Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to consume it if you already unlocked what it unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Right, so I think I got to the point where Antimatter Dimensions turns into bullshit

According to the guide I'm following these are the steps I should take

which wouldn't be that bad if it was a temporary setback, but it seems to be a prelude to an even greater waste of time

so I guess I'll boot up NGU again tomorrow :shrug:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Samuringa posted:

Right, so I think I got to the point where Antimatter Dimensions turns into bullshit

According to the guide I'm following these are the steps I should take

which wouldn't be that bad if it was a temporary setback, but it seems to be a prelude to an even greater waste of time

so I guess I'll boot up NGU again tomorrow :shrug:

Yeah that game goes in real doors and starts. Once you get past the ICs and into early eternity content it picks up, then drags to a crawl when you start leveling time studies and doesn't pick up again until suddenly you have so many ECs done that you have through content again. The bad part is either you have nothing to do and make no progress or you have to babysit it looks crazy or make no progress.

It's very close to properly designed but falls just short

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It does a decent job of being an idle game that takes one core idea and iterates on top of it. Your first big goal is reaching 1e308, and this number continues to be a pivot point into the next layers. That and adding automation (eventually) so you don't have to babysit the lower layers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I'm baffled because those instructions sound like something you would tell to a blind person who is trying to unlock their house through motion controls instead of being part of a game

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

What do I have to do to make NGU not be the slowest game ever? It's unbearably slow moving and it's super frustrating and boring

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I'm baffled because those instructions sound like something you would tell to a blind person who is trying to unlock their house through motion controls instead of being part of a game

A few of the challenges are excessively fiddly to beat when you first unlock them. That's one of them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Cowman posted:

What do I have to do to make NGU not be the slowest game ever? It's unbearably slow moving and it's super frustrating and boring

Not much. It's a pretty slow game even if you babysit it. Let paradigm shift and more slow but inexorable getting to large numbers.

Eventually though you can set it up to just sit in a zone and automatically combine and boost your gear, and you can come back whenever you feel like to do challenges and progress and stuff. That's how I'm doing it

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Samuringa posted:

Well, yeah, that's because it doesn't explain why you're doing them.

0. The only important part is turning off the dim autobuyers. You don't want them to interfere when you're kicking yourself out of a dip in production later on. Everything else is pure cargo culting; use whatever settings you're happy with for sacrifice and bulk buying.
1. Early on in the challenge, you don't have to be careful so buying as much as possible as quickly as possible is the fastest way to progress. But eventually you hit a point where production dips too low to buy any more dimensions and you either have a boost available to 'reset' to a fresh iteration or you use the button to restart from last reset. Either way, you are sitting with all dims available and unbought for the next step.
2. Pressing M three times pushes your progress for the current galaxy close to but under what you got stuck at. Since dim 8 is where the most production 'power' comes from, you want to start buying them up.
3. Eventually you can't buy any more dimension 8s, so you then go down the list of dimensions to buy them at bulk. Pressing their number buys as many as possible, which increases their production multiplier and punches your current rate of antimatter production higher than your next 10 dimension 8s, usually around the time you press 3 or 4 at higher IP power. Most cases this will also be enough for the galaxy autobuyer to kick in and restart the process of buying dimension boosts.

And yes, IC5 is all kinds of stupid the first time you start it. I can only promise you that the next iteration will be easier.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2018

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Ugh, I seem to be stuck in the 'waiting' phase for both SwarmSim and Idle Wizard. I can't make any meaningful progress in SS so I'm waiting until I have enough Energy to ascend (6 hours left), and in Idle Wizard I need Tier 2 pets to progress past e68 myst, which means leveling the equivalent Tier 1 pet to lvl100 (or 97 in my case).

