Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

is webdev a worthwhile pursuit or is the work mindbogglingly terrible?

The work is mindboggingly terrible, but it can be a worthwhile pursuit if it pays well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need some sort of URL though, Steam requires a URL for you to pull anything from the API. Since I don’t intend to set up a static IP at home using a free hosting instance seems like the best choice.

Lots of API services let you use localhost as your app address/callback address, it's pretty common for apps in testing.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone do any hiring in India? (Like, actual hiring, not contractor stuff)

What's the current going rate for jr & sr linux admins there?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zil posted:

Usually depends on the customers in my experience. Also get everything in writing.
I'm too lazy to 1099, does that change things?

Volguus posted:

The work is mindboggingly terrible, but it can be a worthwhile pursuit if it pays well.
Hmm I guess a foot is out the door. I'm bored right now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Krispy Wafer posted:

I spent 3 years as a contractor always on the verge of getting a FTE spot so I couldn’t smoke. To the extent I’m camping with a bunch of co-workers and they’re smoking and like’ “no no it’ll be any day now don’t risk it!”

I never get a FTE spot and go to another job where again I’m dangled a FTE spot and 18 months later I’m hired, have passed all my drug tests, and can finally kick back and enjoy my trip to Denver. And the loving poo poo does nothing for me.

I feel like this is some cat in the cradle poo poo and I put it off too long and I’m now being punished. Don’t be me. Enjoy your weed.

Haven't smoked in like 4 months in the hopes I'll get a new job; my luck will be that they don't drug test when I do get a job, if it even happens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

is webdev a worthwhile pursuit or is the work mindbogglingly terrible?

Like doing sites for clients, working on CRUD apps, or being a front-end developer on an existing product? The first one will break your soul. Other two, not so bad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://bgr.com/2018/07/10/apple-1password-acquisition-deal/amp/

e: As pointed out to me in another thread.
https://twitter.com/1Password/status/1016710603359096846

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 10, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Nastier Nate posted:

A fun game to play is to see what happens first, whether they get sick of waiting around and raise the salary to something reasonable, or they hire someone completely unqualified.

definitely the latter

They'll use the fact that "we couldn't find anyone for the job" as an excuse for an H1B.

e: f, b:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Isn't that classic H1B bait? 'Help, we can't find ANYONE to fill this position domestically!'

Exactly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Do both. The extract part of your job marshals the data into a generic format in memory based on the language you're using. Basically an object per record. Now make your translate portion modular depending on the destination - it consumes the generic object and makes it into a destination specific one. Now load it into Mongo or Dynamo or both.

Want to expand? Duplicate your input data 10,000 times. The goal is to make it larger than is reasonable to block at each step, and consume a huge amount of memory loading the whole file up at once. To accomplish this you convert it to a stream processor, one thread per portion, with a queue in between each one. As your extractor loads objects it pushes them into the queue, then the translator pops them off and translates them, pushing them into the loader queue, and the loader attempts to write them to persistent storage. Congratulations, stream processing is huge.

If I’m somewhat understanding, that sounds useful. If I did get it to work on my own computer, an 8700K would be more than enough to do that at a smallish scale, right?

I ended up finding a Powershell one-liner online to do conversions on all of them. Saved it as a script, should make it a lot faster.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Darchangel posted:

They'll use the fact that "we couldn't find anyone for the job" as an excuse for an H1B.

e: f, b:

Exactly.

Don’t h1bs start at like $65k/year?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
My boss scheduled a "1 on 1 meeting" for this Thursday. I'm assuming he wants to talk about the plans for setting up a site which is a job I'm in the middle. A part of me is hoping he'll just fire me so I can be free of all the stress.

I love the helpdesk's guy's comment: "dropsy only did 3 tickets today. he doesn't do any work" :v:

I am in over my head right now :shepicide: . Goddammit loving PMs answer your loving phones. we must coordinate or this will be a disaster I will be blamed for. I'm already picturing my future working through the weekend barely getting it done.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

My boss scheduled a "1 on 1 meeting" for this Thursday. I'm assuming he wants to talk about the plans for setting up a site which is a job I'm in the middle. A part of me is hoping he'll just fire me so I can be free of all the stress.

I love the helpdesk's guy's comment: "dropsy only did 3 tickets today. he doesn't do any work" :v:

I am in over my head right now :shepicide: . Goddammit loving PMs answer your loving phones. we must coordinate or this will be a disaster I will be blamed for. I'm already picturing my future working through the weekend barely getting it done.

