Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

This is the face of possibly the best player of all time. Not the best offensive tackle, but THE best NFL athlete to ever put on a helmet.

Some accolades:
9× Pro Bowl (1999, 2001–2008)
4× First-team All-Pro (2001, 2004, 2005, 2007)
2× Second-team All-Pro (2006, 2008)
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap2000000370660/Hall-of-Fame-vignette-Walter-Jones

This was a man who utterly dominated arguably one of the hardest positions in the sport.

Wikipedia posted:

Jones attended Holmes Community College for two seasons, where he was named Mississippi Junior College Player of the Year by the Jackson Clarion-Ledger in 1994. Then 6′5″ and 265 pounds, Jones played both offensive tackle and tight end. He allowed one sack in two seasons.

Terry Blount posted:

Jones was on the field at left tackle for 5,703 pass attempts, but he was called for holding only nine times. That’s only once in every 633 passes or .0016 percent.

Terry Blount posted:

According to coaching statistics, Jones was beaten for a sack only 23 times. That’s less than twice a season. Some tackles get beat for a sack twice a game or more. Jones allowed his quarterback to be sacked only once in every 248 pass attempts or .004 percent of the time.

Stats are great and all but let's look at the man work (Watch #71):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-BSrVsRDs

https://imgur.com/4kle5HF - Watch him push a DT right off balance then get to the second level to block the MLB
https://imgur.com/eXYhNlt - Got to the second level faster than Alexander. #90 was just along for the ride.
https://imgur.com/bfnKGjD - Ya your speed rush ain't fuckin' getting past me.
https://imgur.com/uBu0qfH - Mr. Jones introduces the free safety to the ground.

Other players on Walter Jones:

DeMarcus Ware posted:

I’ve never played against another offensive lineman like Walter Jones.

The first time I saw Walter on film was before we played the Seahawks my rookie year. He was grabbing guys and throwing them to the sideline and dumping defensive tackles like they were nothing.

I was like, Oh Lord … who is this guy?

Usually, at the snap, an offensive tackle will kick back and cut off the pass rusher’s lane to the quarterback. But Walter Jones would turn and run with you. He could do that because he was athletic enough to do it. He was like 6-foot-5, 325 pounds, and he could run with just about anybody off the edge. I saw one report that said he ran a 4.67 in the 40-yard dash at a predraft workout. When an O-lineman runs a sub-5.00 40, people say he’s fast.

If that’s the case, Walter Jones was lightning.

Ware added: “When he punched you in the chest, you felt like your heart was going to go flying out of your body.

Robbie Tobeck posted:

I tell people that the two greatest athletes I ever played with were Deion Sanders and Walter Jones.

Howard Mudd posted:

I don't think he was ever frightened in his whole career.

He is the definition of a dancing bear.

He had this phenomenal athleticism. Walt is the kind of guy who does things so easily, it almost looks like he's playing at 75 or 80 percent. Like Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, he never really struggles to get his job done, even when he's playing against the top NFL players. I don't think he ever lined up in a game where he thought he was closely matched, athletically, to the guy across from him.

I actually had trouble finding highlights for the guy because most of the time he completely neutralized whoever he was against. Not as in pancaking or running them off the edge, but just plain making sure the person in front of him wasn't moving anywhere. When he wasn't making highlight blocks he was being a pure technician.

If I could pick any player to build around and have their career pan out the way they did, I'd pick Walter Jones first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
you loving nitwit he's the GOAT of all GOATs

part of his warm up routine was shoving around parked escalades

e: somebody post the clip of him vs carolina in the nfc championship where he shoves the DE downfield faster than alexander runs unabated

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Walter Jones was loving amazing and I'm glad I got to see him play for my team.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Imagine being the unquestioned best player at your position when your contemporaries are Orlando pace, Jonathan Ogden, and Willie Roaf

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
He owned.

Played one season at FSU after coming from community college and only gave up one sack while starting every game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyShd71GZvk

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Can we also use this thread to crowdfund a calculator for Terry Blount?

But seriously, I can't even imagine walking around at 325 pounds, much less keeping up with NFL defensive ends

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 11, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

quote:

On January 8, 2011, Jones lifted the 12th Man flag at Qwest Field before the Seahawks' wild card matchup against the New Orleans Saints.[6] The 7–9 Seahawks went on to defeat the defending Super Bowl champion Saints 41–36.

On February 2, 2014, Jones served as the Seahawks' Honorary Captain at Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, prior to their 43-8 victory over the Broncos. This coincided with his election onto the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He also helped former Giant and fellow Hall of Famer Michael Strahan toss the coin to end the pregame ceremonies.

blessed

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

congrats to the dude that pushed around some bums back when the cardinals were lucky to win 5 games

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Would never come to camp

pushed his SUV up a hill to work out

linemen arent always the best but he was

Like a 3rd of his total sacks came in his last full year when he in the decline.

What a stud

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Like a 3rd of his total sacks came in his last full year when he in the decline.

Yeah this part is insane. Like 7 of the sacks he gave up came in the last full year. He had two shoulder injuries and one knee injury and he was still good. That was the year he played DeMarcus Ware who was in his prime.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Walter Jones likes to take pictures and he likes the Sounders, so naturally he gets media credentials to take pictures of Sounders games. It's pretty funny to see him standing there with his one camera casually snapping an occasional shot next a 5-foot-nothing photographer frantically managing 3-4 cameras along with other gear.

He's also super nice to people who call out to him from the sidelines when he's walking by and is always getting interviewed by whatever media outlets happen to be there that day.

Edit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BigWalt71/status/1013215196779708416

tk fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 12, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Big Walt loving owns

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

a neat cape posted:

Imagine being the unquestioned best player at your position when your contemporaries are Orlando pace, Jonathan Ogden, and Willie Roaf

yee

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Not the best offensive tackle,

Ok good carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

Ok good carry on.

Obviously Daltos omitted a "just" after the Not