Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

https://www.cnn.com posted:

John Schnatter, the founder and public face of Papa John's pizza, apologized Wednesday for using the N-word on a conference call in May.
Forbes reported earlier that he used the racial slur while participating in a role-playing exercise designed to prevent public relations crises.

In a statement issued through the company, Schnatter said: "News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true. Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."

According to the account in Forbes, Schnatter was on a call with Laundry Service, a marketing agency, and was asked how he planned to manage future public relations flare-ups.

Schnatter caused controversy last year when he said that Papa John's pizza sales were hurt by the NFL's handling of players' kneeling during the National Anthem in protest of racial injustice. He stepped down as CEO two months after the comments. He remains chairman of the board.

Related: Papa John's: We didn't mean to be 'divisive' on NFL protests

On the call, Schnatter sought to downplay the significance of his criticism of the league and its players, Forbes reported.

"Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s," he said, complaining that Sanders had never received backlash, according to Forbes. The parent company of KFC did not immediately answer a request for comment.

Forbes also reported that Schnatter recalled growing up in Indiana, where he said people used to drag black people from their trucks until they died.

Forbes reported that Schnatter's comments were intended to demonstrate his stance against racism, but that people on the call were offended by them.

Laundry Service, which is owned by Wasserman Media Group, declined to comment through a spokesperson on Schnatter's remarks or the company's relationship with Papa John's. Forbes reported that Wasserman moved to end its contract with Papa John's after the call.

Schnatter also resigned Wednesday from the University of Louisville board of trustees. The chairman, J. David Grissom, said: "After speaking with John, I'm confident that his comments, while inappropriate, do not reflect his personal beliefs or values." He added that the members of the board don't condone racism or "insensitive" language.

He also thanked Schnatter for his "generous support for so many years." The University of Louisville football team plays its home games at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

Papa John's (PZZA) stock closed down 4.8%.

Schnatter founded Papa John's in 1984. He is the public face of the company and its largest shareholder, controlling 29%, and appears in its ads, including one that rolled out as recently as April.

Papa John's was the longtime exclusive pizza sponsor of the NFL, but ended its partnership with the league earlier this year under new CEO Steve Ritchie. The company is the third largest pizza chain in the United States by sales, trailing Domino's (DPZ) and Pizza Hut (PZZA).

For anyone who doesn't already know this guy makes lovely pizza and is a huge Randian. He lives in the largest house in the USA (not shown - dual underground garages), and refuses to provide health coverage to each employee because it would cost an extra fourteen cents per pizza. In 2015 his pizza chain was court ordered to pay $12,300,000 to more than 19,000 delivery drivers who had been stiffed on their wages. And he insures his hands for millions of dollars I guess? Not really evil but pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

post the pizza courtyard op

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That dude should work harder to stay out of the public eye because he really comes across as a dumb rear end in a top hat everytime he's in the news

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is this politics?

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

bo in the house!! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5vJleVuJQ&t=31s

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

That's my house he stole pictures from my Google account

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I thought little caesars was like the number 2 chain. Boy is my face red

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Is that really the largest house in the USA? It looks big but there's gotta be something bigger.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I last ordered papa johns in 2008. I didn’t like it and have not eaten there since.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Let's get some sodie pops

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Amarcarts posted:

Is that really the largest house in the USA? It looks big but there's gotta be something bigger.

It really is. Also the world's most expensive house.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
giant assholes need giant houses

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

That's my house he stole pictures from my Google account

i didnt know you were a gay madman

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I worked for Papa John's a few times in the 90s and early 00s and my bosses were always huge potheads and I was their favorite driver because I would bring them weed and also I didn't drive like a meth-fueled maniac like all the other drivers

The last time I worked for them they had to send me a check for $2000 in back pay after I quit and figured out that they had never given me the raise that I signed the paperwork for. lmao.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

MOOBS! posted:

bo in the house!! :woop:

Over There posted:

Let's get some sodie pops

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have never had the misfortune of eating one of his pizzas.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Colonel Sanders was born in the 1800s and died in 1980. Which century does Papa John think it is right now?

HumanDecency
Oct 5, 2015

Minnesota Manatee posted:

Colonel Sanders was born in the 1800s and died in 1980. Which century does Papa John think it is right now?

I'm pretty sure he was on television the other night. Keeps looking different though.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

papa john is also a huge lush

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Hopefully his mansion burns down too.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
something tells me he won't really suffer over this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What does one even do in a house that big? After "room with movie theater screen and bongs" and "room that's a giant bouncy castle and has an Ecstasy gumball machine" I'm already out of ideas. I guess you could use a room for eating but lmao who sits down at a table in their own house to eat a meal just lmao

milkrun
Mar 7, 2007

It's not wise to cast aspersions against future president of the United States papa John

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
He complains about the NFL all the time because he is a sponsor and he stands to lose money. The Superbowl is, IIRC, the highest-grossing ad space you can buy. So it's funny he's a staunch GOP supporter when Trump is always beefing with the NFL.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

their pizza's good.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
papa Johns pizza tastes likes the sauce is 50% corn syrup

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Dregs posted:

papa Johns pizza tastes likes the sauce is 50% corn syrup

It is.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

papa johns tastes like poo poo too why the gently caress do they put half the toppings under/in the cheese i want my peps crispy and good not soggy and bad

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Minnesota Manatee posted:

The 20th century, specifically the 50s, like a good 40% of his customers

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

it's not

MOOBS! posted:

the gently caress do they put half the toppings under/in the cheese i want my peps crispy and good not soggy and bad

they shouldn't be doing that!!!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Papa John's pizza isn't that terrible. Less awful than Pizza Hut or Domino's but it's so bland. Like they designed Papa John's to be the everyman of bad chain pizza, which saps it of any personality or flavor.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

papa johns fucken nasty bro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Papa John's, Pizza Hut and Domino's are all literally worse than frozen pizza.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
more like poopy john's

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Amarcarts posted:

935 posted:

It really is. Also the world's most expensive house.

it's huge but it's barely in the top 100, it's 40,000 square feet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_houses_in_the_United_States

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

precision posted:

Papa John's, Pizza Hut and Domino's are all literally worse than frozen pizza.

rather eat freschetta than any of those. but not digiorno that's too low even for me

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

totinos party pizza isn't pizza, but i would rather eat that than dominos, papa johns, or pizza hut

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Hell Yeah posted:

rather eat freschetta than any of those. but not digiorno that's too low even for me

:agreed:

or better yet find a good small local pizza place and support them

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
papa john cant hold his liquor. here he is shitfaced at a louisville cardinals game in 2013 with a couple bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
That’s a sweet pool

• Locked thread