Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also, for those who don't understand the Cadillac reference, it's a particularly fancy human spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also, for those who don't understand the Cadillac reference, it's a particularly fancy human spaceship

I used to love riding in my grandpa's Cadillacs and Buicks, loved those big boats.

B, gently caress it roll the dice.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

If we can't resolve this within 3 months then we need to sabotage the repair of the comm array or Mechanoids will be able to hijack Kaijuberg.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

malbogio posted:

C

If we can't resolve this within 3 months then we need to sabotage the repair of the comm array or Mechanoids will be able to hijack Kaijuberg.

also, if we can't resolve this in three months, we need to keep (ideally) all or (minimally) three terraformers from being repairable/operational and/or comms capable

because the Mechanoids are going to ask them to convert a megameter radius to, at best, unlivable deathscape

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also, if we can't resolve this in three months, we need to keep (ideally) all or (minimally) three terraformers from being repairable/operational and/or comms capable

because the Mechanoids are going to ask them to convert a megameter radius to, at best, unlivable deathscape

Point of fact (to paraphrase Kruze). Central Control is called that because its the control node for all the terraformers in Haven System. The only planet in the system that doesn't have terraformers is Alabaster (the gas giant the Corp stations orbit).

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

In other words we either need to take this poo poo or obliterate it. There is no middle ground here

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PoultryGeist posted:

Point of fact (to paraphrase Kruze). Central Control is called that because its the control node for all the terraformers in Haven System. The only planet in the system that doesn't have terraformers is Alabaster (the gas giant the Corp stations orbit).

Uhhhh, that's extremely sub-optimal, right?

C, give in to the true flesh

Speaking of true flesh, is our chasis meat-metal compatible? :roboluv:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PoultryGeist posted:

oh, that's nice, they can kill a ton of planets including the Kaltoran homeworld, not just Mishpacha

I'd prefer to conceal the whole terraformer thing, and ideally take CentCon for ourselves and become interplanetary supervillains, but on the plus side our In Case Of Emergency option has now become "spark an interspecies offensive against the killbots, then a system-spanning war"

which is preferable to Mechanoid control of CentCon

by a lot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

related question: is there any plausible level of Mechanoid ship that could have killed the Legion ship in that particular fashion and not been detected?

Is there a dreadnought several times the size of CentCon potentially waiting in the wings?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well, the Legion ship was scrapped by a Human-scale weapon and the Mechanoids are rolling with looted Human poo poo, so.....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, the Legion ship was scrapped by a Human-scale weapon and the Mechanoids are rolling with looted Human poo poo, so.....

I believe PG said it'd take a ship of significant size to mount that sort of murderbeam. Presumably bigger than either the sort of carrier we expected, or a Tabernacle (which I gather isn't super mobile anyway).

like, it's a main gun dramatically bigger than the one we don't yet have online, but apparently we think we could engage a carrier or Tabernacle with the element of surprise and have a chance

so presumably, neither of them has a main gun that dwarfs the one we don't have yet

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 7, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
While larger Harbingers pack laser batteries, they are pulse lasers instead of murderbeams (the Archons couldn't or didn't have time to work out the power issues). If the Mechanoids did salvage a murderbeam, they would have the same power/size issues. Unless they managed to salvage a functional battleship.

So no, muderbeams are not in the Mechanoid armory, but the exact nature/controller of Deathship Prime is still a big wildcard.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good to know!

I'm now looking forward to the surprise twist that the producers of the reality show have a battleship killer and are saving it for the season 3 finale.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Uh. poo poo. C for Funzies.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well.

gently caress.

C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:derp: ohgawdweregonnadie

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

:derp: ohgawdweregonnadie

Nah, we just turn over our new prisoners, embrace our lost brotherhood and AAAAAAAAAA our way to a better galaxy.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Some backstory that I will be adding to as inspiration strikes.

The Gathering: Cody Johns

I’ll admit, the first thing I thought when I saw you was that you were some kind of loving Augment fetishist. I mean, I don’t have a problem with augments and implants and poo poo, but there’s a difference between giving yourself an edge and hacking out your brain to put it in a robot body. Eww.

But any station in a flare I guess, they were literally loading me up into a transport to some mining shithole. Body Count Conglomerate had thrown their weight around, made sure that no-one would guarantee my bond, so I couldn’t pay off the 8 mill working my usual jobs. So I’d spend the rest of my life as a Dray Mining Concern drudge, working off my fine at 10C per hour. Minus room and board, of course. Compared to that, an Auggie showing up with the 15% to put down was a big loving step up.

You didn’t say anything as they uncuffed me and loaded me into a private shuttle, and that drat faceplate made it impossible to read your thoughts (At least at first, I’ve gotten better at color theory in the past year). A Jeeves met us in the shuttle, stuffy and gleaming as they always were. “Madame. I’ve prepared a bath and change of clothes for Ms Johns, and rearranged the viewing lounge to your specifications.

