Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Doc M posted:

The prerendered FMVs on the PSone RE games certainly didn't age well. I especially like how the zombie in the cop car in RE2's intro (which scared the poo poo out of me when I saw it as a kid) just has Leon's head model.

Its like in Silent Hill 2 where all the dead bodies are just James' character model.

It's deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Obviously, Leon and Claire died in the crash. The rest of RE2, RE4, Code Veronica, RE6 and the Revelations games are just hallucinations! :pseudo:

I'm sure there's someone out there who has made a two-hour-long video about this exact topic.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

One of the ongoing theories on some forum about re 1.5 was that at the end Leon would be infected and turn into a zombie, thanks in part because of that reused model and a translated interview from like 1998 that if re1.5 had come out it would be the end of the series.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doc M posted:

The prerendered FMVs on the PSone RE games certainly didn't age well. I especially like how the zombie in the cop car in RE2's intro (which scared the poo poo out of me when I saw it as a kid) just has Leon's head model.
This confirms my time travel theory: the zombie was Leon's son.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
RE7 has hosed with my head in such a way. Two nights in a row I've dreamt of being chased through a decrepit mansion by Jack & Marguerite Baker. I gotta go through this game again.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

codo27 posted:

Is there any greater sign of shaky mental health than anything beyond a mild fascination with Japanese culture in a white person?

There is nothing worse than someone with a mild fascination with it who also has no idea how the language even works

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vic posted:

Its like in Silent Hill 2 where all the dead bodies are just James' character model.

It's deep.

For the longest time people would argue that was on purpose, given Silent Hill as a whole, and there was no way to really say 'that's wrong'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

For the longest time people would argue that was on purpose, given Silent Hill as a whole, and there was no way to really say 'that's wrong'.

Considering the whole plot yeah, it’s up in the air whether it was a definite choice. But then SH3 used Angela from 2 as one or two corpses in 3.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think that just speaks how well designed SH2 is as a whole if the developers can get away with it instead of breaking the immersion. Even if its just a fan interpretation.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 11, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Started Re7 last night. That was intense. The basement area was hell and died a dozen times against the molded, probably because I did not realize you can get the shotgun. Had my showdown against Jack and it was fun.

The game is suprisingly tough on Normal but now I got bunch supplies saved up so I think I'll have essier time.

I dont necessarily like how a lot of items are hidden do well in the room you have to do pixel perfect hunting to find them. Psychostimulants are a thing so I guess it's fine.

The graphics are pretty amazing but its shame they arent as interactive like in Prey. I like the detailed animations in first person.

Playing this game with headphones is the poo poo. I could hear the floorboards creaking as Jack got closer.

I just realized some interactable items hide supplies if you twist and turn them like in REmake. Thats cool.

So far the game has been suprisingly action packed and I think thats fine. RE games usually have a lot of enemies. Makes repeated playthroughs more interesting.

The game has suprisingly many mechanics at play like upgrading abilities, crafting and how the combat works. Very different from most first person horror games.

Gonna play some more later this evening.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doc M posted:

I wonder how much of that was from the production company working on the cutscenes having to throw out all the RE 1.5 stuff and start all over again perhaps in a shortened time frame

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Played a bit of RE7 again. Killed Marguerite who was suprisingly tame compared to Jack. At least when I found the flamethrower parts. The little loop to the basement I had to do to get the red card made little sense since you can easily run past all the enemies. The pistol feels like a peashooter at this point against the molded but a well aimed shotgun seems to do the trick.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoRrd3FqXWY

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Managed to get through Lucas' trap house.

I really liked the characterisation they did here. Lucas is incredibly smart but hosed up by the infection. The whole barn segment was really tense and you could even outsmart him by using traps against the molded.

Even if the runs out of steam later Im really liking everything so far.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The game peaks with the Father and Son encounters. Last part of the game is stretched out too much, but still enjoyable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I find it hilarious I can trap molded by luring them into rooms and closing the doors.

Maybe this is less viable on Madhouse?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 13, 2018

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Nah it's super viable on Madhouse.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

That seems like a major oversight. A big feature of these games ever since like RE4 has been that the infected can come through doors and windows and I totally expected the molded just to tear through them like paper.

The opening intro scene and the song is fantastic btw. Whats with really good intros in FPS games lately? (Prey had an awesome intro song)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DOOM is the obvious answer if we're limited to FPS games.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Really want to play Doom but I’d be limited to the Switch to play it and like hell im paying full price for that right now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
oh man Doom is so fuckin' good, definitely play it if you get a chance.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Played the boat part yesterday. It was actually pretty good. Really tense and spooky.

I liked the plot twist. Mia is a pretty badass. A jerk, but a suprising badass

Unfortunately I missed the machine gun so that was pretty disappointing. Had hard time defending myself with limited supplies and had to run away a lot.

I seem to have missed the repair kits that let me fix broken guns, but I can leave that to a second playthrough

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 14, 2018

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Played the boat part yesterday. It was actually pretty good. Really tense and spooky.

I liked the plot twist. Mia is a pretty badass. A jerk, but a suprising badass

Unfortunately I missed the machine gun so that was pretty disappointing. Had hard time defending myself with limited supplies and had to run away a lot.

I seem to have missed the repair kits that let me fix broken guns, but I can leave that to a second playthrough

There's actually a repair kit right under the stairs when you leave the mansion for the first time!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Tried out that REmake HD randomizer mod after watching CarcinogenSDA have a go at it. It was really fun! There are some bugs as expected because the mod is still in alpha (bees sound like vomiting/crawling zombies or play the headshot noise, chimeras do not play friendly with all level geometry so may need a room reset). Very easy to install and you can choose to randomize just items or items and enemies. Highlights:

Played as Jill (of course). In sections where Barry NPC partners with you he sometimes gets randomizes into an enemy. I got my lockpick from the Helipad tyrant in the main hall.

Bees. Lots of bees.

Sharks too, and they don't just flop about, they act as if they're in water complete with bubble effects!

My first run ended en route to the guard house in the courtyard where the three zombie dogs had been replaced by three helipad tyrants.

Yawn 2 was replaced with a chimera. Lisa Trevor was replaced by Yawn 2. Lab Tyrant was replaced with a single zombie. Lisa also replaced the sharks in the aqua ring.

I'm not sure if it was down to my seed but I'm not sure if it's possible to get Richard's shotgun. Yawn was not Yawn when I went i to the attic so I left Richard in there, came back after hearing the death scream and still nothing. It might be more beneficial to let him die and make V-Jolt instead because I got a lot of empty bottles for mixing so that room mustve been a treasure trove.

I still got Jill's best ending.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Does anyone have full and accurate list how to unlock special items in RE7? Including all the alternate methods

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Was any content cut out of Resident Evil 7? I kept expecting Aunt Rhody Baker to show up but she never did, which was disappointing considering how Capcom made a song for a trailer teasing her appearance alongside the rest of the Bakers. I thought it was going to be revealed Aunt Rhody was the old woman in the wheelchair who keeps showing up in the Baker mansion, but no. Was Aunt Rhody nixed due to time/budget constraints? Was there going to be a boss fight against her?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Contingency Plan posted:

Was any content cut out of Resident Evil 7? I kept expecting Aunt Rhody Baker to show up but she never did, which was disappointing considering how Capcom made a song for a trailer teasing her appearance alongside the rest of the Bakers. I thought it was going to be revealed Aunt Rhody was the old woman in the wheelchair who keeps showing up in the Baker mansion, but no. Was Aunt Rhody nixed due to time/budget constraints? Was there going to be a boss fight against her?
It's just an old folk song, with the verses rewritten.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Contingency Plan posted:

this post is very very funny but no it's just an old american folk song

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Contingency Plan posted:

jack's dog got cut (you can see a picture of it in lucas saw room.) but i don't think much else did.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They should have cut the boat part out and made the family part a bit longer

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I can see kinda why they have the boat part and everything after in, even if it is disappointing.

All the family stuff in RE7 starts hella strong but it's like as they were developing the concept someone suddenly went "poo poo this is a Resident Evil game" so they had to scramble together something with an evil corporation and bioweapons and just sort of crudely tacked it on to what could've easily been a natural ending point to the game. If the game was just dealing with the family with vague hints of evil science going on I don't know if you could really call it a Resident Evil game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I don't get the detractors for the boat part. The last boss though is just a boring DPS race. That's the real issue.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The boat just overstayed its welcome, IMO. The Manor and guest house were wonderful, intimately designed. The boat was just grey corridors and Metal piping.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't get the detractors for the boat part. The last boss though is just a boring DPS race. That's the real issue.

It's fine on its own, but RE7 had a really solid identity with the family house (if that even makes sense) and could have leaned on it a lot more. The house was a great setting with lots of atmosphere and nooks and crannies. The boat is all big wide corridors that were basically copy-pasted together. You're given a machine gun with lots of ammo and there's no longer the traditional 'Resident Evil' gameplay.

Like ishikabibble mentioned, the game fell into the trap of needing to put in Umbrella-type plot elements when it would have been perfectly fine without. I would have preferred the player character just barely making it out of there alive, with nothing but burning questions to ask, and a society wholly skeptical of his claims. Just like how the survivor from the RE7 demo mini-story was unable to prove what he/she experienced, thus letting the Bakers (and their overlords) get off scot-free.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird replaying RE7 because Jack 100% feels like the final boss but you still have like 2 hours left with the boat and the mines

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

Tried out that REmake HD randomizer mod

Played as Jill (of course). In sections where Barry NPC partners with you he sometimes gets randomizes into an enemy. I got my lockpick from the Helipad tyrant in the main hall.

Aww, now this I want to see. Model swaps in cutscenes are simple enough, but I almost always get a kick out of them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

WaltherFeng posted:

That seems like a major oversight. A big feature of these games ever since like RE4 has been that the infected can come through doors and windows and I totally expected the molded just to tear through them like paper.

The opening intro scene and the song is fantastic btw. Whats with really good intros in FPS games lately? (Prey had an awesome intro song)

Most games frontload their budget so it makes a good first impression

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Backhand posted:

Aww, now this I want to see. Model swaps in cutscenes are simple enough, but I almost always get a kick out of them.

If you want to check it out the download is here: http://benn-gaming.co.uk/rerandomizer.html

It's super easy to set up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The boat is totally RE gameplay though? The flashback sequence was a bit too long tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's fine on its own, but RE7 had a really solid identity with the family house (if that even makes sense) and could have leaned on it a lot more. The house was a great setting with lots of atmosphere and nooks and crannies. The boat is all big wide corridors that were basically copy-pasted together. You're given a machine gun with lots of ammo and there's no longer the traditional 'Resident Evil' gameplay.

Like ishikabibble mentioned, the game fell into the trap of needing to put in Umbrella-type plot elements when it would have been perfectly fine without. I would have preferred the player character just barely making it out of there alive, with nothing but burning questions to ask, and a society wholly skeptical of his claims. Just like how the survivor from the RE7 demo mini-story was unable to prove what he/she experienced, thus letting the Bakers (and their overlords) get off scot-free.

Reminds me of tomb raider, where I was 100% sure everything was going to be explained with nazi science since it was released during the "gritty and realistic" era of games. Nope. Batshit ringu psychic ghost and demons :stare: