Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never smoked, so I can't say for sure if it's true or the placebo effect. I hate the smell and taste of cigarette smoke so I avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I do not smoke any more and idk about lighter fluid - but you can definitely taste something funky when you light up with a match as it is igniting. But you're already going to flood your lungs with carcinogenics, so who the gently caress cares.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Perestroika posted:

Seriously, those knives are the dumbest loving thing. Having like a leatherman or swiss army knife or something else utility-based is one thing, but most of these are designed specifically for combat. Well, as much as you can design something for "combat" when it's got like a 2" blade. What is even the point of that? You're already carrying a handgun, which tends to be more or less the most effective weapon you can get. What possible circumstance are you expecting where your gun doesn't do the trick but your lovely little tryhard knife makes the difference?

I wouldn't say they are designed for combat as much as designed to look tactiLOL. Same goes for the pens, its targeting the folks that daydream about being John Wick or something.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never smoked, so I can't say for sure if it's true or the placebo effect. I hate the smell and taste of cigarette smoke so I avoid it.

You can taste the lighter fluid when you first light it but after it burns away you can't taste it anymore. Same goes for the phosphorus in matches. Honestly the cleanest burning is butane like a Bic which produces very little flavor.

I smoke cigarettes and don't really care for cigars FWIW.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They all miss the simple fact that John Wick killed three men... with a pencil.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bony tony posted:

They all miss the simple fact that John Wick killed three men... with a pencil.

What kind of pencil?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A loving pencil!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone gave me some cigars once. I have no idea what to do with them.

You could give them to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I get killed by pencil I hope it's something like a Mitsubishi Hi-Uni or an Apsara Gold and not poor poo poo like a Palomino Blackwing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Unrelated, but my favorite little thing about the John Wick movies is that the Russian head mobsters are both played by Swedes. Mikael Nyqvist uses his natural accent, since he's a big-boy actor and whatnot, but Peter Stormare does a really broad Russian accent, because he's used to playing Germans and Russians.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jerry Cotton posted:

If I get killed by pencil I hope it's something like a Mitsubishi Hi-Uni or an Apsara Gold and not poor poo poo like a Palomino Blackwing.

I hope to be owned by a rOtring 600 one day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

I hope to be owned by a rOtring 600 one day

It can be arranged.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

bony tony posted:

Unrelated, but my favorite little thing about the John Wick movies is that the Russian head mobsters are both played by Swedes. Mikael Nyqvist uses his natural accent, since he's a big-boy actor and whatnot, but Peter Stormare does a really broad Russian accent, because he's used to playing Germans and Russians.

My favourite thing is they call him baba yaga.
Who is a witch with a hut with chicken feet.

It's weird.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I know! Chernobog was right there.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

organburner posted:

It's weird.

Baba Yaga is a witch with a chickenfoot hut but shes also fairly fuckin sick re: killing and just ruining people out of the darkness.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Biplane posted:

Baba Yaga is a witch with a chickenfoot hut but shes also fairly fuckin sick re: killing and just ruining people out of the darkness.

Plus, sometimes she ends up helping you and you have NO idea why

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Tactical Vaping, BINCH!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone gave me some cigars once. I have no idea what to do with them.

You eat them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

organburner posted:

It's weird.

It works if you think about the specific mythology of Baba Yaga. Basically Baba Yaga is a witch who lives out in the woods and typically offers assistance to folkloric heroes if they seek her out, but has a pretty strong chance of loving you over and/or cannibalizing you if you're not VERY careful and is generally terrifying as poo poo.

The gist of Wick being Baba Yaga is that he's indispensable to them, but they're also loving terrified of him despite relying on his help.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yeah. It was that 'Oh.' in the first film. That was the realization of a man who understands just how catastrophically badly his son has just hosed up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like that's one of the very few things that the first movie kind of botches, though. Like, I honestly think it would have worked better if the dad was all like "nah, you hosed with Baba Yaga you moron, this is on you and not me" and all the mooks were the son's low-level soldiers. The dad's actions in reaction to the situation don't 100% gel with what we're made to believe he thinks of Wick.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I took it as the mobster knowing his son is a gently caress up, but there (was) still time for him to mature and settle down.

