Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Deus Ex doesn't hold up today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Beef Turret posted:

Shut your filthy mouth.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Gaming can be loving horribly detrimental to your development as a human being and is used more often as nought a medium for people do disassociate and escape from... Well everything.

modern life is a minefield of things that are detrimental to your development as a human being though. becoming a gamer is much better than smoking crack, becoming a scientologist, or going into marketing. it's all a matter of perspective

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

modern life is a minefield of things that are detrimental to your development as a human being though. becoming a gamer is much better than smoking crack, becoming a scientologist, or going into marketing. it's all a matter of perspective
Having a better addiction is not something to be proud of.

Also Monkey ball bowling was best Game cube game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Beef Turret posted:

A whole bunch of janky stuff in that game that gets forgiven for reasons of old was bad at the time too. Deus Ex was an 8/10 game at best.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Having a better addiction is not something to be proud of.

that's not what they said

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beef Turret posted:

half-life 2 doesn't hold up today and doom 3 would have been the better game of 2004 if not for the stupid flashlight thing

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

that's not what they said

They?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm currently playing the GMDX mod and they fixed the retarded jumping (you can mantle ledges now, holy poo poo i never knew i needed this), patched the unbalanced skill system, and fixed like 400 other small things that sucked. Only reason ppl still remember Deus Ex is because they were 13 and it was the first time they played a AAA game with woke political poo poo in it, imo

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is good game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mole mania was amazing

The Dennis System posted:

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is good game.

I thought that was a common opinion?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

poverty goat posted:

half-life 2 doesn't hold up today and doom 3 would have been the better game of 2004 if not for the stupid flashlight thing

The flashlight was good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they is a gender neutral pronoun referring to the poster you quoted, get with the times goober

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Beef Turret posted:

I'm currently playing the GMDX mod and they fixed the retarded jumping (you can mantle ledges now, holy poo poo i never knew i needed this), patched the unbalanced skill system, and fixed like 400 other small things that sucked. Only reason ppl still remember Deus Ex is because they were 13 and it was the first time they played a AAA game with woke political poo poo in it, imo

:one:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

poverty goat posted:

They should have called Doom 3 something else

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

FoolyCharged posted:

I thought that was a common opinion?

You're probably right. I thought I remembered a lot of people were saying it was too hard.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Yep. A good game, not a good Doom. I'm glad they realized it and corrected it with Doom 4 though. Looking forward to HELL ON EARTH 2.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Like wtf were they thinking with those Doom 3 cacodemons.

I think Doom 3's Mancubus was the best so far though I like it a lot better than 2016's.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided isn't THAT bad

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a really good game

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

TheScott2K posted:

Perhaps Retard 3

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doom 3: Compliance Officer, where you check everyone's PDA to make sure they're not leaking opsec details to Satan while talking about what kind of sandwich they were eating

All the guns look, sound, and feel like toys

Completely irritating level design in pretty much every respect, from map layout to enemy placement

Looked like poo poo compared to HL2 on the things that actually matter, particularly character models

Not a good Doom game and not a good Resident Evil game either

Doom 3 is one of the worst shooters ever made.

HL2's badness comes from its geeky obsession with dumb physics puzzles that feel increasingly quaint as time goes on, and the horrible and 8,000-year long jet ski level, other than that it's aged quite well and its atmosphere and detail is on another loving level. People were waiting for HL3, and trying to forget about Doom 3.

nuDoom doesn't have much talking but still has too much for a Doom game. It also has virtually zero replay value despite having an entire, now-abandoned mode dedicated to that idea. It's good but lacks in key areas.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Doom 3: Compliance Officer, where you check everyone's PDA to make sure they're not leaking opsec details to Satan while talking about what kind of sandwich they were eating

Completely irritating level design in pretty much every respect, from map layout to enemy placement

Looked like poo poo compared to HL2 on the things that actually matter, particularly character models

HL2's badness comes from its geeky obsession with dumb physics puzzles that feel increasingly quaint as time goes on, and the horrible and 8,000-year long jet ski level, other than that it's aged quite well and its atmosphere and detail is on another loving level. People were waiting for HL3, and trying to forget about Doom 3.

