Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kild posted:

If Eren doesn't want her to just die why would he impregnate her, if anything Zeke would be more likely just to have a stronger royal bloodline since they're both royal muts :puke:

Zeke wasn't on the island and they couldn't be sure when he was going to make it over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kild posted:

If Eren doesn't want her to just die why would he impregnate her, if anything Zeke would be more likely just to have a stronger royal bloodline since they're both royal muts :puke:

Maybe they figured out human artificial insemination, or in vitro fertilization using modified adult cells for the male half genetic material. I dunno, this is a series where people turn into meat mecha after being injected with other meat mecha's spinal fluid, they could conceivably have figured out a process that doesn't require full consent from both parties.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Well that was loving depressing read

Straight up murdering all the friendly Marley after getting serums even with 3 years of mingling behind them. Gabi still keeping her killing streak going. Eren, Zeke and Historia being prisoners on their own ways.

It is still baffling how I can't predict even 10% of the stuff that's going to happen chapter to chapter, always getting more surprising and depressing developments. :smith:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I have a bad feeling Pixis and friends are planning on making some pure titans

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

waiting for them to team up with anime italy

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sub Harrison posted:

I have a bad feeling Pixis and friends are planning on making some pure titans

They'll need to if they want to pass on the shifter ability.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"We'll dine with you in hell."

"We've already made the reservation."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Taikuri posted:

Straight up murdering all the friendly Marley after getting serums even with 3 years of mingling behind them. Gabi still keeping her killing streak going. Eren, Zeke and Historia being prisoners on their own ways.

It is still baffling how I can't predict even 10% of the stuff that's going to happen chapter to chapter, always getting more surprising and depressing developments. :smith:

Thats not what's happening.

They are threatening Zeke's group because they refuse to release Zeke. The rest of the Friendly Marley's are still around. It appears they are just arresting not killing Zeke's group.

Also Historia while not happy was the one who decided to make an heir for the good of everything. From the looks in that meeting the majority there were against it.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

also, lol historia. five years later and she's as much of a puppet as she ever was, and now she gets to be a baby factory, too.

Good chapter. The realpolitik was a definite improvement from the touchy-feely kumbaya crap from last month.

Historia is the one who made the call there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 6, 2018

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Wasn't Eren gone too long to be the father? It seemed like he just got back more or less, and she is very far along.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is the dialogue getting worst? Or maybe is just an awful translation, because I couldn't make sense of at least half of it

So help me please why they took Zeke to the forest?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It’s definitely just the translation quality considering this is the fan translated reddit typeset.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the translation was bad but I think they took him there because nobody could get to him on the trees without the 3dmg and the beast titan himself has nothing to throw so he's just a regular titan there. if zeke himself tries to escape, levi will turn into a blender and deal with it

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have to admit, I'm a little worried we may stay in Paradise longer than I'd like, given Zeke's continuing machinations and Gabi is probably going to murder Historia and her fetus, and we're probably have some cuts to seeing how lovely the political and personal situation has gotten in Marley.

I'm gonna keep up faith, though: can't really have a satisfying world war arc without more than one big, bloody battle, ya know? I personally hope we find out the Paradisians figured out firebombs and bomber aircraft, myself.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Viridiant posted:

I remember when I thought that Ymir and Historia might get a happy ending lmao.
:smith:

Is it now somehow impossible for this to end with Historia eating the Jaw Titan, so she could have Ymir floating around in her collective unconscious?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is it now somehow impossible for this to end with Historia eating the Jaw Titan, so she could have Ymir floating around in her collective unconscious?

I didn't think of that. I suppose that's the best these two could hope for at this point.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm not too hot on the reveal of the secret Japanese tattoo just being the App Store logo but with swords instead of pens and brushes. Also how Mikasa is like, a princess? Or the rightful heir to the Shogunate? I'm going to need to wait for a real translation to figure out what the deal was with Eldian-Japanese relations, both historic and modern. They sold them magic rocks? They want magic rocks to kit their own soldiers with grappling gear?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Not a special heir or anything
Just one of the clan who was left behind.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I decided to read the volumes that have been animated so far in order to prepare for season 3 and welp I read everything. The last couple chapters have just been kind of an unrelenting bummer, huh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The entire series is an unrelenting bummer broken up by brief bouts of false hope

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm not too hot on the reveal of the secret Japanese tattoo just being the App Store logo but with swords instead of pens and brushes. Also how Mikasa is like, a princess? Or the rightful heir to the Shogunate? I'm going to need to wait for a real translation to figure out what the deal was with Eldian-Japanese relations, both historic and modern. They sold them magic rocks? They want magic rocks to kit their own soldiers with grappling gear?

Official translation is out and you’re correct.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

The entire series is an unrelenting bummer broken up by brief bouts of false hope

Yeah, it's kickass, I love it so much for that.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

You can really start to see the Carl Fritz's perspective for isolating the Eldians. To run your Titan empire you need to turn your kinsmen into mindless monsters but not so mindless that they aren't aware of their fate worse than hell. Then you have to constantly watch your back for people trying to eat you and take your power, you die young and you have to let your children/nieces/nephews eat you alive (and because you're constantly eating your children the matriarch has to bear children every couple years).

I'm interested in learning more about these anime rocks and more about Paradis in general. If the iceburst stones came from titans, could that mean the gas from the 3DMG and titan vapor are the same thing? Reiss said the cave was built by the first king but it seems that's a false history passed down through the royal family.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is the dialogue getting worst? Or maybe is just an awful translation, because I couldn't make sense of at least half of it

So help me please why they took Zeke to the forest?