Maybe I should start up a third idle game while I wait.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Well if you're looking for a new game, looks like Ryu just released his new game, Idle Cooking Emperor:

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Ryu82/idle-cooking-emperor

(For anyone who doesn't know, Ryu is the Idling to Rule the Gods guy)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

wow it's idle to rule the gods, again

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

something posted:

Well if you're looking for a new game, looks like Ryu just released his new game, Idle Cooking Emperor:

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Ryu82/idle-cooking-emperor

(For anyone who doesn't know, Ryu is the Idling to Rule the Gods guy)

The progression of the game is all out of wack, you begin with 7 different stats to train, customized recipes for your dishes, hiring personnel for your restaurant with different stats that affect different outcomes, different kinds of preparing dishes that affect each one of your dishes based on their ingredients, working, building, challenging chefs where it's essentially a jRPG battle

I played 10 minutes and quit

It also seems to be terribly optimized?

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

Samuringa posted:

The progression of the game is all out of wack, you begin with 7 different stats to train, customized recipes for your dishes, hiring personnel for your restaurant with different stats that affect different outcomes, different kinds of preparing dishes that affect each one of your dishes based on their ingredients, working, building, challenging chefs where it's essentially a jRPG battle

yeah everything about this game is aggravating as gently caress. There are WAYYYY too many options this early on. You need to ease the player into it. Maybe I'll check in in a month or so to see if people are actually enjoying it but everything I've seen so far suggests it's a big stinking turd.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
NGU. What am I missing with Blood Spaghetti? I got auto cast on Blood gets to 10,000 - it casts and no gain to drop chance.

Ok look at formula log2(blood/10k) - ok so 10 k gets zero.

So cast at 20k expect 1% gain still nothing.

?

Edit
I have put a total 400k into it and have 6% bonus listed

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 12, 2018

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit

shs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 12, 2018

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I feel like there is screen size issues... I can't see where to spend my coins at all.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Samuringa posted:

I played it months ago as beta. It's pretty bland. It does nothing to improve on Rule the God's formula and actually feels like a step back. The cooking makes very little sense, and the bosses make it a horrible slog to try and progress and just idling did very little to aid progress. I felt like I had no idea what anything did at all. A quick look, and I don't see any of the issues I had addressed. It's like he learned nothing from his game, nor NGU. NGU might be recent but it did a lot to improve this style and he failed to use any of them.

He doesn't seem to understand what makes a good idle game and somehow stumbled into making something interesting with Rule the Gods.

He needs to do a game that isn't based on a 50 tick per second formula. He used all his good ideas for it.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
hi 4g if anyone claims to be me in kong chat they're lying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Carados posted:

I feel like there is screen size issues... I can't see where to spend my coins at all.

Can you be specific?

Which version are you playing? If it's the web version and your resolution is less than 1280x720, the game might be too large to fit everything into the iframe.
Have you tried clicking 'Hero' then 'Upgrades'?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

shs posted:

Can you be specific?

Which version are you playing? If it's the web version and your resolution is less than 1280x720, the game might be too large to fit everything into the iframe.
Have you tried clicking 'Hero' then 'Upgrades'?

On a galaxy s8+.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Carados posted:

On a galaxy s8+.

I don't have one of those phones with the super massive resolutions, so it's really difficult for me to test and fix issues like that. Can you... maybe lower your phone resolution to 1080p or 720p?

I'm starting to remember why I hate mobile development so much :shepicide:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

pixaal posted:

I played it months ago as beta. It's pretty bland. It does nothing to improve on Rule the God's formula and actually feels like a step back. The cooking makes very little sense, and the bosses make it a horrible slog to try and progress and just idling did very little to aid progress. I felt like I had no idea what anything did at all. A quick look, and I don't see any of the issues I had addressed. It's like he learned nothing from his game, nor NGU. NGU might be recent but it did a lot to improve this style and he failed to use any of them.

He doesn't seem to understand what makes a good idle game and somehow stumbled into making something interesting with Rule the Gods.

He needs to do a game that isn't based on a 50 tick per second formula. He used all his good ideas for it.

