Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

I think the endgame for current gen GPUs is MSRP with a bundled game or two. Nobody is really gonna buy them at higher prices with next gen imminent, and the OEMs would rather return the cards to NV if they can't sell at MSRP.

Is this really a thing though? I mean why would NVidia agree to take back chips they already sold, when everyone understands the market is so volatile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I found a true believer today.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tremors posted:

I found a true believer today.

Yeah I saw a CT plate HODL while I was driving, this one is even worse because it means two people in Indiana both tried to get the same plate...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What is hodl? Hanging On for Dear Life?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Craptacular! posted:

What is hodl? Hanging On for Dear Life?
I think it means Heroically Owning Delicious Litecoins

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

Is this really a thing though? I mean why would NVidia agree to take back chips they already sold, when everyone understands the market is so volatile?

most likely it is in their contract. an OEM doesn't just call up nvidia and buy a million chips for cash. they sign big contracts about sales and they may have the ability to return excess supply just like retail stores can return unsold product in many cases.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zero VGS posted:

Remember the good old days where we can get ~$100 9800GTs, GTX460s, HD5850s etc when those cards aren't really that much slower than the latest and greatest back then. I doubt AMD/NV and the OEMs makes any profit at those prices and all of them eventually realize how stupid that was.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Acceptable sacrifices in order maintain the required hashrates.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A few large farms got hit by flooding so it could just be damaged items being thrown out, not someone giving up on mining

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

A few large farms got hit by flooding so it could just be damaged items being thrown out, not someone giving up on mining

I mean that makes a lot more sense than anything else since all of that is obviously worth money if it were working. Still...what a sight

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mining on the blockchain floodplain

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thank you for your service

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Klyith posted:

mining on the blockchain floodplain

idk why they stopped, floodplains give +1 to food; did it get replaced by a farm or did they put a district up

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
soon to be on ebay: 100 rx 480s, smoke free environment, never used to mine, no water damage. All sale final, no returns.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Always thought hodl was just a typo of hold which became a meme that then lost its irony.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Well, you're right.

Although there's an implied [so I can sell] after it

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not mining because of power costs but almost a year later Winminer did send me my 20 dollar certificate for Amazon just now. No idea what the hold up was, but I'm at net zero in terms of being scammed.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

craig588 posted:

No idea what the hold up was
bitcoin

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
they just had to make the money they needed to pay you, totally solvent.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

craig588 posted:

I'm not mining because of power costs but almost a year later Winminer did send me my 20 dollar certificate for Amazon just now. No idea what the hold up was, but I'm at net zero in terms of being scammed.

I got like $800 in Amazon bucks from them and they always got me an egift card within like 5 minutes of requesting one. They did tell me they're done 100% manually so maybe they didn't notice yours at the time. Or yeah, maybe they were insolvent.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
so is anyone here still mining at home? how is it?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How are the strawberries nice and dry?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
It made sense during the winter but no loving way am I doing it while it's 90 out.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm hodling my 20 bucks worth of mined bitcoins dont @ me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm still mining

Steamworld Dig 2 is pretty fun

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Upda8 on my m8

As you may or most likely may not recall, I posted that a mate of mine borrowed 15k USD to 'invest' into bitcoin and shitcoin(s) back when bitcoin was worth 17k per coin.

I stopped asking him how it was going when bitcoin had fallen to 11k.

We just had a laugh over how it's now at 6k and change, and he's resigned to simply paying off the loan, and happy he's "not come out of it with nothing"

As in, he's still holding "assets".

Fair enough, I s'pose. A good mental attitude is always the first step.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 11, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buy high sell low.

If he had at least invested into mining he could have assets to sell

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Upda8 on my m8

As you may or most likely may not recall, I posted that a mate of mine borrowed 100k to 'invest' into bitcoin and shitcoin(s) back when bitcoin was worth 17k per coin.

I stopped asking him how it was going when bitcoin had fallen to 11k.

We just had a laugh over how it's now at 6k and change, and he's resigned to simply paying off the loan, and happy he's "not come out of it with nothing"

As in, he's still holding "assets".

Fair enough, I s'pose. A good mental attitude is always the first step.

You don't lose anything it you never sell it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
He'll be the last one laughing when he's still hodling when it recovers back to 20k!

Seriously, though, what the hell is his income if he's laughing off losing ~$65k?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Whups that was 100k in my currency which is about 15k USD.

About half his yearly take-home.

Well, I say 'had a laugh' but more like I laughed and he didn't.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

He'll be the last one laughing when he's still hodling when it recovers back to 20k!

Seriously, though, what the hell is his income if he's laughing off losing ~$65k?

When people lose absurdly large amounts of money what else can you do but laugh? Cry I guess, but presumably he already did that in the privacy of his own home?

Serious question, what reaction would he have had to take for you to not assume he had an enormous income?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

QuarkJets posted:

Serious question, what reaction would he have had to take for you to not assume he had an enormous income?

At losing $100k (I'd bet more like $200k after interest)? Probably morose remarks about how he'd completely hosed himself financially for the next 10+ years, how he shouldn't have done it, etc. I mean, without hyperbole, that's the sort of unmitigated loss that causes some people to contemplate suicide.

$15k is more understandable as a "yeah, it'll hurt, but that's what I get for being dumb" reaction.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

100k by August guys

Arteryman
Mar 18, 2006
If you don't try you can't lose.
Never really thought to post here about my mining adventures but I've been mining since about 2012 starting with 7950's mining Litecoin and now with primarily 470's and 1080ti's. It makes the place a little warmer and louder but it's a decently fun hobby.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really dont think the big use GPU sell off people are wishing for is going to happen. Most current gen GPUs that are paid off are still profitable to run and will be for awhile

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

I really dont think the big use GPU sell off people are wishing for is going to happen. Most current gen GPUs that are paid off are still profitable to run and will be for awhile

Used 1080 Tis are already under $550, 1080s are pushing $350.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats still nothing like the $80 280x dumps. It makes sense that the most expensive GPUs see the largest drops.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 27, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Arteryman posted:

Never really thought to post here about my mining adventures but I've been mining since about 2012 starting with 7950's mining Litecoin and now with primarily 470's and 1080ti's. It makes the place a little warmer and louder but it's a decently fun hobby.

My hobby is having my PC run YouTube on autoplay all day without a monitor connected. It makes the place a little warmer and louder but it's a decently fun hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

My hobby is having my PC run YouTube on autoplay all day without a monitor connected. It makes the place a little warmer and louder but it's a decently fun hobby.

Make sure you have ad block so you don't accidentally make someone money

• Locked thread