Anytime you call a PM and they don't answer, send them an email saying "hey, I just tried to call you regarding X, for which we have rapidly-approaching deadline Y. Let me know when you've got some time to talk. Thanks."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Day eight of trying to get a TXT record added to a domain. So far I’ve been sent login details for an account that doesn’t have permission to make the changes, talked someone through adding the record to a name server that isn’t even the one set on the domain, and now I’m getting the email form of barely-literate grunting - like a couple of screenshots of a DNS control panel and “so I add the record to the mail” as the only text.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

do you guys have any suggestions for getting started with implementing change logging processes for infrastructure/server changes? Our shop doesn't do changelogs for anything IT handles (server updates, infrastructure changes, etc...), but I've got a bunch of fairly significant changes in my pipeline that I will be gradually pushing out with Ansible and I think it'd be a good idea to start tracking whats done when and where and I was hoping for something a little more manageable/futureproof than a Google spreadsheet or local text file.

Thanks Ants posted:

Day eight of trying to get a TXT record added to a domain. So far I’ve been sent login details for an account that doesn’t have permission to make the changes, talked someone through adding the record to a name server that isn’t even the one set on the domain, and now I’m getting the email form of barely-literate grunting - like a couple of screenshots of a DNS control panel and “so I add the record to the mail” as the only text.

some of the posts itt make me so afraid of job hunting...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

my bitter bi rival posted:

do you guys have any suggestions for getting started with implementing change logging processes for infrastructure/server changes? Our shop doesn't do changelogs for anything IT handles (server updates, infrastructure changes, etc...), but I've got a bunch of fairly significant changes in my pipeline that I will be gradually pushing out with Ansible and I think it'd be a good idea to start tracking whats done when and where and I was hoping for something a little more manageable/futureproof than a Google spreadsheet or local text file.

some of the posts itt make me so afraid of job hunting...

Do you have a ticketing system? Use that to track changes.

You may also want to look into documenting the change, i.e. make a standard request form including all the stakeholders, detailed process to implement, impact of not implementing, impact of a failed implementation, rollback plan, etc... and attach those to the tracking ticket.

Ultimately, you’ll want to ease into a system where the change request is submitted with supporting documentation, and you have a board to approve, deny, or send back for amendment. Only after it passes that do you create a tracking/work ticket with the docs attached.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Lots of API services let you use localhost as your app address/callback address, it's pretty common for apps in testing.

Surprisingly that worked.

Now I just have to figure out what stack to use. I guess I'll use MEAN, since if you oversimplify it, it's MongoDB and three flavors of Javascript.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have weekly 1 on 1s with my boss, 30 minutes each. She asked me in the last one if I was happy with what I was doing and if I wanted to switch workloads to change it up.

Every change we make to the environment goes through a change advisory board which is separate from, but attached to, incident requests.

I feel like I'm living in a dream.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

I schedule 1 on 1's with my direct reports once per month for one hour each. I occasionally do skip level 1 on 1's with my indirect reports.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

I schedule 1 on 1's with my direct reports once per month for one hour each. I occasionally do skip level 1 on 1's with my indirect reports.
Do you all find this to be the optimum cadence? Having 1:1s this infrequently has a number of drawbacks. If you use 1:1s to build and reinforce relationships, it's too infrequent to get any signal on how your directs are doing. By the time they get to talk to you about something that's been on their mind, they may have been sitting on it an entire month. And unless you both do a great job with shared agendas, you're probably going to get a recency bias because a number of things important to them, that they intended to work through or discuss, will have simply come and gone in the intervening period.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah 1/month 1:1 with my boss would seem like way too little. I have "weekly" 1:1 with my boss that in practice ends up being 3 out of every 4 weeks due to availability (which is fine).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

Anytime you call a PM and they don't answer, send them an email saying "hey, I just tried to call you regarding X, for which we have rapidly-approaching deadline Y. Let me know when you've got some time to talk. Thanks."

This is the Way and the Light. So let it be written (and backed up offsite) so let it be done.

So the advertising industry mostly does "Summer Fridays" where people take every other Friday off because it's slow. My rear end in a top hat boss takes all 8 possible Fridays off, including no call/no showing on 8 consecutive 1-on-1 calls. He also ignored the followup emails I sent.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I've never been in a job where I had more than a monthly one on one with my boss, and that was at Best Buy where they were supposed to be weekly.

