Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Emmy nominations are live right now. Nothing too shocking (except The Terror getting blanked) but GLOW got a best comedy nod

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1017433964267569153

Danson got nominated for Good Place but the show itself did not

e:Full list here

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1017435011530874881

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

If you're looking for more Swords and Sorcery with hot chicks make sure to check out The Shannara Chronicles. It's not very good at all but it's pretty campy and kind of fun. Honestly the worst part was the abundance of "young people music" being played entirely too loud.

I only watched the first season (there was a second, right?) but the episode with the steampunk hipsters sitting around watching Star Trek as their 'evidence' of ancient space travel, and booing Spock because they assume he's an elf, was hilariously cheesy in all the right ways.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zoux posted:

Emmy nominations are live right now. Nothing too shocking (except The Terror getting blanked) but GLOW got a best comedy nod

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1017433964267569153

Danson got nominated for Good Place but the show itself did not

e:Full list here

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1017435011530874881

Jesse Plemons getting a nod for Black Mirror is pretty unexpected and cool. Zero chance of winning, but hey!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evan Rachel Wood loving seriously

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hakkesshu posted:

Evan Rachel Wood loving seriously

She's got maybe the least compelling role in that show imo which is saying something.

e: just give her award to Jeffrey Wright, he always looks so sad all the time in everything, and that way he and Sterling K. Brown can both win

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No Twin Peaks noms, invalid list

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Americans got the noms for Best Drama and Best Leads Male/Female. Don't care if they win, just happy for the recognition.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

No Twin Peaks noms, invalid list

That's because twin peaks was an 18 hour movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, Netflix just broke HBOs 18 year streak of most nominations

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

That's because twin peaks was an 18 hour movie.

There’s a TV movie and miniseries category!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s a TV movie and miniseries category!

That the Terror didn't get nominated for! Instead the Alienist did! ANd some show called Genius: Picasso I've never heard of!

e: Oh it stars Antonio Banderas that's why. Gotta give treats to the Big Hollywood Actors if you want them to keep doing TV shows

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was hoping for a dark horse candidate for supporting actor. I just finished Luke Cage season 2 and the guy that plays Shades was really really good, and way better than season 1, but part of that was the writing I feel.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, Netflix just broke HBOs 18 year streak of most nominations

lol they’ll never get it back either

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luke Cage wouldn't be eligible this year, pretty sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is movies but MI continues to be arguably the best action franchise...ever?

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1017213237249617920

I like Tom Cruise I don't care about his Scientology :colbert: Liz Moss either :colbert::colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He spent like a year to get his helicopter license for the movie so yeah it better be good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That comedy list is pretty good, is this the first time Modern Family didn't get a nod?

Also, weirdest awards thing of recent times is in 2017 Moana got nominated for a Billboard award for best soundtrack. It lost. So for some reason, it got renominated for this years awards, and it won. It's really strange, and I don't know if they meant to submit Coco and someone hosed up or what.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I found some TP nods we all good.

And yeah this is the first time Modern Family didn’t get a comedy series nom. About time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think for emmy season we should all post in Variety-speak more

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Man, that is a ton of Game of Thrones and Westworld nominations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big Mouth’s “Totally Gay” getting nominated for Best Original Song is my favourite nom so far

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Wouldn't The Terror be nominated next year? Is this not "best of 2017"? (Awards show eligibility windows always confuse me, sorry.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I can't tell if it's intentional or tone deaf or stupidity that Succession played "which side are you on" at the end of a show about 1%ers. What the gently caress. Tfe, do you know anything about this? Am I being whooshed?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think everything up until the end of May was eligible

Here’s the full 68-page list of noms: http://m.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/70th-nominations-list-v1.pdf?2018= (mobile version sorry)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Megan got her nomination, the world is a just and fair place. For 5 minutes at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What the gently caress is the Alienist? It sounds cool but I don't think I've ever seen or heard anyone talk about it ever?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's an okay show with the most notable things about it being the cast and how grisly it is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was a well-liked book that got turned into a show that nobody seemed to particularly care for.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wouldn't The Terror be nominated next year? Is this not "best of 2017"? (Awards show eligibility windows always confuse me, sorry.)

I don't know, but that show deserves something. I haven't managed to finish it, it's so good at what it wants to be that it's hard to watch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

He spent like a year to get his helicopter license for the movie so yeah it better be good

He also apparently kept insisting they had to have the nose diving barrel roll stunt and he was going to do it himself, even though most professional pilots won't attempt it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Croatoan posted:

Hulu's great especially if you're an old and still enjoy poo poo like throwing on Newhart.

Also I feel bad for anyone who binged Handmaid's Tale in a week. For me it was soul crushing enough to watch just an episode at a time. S01E03 almost made me stop. drat that ending.

It really wasn't that bad, especially since I've read the book so many times.

Also Tom Cruise is an insane man and I have mad respect for him insisting to do crazy stunts himself still.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The Alienist was decent if you like crime shows. I'm guessing it got nominated because it was a really gritty period piece with a fairly big name cast (and a side theme of overcoming bigotry and police corruption). It checks a lot of boxes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Matt Zerella posted:

I can't tell if it's intentional or tone deaf or stupidity that Succession played "which side are you on" at the end of a show about 1%ers. What the gently caress. Tfe, do you know anything about this? Am I being whooshed?

I'm fairly certain it's meant to be ironic considering the show's creator and showrunner is Adam McKay who directed and wrote the film version of The Big Short which was specifically about how companies hosed people over hard.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Just to throw myself behind the bus:
"Unfinished Business" (the boxing episode) is one of my favourite BSG Episodes. As is the King-Arthur one of Babylon 5.
And despite the underwhelming resolution, BSG as a whole is a great show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1017497372782362625

Lol. What are they gonna say, that you're a child molester

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm fairly certain it's meant to be ironic considering the show's creator and showrunner is Adam McKay who directed and wrote the film version of The Big Short which was specifically about how companies hosed people over hard.

I'm more referring to a show about a media conglomerate company. When media conglomerates close newspapers and websites because staff unionized IRL. Just left a really bad taste in my mouth, ironic or not. I love TBS though (almost more than the book).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's a crime that Rachel Bloom wasn't nominated for anything. I know people had misgivings about how S3 ended or whatever, but her performance was incredible.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That best supporting actress drama category is insane :eyepop:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1017497372782362625

Lol. What are they gonna say, that you're a child molester

Oh cool, Sasha Baron Cohen is doing a show where he mocks dumbfuck assholes and dumbfuck rear end in a top hat pedophiles? GG Roy Moore for signal boosting it, I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm excited Sasha Baron Cohen is making another project where he dupes people.

I hope he dupes Paula Abdul again. idc if she has little to do with the subject matter of Who is America?. I just like it when he pranks her.