Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
i've defenitely seen those and badly would like a book of em. they remind me of galapagos. the book not the place.

folks, what are some of the predominant art movements today. what names would you ascribe to the things people do. there's more than post-webinar gutless dada out there, what do you call it! what do you call yourself, i say I'm a "furry neorealist" but, also say this as the caveat that it is more of an expressionism thing than an identity thing. furry neorealist expressionist. cartoonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
:airquote:CalArts:airquote:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

brain-damaged ecstatic surrealism

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

anyways my art style is "doodle-core trying to ape the likes of Robertryan Cory, Paul Villeco, and Dave Alegre"

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Navelgaze

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my visual art style is pen scribbles of random references in a tiny notebook that is absolutely terrible for the purpose i have put it to

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I started doing commissions and figuring out pricing is a nightmare. I always feel like I'm the problem because I'm too slow and if I try to charge based on time invested I'll be charging too much and nobody will buy from me.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Christ yes, I know that one. I know I can draw pretty good, but having the confidence to charge that way is different thing, and yeah, worrying about pricing yourself out a job is a nightmare.

Maybe it just comes with experience?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lofi posted:

Christ yes, I know that one. I know I can draw pretty good, but having the confidence to charge that way is different thing, and yeah, worrying about pricing yourself out a job is a nightmare.

Maybe it just comes with experience?

seeing as how i get a commission once every 3 months or so i'm thinking i'll be experienced enough to figure out what the gently caress im supposed to charge in about 30 years

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Seems about right.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i def would describe most of the batshit insane meme humor we see now among millenials/genx as neo-dadaism tho for real. this time tho instead of reacting to the mindless cruelty of world war it's reacting to the mindless cruelty of late cpaitalism

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think neo dadaism is administered and exploited by corporations moreso than it is a reaction to them

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FunkyAl posted:

I think neo dadaism is administered and exploited by corporations moreso than it is a reaction to them

Yeah they're definitely trying to exploit it. The neo dadaist stuff "administered" by them tends to be a lot less funny and a lot more cringey than stuff that comes from the average online shitposter though (though then again there's a line where knowing where it comes from colors how it's viewed)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

in this age of corporations, the only way to survive is to become a corporation

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't get into Vine videos until after it died, but man if it wasn't the perfect-cocktail incubator for absurdist humor and surrealism.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 10, 2018

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

avshalemon posted:

in this age of corporations, the only way to survive is to become a corporation

I'd get voted off my own board of directors so fast

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone have advice about learning to control the weight of your lines? I'm thinking more about my lineart and why I hate it. I thought it was just because I got proportions wrong, and it is to some degree, but even when I get the proportions rights I don't really like my lines. I think a big reason is that I don't vary the weight of my strokes enough. I do try and use thicker and thinner lines in places to convey depth/lighting/whatever but I'd been doing that just by increasing or decreasing the size of the pen. Maybe I should stop doing that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Try brush pens. The best inkers I've known have used brush pens and learned how to control line weight that way. It will be painful at first but if you keep with it you will get it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Draw in a larger format than the final piece - working in two-up and shrinking it down hides a lot of sins. Brushes are a pain to get used to, but I think they're worth it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The pentel pocket brush pen is a very good brush pen for starting out. Then later if you really like working with brushes you can get a kolinsky round brush if you like which is the more traditional option. Though there are plenty of artists who just use brush pens so you don't have to move onto a regular brush if you don't want to.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

JuniperCake posted:

The pentel pocket brush pen is a very good brush pen for starting out.

Hell yeah it is.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

this may sound strange but deviantart is still my favourite art-viewing platform. please go browse my carefully selected favourites, i have spent many minutes gathering them (don't bother with my gallery it only has like three things in it, i'm not an active uploader)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

avshalemon posted:

this may sound strange but deviantart is still my favourite art-viewing platform. please go browse my carefully selected favourites, i have spent many minutes gathering them (don't bother with my gallery it only has like three things in it, i'm not an active uploader)

i feel 38.5% more insane after scrolling through these but i think im ok w/ it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

sebmojo posted:

i feel 38.5% more insane after scrolling through these but i think im ok w/ it
eastern european deviantartists are a species unto themselves

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

honestly that seems pretty tame. Like you mostly hang out in the normal part of deviant and a mildly weird part of deviantart that's not the weird part of deviantart

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Are we talking ponies and hedgehogs, animal morphs, or poetry?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I object to the implication that there's only one "weird part of DeviantArt"

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Procreate updated last night to include a liquify tool and snap to grids.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Re: getting into art, I drew a bit when I was young, then my crippling lack of confidence in my teenage years put an end to it, and I didn't start again until I was about 25 as I started running out of patience with getting nothing done with my life. There was nothing forcing me to face up to my aversion to any risk or worry, so in the end I had to put on my big boy pants and do it myself. Not very well, but, you know, baby steps.

The most terrifying thing is seeing things I've drawn that felt like yesterday and the date is from two making GBS threads years ago. I can make an A3 page of sketches last two months. So my focus right now is putting pen to paper the instant I get home from work, no matter how little I actually do because that seems to help, and getting to bed on time to get the quality of rest that I pretty much haven't got since I was a child.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

FunkyAl posted:

what do you call yourself
"peace in emptiness" as I glance at a blank page that has been sitting open four months in a row.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fish Noise posted:

"peace in emptiness" as I glance at a blank page that has been sitting open four months in a row.

write 'these are dumb bad words that are lovely' at the top in bold, then keep writing

or draw a dick pic if you're an art, I guess? not sure if it works the same way...?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

^ pro tip.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

getting to bed on time to get the quality of rest that I pretty much haven't got since I was a child.

The quality and quantity of my output after a week of normal sleep/exercise is like a million times better than my usual stuff, but gently caress is it hard to do that between freelance gigs that pay, personal work, and a kid.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Protip: avoid having responsibilities.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i saw this today and realized i'll never be able to have sufficient hustle to make a living from my art

https://society6.com/product/homer-dickbutt_print

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Al! posted:

i saw this today and realized i'll never be able to have sufficient hustle to make a living from my art

https://society6.com/product/homer-dickbutt_print
there's always someone with less shame than you

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

hey, hey, everyone, guess what

:420:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

if my work doesn't get noticeably better from this point on, i'll have to admit to myself that i'm full of poo poo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

avshalemon posted:

if my work doesn't get noticeably better from this point on, i'll have to admit to myself that i'm full of poo poo

Same but I'm in too deep so there's no turning back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

avshalemon posted:

we are all full of peepee and doo doo :smith: