Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Make sure you really test out switching between tablet and laptop mode a lot while you are in the return window. Samsung is still shipping this things with glitchy screen connections.

As far as input issues with the new Chromebook tablet, there is going to be a whole line of USB C keyboards coming out for the education market to use with those tabs.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/26/belkin-introduces-two-wired-usb-c-keyboards-chrome-os-tablets/

Yeah, I've seen some reports of people losing touch after a few days. I'm testing the hell out of it during the 14-day window. Do you know what may cause it? From what I've noticed, it's not all devices but not uncommon either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine was fine for a few months, then it started doing it, then it stopped. Apparently Samsung has to replace the screens, but then sometimes it recurs again. I decided to go Pixelbook instead.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Mine was fine for a few months, then it started doing it, then it stopped. Apparently Samsung has to replace the screens, but then sometimes it recurs again. I decided to go Pixelbook instead.

How's the stylus on the Pixelbook compared to the Chromebook Pro? I got it to replace the N7 2013 and also for art as a (relatively) cheap Wacom Cintiq...seeing as it has a Wacom digitizer anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Here's an example of how Not Ready for tablets ChromeOS is: When using the virtual keyboard in Android apps, hitting the spacebar Makes Every New Word Capitalized. I went to the beta channel and that's been fixed but apparently it's been a problem since Chrome 66. Another thing fixed in the beta channel is the ability to right click by long pressing but only when you have the UI layout in chrome://flags set to a touch style. It's getting there, I guess.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, I agree, but that's not exactly what I was saying.

I guess then I don't understand what you're saying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I guess then I don't understand what you're saying.

Hmm, lets approach it this way.

Is the fact that some people require a keyboard for their iPad some small portion of the time a sign that the iPad hasn't solved anything?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, lets approach it this way.

Is the fact that some people require a keyboard for their iPad some small portion of the time a sign that the iPad hasn't solved anything?

I'd say there's a difference between "nice to have" and "necessary". Can you write a paper on an iPad without a keyboard? Yes. Can i turn off my ChromeOS preference for auto-hiding for the shelf without a mouse? No.

If there's no solution for navigating the UI by touch on a touch-only device and the "solution" is buying something to make it not touch-only, I wouldn't consider that solving anything. Workarounds aren't solutions, they're mitigations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I'd say there's a difference between "nice to have" and "necessary". Can you write a paper on an iPad without a keyboard? Yes. Can i turn off my ChromeOS preference for auto-hiding for the shelf without a mouse? No.

If there's no solution for navigating the UI by touch on a touch-only device and the "solution" is buying something to make it not touch-only, I wouldn't consider that solving anything. Workarounds aren't solutions, they're mitigations.

I don't exactly disagree with that.

I was highlighting the idea that in the general case a tablet requiring a keyboard infrequently doesn't mean that tablet hasn't solved anything.

What if you only had to have the keyboard to toggle a setting you might only toggle a couple times a year? I wouldn't say that means the tablet hasn't solved anything.

Note that I don't need or want a tablet at all, but say that I did... even in the example you give here I'd toggle the auto-hide shelf setting once and then probably never touch it again. What if the tablet met all my needs the rest of the time. Does that mean it didn't solve anything for me?

FWIW, it sounds like ChromeOS on a tablet is a clusterfuck right now, so I'm not defending it. I'm just talking about generalities here.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I was highlighting the idea that in the general case a tablet requiring a keyboard infrequently doesn't mean that tablet hasn't solved anything.

What if you only had to have the keyboard to toggle a setting you might only toggle a couple times a year? I wouldn't say that means the tablet hasn't solved anything.

Ostensibly, that is a device that was designed to provide a full-touch ChromeOS experience. If it doesn't provide that, I'm not sure what it's solved.
Your earlier iPad comparison strikes me as sorta bizarre. The keyboard (or Pencil) provide additional features, they don't plug holes. That is not the Tab 10. The Tab 10 requires additional hardware not included to enable and execute basic features that every other Chromebook can do.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Ostensibly, that is a device that was designed to provide a full-touch ChromeOS experience. If it doesn't provide that, I'm not sure what it's solved.
Your earlier iPad comparison strikes me as sorta bizarre. The keyboard (or Pencil) provide additional features, they don't plug holes. That is not the Tab 10. The Tab 10 requires additional hardware not included to enable and execute basic features that every other Chromebook can do.

I'm not claiming the ChromeOS device has solved anything. AFAICT it's a niche piece of junk that your average tablet buyer shouldn't be buying.

Like I said I wasn't talking about the ChromeOS device or the iPad.

I was talking about the idea that a device requiring a keyboard to do something does not mean the device does not solve any problems. "Plugging holes" vs "providing addtional features" is a distinction without a difference. A keyboard on an ipad provides the additional feature that you can type long form text without fatigue or whatever. The ipad has the hole-to-be-plugged that you can't type long form text without fatigue.

