Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rockopolis posted:

Here's a weird question. Are there any like, industrial engineering grog games? Like, Build more "IL-2s before Stalin has you shot" / "T-34s before the Germans crash through the factory gates" kind of thing?

I would love a factory management game like this, planning production lines and managing resources and labor. I’m not sure it exists. I sketched out rules for a board game along those lines but haven’t mocked it up because I’m still bouncing back and forth about how complex it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there a grog game about the Vietnam War from the side of the Vietnamese? or any similar insurgency

Rockopolis posted:

Here's a weird question. Are there any like, industrial engineering grog games? Like, Build more "IL-2s before Stalin has you shot" / "T-34s before the Germans crash through the factory gates" kind of thing?

Factorio?

There was this one "educational" game about developing Five Year Plans in the USSR where you have to strike a balance between not killing too many people as you industrialize, and also needing to industrialize in order to have an army to beat the Germans with in 1941

There's this one Railroad Tycoon 2 scenario where you need to haul troops across Russia to resist the invasion and it's about managing trains as your rail network slowly gets bombed out.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

I'm currently reading Wages of Destruction and I'd love to see a game like that. It'd be rather depressing to have a slider bar for calories per day per employee and then watch your mortality rate dip up and down while productivity changes. You could probably make a game like that right in Excel.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I still say a game where u do bids on manufacturing contracts in ww2 then try to cut as many corners as possible would own hard.

The failure state is ur workers go on strike and the Wagner act immediately has u lose control in favor of a workers council while u get charged with treason.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 11, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Agean90 posted:

I still say a game where u do bids on manufacturing contracts in ww2 then try to cut as many corners as possible would own hard.

You could probably pull off a pretty simple game that was like RTW without the battle elements. Basically a video game version of Triggerhappypilot’s Germany LP.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agean90 posted:

The failure state is ur workers go on strike and the Wagner act immediately has u lose control in favor of a workers council are all convicts from the nearby Wehrmacht prison, with both minor and major convictions, who rebel and require the military police to "subdue them". U then get charged with sabotage.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rockopolis posted:

Factorio isn't grog but it's really, really good.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'll have to take a look at Factorio, then.

War-Factorio, the clicker-game with leaderboards monitored by the NKVD!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wasn't there that one called Land Doctrine or something where you had to design tanks/doctrine for not-WW2.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah but it was kinda iffy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Vietnam 65 game is as much about maintaining and managing a logistics route as it is fighting the VC/NVA. I imagine the Afghanistan 11 game is similar.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Vietnam 65 game is as much about maintaining and managing a logistics route as it is fighting the VC/NVA. I imagine the Afghanistan 11 game is similar.

In the Afghanistan game if you move a unit out of supply, do you get to spend a billion dollars to instantly keep it in supply, and then continue to do this every turn?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Factorio is grog sperg and you can literally make train networks that deliver raw materials to assembly lines of tanks and also you can have train railguns.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Afghan 11 is a significant step up in mechanics from Vietnam 65, qualitatively. It still has that logistics feel to it.

Saros posted:

Wasn't there that one called Land Doctrine or something where you had to design tanks/doctrine for not-WW2.

I don't know if you'll ever really be able to make that game well. I played Land Doctrine but it was kinda trash.

I would like a Rule the Waves with a randomized world map/national statuses, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rockopolis posted:

I'll have to take a look at Factorio, then.

It was nice knowing you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MrYenko posted:

It was nice knowing you.

Factorio rules but it's insanely frustrating for me because I'm terrible at thinking ahead.

...which is also why I'm bad at grog games.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What is the scope of RTW? Are you just controlling the navy while the rest of the country is abstracted? Does territory change hands? How does a war end?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Stairmaster posted:

Was there anything stopping people from making angled flight decks in the thirties

Like uPen said, imagination and need. The actual slanted deck we know of today came out as the result of a study done by the Royal Navy between 1944 and 1945, these kinds of decks along with steam catapults were recommended features for the next generation of aircraft carriers which were expected to carry heavier jet aircraft. The thing with slanted decks too is that they play hell with the seaworthiness of a ship, you have to do a lot of internal redesign to offset the weight of all the extra decking on the rear and side of the ship to ensure the carrier can still sail in rough weather. You also have to consider that at this time carriers were still pretty experimental, even though some very forward thinking military officials in multiple countries could see the potential in carrier based operations, they had to overcome an not insignificant amount of political and doctrinal inertia to get to where they were for the operations that did occur. Even then, we were still doing a ton of optimizations and tweaks to the system on a micro level to just get some efficiency out of the carrier we did have.