Right now I'm around once a quarter

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Podima posted:

Yeah 1/month 1:1 with my boss would seem like way too little. I have "weekly" 1:1 with my boss that in practice ends up being 3 out of every 4 weeks due to availability (which is fine).

My 1:1 with my boss are typically just informal early AM chats since we both start our days before the rest of the team around 6-6:30 AM (either in office or slack DMs during home office days). It’s equal parts corp gossip/venting/project discussion. We do this about 2 or three times a week.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We have a weekly team meeting so we can all touch base, but a 1:1 is quarterly if that. He's pretty good about us letting us work, and spend a lot of time keeping us out of meeting and crap we don't need to be in. I get real cranky if I spend more than 10 hours a week in meetings and it kills my productivity so I appreciate he handles all that BS for us.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Service Composer is limiting enough that I’ve moved away from using it. You have less control over where to apply the policy, you must have the same security group in either the source or destination field, meaning that if you’re trying to group together the rules for a multipoint app under one section you end up having to do a bunch of nested rules and the weighting concept is harder to work with for ordering than just looking at an ordered list. It’s good for reusable policy like you’d find in a multitenany environment or when orchestrating self service requests, but for translating existing firewall policy into the DFW using Service Composer makes it more difficult. Except, bizarrely that you only see service composer defined rules in the “Related Objects” field of a VM, not rules built directly into the firewall.

And yea, I’ve used Log Insight and VRNI assessments to do flow discovery, but that’s the easy part. The hard part is figuring out how much of that is valid traffic, and that requires some human intelligence, which means it takes forever. Just because two servers are currently communicating doesn’t mean they should be.

Security policies applied to groups would have to have at a minimum the security group as either the source or destination address. Otherwise you're not really applying the policy to the security group in any meaningful way. It's the same thing with referencing an object group in a rule on an ASA or an EPG with an ACI contract. You can also order the multiple layers in the policy as you define it so you could model out pretty complex application topologies.

On the weighting, if you change a value it will actually display in the order it will resolve in when you go to the firewall tab so you can easily sort out how something's going to be processed on the DFW even if everything's done through service composer. Once you start working in this way it starts becoming a more natural approach up to a pretty decent scale (thousands of VMs supporting hundreds of apps.)

Regarding physical firewall rules, we generally don't create an analog for all of them since there will either be a lot unneeded overlap. For example we create all-encompassing security groups for things like windows servers, monitoring servers, etc. You start getting to the point where you stop caring about endpoint IPs and ports.

Regarding assessments and human intelligence taking forever, we've found the hardest part for most enterprises was just proving the traffic was there. Once that's done its generally not too labor intensive or difficult to decide what needs to actually communicate with what. We've seen this play out in SLED and a number of creaky old retail customers surprisingly well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

1000101 posted:

Security policies applied to groups would have to have at a minimum the security group as either the source or destination address. Otherwise you're not really applying the policy to the security group in any meaningful way.

Right, and that's the issue. If I have a three tier app that I want to enforce security on I can't actually do that with a single policy because one of the security groups will need to be present in every rule. So if I have App/Web/DB tiers then I can model web-to-app communication in a policy but not app-to-db in that same policy. Rather than just creating a single firewall section that contains all of the rules to model communication for that application I need to create multiple security groups and then use weights to keep them contiguous in the firewall so it's relatively easy to see the rules that define an application. This isn't a technical problem, but it's a quality of life issue that customers seem to struggle with. They find it harder to work with service composer versus simply creating rules where they'd like the to go in the firewall and having more direct control of the layout of sections and rules. I also struggle to see the value of service composer. Yes, I want repeatable security policy, but if I'm re-using the same exact set of rules multiple times I could simply target multiple source/destinations in a single firewall rule, or create new security groups to nest those groups in. For orchestrated workflows it makes more sense because it's easier to attach apply a policy to a group in something like VRA than it is to edit an existing firewall rule, and safer to boot, but for manual configuration it's kind of kludgy.

There is also a technical issue with service composer, which is that you cannot intelligently limit the "Applied To" behavior of the DFW when using it. This rule that was created manually works fine and ensures that only VMs that need to know about the rule have it applied to their rule table, which is good when your rule table gets very big.

This rule was created by service composer and does not actually work:

Service composer only gives you the option of setting "Applied To" to either the entire DFW or the security groups the policy is applied to, but that leads to rules that don't work unless you double up on creating rules to allow traffic out from the source and allow traffic in to the destination. And you can't change the firewall direction in service composer either so that's really the only workaround.