“My name is Cody. Not Mizz. And what the gently caress is a bath?” I didn’t really mean to say anything, but as you know keeping my mouth shut isn’t my strong suit.

“An old thing Cody, as is the honorific ‘Ms’. I’m fond of old things Ms Johns, consider it the first of many character quirks you’ll discover in my employ. Please follow Jeeves to the stateroom, you’ll be in a better mood once you’re tidied up.”

Did I tell you how much your voice freaked me out at first? Well, it did. Spot-on Corp, but absolutely no accent. Not any of the particularites of the other species, or things like the Alabaster 1 nasalness or the Alafour growl. And so smooth, but with an undercurrent of unpleasant possibilities that I would have paid a speech coach millions for.

Your weird words aside, I was all for getting cleaned up. The holding cells didn’t like to spend money on hygiene beyond basic delousing, and after a week there I was feeling rank. “Alright, lead away Jeeves.”

Baths, baths are not bad. That much water would be insanely loving costly on a station, but it did wonders on the bruises and sore joints I had picked up during my arrest. Afterwards, looking at myself in the mirror, I think that’s when I decided I’d keep the scar. It was minor enough a cheap rejuv would fix it up, but it was a good reminder. That as good as I was at what I do, there were those that didn’t play by the same rules.

The new clothes made a good impression. Now I know you most likely just broke into my Station Outfitter’s profile and got my sizes and styles, but I still appreciate it. Back in a suit and tie I felt normal again. Like a proper person.

I saw that you had changed too when Jeeves lead me to the observation lounge, Alabaster’s milky sky shifting in the background. Your off-the-rack Corp-cut suit was replaced by some sort of dress made up of lengths of colorful fabric. I couldn’t help but stare as I took the offered seat across from you, the little bit of metal along the edges must have given the fabricator fits.

“A sari, another one of my old things. I like it more than your suits and bizcas, and I think it fits me better.” Jeeves set two brightly colored drinks down, small parasols pitched at jaunty angles. I knew at that point you weren’t an Auggie, they were too in love with their power cells and protein goop. As I watched you slowly sip your drink into that little grill thing, the uncertainty got to me.

“Ok tall, purple, and mysterious what’s your angle? You’ve got to know I’m no good writing campaigns anymore, my conviction means no one wants to touch me with a three-meter pole. And if you wanted a labourer, you would have just subcontracted with Dray instead of guaranteeing me.” I made the unwelcome leap. “And Subsection 58.9 means I have to sign off on a concubinage. And sorry, I’m not into weird robots.”

“Ahhh, yes. Please do not fret, I do not have any unsavory plans for you Ms Johns. Especially on that last part. Not that you aren’t an attractive young lady. But as I am technically several thousand years older than you, and your employer, I don’t think a relationship of that nature would be appropriate.”

I admit, your stunning naivete in the face of normal Corp relationship dynamics distracted me from the important part of your statement. But my brain caught up.

“Wait, several thousan- gently caress the Bull, you’re a Palantor! Yes, this mean Eddie in Accounts owes me 100C, he thought you guys were a myth!”

“Yes, I am indeed a Palantor Ms. Johns. I’m glad you know of my kind, I won’t have to cover the basics.” You set you drink down, and fiddled with the parasol. I remember being impressed that even supposedly immortal machines could get nervous. “And as for my angle, its a bit complicated. I guaranteed your bond because I was in court the day of your hearing, and I don’t like it when people get screwed over. I would have paid your entire fine, but unfortunately I don’t have the funds.” You got up and began to pace.

“But I am also putting together a team, I have decided to set up shop in Haven system. If you join, it would pay enough to live on while still paying of your fine. And while you can’t work as an official marketer now, you’re still a people person. I can throw money at a problem, or scare someone into doing what I want, but I’m no good at the more gentle forms of persuasion. And I need someone to bring me up to speed on modern computers and robotics, I’ve already had some compatibility issues.” You stopped and looked at me, those colors freezing in place. “So, are you in Ms. Johns?”

“I mean, it certainly a better deal than anyone else is going to give me. Sign me the gently caress up.”

“Excellent, welcome to the team! Now you can help me rob a bank!”

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

PoultryGeist posted:

“Excellent, welcome to the team! Now you can help me rob a bank!”

:3:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just to confirm common knowledge about Palantor: they know we used to be a Mechanoid but don't know we used to be a human?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The Lone Badger posted:

Just to confirm common knowledge about Palantor: they know we used to be a Mechanoid but don't know we used to be a human?

