from home either, as long as it's not "being sacked".

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I commute three hour each workday by train too and well I don't see myself doing it another three years but it's not bad. I wrote half of my master paper on the train last year and nowadays I just check and reply to emails, watch/read stuff, take the time to learn some new small skills or just simply decompress before arriving home. I'd rather have an hour commute by train than a hectic 30 minute commute by car.

Edit:
I've also recently got the permission to work a bit from home and note my hours there so that's a plus as well

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 10, 2018

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
With every job I’ve switched to in my career I’ve managed to move one exit closer to my house around 465 each time. If there’s little or no traffic and I haul rear end (most of it is interstate where there’s never cops) I can make it to work in 18 minutes, which is a pretty goddam good commute for living in an Indianapolis suburb. The interstate exit basically shoots straight into the parking lot, it’s great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MJP posted:

EDIT: any NYC-working goons want to get together for drinks or something? I feel like I'm losing out by not networking but I feel weird going into a Meetup if I don't have one concrete thing that unites me with the group doing the meet.

HMU fam. I'm juggling my own commute logistics around right now and things are getting less consistent on a day-to-day basis rather than more. But I get to learn a lot more of the system this way. Also the West Village :D

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hey are we going to have an Ignite meetup? I am going up Sat before and staying after.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I work in Detroit. What the gently caress is this public transit you're talking about? Sounds like some commie bullshit to me.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Renegret posted:

https://twitter.com/TSAmedia_SariK/status/1016433783774633985

PC is making strange hissing sounds please advise and do the needful

Root cause: someone typed sudo apt-get install python

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

AlexDeGruven posted:

I work in Detroit. What the gently caress is this public transit you're talking about? Sounds like some commie bullshit to me.

Hey, you can take the QLine like 2 miles one way and then back or ride the People Mover in a circle. I would be the happiest person in the world if they got a train going from Flint to Detroit. Thankfully I have the option of going in late so I miss rush hour both ways. When I had to be there at 8:00 it was taking me 1.5 hours each way. If we hadn't just bought a house last year (when my wife was working 10 minutes from it and I was 100% remote worker) we would be moving.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

sfwarlock posted:

Root cause: someone typed sudo apt-get install python

How many nested sudo's do you need to use to install something into reality?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I forgot to mention - Page 100 and going strong, thanks thread :glomp:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

Hey are we going to have an Ignite meetup? I am going up Sat before and staying after.

I'm coming in on Sunday, but fly out first thing Saturday morning

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

kensei posted:

I forgot to mention - Page 100 and going strong, thanks thread :glomp:

Page 4?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

GreenNight posted:

Our CEO forwarded this cool spam to me.

"[bullshit technobabble], give me bitcoin, don't reply because I won't read it"

Sounds like the problem solved itself?

Comedy option: reply asking what bitcoin is. Repeatedly.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just discovered that my client uses SolarWinds for their internal helpdesk tool, which is notable because it's the tool that I couldn't log into because my email address was too long.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've found some places that will let me sign up using username+whatever@gmail.com but then won't let me login because they use some dumb regex that thinks + is an invalid character.

gently caress everyone that doesn't follow RFC 822/2822 for email addresses.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is even more egregious, some dev slapped a 50 character limit on the email address field on the login screen, because I guess if you gotta put a limit in why not just make one up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kensei posted:

My boss is trying to send me to this, so I hope there is a goon meetup. Don't know yet what day I would potentially arrive/leave.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sheep posted:

I've found some places that will let me sign up using username+whatever@gmail.com but then won't let me login because they use some dumb regex that thinks + is an invalid character.

gently caress everyone that doesn't follow RFC 822/2822 for email addresses.

I've managed to make multiple accounts on the same site using variations of the '+whatever' and it is a real cluster gently caress for that reason.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't, i'm picking up some people along the way and we're gonna roadtrip it. Should be fun either way!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Server with the sql server installation is down

Can't do my job really

Cool, cool,

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The Fool posted:

I'm coming in on Sunday, but fly out first thing Saturday morning

Sirotan posted:

My boss is trying to send me to this, so I hope there is a goon meetup. Don't know yet what day I would potentially arrive/leave.

Cool, should we make an Ignite Thread closer to the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I think you mean page 1.