Anyway, forget about any specific device, that's irrelevant to what I'm talking about. I was exploring the general idea whether a tablet requiring a keyboard to do some specific things means that the tablet is worthless or not.

edit: wtf i thought this was the tablet thread

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What is ChromeOS supposed to provide beyond ad spying on the desktop anyway?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like my C302 with chromeos and now android apps :mrgw:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ola posted:

What is ChromeOS supposed to provide beyond ad spying on the desktop anyway?

It's the most low-maintenance experience you can have at a computer.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd want a ChromeOS tablet as opposed to an iPad, though. Or even an Android tablet.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Sometimes the virtual keyboard freezes when I try to long press a letter for a number, so I'm half tempted to plug it back into the keyboard dock whenever I want to type anything, and at least I have that option.

If this also happens on the Acer Tab 10, where you would have to buy a separate keyboard, then what the gently caress are they doing? Like the long press for right click menu fix, these are definitely things that should have been fixed before releasing tablet hardware with no keyboard, when half of your devices already have a tablet mode.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Am I correct in reading that the chromeos tablets are still called chromebooks?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jigoku posted:

If this also happens on the Acer Tab 10, where you would have to buy a separate keyboard, then what the gently caress are they doing?

It does. You have to rotate the device which closes the keyboard.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does Google Play Music download the entire podcast every time you resume playing if you haven't manually downloaded the podcast locally? It seems to use a humongous amount of data. Or does streaming the podcast somehow use more data than downloading?

Should I switch to Google Podcasts or something else?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FogHelmut posted:

Does Google Play Music download the entire podcast every time you resume playing if you haven't manually downloaded the podcast locally? It seems to use a humongous amount of data. Or does streaming the podcast somehow use more data than downloading?

Should I switch to Google Podcasts or something else?

Pocketcasts for a nice interface, Beyondpod for customizability. Someone else will have to chime in with whatever the free one is that's considered acceptable.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I was talking about the idea that a device requiring a keyboard to do something does not mean the device does not solve any problems. "Plugging holes" vs "providing addtional features" is a distinction without a difference. A keyboard on an ipad provides the additional feature that you can type long form text without fatigue or whatever. The ipad has the hole-to-be-plugged that you can't type long form text without fatigue.

Anyway, forget about any specific device, that's irrelevant to what I'm talking about. I was exploring the general idea whether a tablet requiring a keyboard to do some specific things means that the tablet is worthless or not.
I'll try not to spend too many words responding since I didn't realize this was the app thread, either... I'd used the phrase "plugging holes" as shorthand for "a way around a flaw that prevents you from doing something you're expected to be able to do," which maybe just isn't as clear as I thought. Essentially, nobody buys a tablet expecting a great long-form typing experience, whereas most people would expect "go home" to be a basic software thing that you shouldn't need additional hardware to do. One of those is a flaw in design and it makes sense to differentiate between those types of things.

Unrelated, has anyone used Dark Sky since its redesign? I actually really like it, something I don't often think is the case with app redesigns...

\/\/\/\/
That's fine, this post was only really talking about distinguishing between additional features and holes/flaws.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 9, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

I'll try not to spend too many words responding since I didn't realize this was the app thread, either... I'd used the phrase "plugging holes" as shorthand for "a way around a flaw that prevents you from doing something you're expected to be able to do," which maybe just isn't as clear as I thought. Essentially, nobody buys a tablet expecting a great long-form typing experience, whereas most people would expect "go home" to be a basic software thing that you shouldn't need additional hardware to do. One of those is a flaw in design and it makes sense to differentiate between those types of things.

To be clear...again, I wasn't defending the flaws of ChromeOS. I don't care about ChromeOS tablets, I was talking about the general idea that was spurred by LastInLines original comment. Namely, does a device called a "tablet" that requires a keyboard to do Task X solve any problems? Should we disregard such a device as useless? What kinds of Task X do we care about that makes a device useful or not?

I probably shouldn't have sprung from his comment and just made a virgin post as it seems to have confused the issue.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I have a chromebook and an old android phone. Is it possible to use the phone as an external touchpad for the chromebook?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Waze has started crashing and giving me the "App not responding" toast, even though I haven't used it in probably months. I like to keep it around because it's supposedly better than Maps at dealing with heavy unforeseen traffic, but this is getting annoying. Anything I can try?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hooah posted:

Waze has started crashing and giving me the "App not responding" toast, even though I haven't used it in probably months. I like to keep it around because it's supposedly better than Maps at dealing with heavy unforeseen traffic, but this is getting annoying. Anything I can try?

Clear cache / clear data / uninstall and reinstall the app

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hi I'm starting to get back into mtn. biking and I installed google fit to track my miles etc.