nuDoom doesn't have much talking but still has too much for a Doom game. It also has virtually zero replay value despite having an entire, now-abandoned mode dedicated to that idea. It's good but lacks in key areas.

ew, dude.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

SnapMap seems really intuitive and that's neat to me I love map making

The Hamster Man
May 1, 2017

frajaq posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided isn't THAT bad

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a really good game

I actually agree with you here, I just beat Mankind Divided and thought it was a solid game. The game didn't feel too abrupt or short to me, but that's because I spent an absurd amount of time exploring Prague and ignoring the main missions. Prague was a great hub. It improves the clunkiness of the combat of Human Revolution, though I thought the fight animations were cooler in Human Revolution, and I miss the foldey sleek taser from Human Revolution. One problem I do have with Mankind Divided is the art style is waaaay too dense. It's a complete clusterfuck for the eyes, with every environment just absolutely littered with garbage, boxes, parts, etc. It's visually way too busy, so you basically need to use Smart Vision just to pick out key features. Contrast with Human Revolution, or Dishonored, where even when there's visually dense or complex environments, they're clean enough for you to focus on key objects.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

would pre-order the gently caress out of this, not gonna lie

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Beef Turret posted:

this is entirely correct

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Hamster Man posted:

but that's because I spent an absurd amount of time exploring Prague and ignoring the main missions.

Oh yeah there's something funny about a master hacker Adam Jensen that just invades every single security system he finds just to look at his neighbor dirty emails or something

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

A whole bunch of janky stuff in that game that gets forgiven for reasons of old was bad at the time too. Deus Ex was an 8/10 game at best.

It's the worst great game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Deus Ex was groundbreaking for taking skill point systems and poo poo like that and putting it into a first person shooter with lots of side quests.

gently caress that stupid game, thanks for ruining games

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Sodomy Hussein posted:

paul blart 3d

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This mans opinions are correct

Doom 3 was laughably bad. Lifeless, dull and with the lamest weapins everå

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Uh it has a literal claw machine puzzle that you control with your mouse to control a lever to control the claw and in the two player mod you can pick each other up with it and leave them hanging forever so it's actually the best doom.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Betrayal at Krondor did a better job at being a JRPG than actual 90s JRPGs managed to do.

I honestly want another game like that to come out (modernised of course).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Not gonna argue with Doom 3's weapons lineup being real bad.

I agree with Deus Ex Mankind Divided being alright, but man is it obvious that it's only the first half of a story. Was loving floored when it ended.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

You're probably right. I thought I remembered a lot of people were saying it was too hard.

Goons can be babies when it comes to difficulty. (I am including myself in this. I have a long history of whining about challenging things on the forums and then immediately succeeding at that challenging thing and feeling like an idiot about it.)

It's pretty widely accepted that DKC Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformer games ever made.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

Goons can be babies when it comes to difficulty. (I am including myself in this. I have a long history of whining about challenging things on the forums and then immediately succeeding at that challenging thing and feeling like an idiot about it.)

It's pretty widely accepted that DKC Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformer games ever made.

I got it a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It's hard, especially if you're not just trying to get to the end of each level, but it's a good hard. Also DK's grunts and stuff are hilarious to me for some reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

I got it a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It's hard, especially if you're not just trying to get to the end of each level, but it's a good hard. Also DK's grunts and stuff are hilarious to me for some reason.

Yeah DK's sounds (and animations) are fantastic

Tropical Freeze is one of those games where "tough, but fair" applies pretty well. Like obviously no game is totally free of potential bullshit but Tropical Freeze's difficulty never felt unfair to me and that's really good

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Harrow posted:

Yeah DK's sounds (and animations) are fantastic

Tropical Freeze is one of those games where "tough, but fair" applies pretty well. Like obviously no game is totally free of potential bullshit but Tropical Freeze's difficulty never felt unfair to me and that's really good

A lot of the original DKC felt unfair.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yes it did. I don't really like going back and replaying the original DKC anymore because it makes me feel like I am very bad at video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

99% of games from before the Xbox 360/PS3 era are borderline unplayable

which is fine because the really good games stand out as timeless classics