Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

tinytort posted:

I also keep getting calls in Chinese (the only bit I understand or recognize is "ni hao"), and I have no idea why. I think it's also a robocall, since there isn't any reaction when I try and go "you have the wrong number" or "I can't understand you".

I'm getting one or two of these every week. If anyone finds out what it is, ease let us know. Mine always come from a D.C. area code (202).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Just start yelling stats about the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I'm getting one or two of these every week. If anyone finds out what it is, ease let us know. Mine always come from a D.C. area code (202).

I got a call like that once. When I looked up the number, it was for the Chinese Embassy. I'm going to guess it's a scam spoofing their number.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone know of a way to stave off or end spam spoofed calls? I get at least a few a week, always from either my home TX area code or the two TX and FL area codes where the rest of my family are from. I just don’t answer unless it’s a number I know and figure anything worth listening to will leave a message, but drat it gets annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have Nomorobo. It works to a degree I think. I still get a few slip through but not too many now. I ignore any calls from numbers I don’t have saved/or ordered an Uber or food or whatever.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have Nomorobo. It works to a degree I think. I still get a few slip through but not too many now. I ignore any calls from numbers I don’t have saved/or ordered an Uber or food or whatever.

You mentioning places you order food from reminded me of something from way back.

Roughly ten years ago, I got my credit reports from the big three companies. Not just scores, but the full reports. On one of them, they had listed as a former residence of mine the address of a Chinese restaurant that I went to exactly once, about five years prior.

In those years, I never once had a fraudulent charge. Of course, I was also dirt poor and had craptacular credit. Did someone try to do something with my card number, and realized, "lol, I can't do poo poo with this", or what? It's always been a curious mystery to me.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

tinytort posted:

I also keep getting calls in Chinese (the only bit I understand or recognize is "ni hao"), and I have no idea why. I think it's also a robocall, since there isn't any reaction when I try and go "you have the wrong number" or "I can't understand you".

its a Chinese recording right? If its the same one everyone else is getting, I put it on speaker phone for a chinese co-worker. Turns out its the classic scam; you've won some Chinese lottery, but you just need to pay some legal fees (because you are not in china right now) and then you can get your winnings.

classics never die.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
We get the tax office calling scam in English and Chinese here in Australia. It's tax time so most people get hit by some sort of text or call.

The message usually is someone claiming you have a warrant against you and you need to call this number... Then get you to pay in iTunes gift cards if not wire cash to an interstate account.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

ianmacdo posted:

its a Chinese recording right? If its the same one everyone else is getting, I put it on speaker phone for a chinese co-worker. Turns out its the classic scam; you've won some Chinese lottery, but you just need to pay some legal fees (because you are not in china right now) and then you can get your winnings.

classics never die.

I assume it's a recording, since I've tried "I don't understand you" a couple times and the voice on the other end hasn't even paused or acted like it heard me.

I also assumed it was someone looking for the previous owner of this number, though, because as best I can tell, she dropped off the face of the earth; forgetting (or "forgetting") to update your number with loan payment people is one thing, but normally you tell your daycare provider that your number has changed. So an upgrade to "and now someone from China is chasing after this lady for money" wouldn't have been that surprising.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have gotten numerous calls from the "IRS" about a lawsuit or warrant against me. Only the IRS VERY RARELY calls, if ever. And not about owing them money.

I do keep getting robocalls that leave a VM, except only half the voicemail is there. I own a business so gets tons of poo poo calls every day with people trying to sell me services or other poo poo I can't actually afford, never leaving messages but totally willing to call like six times a day because if I am not interested in something my mind can TOTALLY be changed by annoying the gently caress out of me. One "automotive rentals inc" keeps calling me daily.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah we constantly get calls from sales people trying to get through to the manager under false pretenses. I'm not sure if they think "Well, they managed to fool our workers they must be a great company who deserve my business!" or what. Everyone just gets put "on hold while I connect you" now. Hold is the park feature.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah we constantly get calls from sales people trying to get through to the manager under false pretenses. I'm not sure if they think "Well, they managed to fool our workers they must be a great company who deserve my business!" or what. Everyone just gets put "on hold while I connect you" now. Hold is the park feature.

One place I worked at, our finance manager got so sick of the "can I speak to the person in charge of buying ink and toner supplies?" cold calls (and the employees that would transfer those instead of hanging up), she had a extension set up that just went to a phone with the ringer off in a closet somewhere. If someone called my line asking that, I cheerfully said "sure! Let me just transfer you!", hit the 4 digit Extension Number to Nowhere, and went on with my day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One place I worked at, our finance manager got so sick of the "can I speak to the person in charge of buying ink and toner supplies?" cold calls (and the employees that would transfer those instead of hanging up), she had a extension set up that just went to a phone with the ringer off in a closet somewhere. If someone called my line asking that, I cheerfully said "sure! Let me just transfer you!", hit the 4 digit Extension Number to Nowhere, and went on with my day.

https://soundcloud.com/user-237714155/sales-call-abyss

Really, really reconsider using headphones.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JacquelineDempsey posted:

that's genius

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Its been too long since this hellish thing was shared in thread.

ears beware.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Its been too long since this hellish thing was shared in thread.

ears beware.

Seven hours and two posts, yeah this really takes me back.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

That's clever, though you're not going to get PINs that way.

A few pages back but they actually did ATM skimmers here too, and they had installed mini cameras above the pin code pad. It was pretty advanced.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Midjack posted:

Seven hours and two posts, yeah this really takes me back.

This is what I get for not checking before making a post. My bad, mea culpa, and also oopsies

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Raldikuk posted:

Depends on state. In MN employers have to pay within 30 days of hours worked

And if you quit/get fired, they have to cut you your last check within 24 hours.