There's definitely way too much going on, and it's so incredibly convoluted and interwoven that it's impossible to know how doing A-B-C affects X-Y-Z. I mean, I know higher stats are good, and researching quality will make my things better, but there's way too much information and there are so many different stats that it feels like no individual component matters. Oh I can design my own recipes but how am I supposed to know whether I want to use 200 grams of chicken or 400 grams? It also makes me just want to make a recipe called PILE OF SALT, and it's just a huge fuckin' pile of salt and then get my stats high enough that I'm winning competitions with it.

I wouldn't say stop doing games like it, but iterate, improve, create. NGU took the core concept (50 ticks/s, invest resource into bars and then kill scaling bosses) and then did everything different and the result is one of the best entries to the idle game genre. Idle Cooking Empire is just confusing and way too frontloaded with concepts and info that it just feels like nothing you do specifically matters.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ScottyJSno posted:

NGU. What am I missing with Blood Spaghetti? I got auto cast on Blood gets to 10,000 - it casts and no gain to drop chance.

?

Edit

Things you should put Blood Magic into:

Bonus stats when pushing bosses
Adventure stats when it's not on cooldown and you're within a couple orders of magnitude of a "lot" of magic

That 6% you spent all that on will go away when you rebirth - it's really for people who have unreasonable amounts of blood magic to spend in late game

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

ScottyJSno posted:

?

Edit

log2(400000/10000) = ~5.32

It's definitely based on the total you've put in this rebirth and not each individual time you've hit the button. Doesn't explain why you didn't get 1% for 20000, though.

Also yeah it resets on rebirth and is really just a sink for blood magic if you don't have anything better to spend it on (or, I guess, are farming something specific in a long rebirth and doing everything in your power to improve drop chance).

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So I'm really struggling with a new addition to NGU, and I was hoping to call upon the infinite brainpower of goons for some input. I'm ripping this off a Kong forum post I made:

4G On Kongregate posted:

As for what I have cooking next, it is the I.T.O.P.O.D - The Infinite Tower of Pissed Off Dudes! **Note: anything I say here is subject to changes based off my whims**

It'll be placed in adventure and is essentially a (much more basic) Clicker Heroes thingy. The tower will have many levels, and you will need to kill 10 enemies on that level to unlock the next level. When entering the I.T.O.P.O.D you can set the start and end level. You'll start at the (duh) specified start level, and progress up to the (also duh) specified end level. If you die, or reach the target end level, you'll be automatically shot back to your start level and climb backup again. You can set the start level as high as 10 levels below your all-time highest.

Why would you bother grinding mobs in this tower? This is what I've thought of as possible rewards, but if you guys have any suggestions or ideas i'd love to hear 'em. I think unique rewards would work best here.

1) A small drip of AP for defeating enemies here.
2) Boosts, scaled to the level of the tower.
3) Special items that unlock Active use abilities! Different level ranges of the tower would be able to drop different items, so climbing higher would allow you to unlock a new active ability, ultimately. These abilities would give a significant speed boost to some permanent stat, or the leveling speed of a feature, and last for maybe 1-3 minutes. They would then have something like a 1-6 hour cooldown depending on what the skill might be. Skills could be something like a burst in Augment/Wandoos/NGU speed, or perhaps something that works in adventure to give a buff there. Enemies would drop the items to unlock these skills at a set (rare) rate, and you'd be able to merge multiple drops of the items to level up the skill, which would improve the duration and degree of the effect slightly.

In addition, I could make every X levels of the tower spawn a Titan-style enemy with stats scaled to that level of the tower, but I'm less sure on this idea."

Basically, the tower itself is fully functional, but it has no reward or ongoing motivation to make progress in it. Consider this an open call for any ideas that would:

1) Be a great ongoing-reward for grinding set level of the tower, like on an overnight run or
2) Good one-time rewards for reaching a new highest level on the tower
3) Something that your genius brain thinks of that I didn't even consider.

