Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Absolutely bizarre. You've bought into every right wing talking point to justify why Labour should have self-immolated and given the Commons to the Tories, which somehow would have stopped Brexit(?!?)
Labour cannot and have not stopped Brexit or even done anything to slightly ameliorate brexit despite having Some seats. Instead they have helped sell a Tory lie to the public about how viable the whole thing is. It's a dereliction of duty for the opposition to do that but there we go, the leader wanted it so it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Yeah I remember last month when Labour passed a slew of amendments to the brexit bill oh wait

jBrereton posted:

Labour cannot and have not stopped Brexit or even done anything to slightly ameliorate brexit despite having Some seats. Instead they have helped sell a Tory lie to the public about how viable the whole thing is. It's a dereliction of duty for the opposition to do that but there we go, the leader wanted it so it's happening.

:ironicat:

Dude, do yourself a favour and stop before you'll go full lib dem FBPE crazymode, tia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

Because vulture capital would go absolutely loving mental on a Labour government inheriting a 120% debt to GDP ratio also going through with cutting its nose off to spite its face

okay so assuming for a second that Labour decides it doesn't want to do a Brexit because vulture capital is going to do a number on the UK, what kind of leverage would it have on the EU to let it do so in a way that wouldn't let the EU extract very painful concessions anyway?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its coming home

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cerebral Bore posted:

And more flailing as you badly attempt to ignore the fact that a Tory government with a huge majority could just run all the way to no-deal Brexit without anybody able to stop them.

but a large portion of the tory party doesn't want a no deal brexit?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jose posted:

its coming home

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I am just saying you are revealing the assumptions innate to your ideology, friend, when you construction of increasing state revenue is “borrow an arbitrary amount” instead of taxation - and “but what if capital takes its ball and goes home!!!” ain’t helping

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jose posted:

its coming home

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay so assuming for a second that Labour decides it doesn't want to do a Brexit because vulture capital is going to do a number on the UK, what kind of leverage would it have on the EU to let it do so in a way that wouldn't let the EU extract very painful concessions anyway?
absolutely none whatsoever but if they let us stay at least the government won't have to magic up a customs system and EEA compliant regulatory framework out of thin air in the hopes it can keep trade to the EU going, and also try to make 200 trade deals by itself while everyone who's ever been done over by Britain in the past (ie everyone) has this one precious opportunity to gently caress them right back.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

its coming home
yes you're right I will stop posting until it comes home, later

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fukken lmao at all the Brits itt acting like brexit isn't going to be an all or nothing affair. "Making a deal" on Brexit implies the eu is gonna play ball, which they ain't. Y'all are either gonna get booted all the way the gently caress out with all that entitles or yall are gonna start using the euro when then Germans make an example of you and release the new "the English are dumber than pigshit" five euro bill that has a pic of the queen with a dick in her mouth

then against ignoring that a governing body your gov and media has been making GBS threads on actually has free agency and an agenda is a common anglosphere problem

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol Germany only controls the EU with an ironfist because Britain retreated from its own power and influence over Europe.

Also I'd rather live under Merkel than The Tories.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Whorelord posted:

but a large portion of the tory party doesn't want a no deal brexit?

Yeah, which is why May is hosed right now, but with a big victory behind her and a huge majority that portion could have been sidelined.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thom12255 posted:

Lol Germany only controls the EU with an ironfist because Britain retreated from its own power and influence over Europe.

Also I'd rather live under Merkel than The Tories.

Batty old cripple Wilhelm just lolin' from the afterlife.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

Fukken lmao at all the Brits itt acting like brexit isn't going to be an all or nothing affair. "Making a deal" on Brexit implies the eu is gonna play ball, which they ain't. Y'all are either gonna get booted all the way the gently caress out with all that entitles or yall are gonna start using the euro when then Germans make an example of you and release the new "the English are dumber than pigshit" five euro bill that has a pic of the queen with a dick in her mouth

then against ignoring that a governing body your gov and media has been making GBS threads on actually has free agency and an agenda is a common anglosphere problem

can't wait for ww3 when it's a literal mirror image of ww2, where germans and japanese are the opportunist capitalists invading usa and britain under the pretense of liberating people from fash after someone else has done all the heavy lifting for them.

also russia having a revolution a couple years in, but this time they have nukes.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/jackcevans/status/1017043359003807746

lol

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I'd be surprised if it wasn't the first time since 1834

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

if there's anywhere people are going to keep their money to get taxed, it's a country which can't feed itself, is clearly in political turmoil, won't have any extant trade deals, doesn't have any customs infrastructure, and uses its own currency you won't even be able to do profitable financial services with after it stops being useful to the EU states as a clearing house and the banks go to Amsterdam, Paris, or Frankfurt-am-Main.

