Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sharp Objects is an HBO miniseries based on the debut novel by Gillian Flynn, who later went on to write Gone Girl. She's heading up the writing team along with Marti Noxon (Buffy, unREAL, Dietland), with every episode directed by Jean-Marc Vallée (Big Little Lies).

quote:

Camille Preaker, a crime reporter, suffering from alcoholism and recently discharged from a psychiatric hospital after years of self-harming, returns to her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri, to investigate the murders of two young girls. The assignment takes her back to her childhood home under the critical eye of her mother Adora, a small-town socialite, which forces Preaker to confront some personal demons.

Cast includes Amy Adams as Camille and Patricia Clarkson as Adora, as well as Eliza Scanlen as Camille's half-sister Amma, Matt Craven as police chief Bill Vickery, and Chris Messina (from The Mindy Project!) as Richard Willis, a detective sent from Kansas City to assist the small-town police dept with the case.

Reception has been largely very positive, with a lot of acclaim for Adams' performance especially. First episode has aired and those of us who have seen it liked it a bunch, so I thought I'd make a thread and here it is hello!

Teaser
HBO.com page
Metacritic page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Will probably watch this at some point. For some reason I'm curious to see how they're going to handle her skin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s accurate to the book (which I am reading now)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This was very good and inspired me to immediately, finally watch Gone Girl once it was over.

Looking forward to reading the book once the miniseries is done.

Goddamn Amy Adams is just too talented.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The direction in this show is just fantastic. So many little things that are there for an instant and then gone, really driving home the feeling of anxiety. My favorite instance was the dollhouse, when we first see the inside, has writing scrawled all over the walls and furniture like the writing on Camille's body, but then when they cut to it again that's all gone and it's a normal dollhouse. It's only like that for a second and no attention is drawn to it, but I found it really unsettling.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

First episode was extremely promising. I remember the end of the book (THE TEETH) but not most of the journey there, so it's a nice mix of knowing and not knowing what's going to happen.

ShakeZula posted:

So many little things that are there for an instant and then gone, really driving home the feeling of anxiety. My favorite instance was the dollhouse, when we first see the inside, has writing scrawled all over the walls and furniture like the writing on Camille's body, but then when they cut to it again that's all gone and it's a normal dollhouse. It's only like that for a second and no attention is drawn to it, but I found it really unsettling.

Really agree with this, but I don't think I even noticed that about the dollhouse! I might have to watch the episode again.

Also the girl they cast as young Amy Adams is like a tiny clone of her

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 27, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gluten Freeman posted:

I did a double take where I legit had to think about whether or not any of Amy Adams' daughter was even old enough to play that role, the resemblance is uncanny and from what I can tell Sophia Lillis can act, too, so I'm really happy with the casting there. I also really like the girl playing her half-sister. Patricia Clarkson and Elizabeth Perkins are obvs great always.

Agreeing about the direction in general. There were a lot of neat little moments. When Camille and her mother go upstairs and there's that long shot of them walking all the way along the upper floor and to the bedroom, and they pass that empty sofa by her dead sister's room. Then when her mother turns and walks all the way back around to the staircase you can see Camille's sister sitting there in her nightgown, kicking her legs.

Is Big Little Lies this loving sumptuous to look at, too? I've had that sitting on the backburner for a while, I'm going to watch it no matter what because Nicole loving Kidman and Reese Witherspoon, but I might have to bump it up to like, right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t look as good as this but it’s still def worth a watch.

I finished the book and uh yeah if they get it right this show is gonna rule hard

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

Is Big Little Lies this loving sumptuous to look at, too? I've had that sitting on the backburner for a while, I'm going to watch it no matter what because Nicole loving Kidman and Reese Witherspoon, but I might have to bump it up to like, right now.

Not as much, no, but it makes you feel a similar emotional resonance from the juxtaposition of images. Plus absolutely incredibly performances from everyone.

I think it takes a couple more episodes for you to feel as strongly about the characters as you would about Camille from this first episode, because they start out as unsympathetic rich bitches that end up framed as just human beings in the end. But that's the journey of the show. Definitely binge it during the breaks between episodes of this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I know this isn't the BLL thread but 'she probably gives mint flavoured, organic blowjobs' lmfao

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I love this so far, I'm a big fan of the Gone Girl movie, and I can feel both that and lots of my mom's tiny midwestern hometown in this movie. Patricia Clarkson is fantastic, and obviously Amy Adams.

edit: ok i see what this show is now, it's a really traditional noir, but with a journalist instead of a detective

edit: watching Gone Girl after watching the first couple episodes is such a weird jump. There are so many similarities between the two but how they're laid out is drastically different. The dialogue in particular is striking, makes Sharp Objects' noir trappings all the more obvious.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 16, 2018

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Escobarbarian posted:

It doesn’t look as good as this but it’s still def worth a watch.

I finished the book and uh yeah if they get it right this show is gonna rule hard

I don't know, BLL's shots of Monterey made me wish I could upend my life, somehow come into millions of dollars and move there. The cinematography in that show was great but so far this show does have it beat in the style department.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I legitimately thought that girl was Amy Adams' sister or something. It's uncanny.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I binged BLL this week and the shows do share a super similar quality, especially in how Vallee can really put you in a character's head in a way we don't get enough in shows and movies. BLL was gorgeous to look at, but Sharp Objects definitely has a much more distinct sense of style and atmosphere where BLL didn't really lean into anyhing like that.

