Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't see how you can possibly single him out when there's operators running around in capri shorts and combat leggings

Dokkaebi looks like an anime club nerd but we still love her

it's because that is the ONLY thing he has that isn't a seasonal digi camo reskin. even dokk/lesion have better comedy options now thanks to the capri sun packs

he's fun though, especially whenever this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-FusXh0uI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dizz posted:

recently got this a few days ago. is there anything i can read up on before I treat this game like CounterStrike?

Always play as castle. This is the first lesson i learned.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Thief posted:

it's because that is the ONLY thing he has that isn't a seasonal digi camo reskin. even dokk/lesion have better comedy options now thanks to the capri sun packs

he's fun though, especially whenever this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-FusXh0uI

I know someone ITT mentioned this previously but what is up with your sound setup? I don't know how to explain it but everything sounds so punchy. I play on hi-fi sound settings using headphones connected to a cheapo ASUS Xonar DGX soundcard but the game sounds decidedly less awesome to me.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'm super self conscious about my aim and whatnot (I've never been great even after years of playing with a controller), but I had some clips saved so thought I'd share:

I can't believe I didn't see Maestro in the corner here, but I thought my friend got killed from bathroom side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1XLzw9d0Y

Just thought the hostage falling was hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUkCyWzDP4o

One of the few times I actually flank people (I'm still learning when to move around and whatnot):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQd_PidPDZ0

Running out of time, so we rushed the point and somehow I didn't die (though whooo boy, I swing wide on Doc for some reason lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehn3zZu7xXI

And finally, I'm (obviously) not the Mira in this video, but I thought their clutch was worth recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFAOW6R75c

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Dizz posted:

recently got this a few days ago. is there anything i can read up on before I treat this game like CounterStrike?

Hey bud.

This game is 90% map knowledge and 10% knowing what the different operators do.

Play all of the situations. Try to 3 star them. Most you can 3 star on your first try.

When playing casual, try to get into the habit of droning yourself. By that I mean before you run up to a building and actually get inside, throw the extra drone you have at your feet and scope out the immediate vicinity so you don't open the door and die immediately.

I see this a lot with new players, and it sucks even more on casual because the round timer is so long. They'll run pretty much from the spawn to the objective and won't double check cams before busting into the building make a poo poo ton of noise.

Generally team compositions on defense are going to have one or two roamers, meaning those players are going to be roaming the level and trying to prevent people from pushing on floors the obj isn't on. There job is to slow down attackers and make them second guess everything. The timer matters on Ranked, so there will be less stress to get poo poo done on Casual

If you are on Defense and camping instead of roaming, never just sit on the actual objective room. You can be cornered easily. Try not to complete barricade every entrance and wall into obj either, because this can make it impossible to retake if they come in through a window and you have to get back in through one tiny door.

Attack composition is usually one person for taking out gadgets (Thatcher, Twitch, IQ) and one hard breacher (Hibana, Thermite). Usually a third person is for catching roamers, like Jackal or Dokkebi, but it's not required as much as having a gadget and metal wall killer. The other attackers can pick whoever.

But really the only good advice is to pay attention to the room names and cardinal directions (bottom right) to give call outs, drone until you have no drones left, and help your team.

Also aim for the head

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thermite is fun because blowing thise reinforced walls near the objective always makes the defenders crap themselves.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think my favorite part of Villa might be the kitchen/museum area playing Ave Maria as I slowly sneak up and stab someone because they won't stop walking on the absurdly loud tarps.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dizz posted:

Penpal posted:

Hey bud.

This game is 90% map knowledge and 10% knowing what the different operators do.

Play all of the situations. Try to 3 star them. Most you can 3 star on your first try.

When playing casual, try to get into the habit of droning yourself. By that I mean before you run up to a building and actually get inside, throw the extra drone you have at your feet and scope out the immediate vicinity so you don't open the door and die immediately.

I see this a lot with new players, and it sucks even more on casual because the round timer is so long. They'll run pretty much from the spawn to the objective and won't double check cams before busting into the building make a poo poo ton of noise.

Generally team compositions on defense are going to have one or two roamers, meaning those players are going to be roaming the level and trying to prevent people from pushing on floors the obj isn't on. There job is to slow down attackers and make them second guess everything. The timer matters on Ranked, so there will be less stress to get poo poo done on Casual

If you are on Defense and camping instead of roaming, never just sit on the actual objective room. You can be cornered easily. Try not to complete barricade every entrance and wall into obj either, because this can make it impossible to retake if they come in through a window and you have to get back in through one tiny door.

Attack composition is usually one person for taking out gadgets (Thatcher, Twitch, IQ) and one hard breacher (Hibana, Thermite). Usually a third person is for catching roamers, like Jackal or Dokkebi, but it's not required as much as having a gadget and metal wall killer. The other attackers can pick whoever.

But really the only good advice is to pay attention to the room names and cardinal directions (bottom right) to give call outs, drone until you have no drones left, and help your team.

Also aim for the head

Everything this guy said is the truth but he left out one very important part: If you haven't already, join the goon Discord. Link's in the OP, and pretty much everyone there is happy to have new folks join up. There are games going basically every night, and most days as well if you're alright with higher ping to Euro servers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/FASPvgc.mp4

:laugh:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://gfycat.com/PessimisticNippyAsianporcupine

Majestic.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr Hootington posted:

Always play as castle. This is the first lesson i learned.