I think it’s just to make it difficult for him to escape. He’s a massive Titan, so he’s going to struggle to move through the giant dense forest, no boulders for him to throw, and hard for him to throw anything else in that confined space. Also perfect environment for their gear to work.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

You can really start to see the Carl Fritz's perspective for isolating the Eldians.

This is pretty insightful. I already had thought of how the heroes are repeating the same mistakes, and what they are doing isn't better than the last king, but you are right, now we see how Carl Fritz strange decision of total isolation, delete memories, etc was actually justified.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and thus the spiral nemesis looms ever nearer

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
With better knowledge of the full situation, I don't think Eren is quite as stupid as I initially thought he was for launching his little solo mission. Considering the the existing plan seems to amount to using Titans as deterrents (which they don't actually have a mastery of) until Paradis can modernize, and in the meantime they do the same heinous poo poo the old guys in charge were doing, the reaction of "NAH gently caress THAT" is a bit more justified.

Granted, he may have made things worse by going off and launching a solo attack, but y'know, at least I can see that he did it for a reason other than "RARGH VENGEANCE"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OnimaruXLR posted:

With better knowledge of the full situation, I don't think Eren is quite as stupid as I initially thought he was for launching his little solo mission. Considering the the existing plan seems to amount to using Titans as deterrents (which they don't actually have a mastery of) until Paradis can modernize, and in the meantime they do the same heinous poo poo the old guys in charge were doing, the reaction of "NAH gently caress THAT" is a bit more justified.

Granted, he may have made things worse by going off and launching a solo attack, but y'know, at least I can see that he did it for a reason other than "RARGH VENGEANCE"

WallTitans/FlattenTheWorld 2020, my friend. You know they have my vote.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I really like Eren. gently caress this poo poo, tear it all down, bro.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Attack on Titan has been the most surprising (in a good way) series. For most of its run, it was a good, but not too unusual*, shounen series, but then it suddenly made most of the characters Actual Adults and had the plot go in a direction that is radically different from what you'd normally see from the genre. I'd really like to have been a fly on the wall during the discussions Isayama had with his editor/publishers about the direction he wanted to take things, because it was a pretty big risk and there was an obvious "safer" direction he could have gone that would have still retained the series' popularity.

*It had some violence/brutality, but even that isn't too unheard of in certain shounen titles

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

People complain of the Uprising arc (the one coming now to anime in a pair of weeks) as it was slower, had more talking, and less titan fighting but it was the start of what we have now. It wasn't his best (this being the third Eren kidnapping was irritating), but it's where Isayama started seriously to try to make something more than an action series with a mystery backstory going on. It started to look at political maneuvering, military dictatorships, propaganda, different factions between humans with diverging goals, more grey morality for the heroes, and of course some mysteries of the Reiss family were solved.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Huh, season 3's opening will not be by Linked Horizon, but X-Japan feat. HYDE of L'Arc-en-Ciel.

On one hand, those are some incredibly high profile names.
On the other hand, it feels weird not having LH do the OP.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kyte posted:

Huh, season 3's opening will not be by Linked Horizon, but X-Japan feat. HYDE of L'Arc-en-Ciel.

On one hand, those are some incredibly high profile names.
On the other hand, it feels weird not having LH do the OP.

i swear if that op is not heart-pounding metal fascist, the entire season is dead to me

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Taikuri posted:

I thought it was more that they were locking them up and not executing them, based on the dialogue. It is a tense scene though and I wouldn't be shocked if they were getting killed off.

I think Eren's going to find a different path to save his country, though I can't quite picture what it could be right now. The pseudo-Japanese really want the 3D-gear fuel for something, so that could be a possible angle on an alternate deterrent. Maybe they're close to something similar to an atomic bomb in destructive power, and that unique resource is the key ingredient?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

NowonSA posted:

I thought it was more that they were locking them up and not executing them, based on the dialogue. It is a tense scene though and I wouldn't be shocked if they were getting killed off.

I think Eren's going to find a different path to save his country, though I can't quite picture what it could be right now. The pseudo-Japanese really want the 3D-gear fuel for something, so that could be a possible angle on an alternate deterrent. Maybe they're close to something similar to an atomic bomb in destructive power, and that unique resource is the key ingredient?

Turns out they're making actual Gundams over in Not-Japan. No more of this gross meat-puppet mecha.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main thing that makes me think that they aren't shot to death is the fact that the Paradisians are literally in a circular firing squad.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't believe the Marleyans all loving ducked at the same time and became the main cast.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Is the president of not-Asia randomly drooling going to be a chekhov's gun or is she a reptilian?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was kind of weird. Maybe Isayama didn't trust his audience to realize that when a politician says she doesn't covet your unique and incredibly valuable natural resources she's probably lying. :raise:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Shneak posted:

Is the president of not-Asia randomly drooling going to be a chekhov's gun or is she a reptilian?

I think she was literally drooling over the profit her corporation could make from the untapped resources on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Members of the upper echelon of political leadership in the world of AoT are frequently characterized not only by their moral bankrupcy but also their sexual deviancy as well. See: Zackley (poo poo machine) and Rod Reiss (prostitutes). Arguably, Pixas (vore fetish) too.

So Hirizu's leader literally salivating at the idea of Paradis' untapped resources is just more of the same perversion. Given the way she fawned over Mikasa's body and health, I'm expecting she's ready to breed Mikasa like a cow if she ever gets her hands on her.