329 short the pound erryday.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, which is why May is hosed right now, but with a big victory behind her and a huge majority that portion could have been sidelined.

she campaigned the election on the hardest possible brexit lol

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

jBrereton posted:

yeah he played the long game by loving the country completely and then quitting in disgrace, good one mate.

yes, and your idea was even worse than that, you stupid gently caress. loving just lie in the manifesto about a referendum that is also a cripplingly divisive issue in the parliamentary tory party and a personal bugbear of the newspapers on which the tories are dependent for their popular support. I'm sure no one would mind the prime minister casually breaking an election pledge for no good reason. should be easy to pass laws after that. nigel farage would just give up and go home. you idiot. you witless fool.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

I am just saying you are revealing the assumptions innate to your ideology, friend, when you construction of increasing state revenue is “borrow an arbitrary amount” instead of taxation - and “but what if capital takes its ball and goes home!!!” ain’t helping
The approach to debt is also extremely German - focusing on paying down the debt rather than reducing the ratio by growing the economy.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Whoever is in power in March 2019 will become forever linked to bad times in the minds of certain voters (if the situation becomes unpleasant) due to simple classical conditioning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I had to check this. I'd forgotten that Jo Johnson just had a non-cabinet role so it is correct.

Of course when you include every person in government that isn't the case. And yes, it took me a long time to research this.

Henry Ashton, 4th Baron Ashton of Hyde - Under-Secretary for DCMS
Nick Hurd - Minister of State for Policing and the Fire Service
Rory Stewart - Minister of State for Prisons
Jo Johnson - Minister of State for Transport & Minister for London
Jesse Norman - Under-Secretary of State for Roads, Local Transport and Devolution

And that's literally one school, whose fees are over £40k per year including You'd probably lose a day researching all the privately educated wanks in the government, because this country is one massive class hang up.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
You Brits made a huge mistake when you didn't buy leftover guillotines after the Terror. Now you've got nobility pouring out of the drat walls.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fantastic Flyer posted:

You Brits made a huge mistake when you didn't buy leftover guillotines after the Terror. Now you've got nobility pouring out of the drat walls.

Pitt the Younger has a lot of explaining to do.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

weird that in thirty years the chant is gonna be Three World Wars And Two World Cups. i guess that's inflation for you

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jBrereton posted:

Have you considered that Brexit is good as hell and your opinion is trash?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Frijolero posted:

Have you considered that Brexit is good as hell and your opinion is trash?

All the rich cunts are going to be inoculated from Brexit and the people who actually suffer from rising food prices and a cratering economy are the workers so I'm not actually seeing much upside on leaving the EU. Maybe house prices will go down in London as it becomes less desirable for non-EU oligarchs. Seems about the most positive outcome.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Can someone explain to me the potential benefits of Brexit?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

twoday posted:

A united Tory Party for generations to come.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

twoday posted:

Not being chained to a ridiculously dysfunctional, hideously neoliberal, blinkered regime of bankers and monetarists whom we have no ability to unelect or influence.

At least we can vote the Tories out. Jean Claude Junker doesn't give a gently caress.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

The whole not being a part of the EU is pretty good

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

forkboy84 posted:

All the rich cunts are going to be inoculated from Brexit and the people who actually suffer from rising food prices and a cratering economy are the workers

As opposed to...?

That poo poo is already happening. And it's worse when the EU imposes/recommends austerity to workers who have no say in the matter.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

twoday posted:

Do you want actual potential benefits or what were touted as the potential benefits?

Because stuff like being able to negotiate independently for better trade deals with non-EU countries is technically a potential benefit even if it's unlikely to ever actually be beneficial to us.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Doesn't the EU have a huge incentive to beat the hell out of the UK in order to make an example of what will happen to anyone else who leaves?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ohtsam posted:

Doesn't the EU have a huge incentive to beat the hell out of the UK in order to make an example of what will happen to anyone else who leaves?

Yeah as an institution it's got a huge incentive to dick us over even if the people the EU's meant to represent would still prefer to actually get english cheese or whatever for quite cheap.

It's gonna be interesting if the EU gets better after we leave. We have broadly been problematic arseholes but that also meant other countries could count on us to be the problematic ones so they didn't have to.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

twoday posted:

£350 million per week for the NHS.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Frijolero posted:

As opposed to...?

That poo poo is already happening. And it's worse when the EU imposes/recommends austerity to workers who have no say in the matter.

Of course it's already happening, the point is it's going to get even loving worse. You might be fine with that, as someone who is already finding it hard to find work, I don't particularly look forward to getting even worse. Accelerationism isn't actually a luxury I can afford, nor plenty others.

There's plenty worth complaining about the EU. It's poo poo. Alas, the alternative manages to be worse. Also, the UK's position in the EU is different from most other nations by virtue of not being in the Euro, which is the actual mechanism for imposing austerity. It has lovely rules about free trade and it has racist immigration policies but it's not got anything to do with austerity in the UK. Which will only get worse after leaving the EU.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Ohtsam posted:

It's complicated by Germany having an enormous incentive to keep selling the UK cars. Germany needs needs needs people to export to otherwise their whole comfortable shtick collapses and they're losing trading partners left and right.

And Germans make pretty much all the decisions in the EU so our leverage isn't as non-existent as people like to claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

sounds like an excellent opportunity for the corbyn-obrador trade agreement