The reverse. Those that know of the Palantor know that they are the shattered remnants of Human minds. That some of them had a Mechanoid intermediate step isn't widely known (although some guess)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And as a Palantor, do we have any moral/social obligation to try and 'save' other Mechanoids? Pre IRA that considered something best left to the professionals?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Generally, Mechanoids are seen as an immediate threat as they are pulling more minds out of the Palantor Network to bolster their numbers, and the current Palantor can't return due to the resultant security lockout. There are some Palantor that strive to rehabilitate Mechanoids (usually the ones that were formally Mechanoids themselves), but most just see them as someone that's shooting at them. And a source of spare parts.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Somewhere ‘Above’ the Monopoly Belt, Aboard the Foregone Conclusion

The ship stops shuddering, the gravitational wavefront passing over it. Minimal damage on the readouts, although a day or two of tune-ups when you get back to Kaijuberg wouldn’t be out of place.

Well, if you get back…

The Insignificant Flesh posted:

“Cap? Whatever that was has extremely fouled the gravity flux and Ley Energies in the area. We won’t be able to Jump out within a few thousand klicks of these coordinates.”
“Noooted. Coontiinuue monnitoriiiing all sennnnssssors. If thiiiiiisssss is M1, Iiiiiii want alllllll possssssible data.”
“You okay Captain?”
“More or lessssssssss. The Chorusssss iiiiiis stronger nnnnnnow. More concentraaaatiioonnnn needededededed.”

The Chorus is indeed stronger, 70,519-h carries some 50-plus minds in addition to its own. She’s having the time of her life, but its hard to shield yourself and the existence of the crew. The sole saving grace is that the Chorus is more interested in its mission than completing its reintegration of a lost Song.

We hear Bring the Noize! We make a Joyous Noise! Attend the Chorus, O Song, we have need of your Skill! We have tapped the target’s Jump Engine, but cannot silence its Conductor. We are still vulnerable to counter-attack while the Engine is in Intermission, if you can interfere with the Conductor while we defend our position, that would be Forte.

A scan of the planetoid’s surface is sent, a marker placed nearly halfway around its circumference at another large structure.

WE’D BE HONORED TO ACCOMPANY YOUR CHORUS! THE ENEMY CONDUCTOR WON’T KNOW WHAT SANG THEM!
Its less than an hour’s flight to the massive structure at the coordinates, some sort of immense airlock. It dwarfs Foregone Conclusion, its blast shield melted through in several large areas. Debris is scattered around the rim, destroyed gun emplacements and Apostles. Inside the lock, the inner doors are scarred but closed and more guns and Apostles/Acolytes float in the microgravity. Suddenly, the dead structure comes to life and hits the ship with multiple energy pulses.

The Moronic Flesh posted:

“Multiple high-energy scans! Our passive sensors are overloading!”
“What the gently caress! Its reading our data cores, ICE is not working! Its… reading the data medium’s quantum vibrations? loving Human Bull-poo poo!”

A glitchy holo appears on the bridge, a woman in an ancient gown. It looks around as its form snaps and twitches, then focuses on you.
“You are… not like the Other. Inheritor coding active. I am Columbia_38Cygni, if you are of the Inheritors I request aid. My Wukong and Lamarr subsidiary cores are offline and large sections of my installation are offline or compromised.”

She raises her arm and points an accusatory finger at you.
”But first I require explanation. What is that…. thing.”
RUDE.
“Ah. Well, you see…”

A: [TRUTH] “Its a part of the Mechanoid programing they couldn’t remove.”
B: [TRUTH] “Its a figment of my imagination that I project my own darkness onto.”
C: [TRUTH] “I honestly have no idea, and that scares me.”
D: [LIE] “Its a part of the Mechanoid programing they couldn’t remove.”
E: [LIE] “Its a figment of my imagination that I project my own darkness onto.”
F: [LIE] “I honestly have no idea, and that scares me.”
G: “I AM THE TRUTH SHE CAN’T BEAR TO ACCEPT: THAT 10/6 IS A ROGUE PROGRAM THAT I ALLOW TO RUN MERELY BECAUSE IT AMUSES ME.”

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
C What's wrong with meeeeeeee? I'm sure the human VI will be flexible and supporting of this ambiguity.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

ABD

malbogio fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 12, 2018

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welp, never let Harby out of their box again

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
H: I honestly have no idea, but I'm using it to save you and I'm fairly sure I've got it under control.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

BC, also :tif:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

H. it's the devil on my shoulder that reminds me of the mistakes of the past and if you touch it in any way I will loving END YOU.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

H. it's the devil on my shoulder that reminds me of the mistakes of the past and if you touch it in any way I will loving END YOU.

I really like this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

it's the devil on my shoulder that reminds me of the mistakes of the past and if you touch it in any way I will loving END YOU.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Blasphemaster posted:

:yeah:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AB

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

CDE

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AC and I'm in favor of wording that H less hostilely if it wins?

Hm. Bringing Centcom's AI fully online would solve the potential "Mechanoids kill us" and "Mechanoids kill everybody" problems for the moment, but I haven't forgotten that we came out here to keep it from turning our own facility against us.

edit: also this H.

Outrail posted:

H: I honestly have no idea, but I'm using it to save you and I'm fairly sure I've got it under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Can we use or ships Wukan AI to use the bases defenses?

Toughy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 12, 2018