Thanks in advance for any bad/good ideas you may have, friends.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

So I'm really struggling with a new addition to NGU, and I was hoping to call upon the infinite brainpower of goons for some input. I'm ripping this off a Kong forum post I made:

Basically, the tower itself is fully functional, but it has no reward or ongoing motivation to make progress in it. Consider this an open call for any ideas that would:

1) Be a great ongoing-reward for grinding set level of the tower, like on an overnight run or
2) Good one-time rewards for reaching a new highest level on the tower
3) Something that your genius brain thinks of that I didn't even consider.

Thanks in advance for any bad/good ideas you may have, friends.

Perhaps let the tower kills contribute to leveling up / powering up active skills (the new unlocks, or old ones I guess)

I really like the gameplay of starting out where the training skills require less and less energy to cap out as you use them - perhaps a mechanic where 100 completions of a floor reduce the enemy count for that floor to 9, 1000 to 8 for a floor, etc

Different types of rewards for different floors? E.g. floors 1-50 boost adventure stats, 51-100 boost magic - gives some choices for whether you decide to run the easier floors to get more of that bonus, or stick to the harder floors

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
If it's one thing NGU is missing it's a goddamn skill tree!
You could give us Tower Powers. Earn points as you progress and make a few skill trees that upgrade different features. Add some key points for signature skills that change a feature rather than just a % boost, give out a few respecs and then add respecs to the sellout shop.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So reaching a new highest level of the tower would unlock more and more skill points? Or did you see it as something you grind but gained more if you could reach a higher level?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If it's one thing NGU is missing it's a goddamn skill tree!
You could give us Tower Powers. Earn points as you progress and make a few skill trees that upgrade different features. Add some key points for signature skills that change a feature rather than just a % boost, give out a few respecs and then add respecs to the sellout shop.

A Power Tower of Tower Powers?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

So reaching a new highest level of the tower would unlock more and more skill points? Or did you see it as something you grind but gained more if you could reach a higher level?

Both! Push floors to unlock higher-rank skills, and more skill points to allocate.

Grind floors to power up the skills you have points allocated in - maybe additional skill points too. More points allocated in a skill, levels up faster

Skills you have allocated have powerful effects, plus passives - if you grind a skill to unlock a passive, the passive could stay unlocked. See how Tap Wizard does spells - you unlock different spells which are wildly different abilities, and as you keep a spell equips it gains good abilities like "freeze thing" or "bounce once" - as well as passive like "Fire spells cast +5% faster" or "Gain +5% exp"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This 50 ticks/s thing people keep talking about, is it just a standard that idlers use? Is there any reason to do a different number, or anything like that? Why is it worth pointing out when a game uses 50 t/s?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
3: ^^^^ the 50 ticks thing is specifically from idling to rule the gods. I am willing to bet it was born not of ingenuity, but of not really knowing a better way to track time passed. The mechanics that revolve around it, however, make for a different style of game and it's not in and of itself a bad idea, just kind of kludgy programatically.

quote:

In addition, I could make every X levels of the tower spawn a Titan-style enemy with stats scaled to that level of the tower, but I'm less sure on this idea.

If you're truly gonna rip off use that style of clicker for inspiration, it should be 9 normal mobs, and the 10th is a boss. Then every 100 fights is a Titan. That titan can be an additional source of AP. Perhaps tie whatever reward to wing bosses, with the titan giving something guaranteed for the "set" off whatever table drops for those 100 fights. Since you don't really have tilesets the way these clicker games do just have everything be of whatever flavor that 100 floors should be.

(flavor heh. burger floors. ice cream floors. vegan floors.)

As for specific rewards, I'm not really far enough into the game to speak to lategame. I will say stuff like the Iron pill scaling buff has been immensely helpful for me pushing farther into the game, and things like active skills in adventure don't really get my jimmies rustling. Big temporary speed buffs to big slow things like NGU/Wandoos/Ygg/augments seems really cool, and would be great to have while burning through challenges or pushing higher. I'd probably also actually spend them unlike the potions of whatever that last until rebirth which will do what all consumables do in RPGs I play.