They're both hella well filmed and edited shows. The soundtracks have also been stellar and all the acting. I expect just a liiiiittle trash b/c of the source material in both cases(e: idk much about BLL's author but afaik it was p much an airport pageturner mystery but Austealia? I might read it idk seems like it'll flesh a couple things out the show coulda benefited from), but Vallee makes trash impactful so I'm down. Also Gone Girl was at least clever trash so I'm down for whatever Flynn came up with before that.

This episode was v good and I laughed out loud many times, as well as visceral cringing b/c goddamn sewing needles. A+ looking forward to next week

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m really excited for the (book spoilers!) Camille and Amma take ecstasy and fall over a lot together episode.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 15, 2018

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I hated the book but I'm glad I stuck around for that ending. So far the show is so much better, Amy Adams is amazing and the production design is absolutely stellar.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

idk much about BLL's author but afaik it was p much an airport pageturner mystery but Austealia? I might read it idk seems like it'll flesh a couple things out the show coulda benefited from

I haven't read BLL but yeah, that's pretty much the reputation of the author from osmosis (as an Australian). Very much the same level of literature that Gillian Flynn writes, but maybe a shade less into the disturbing gore.

It's funny looking at Gone Girl next to Dark Places and Sharp Objects, because you can clearly see Flynn paring back her tendencies for sensationalist brutality (eg satanic murder in DP, the teeth and Cam's self harm in SO) to focus on the more successful psychological drama. I was actually really interested to see how literally the show would translate Camille's word-carving thing from the page, and it seems very literally! It still comes across a little ludicrous, but that's the feel of the whole town, in a way. Ludicrous horror.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Main difference is VANISH isn’t on the back of her neck which makes sense cos I wondered how that would even be possible

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This show tho.

Hot drat it's good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

So good!

It really puts in Camille's head, like every glance it tells you what she's thinking. Like when she looked at the trolley of bleach early on, and you know exactly what she's thinking about from all the show's done to put you in her state of mind.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
Wow just three episodes in and this show is really fuckin bad yall

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I think Amma is in on the killings. I think that's the curve ball they are going to throw.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Adora definitely is, but I'm still on the fence about Amma.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I hate everyone in this show and watching it makes me feel like poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Origami Dali posted:

I hate everyone in this show and watching it makes me feel like poo poo.

Yah it's great!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

Yah it's great!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wait where did alice get the bleach and the rose from

very good episode, possibly the best yet despite having the least plot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

wait where did alice get the bleach and the rose from

very good episode, possibly the best yet despite having the least plot.

They showed you the bleach on the janitor's cart earlier. She got it from there, and the rose came from Alan (and Adora), who brought the bouquet to Camille.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy, I hope that nurse got fired for that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The tension of waiting for Alice to break that ipod and use the screen to kill herself was palpable. Camille's had this broke-rear end ipod this whole time which is established to have come from the hospital, and there's all the shots of the blood/etc leading into it and I just kept waiting for something bad to happen with that phone, then BAM it was the loving bleach and it turns out the blood was Camille's and I was SHOOK

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

A comprehensive list of the "hidden" words: http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/sharp-objects-all-the-hidden-words-you-missed.html

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know how much of this is just me being weak-minded since they’re obviously both noir stories set in the south ostensibly featuring murder mysteries, but this show often excites the same part of me that the first True Detective did. I think it’s just the expert way it generates a sense of dread from shots of sunny summer locations.

The constant intrusion of the past through its visual presence in the present is great and unsettling. The part that got me hooked was the long intro dream of young Amy Adams and her sister going around on roller skates and jamming pins under adult Amy Adams’ fingernails, and then adult Amy Adams returns to town and two kids on roller skates in the extreme background cruise by. It just sold me on this being a show where I’ll never be totally sure what the gently caress I’m seeing at any point.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
This show is super loving good. Tonight’s episode was outstanding; I’m completely fascinated by Camille, Adora, the writing, the editing, everything.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aggro posted:

This show is super loving good. Tonight’s episode was outstanding; I’m completely fascinated by Camille, Adora, the writing, the editing, everything.

:same:

This was great. It had me at Patsy Cline and just kept on and on.

This is going to be a great show to binge when it finishes. Just the flow of it, each episode weaves right into the next so drat well and the atmosphere is so on point.

Between this and the direction of Big Little Lies, I think Vallee found his calling in adapting pulpy/hardboiled books for TV.

:canada: he makes me feel so patriotic, even if he's a filthy quebecker ... he and villeneuve get passes for that

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

gently caress this town lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Binged the 4 eps last night and really enjoyed it. The cast is great, so is the music. Definitely getting a True Detective/Ozark vibe and loving every second of it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Can anyone explain what happened in that 50-scene supercut that happened in the last five minutes?

I'm not sure what was real, imagined, or memory.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

Can anyone explain what happened in that 50-scene supercut that happened in the last five minutes?

I'm not sure what was real, imagined, or memory.

Camille found a new body in the barn and the dad (or step-dad? idk) was acting suspicious at the house. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

No I think she was imagining finding Ama's body in the barn while she was getting drunk in her car. Meanwhile, Ama's playing chicken on her skates with her idiot teen friends and the dad looms over Adora menacingly.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gluten Freeman posted:

No I think she was imagining finding Ama's body in the barn while she was getting drunk in her car. Meanwhile, Ama's playing chicken on her skates with her idiot teen friends and the dad looms over Adora menacingly.

Amma and her friends are not together, the two others are with a different car being drunk and shooting roadsigns while Amma is alone the last shot.

From the big square lights I think it's Camille's Volvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ah, interesting. It's a great little montage. So very unsettling.

• Locked thread