Then you also have to consider the Washington Naval treaty, which still limited carrier tonnage as well. So even if the slanted deck concept came into being, likely it would have come with the trade off of adding more tonnage to carrier, possibly reducing the number of carrier a country could build prewar. Even with the war raging, going for the comparatively tried and true straight deck would make far more sense than shifting deck construction halfway. Come the end of the war though, new advances in aviation, combine with lessons learned would allow this design to come through.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

What is the scope of RTW? Are you just controlling the navy while the rest of the country is abstracted? Does territory change hands?

You're in charge of the navy, so your influence on non-naval policy is limited. Random events give you the opportunity to raise or lower tensions with any given nation, but you're not the one with the big red Declare War button on your desk. Territories can change hands, but it requires your political superiors to not make peace before you've actually beaten the enemy. The player does get to decide which territories to take though.

Flavius Aetass posted:

How does a war end?

In bloody revolution after you've starved your enemies by choking their overseas trade.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You can influence territories changing hands a bit by deploying more ships abroad, or accepting an event that cuts your budget a bit to help the Army, but its otherwise out of your hands. Also, you can take them when winning a war.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

The below was written (verbatim and unedited) by one of our Beta Team members testing the latest (Alpha 10.0) RTW2 test version. This was the team-members first carrier strike, and the text is his AAR of / reaction to the event:

"Very exciting - above is an image showing my first airstrike. Three Japanese Raiden torpedo bombers have attacked a Russian BB of the Admiral Lazarev class in a classic anvil attack. These flew from a CVL converted from an armored cruiser. It is December 1925. All three torps missed but it was very fun watching the attack even if I couldn't see any aircraft in this attack. The splashes next to the battleship are from a Japanese battleship force that is also attacking the ship.

Because of the short range of my carrier planes my two ship division of CVLs had been steaming ahead of my three battleships but behind my scouting battlecruiser when the Russian ships appeared out of nowhere just as dawn broke. My CVLs suddenly found themselves within gun range of 3 Russian dreadnoughts, a classic dilemma that happened a number of times in USN fleet exercises. Fortunately, my battlecruiser was between my CVLs and the Russians and they concentrated their fire on the BC. My CVLs turned tail and ran south away from the Russians as fast as they could as planes were readied for a strike at an agonizingly slow speed. Minutes ticked by as my battlecruiser took a beating and my battleships raced to engage. My CVLs were steaming SE with the wind and just as they had steamed beyond the range of the enemy guns the strike was ready. They had no choice but to turn back into the wind and steam to the NW, directly toward the enemy battleships to launch the strike - a hair raising maneuver for sure, but one I was able to assist by laying a smoke screen with my destroyers. By then my battleline had begun to engage the enemy ships and when my strike arrived over the enemy formation they found themselves under simultaneous bomb, torpedo and gunfire attack. It was glorious!

My pathetic pack of 6 raw torpedo planes somehow managed to put a torpedo into the lead Russian battleship and slowed it down. The situation turned into primarily a gun battle with my little band of planes pecking away without effect. My superior battleline eventually prevailed and brought most of the enemy ships to a smoking halt until just one was desperately trying to escape. In the meantime my first strike had landed and I had managed to ready another small strike with just three torpedo planes. These plucky goons managed to put one last torpedo into the Admiral Lazarev's and her magazine blew up. What a finale!"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
A game covering the rise of the German heavy industry and MIC say 1878 1918 would be soo my poo poo. I doubt it's anyone else's poo poo though sadly :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wow, that's rad. I hope you can actually see the planes whenever RTW2 comes out, though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rockopolis posted:

GearCity sounds like it might fit the bill. I dunno if it would count as true grog since it only peripherally touches on war stuff, but otherwise it checks a lot of boxes.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Wow, that's rad. I hope you can actually see the planes whenever RTW2 comes out, though.

I dunno I kind of feel like being able to see individual planes would clutter things too much and if you can't directly interact with them anyway then what's the point?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Rockopolis posted:

Its been awhile since i played thats basically what the new hearts of iron felt like to me but its very surface level stuff and not very grog.

E: alao not war related and ive never tried it but cities in motion 2 is supposed to be a good business sim and seems kinda grog.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 12, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pharnakes posted:

I dunno I kind of feel like being able to see individual planes would clutter things too much and if you can't directly interact with them anyway then what's the point?

Seeing individual planes makes sense to me in 1925 when it’s like the above and you’re launching three planes at a time, but when it’s 1942 and there are potentially 100+ aircraft involved, maybe just one icon per group would be okay.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

Its been awhile since i played thats basically what the new hearts of iron felt like to me but its very surface level stuff and not very grog.

E: alao not war related and ive never tried it but cities in motion 2 is supposed to be a good business sim and seems kinda grog.