:10bux::10bux:If the code is portable, you could sell an AP boost that automatically sets the floor you start on based on a formula the same way auto-killing titans is so you never have to fiddle with it unless you want to toggle it to farm drops from a different place or w/e :10bux::10bux:

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 12, 2018

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I like the skills idea, since it doesn't exist in the game yet. Could be flat bonus passives as well as active skills that do minor things like the consumable items, or help in battle, etc.

One idea I had for an idle game that I'll never end up creating could be cybernetic/bionic implants that give various bonuses that can level up, change material, etc. With regard to NGU though it would act like a completely separate item system. It could fit the lore somehow... you cloned yourself or are installing them yourself... just to keep ti separate from the Adventure items. I don't know.

Killing bosses in the tower could drop materials, or grinding overnight would slowly level certain aspects of certain implants. Something like that. A lore-friendly way of adding more bonuses that isn't necessarily just a skill tree.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

add a skrillex tree

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

something posted:

To expand on the idea, I'd say grinding up tower levels gives you points that earn you a skill point as you pass different thresholds. That way it's not based on your highest level but you can scale up both points earned and required so you can estimate where a player will be with a given progress point.

Example: You earn a 1 TP at floor 1, 15 at floor 10, 100 at floor 40, etc. Cost for Tower Powers also scales up.

Alternately, you earn unlocks with your highest floor and set a given talent to earn XP as you grind the tower. So by floor 100 you have 10 talents unlocked, each gives you a base effect, but can be infused with the Tower Power. So a talent that gives 10% Energy Bars will level up and give more, with a similar formula to beards.

Keystone talents wouldn't level up but would alters a feature, like the Money Pit becomes the BLOOD PIT and gives a totally different set of bonuses but only consumes blood. Or the Time Machine can be switched to looting boosts instead of gold. Or Yggdrassil can only produce 1 of each fruit per rebirth but for a greater effect.

Stuff like that?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

What's the best use of AP? I have Improved Loot Filter and Extra Accessory Slot from the AP store already, and was going to buy some nice quality of life stuff next like inventory space, loadout slots, reduced automerge timer while that's on sale, and so on. But I haven't unlocked Beards yet, so I don't know how important extra beard slots are, but if they're anything like extra accessory slots I'm going to really want them, and with 4 of them costing 110k AP each that's a lot of AP needed.

So should I save my AP to buy beard slots when I can afford them / when I've unlocked beards? Or do I not need to worry about them and should just buy some inventory space or something?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Actually ITRTG is on a 33ticks/s system. I changed it in NGU to 50/s just cause then the bars visually looked smoother when progressing, and also made some math a bit nicer with a /50 vs a /33.

To answer above, when you first get beards you get 2 beard slots, which means 2 beard styles progressing at the same time. Each beard if active upon rebirth also transfer a small portion of the levels gained that rebirth to a permanent bonus of the same. So if you grab all the beard slots you can now have 6 going on at once and progressing the perm bonus.

something fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 12, 2018

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I just have auto train and boost filter to cube, both of which have been pretty nice qol. Improved filter is my next target, but from what I understand beard slots are very similar to acc slots: more is super better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What's the best use of AP? I have Improved Loot Filter and Extra Accessory Slot from the AP store already, and was going to buy some nice quality of life stuff next like inventory space, loadout slots, reduced automerge timer while that's on sale, and so on. But I haven't unlocked Beards yet, so I don't know how important extra beard slots are, but if they're anything like extra accessory slots I'm going to really want them, and with 4 of them costing 110k AP each that's a lot of AP needed.

So should I save my AP to buy beard slots when I can afford them / when I've unlocked beards? Or do I not need to worry about them and should just buy some inventory space or something?

Filter boosts into cube is excellent, and faster auto boost/merge is also important. Beard slots will be the next big thing because beards make a HUGE difference once you ramp up their permanent levels (which really takes a good month or so). The cost scales up as well, the second additional beard costs 225k.

Don't be like me and buy inventory slots because you're too lazy to run challenges. Hammer out no equipment challenges until you're comfortable with what you have.