The son picking a fight with John Wick means that the mobster has to choose between trying to save his son, or hanging his son out to dry and hoping that Wick stops with just the son.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Perestroika posted:

What possible circumstance are you expecting where your gun doesn't do the trick but your lovely little tryhard knife makes the difference?

When there's 16 guys but your gun only has 15 bullets. Which you use to slice your throat after you miss every shot.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I don't know guns, knives or lockpicks, but I do know watches. In 99% of EDC pictures, the black tactical rugged watch is some $24.99 piece of poo poo from a mall or mail order catalog.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't really matter since in blind tests no cigar aficionado would ever be able to discern between a supposedly good cigar and a nice big turd. Just close your eyes man.

There's a difference. A guy at work used to smoke these cheapo cigars that smelled like someone doused a trash fire with cat piss. Expensive ones just smell like a burning pallet. Either way, cigars are loving nasty.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

evobatman posted:

I don't know guns, knives or lockpicks, but I do know watches. In 99% of EDC pictures, the black tactical rugged watch is some $24.99 piece of poo poo from a mall or mail order catalog.

you wouldn't want to wear your $10k time piece, do you know how hard it is to wash the blood out of those intricate gears after you take your battle axe to someone asking you what time it is?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

evobatman posted:

The watch might be a Casio G Shock watch. Those things have a cult of their own.

Speaking of edc and watches; those lovely square Casio watches can apparently be used as a timed detonator with some modification. I think it was issued to you after terrorism school er whatever, and having that watch as a native Afgani was basically admitting you were a future bomber. There was a wikileaks thing about it awhile back.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

Speaking of edc and watches; those lovely square Casio watches can apparently be used as a timed detonator with some modification. I think it was issued to you after terrorism school er whatever, and having that watch as a native Afgani was basically admitting you were a future bomber. There was a wikileaks thing about it awhile back.

That’d be the Casio F-91W, the best watch ever made and I will blow you up with a timed IED fight you irl if you disagree. :colbert:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

The watch might be a Casio G Shock watch. Those things have a cult of their own.

I imagine any watch with a piezo alarm could be used as a timed detonator as they'd all put out a high voltage when the alarm turns on.

That being said, my favourite variant is the F-91WG.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

I imagine any watch with a piezo alarm could be used as a timed detonator as they'd all put out a high voltage when the alarm turns on.

Yeah, apparently the Casio watches are favored for being dirt-cheap, ubiquitous, and well-made enough for what they cost to be able to sit in a windy sandpit for hours without crapping out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

British EDC

Wait isn't that one of those Finnish knives? Who is knife crazier you or British teenagers

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Considering that's a 5 Euro bill, I'd say chances are extremely slim that's a 'British ECD'.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

British EDC

Wait isn't that one of those Finnish knives? Who is knife crazier you or British teenagers

I don't know any British teenagers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Matinee posted:

Considering that's a 5 Euro bill, I'd say chances are extremely slim that's a 'British ECD'.

We have our own monopoly money buddy and I refuse to learn any more

e: And the point is there's a perceived epidemic of knife crime so I assume everyone there is armed with scissors and cutlery 24/7

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Jul 14, 2018

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Matinee posted:

Why the gently caress is there a 5 euro in some nerds EDC fetish pic? In case he tactically needs a macdonalds value meal?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Why the gently caress is there a 5 euro in some nerds EDC fetish pic? In case he tactically needs a macdonalds value meal?

You don't carry emergency bus fare in the watch pocket of your jeans? Weird.

e: In a picture containing, among other things, a knife with a Donald Duck decnal on it, actual money is what you find weird?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Milo and POTUS posted:

British EDC

The Finns get their first knife once they can crawl and the collection only builds from there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

That one is pretty clearly a joke since it is just a big pile of knives.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do McD’s value meals cost five euros in some countries?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Do McD’s value meals cost five euros in some countries?

Depends - what the gently caress is a McDonalds value meal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

"EDC Chicago Police Officer"

• Locked thread