CH Robinson held my last check for over 3 weeks, I had to file a DOL complaint to get them to pay up.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

It's the Chinese embassy calling. There's a problem with your immigration status and you need to send them a wire transfer to fix it. Basically the standard "trouble with the IRS" scam but tailored to areas with a high Chinese immigrant community.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Saeku posted:

It's the Chinese embassy calling. There's a problem with your immigration status and you need to send them a wire transfer to fix it. Basically the standard "trouble with the IRS" scam but tailored to areas with a high Chinese immigrant community.

That makes me wonder why they're calling me, then. I am as white as the driven snow, my international experience consists of a few trips to Ontario, I literally don't know a single word of Chinese, and I've had this number for 15 years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

That makes me wonder why they're calling me, then. I am as white as the driven snow, my international experience consists of a few trips to Ontario, I literally don't know a single word of Chinese, and I've had this number for 15 years.

They're just dialing numbers in sequence. Yours came up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The probability of reaching mainlander with dodgy visa status in Canada is pretty high (lol??)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spotted this in the UK TV thread, might be of interest to some as I know this subject has come up in here recently.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Holy poo poo, theres a Ch4 show called Celebrity Sextortion about a guy who got recorded wanking on his webcam and got blackmailed. And he's hosting the show!

A retired tennis player whose name is somehow Dan Lobb.

More like Dan Knobb

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's the most painful way to waste the time of the robocallers? I'm getting them every other day now, of course spoofing my area code and I decided to ask today if I could get off their list and the guy said 'gently caress you rear end in a top hat' and hung up.

Or is the best way simply following the algorithm of "Are you expecting a phone call today / do you have kids that might be emergency calling?" and if the answer is "no" then letting it go to voicemail?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

movax posted:

What's the most painful way to waste the time of the robocallers? I'm getting them every other day now, of course spoofing my area code and I decided to ask today if I could get off their list and the guy said 'gently caress you rear end in a top hat' and hung up.

Or is the best way simply following the algorithm of "Are you expecting a phone call today / do you have kids that might be emergency calling?" and if the answer is "no" then letting it go to voicemail?

Lenny is a great bot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoOrlh5i1k

It's a series of prerecorded messages that trigger whenever there's a gap in the conversation, designed to keep them in the telemarketer script as long as possible. There's a guy with a ton of lennybots set up, and you can set things up to forward to Lenny from your phone

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 10, 2018

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

movax posted:

This is what I do. If it's not a number I recognize, it goes to voicemail. If they don't leave a message, it wasn't important.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is what I do. If it's not a number I recognize, it goes to voicemail. If they don't leave a message, it wasn't important.

Same. If the number doesn’t show a name from my address book, it doesn’t get answered. If it’s someone that legitimately needs to speak with me, they’ll leave a message. It’s too bad that it’s come to this, you’d think there would be a technological fix, but the present telephone system is a steaming pile of fuckwads.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Similarly, everyone under a certain age being confused that serial killers were ever a thing because what, people used to just answer their doors?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

movax posted:

I called that FCC number or whatever it was. I posted it a few pages back and it's actually worked wonders on my robocall bullshit

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

I called that FCC number or whatever it was. I posted it a few pages back and it's actually worked wonders on my robocall bullshit

I've been reporting numbers on the website for weeks. Have not felt any reduction in robocalls.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've been reporting numbers on the website for weeks. Have not felt any reduction in robocalls.

Did you re-register your number? It expires after 36 mos I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Proteus Jones posted:

I registered less than 36 months ago, and I confirmed that it was registered before I started complaining.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Robocalls are difficult to deal with because there's a spoofing arms race right now. I think a lot of them are also international so the FCC can't do much more than just :shrug: and wish they could do something about it.

Lately I've been getting random robocalls that don't even say what they're selling. The voicemail basically just starts mid sentence and then says "Press 2 to be placed on our do not call list!" then spouts some other bullshit. I don't even know what the calls are about. It's just the same recording of a lady telling my voice mail to press 2.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I got the dumbest robocall the other day.

This guy in a weird synthesized voice tells me he's an officer with the internet security force and there's been strange activity on my IP address. I need to call them before they block it. Then he says something about blocking my landline. A woman's voice then gives me a number to call, and then says that if I want to be put on their do not call list, to press 2.

I felt like I was listening to a neural network which was trained on a couple of scams and then set loose upon the world. :psyduck:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's intentional. They only want the truly gullible to call back, the last thing they want is to spend half an hour on the phone with a victim that realizes the IRS doesn't usually accept payment in the form of iTunes gift cards.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Website says:

Uncle Sam posted:

Registrations on the National Do Not Call Registry DO NOT EXPIRE. If you have previously registered your number, there is no need to register again.

Been registered since 2008. gently caress telemarketers / robot-callers. They don't cost anyone important any money so nothing will ever happen.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I got the dumbest robocall the other day.

This guy in a weird synthesized voice tells me he's an officer with the internet security force and there's been strange activity on my IP address. I need to call them before they block it. Then he says something about blocking my landline. A woman's voice then gives me a number to call, and then says that if I want to be put on their do not call list, to press 2.

I felt like I was listening to a neural network which was trained on a couple of scams and then set loose upon the world. :psyduck:

Hey, I got one like that several months ago!

But what would happen if somebody complied with the internet security force and hit 2?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I wonder if hitting 2/take me off the list just marks you as a live/responsive number (obviously not taking you off), or would that happen if you picked up in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's exactly what it's for. Pressing 2 shows you answered, and despite all the information out there telling you not to believe scammers saying you'll be taken off a list - you did it anyway. Flags you as a mark, rather than wasting time with people who have any skepticism.