2nded

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright shut it down, we've reached art.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
username/post combo

(What actually happened? Drone encountering physics fuckery?)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would assume the game just isn't set up to check for that scenario so some kind of physics shunt. "Wait we can't both be here uh... this way!"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah, smoke's beauties will often glitch out and bounce wildly off objects they can't stick to

i learned this through extensive trial and error when spawn peeking during the first week of Chimera when everyone was slam picking Finka ☣

jyrque posted:

I know someone ITT mentioned this previously but what is up with your sound setup? I don't know how to explain it but everything sounds so punchy. I play on hi-fi sound settings using headphones connected to a cheapo ASUS Xonar DGX soundcard but the game sounds decidedly less awesome to me.

i use the same game settings so it probably has something to do with how the computer itself is setup? idk what the defaults are or if it even makes a differences but whenever i see an option to max out bitrate i just do it since it never seems to affect anything negatively

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that's just how my game sounds naturally, maybe a tiny bit more bass. Not sure why people are so thrown by it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

username/post combo

(What actually happened? Drone encountering physics fuckery?)

Drone tossed into a C4 charge, caused the charge to bounce off.

Not my clip though, had to go back a couple weeks and see if it hadn't been posted yet as its been on the discord for a while.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Drone tossed into a C4 charge, caused the charge to bounce off.

Not my clip though, had to go back a couple weeks and see if it hadn't been posted yet as its been on the discord for a while.

A day or two ago I chucked a Smoke canister and a drone jumping up caused it to bounce up to the ceiling. Had me laughing for a bit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Doc elite skin released today.

P2L backpack:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Doc looks exactly as french as you'd expect.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He's my fsvourite Algerian Op in Siege.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Shoulda given him a Poirot mustache

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Test Server Patch Notes - Wednesday July 11th posted:

Dokkaebi’s claymore mines have been replaced by stun grenades
:kimchi:

quote:

Finka’s stuns have been replaced by frags
:chloe:

quote:

IQ’s frags have been replaced by claymore
:alexa:

quote:

Blackbeards shield has been nerfed – it now has 50HP
:dice:

i know this is just the test server but wtf: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6TTS/comments/8xtm7t/test_server_patch_notes_wednesday_july_11th/

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
he most dadrenialien filled part of siege is jakving off at the map screen and tryink toc um before the round starts

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think BBs shield was that powerful anymore interesting it got nerfed. Maybe if you knew what you were doing it was op.

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

he most dadrenialien filled part of siege is jakving off at the map screen and tryink toc um before the round starts

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
drat what the hell are these changes, I understand trying to shake up the meta but nerfing IQ?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I didn't think BBs shield was that powerful anymore interesting it got nerfed. Maybe if you knew what you were doing it was op.

It's only OP if you don't know what a head looks like or that you're supposed to click on them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

More claymores on frequently-used ops is a good thing IMO. Considering how ubiquitous jumpouts are at high ranks they're a necessity.

Frags on Finka is just lol, can't wait to own people with those

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Kikas posted:

drat what the hell are these changes, I understand trying to shake up the meta but nerfing IQ?

if IQ is bad the new meta is that IQ is bad. this is shaking up the meta.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In my little gametime IQ is my most used operator and used frags to gently caress up gadgets. RIP IQ. Doesn't make sense to give claymore to a 1 armor 3 speed operator.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

More claymores on frequently-used ops is a good thing IMO. Considering how ubiquitous jumpouts are at high ranks they're a necessity.

Frags on Finka is just lol, can't wait to own people with those

Yeah, I quite like having claymores on-hand, too. Although that being said, taking frags off IQ stings - that was a huge part of her utility, since you could chuck one through a vent to destroy jammers/etc. Oh well.
Also, that BB nerf seems ridiculous - I was playing BB last night and Maestro double-tapped me with his revolver (whichever one the weaker one is...the bailiff? I can never remember their names) and it destroyed my pristine shield and domed me. Stuff like that happens all the time (not helpful when one party is lagging, which happens all the time because :australia:) and Ubi lowering the HP of his clear-plastic shield isn't exactly helping...hopefully they backflip on this change, if nothing else.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

flash > claymores owns for dokkaebi because it will be a huge loving buff to her solo breach and clear capability

smoke is good and the obvious natural synergy for good glaz/fuze/ying players but those are few and far between when solo queing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
*Makes a solid operator with a great gadget that has ubiquitous utility and is always useful*

*nerfs operator because she is picked all the time in pro league because she's always useful*

*literally has introduced a pick and ban system to pro league and a meta that favors electronic gadgets and made a kneejerk change after 6 weeks rather than letting it play out*

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 11, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To counteract the kneejerk reaction somewhat: that's a test server thing, for you know, testing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's the first step toward Actually Doing It tho

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
why not just buff everyone/thing else?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dizz posted:

why not just buff everyone/thing else?

Because they have, purposely or accidentally, continually created operators that are markedly more useful than older ones. In order to buff some of the older operators while retaining their gimmicks, you would need to make some of them too powerful, or simply rework their identity. Which is something they seem reluctant to do given that they won't fix or change Tachanka (and arguably others who are simply too disparate to be properly balanced) despite hundreds of good and even great suggestions being continually put forth for years.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 11, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Yes, put all the useless secondary gadgets in a bag and shake it before giving them back out. I couldn't give a gently caress about them unless they are breaches.

Although some of the :whitewater: IQ mains :whitewater: I play with might be useful now that there is less reasons to not have breaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Wooper posted:

Yes, put all the useless secondary gadgets in a bag and shake it before giving them back out. I couldn't give a gently caress about them unless they are breaches.

Although some of the :whitewater: IQ mains :whitewater: I play with might be useful now that there is less reasons to not have breaches.

*sighs in Swedish*