CiM2 has a wealth of problems that prevent me from recommending it, chief among them a lack of clarity. You'll fail to make a profitable network unless you look up a guide.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

CiM1, on the other hand, is a pretty great, if dated, game.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Bold Robot posted:

GearCity sounds like it might fit the bill. I dunno if it would count as true grog since it only peripherally touches on war stuff, but otherwise it checks a lot of boxes.

GearCity is pretty awesome. At present, detailed military production is limited to engines (for ships, tanks, and aircraft) and pickup trucks and vans, since they use the same systems as civilian auto production, which is the focus of the game. All other war production is abstracted, and AFAIK, your production has no impact on the course of the war.

The game can get really micromangey. There are now some auto-tools to help you, but especially as your company grows there’s always a ton of things to do each turn if you want to optimize profit. I usually get a bit overwhelmed at a certain point. Still, it’s pretty awesome, and the developer does a great job interacting with the community and incorporating good suggestions into future updates. I think a lot of people following this thread would enjoy it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tetraptous posted:

GearCity is pretty awesome. At present, detailed military production is limited to engines (for ships, tanks, and aircraft) and pickup trucks and vans, since they use the same systems as civilian auto production, which is the focus of the game. All other war production is abstracted, and AFAIK, your production has no impact on the course of the war.

The game can get really micromangey. There are now some auto-tools to help you, but especially as your company grows there’s always a ton of things to do each turn if you want to optimize profit. I usually get a bit overwhelmed at a certain point. Still, it’s pretty awesome, and the developer does a great job interacting with the community and incorporating good suggestions into future updates. I think a lot of people following this thread would enjoy it.

Yeah I played it a few months ago and would second this recommendation. I agree with basically everything in this post. I did find it got overwhelming at a certain point, and the game was not awesome about giving feedback on why stuff was selling or not selling. Setting prices for cars is also kind of a pain. But that’s standard grog stuff, it’s a good game.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I checked the NWS forum for more on the screenshot and carrier talk:

Both carriers involved were 12,500t converted CAs making 28 kts max, they retained their 5” belt and that limits their plane capacity. One carried 6 fighters and 6 torpedo bombers and the other carried 6 fighters, 3 torpedo bombers, and 3 floatplane scouts.

The visual aspect of planes hasn’t been finalized yet; right now they appear as small pips on the map but they’re pursuing a better solution that’s easy to get information from.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

I would love a factory management game like this, planning production lines and managing resources and labor. I’m not sure it exists. I sketched out rules for a board game along those lines but haven’t mocked it up because I’m still bouncing back and forth about how complex it should be.

Would it be anything like Kanban?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The moral of this story is don't build a carrier less than 20k tons

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Stairmaster posted:

The moral of this story is don't build a carrier less than 20k tons

I checked some historical carriers for comparison and it’s a super terrible complement even for its displacement, but it’s hard to make a specific comparison since as far as I know there was never a CA->CVL conversion of that kind historically.

E: I wrote “comparison” twice and then decided to throw in a third, apparently.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 12, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah that is pretty terrible. Hermes was about that weight and she carried 20 planes on a 3" belt albeit she was obviously designed as a carrier.

And of course they might be some terrible Furious style half assed conversion.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 12, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Would it be anything like Kanban?

I wasn’t aiming for something like that, more along the lines of “gather resources, play blueprint cards, don’t let the labor counter drop into the STRIKE space”

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Actualy looking at that again I would say a capacity of 12 is quite resonable. I'd somehow got it in my head they only carried 6, which would have been terrible.

BUt if you compare to Hermes they have 60% of the capacity on the same or slightly higher displacement, but they aren't designed as carriers, have a 5" rather than a 3" belt, are 3 knots faster and have 4 turrets with presumably at least double 5" in each. That last one is really going to eat up the tonnage compensating for the asymmetrical weight on a hull not designed for that. Plus also as CAs these ships are presumably 10 or even 15 years old in 1925 and unless they were re engined during conversion they are going to be having huge engineering spaces to get that speed on such a small hull.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Actualy looking at that again I would say a capacity of 12 is quite resonable. I'd somehow got it in my head they only carried 6, which would have been terrible.

BUt if you compare to Hermes they have 60% of the capacity on the same or slightly higher displacement, but they aren't designed as carriers, have a 5" rather than a 3" belt, are 3 knots faster and have 4 turrets with presumably at least double 5" in each. That last one is really going to eat up the tonnage compensating for the asymmetrical weight on a hull not designed for that. Plus also as CAs these ships are presumably 10 or even 15 years old in 1925 and unless they were re engined during conversion they are going to be having huge engineering spaces to get that speed on such a small hull.
They'll also be likely to have a ram bow, further reducing flight deck capacity relative to displacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
These are different than the Italian carriers we saw the other day, so I don’t think they retained gun armament.