Just curious if there's any way to increase accuracy or something, because it seems to sample position very roughly or infrequently and cuts huge corners out of my path when I look at the recorded data.

Also it seems like it is very delayed, like it records half of a bike ride during a ride, and then take like 1hr after the end of a ride before it fill in the rest. Is there any way to give it a hint when a ride is over, or maybe just a more accurate app specifically for biking?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Guys at work are always banging on about Strava.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I was going to say you probably want Strava. If it's good enough to leak locations of ARE TROOPS it's good enough for you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, Strava is the way to go, really nice app and the free tier does everything you need unless you're hardcore.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thirding Strava. I use it for running, but it can be used for biking too.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Cool, thanks everyone. I'll give Strava a try on my next ride.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

peepsalot posted:

Cool, thanks everyone. I'll give Strava a try on my next ride.

Also if you still can't get the accuracy you want, get a GPS watch or a bike computer with GPS. My watch really upped the accuracy on my maps.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

bollig posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I have a chromebook and an old android phone. Is it possible to use the phone as an external touchpad for the chromebook?

Pretty sure there's a few apps for that. Can't shill any though, unfortunately. But I'm sure Google will return good results for you.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Strava trip report: Wow its like my phone has a functioning GPS sensor! Very cool.

Also its neat that it even tells the name of specific trails and segments in parks. Apparently I rode on a segment of trail called Panty-Puncher's Demise, so that sure is something.

Edit: I should mention I also futzed around in "GPS Status" app and made sure to download A-GPS data, and also turned OFF "GPS filtering" (not sure if that affects apps system-wide).
Because I just looked at Google Fit and it appears to be pretty accurate now too, so maybe it was just the GPS settings and not so much Strava vs Google Fit accruracy. (Or possibly Strava forced Google Fit to have higher update rate?) Anyways the point is it seems to be working pretty well now.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

peepsalot posted:

Strava trip report: Wow its like my phone has a functioning GPS sensor! Very cool.

Also its neat that it even tells the name of specific trails and segments in parks. Apparently I rode on a segment of trail called Panty-Puncher's Demise, so that sure is something.

Now you have to start beating other's times.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

peepsalot posted:

Hi I'm starting to get back into mtn. biking and I installed google fit to track my miles etc.

Just curious if there's any way to increase accuracy or something, because it seems to sample position very roughly or infrequently and cuts huge corners out of my path when I look at the recorded data.

Also it seems like it is very delayed, like it records half of a bike ride during a ride, and then take like 1hr after the end of a ride before it fill in the rest. Is there any way to give it a hint when a ride is over, or maybe just a more accurate app specifically for biking?

Google fit is real bad for anything besides giving office workers warm fuzzies for taking 10,000 badly detected steps. It's never been able to give me a decent route hiking or biking and sometimes it just gives up and doesn't record anything if WiFi and sat signals aren't available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

boo_radley posted:

Google fit is real bad for anything besides giving office workers warm fuzzies for taking 10,000 badly detected steps. It's never been able to give me a decent route hiking or biking and sometimes it just gives up and doesn't record anything if WiFi and sat signals aren't available.

LMAO if you think this office worker has ever taken anywhere near 10,000 steps in a day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

LMAO if you think this office worker has ever taken anywhere near 10,000 steps in a day.

I average 6-8000 per 8-4 workday measured on my Garmin watch because my office is 3 enormous buildings and is more like a campus tbh. 10k is totally possible if I have a lot of meetings in a day. I usually hit it sometime on my commute home.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

The spread of smart watches and fitness trackers probably does a decent job of revealing the office pervert, at least.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Moey posted:

Now you have to start beating other's times.

Nabbed my first KOM yesterday. Despite my best efforts, I've become a strava-bro.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

peepsalot posted:

Edit: I should mention I also futzed around in "GPS Status" app and made sure to download A-GPS data, and also turned OFF "GPS filtering" (not sure if that affects apps system-wide).
Because I just looked at Google Fit and it appears to be pretty accurate now too, so maybe it was just the GPS settings and not so much Strava vs Google Fit accruracy. (Or possibly Strava forced Google Fit to have higher update rate?) Anyways the point is it seems to be working pretty well now.

It's a little of column A and B. Google Fit is bad and 3rd party GPS oriented apps that are well built will force android to refresh its A-GPS data.

If I'm out playing PGO and my phone goes full retard with location I'll just fire up GPS Status & Toolbox to force an A-GPS update and everything is good. It's not often but it happens from time to time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I keep getting these bullshit surveys from Google rewards, literally 2 questions. Have you been in any of these stores lately? 3 that are nowhere handy and one I have, say yes, pick a star rating and get 10-50 cents. Made enough to buy half a dozen songs on Google Play, that's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's what 90 percent of my surveys have been for years.