Basically it lacks the same flexibility that you have by adding and editing straight in the DFW and the benefits of using it, currently, are questionable. I understand that VMware really wants it to be used but after a couple of projects where I tried to convince customers to do it this way, and after talking with some of our other NSX guys, I've backed away from trying to suggest that service composer is the correct and proper way to manage to manage the DFW, versus just a way to manage it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Look at all of you in regular contact with your management. My boss manages about 15 people and I generally see him for a “team” meeting every other week or so where the same three people bitch about the same two organizational issues that have been unresolved for 5+ years. I have a 1:1 with him a couple times a year. We all work in the same office. He’s probably 50 steps away from my desk at all times but is scared of us because he doesn’t understand what we do (I’m a mostly Windows sysadmin).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aunt Beth posted:

Look at all of you in regular contact with your management. My boss manages about 15 people and I generally see him for a “team” meeting every other week or so where the same three people bitch about the same two organizational issues that have been unresolved for 5+ years. I have a 1:1 with him a couple times a year. We all work in the same office. He’s probably 50 steps away from my desk at all times but is scared of us because he doesn’t understand what we do (I’m a mostly Windows sysadmin).
I get horrible impostor syndrome every once in awhile, let's keep stories like this coming

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Aunt Beth posted:

Having a boss who is not IT is a mixed bag. On the one hand if you gently caress up it’s pretty easy to handwave away with some technobabble. On the other explaining basic premises like “no I did not send out that email asking for your Office365 password” can get tedious.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't mind being managed by someone who isn't on the same level as me, but I would like them to read. Spent a few hours putting together an Azure Backup proposal with estimated pricing and an implementation plan, this guy turns around and presents it as though it's a migration of every on-premises VM into :yaycloud:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anybody set up a Gluu server before? Wouldn't be for business use. Just something to play around with any maybe if it's not a huge PIAA for small stuff here and there on a personal level.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I was looking at our bill from AT&T, because as we've established in this thread previously I do everything for low pay, and noticed we where paying for both Fiber and DSL. The fiber line has all the traffic through it, and the DSL line has 0 traffic through it, and in fact, as I looked through the network closet I confirmed that in fact, the DSL wasn't connected to anything at all. When I told my boss we should probably cancel it to save a few bucks, I was told that that was our backup internet. So my thought process as to why this is kinda dumb was It's not hooked up to anything so it can't be a backup, unless my predecessor had actually hooked it up to the modem and switch, and in cases in which our fiber would be out, Backbone issue or building infrastructure issue the DSL would be out as well as the Fiber. Am I right in thinking the previous and If you had to actually have a backup internet connection, wouldn't you want at least another carrier handling it, if not a satellite or mobile hot spots to mitigate the aforementioned issues.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 11, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

you should have a different carrier, yeah.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It depends on the outage. If your fibre NTE fails then the DSL is going to continue to work. If there's a failure in your ISPs network then the DSL won't help you. If the DSLAM is in the basement and fed off the same fibre bundle that provides the service to your office then anybody digging up the street is going to break both services.

DSL is cheap, it's probably worth keeping if a low bandwidth connection is useful to you in any way in the event of a failure on the fibre. If people can just work on cloud apps tethered to their mobile phones in the event of an outage then it's possibly not worth keeping it around. Maybe you can keep your telephones running over it if you use SIP.

There's many different degrees of failover, from multihoming with different carriers down to having a firewall manage the failover to a broadband line by updating the NAT rules. It's really up to you and the needs of the business how crazy you go with it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 11, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Different service class, different carrier, and generally want it to be hooked up and pre-configured on an edge device that supports fail-over so you don't have to do any finagling during an outage.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I fought unsuccessfully for years to get a backup connection put in for the main site that hosts all production services in North America. Guess what happens when the line gets cut? North America goes black.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you ever end up in any kind of leadership, please meet with each and every person on your team regularly one on one. Like weekly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey jaegerx, the only thing coming home is your team's plane

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey jaegerx, the only thing coming home is your team's plane

too soon man. it's barely over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Our retail locations have MetroE, VSAT, and now LTE. Backups upon backups upon backups.

The Cisco LTE routers are pretty sweet.

Aunt Beth posted:

This is the first job where my managers aren't technical and I hate it. Especially when they hit me up asking for info on tickets they have full access to but apparently can't parse. One manager is a goony looking fucker. How can he not know the tech? So he looks like a complete dork and still doesn't know IT?